daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1341
Metrocracy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

wich MTA lines are 24h open?

---

IMHO

mrsmartman liked this post
Metrocracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1342
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

The NY subway stations that I have seen have been pretty old but there is something very atmospheric about the riveted steelwork and the tiling on the walls. If they had a tenth of the usage they do then they would be spacious but I guess in NYC, any additional space would be gobbled up in no time.

Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1343
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchero View Post
New York subway station are ogly and claustrofobic. I donīt uderstand why the richiest city on hearth doesnīt invest to up today its subway sistem.
Because its stupid to rip out the entire system that works and replace it with a new system. The Stations were built cheaply and thus they seemed cramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It's all because States are too car-centric. No one (or still too few) cares about public transportation.
This is the Northeast its 50/50 here , unless you mean Federal spending that's different.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1344
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
This is the Northeast its 50/50 here...
Not even close. The New York metropolitan area has a 30% transit share, more than double the next metro area; the Northeast corridor is barely in the double-digits in terms of transit usage, to say nothing of the associated states. If you mean to say public opinion / support, people's opinion's will probably reflect their mode of use which still puts transit in the Northeast well below 50%

MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #1345
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarneGator View Post
Not even close. The New York metropolitan area has a 30% transit share, more than double the next metro area; the Northeast corridor is barely in the double-digits in terms of transit usage, to say nothing of the associated states. If you mean to say public opinion / support, people's opinion's will probably reflect their mode of use which still puts transit in the Northeast well below 50%
I'm not talking about Modal share and can give a rats ass about that....i was talking about funding. I go by Ridership , not Modal Share which is think is a stupid way of gauging the Ridership of a system. People do car about Transit , its supported by 60-70% in the Northeast Corridor and by most Republicans from the Northeast. The only section who hates transit is the rural part....

Old September 8th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1346
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I will say while Subway improvements in most people's has slowed it really hasn't there doing work in areas you can't see like the tunnels and switches. The MTA has also shifted to upgrading the crumbling and busy LIRR and MNRR aswell as the Bus network. There currently prepping the MNRR for the Future expansions in the Lower Hudson Valley and Connecticut. Aswell as doing the East Side Access project on the LIRR , purchasing New Rolling stock on the New Haven line and LIRR. There also refurbishing stations along certain lines on the Subway system , there almost done with upgrading all the MNRR stations. Need I remind you on the New Fulton Transit Center in downtown? So they are doing alot , the MTA tends to spread it out evenly across the region.

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #1347
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

I've never been to New York, but I understand that the subway system has been improved over the last two decades and is now much better than it was in the 70's or 80's. I supose they can do more, but that stations are the way they are and would be very expensive and complicated to reform them to make them more roomy, and is not worth either since they work the way they are. They better invest the money in building new lines to extend the service, and in that new lines they do construct spacious, roomy and modern stations.

CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1348
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Cheesh! how come the rationale behind the NY state of mind seems to have been forgot thus far?

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #1349
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Cheesh! how come the rationale behind the NY state of mind seems to have been forgot thus far?
thank you for your input...

BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1350
mhmhashem
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

You can search this pree release

mhmhashem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1351
chuchero

Likes (Received): 4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It's all because States are too car-centric. No one (or still too few) cares about public transportation.
But masive rapid transit in pulblic transport is a politic subject too. To change that is a political subject too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Spending on public utilities, spaces, and facilities (particularly public transit) in the U.S. is usually regarded as wasteful by a large segment of the voting population, especially when the spending goes to the cosmetic aspects of these utilities. If NYC made their subway stations look like the ones you'll find in the "world's most beautiful metro stations" photo threads, the first question on most people's minds (outside of NYC) would be why the money wasn't spent on tax breaks for big business, or on a new highway in the middle of Oklahoma.
But the same people is keeping public facilities on that deplorable state is the same is declining to use public transport to move around the city and the first excuse is just how bad look all this subway stations. Europe does just the opositive and encourages the car adits to change tour public after building good a nice public facilities.

About the idea on people minds if NY makes improvements on its public transportation is just the same as every city around the world train for that politics. Therīs always opositors and the argument is the same too.

Quote:
The U.S. is very car-centric as Fabulaz pointed out, and too few people directly benefit from public transit currently enough for it to matter (which leads to reduced funded and shrinking service and service coverage... a vicious cycle). If we funded our public transit companies as well as we fund our military contractors, New York's stations would probably look as nice as Shanghai's.
But car-centric mind is not something that came by itself, that is the result of a very well planet political schudele planet by Detroit in order to stablich the car as the only alternative when it comes to decide between a car or train to move on diary activities. So that is posible to change from.

Quote:
In the case of NYC, the stations COULD look nicer, but I don't see how they can be made "less claustrophobic". The internal size and configuration of the stations is limited by their original design.
Fisicly is baraly imposible but thereīs tecnical solutions based on light wicht make real improvements on that problems.
chuchero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1352
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Can we stop with Debates that have little to do with the subway. Go start your own thread about Car Centric vs Transit Centric. The MTA has spent at least 15 billion $$ over the past decade in upgrades , not all of it going to the subways. It was evenly disturbed to Regional Railroads , Bus system and Bridges and tunnels....aswell as misc things.... The Coastal Northeast is pretty transit Centric and most people support transit , we do have alot of projects underway or in the engineering / late planning phase. Each County in this region now has a long term Transit plan and the majority of people living in those counties support it. The Way the Subway was built makes it hard to do upgrades or to make it European......why does everything have to be European?

Old September 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1353
trainrover

Quote:
......why does everything have to be European?
(the sarcasm's so convincing!)

Let NY be NY

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1354
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Can we stop with debates that have little to do with the subway.
Quote:
I'm not talking about Modal share and can give a rats ass about that....i was talking about funding. I go by Ridership , not Modal Share which is think is a stupid way of gauging the Ridership of a system. People do car about Transit , its supported by 60-70% in the Northeast Corridor and by most Republicans from the Northeast. The only section who hates transit is the rural part....
Nexis, I'm going to keep this off-topic for this more post because it does need to be made clear that even in the Northeast there isn't the sort of commitment to transit that you claim (in the context of the US). People in the Northeast, above all New York, rely on it a great deal when compared to other areas of the country, as modal share suggests (the benchmark indicator for utility, not raw patronage which is more important for fiscal reports or the endlessly puerile rankings), but in no way does the budgetary reality support your claim that transit enjoys investment parity with roadways. The State of New York is actually pretty close to a 50/50 deal, thanks to the prodigious size and capital needs of the MTA, but no other state begins to approach that level. For example, take a look through New Jersey's multi-year capital plan and you'll see that it plans to spend 79% more on roads than on transit by 2021 (it managed 203% more in FY '11). Massachusetts? 227% more on highways by 2016.
The vague suggestion that people "support" transit, and thus have the political resolve for increased funding, is questionable considering that the people that support it most - residents of the highly dense centers of each metropolitan area - constitute a minority of people/voters along the BosWash corridor, to say nothing of the totality of the Northeastern states (like my earlier post to a statement of yours I misinterpreted). Just look at Nassau and Westchester counties in New York State: both have high transit usage for suburban areas - 16% and 20%, respectively, and with over a 70% modal share when just looking at Manhattan-bound commuters - but most people in those areas are, at best, ambivalent about supporting transit via the 2009-enacted Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax while their politicians decidedly hate it. If few in even highly transit-dependent suburbs are willing to support transit via government money (taxes), how can the claim be made that the whole of the Northeast does?

Last edited by MarneGator; September 10th, 2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added quotes
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1355
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarneGator View Post
Nexis, I'm going to keep this off-topic for this more post because it does need to be made clear that even in the Northeast there isn't the sort of commitment to transit that you claim (in the context of the US). People in the Northeast, above all New York, rely on it a great deal when compared to other areas of the country, as modal share suggests (the benchmark indicator for utility, not raw patronage which is more important for fiscal reports or the endlessly puerile rankings), but in no way does the budgetary reality support your claim that transit enjoys investment parity with roadways. The State of New York is actually pretty close to a 50/50 deal, thanks to the prodigious size and capital needs of the MTA, but no other state begins to approach that level. For example, take a look through New Jersey's multi-year capital plan and you'll see that it plans to spend 79% more on roads than on transit by 2021 (it managed 203% more in FY '11). Massachusetts? 227% more on highways by 2016.
The vague suggestion that people "support" transit, and thus have the political resolve for increased funding, is questionable considering that the people that support it most - residents of the highly dense centers of each metropolitan area - constitute a minority of people/voters along the BosWash corridor, to say nothing of the totality of the Northeastern states (like my earlier post to a statement of yours I misinterpreted). Just look at Nassau and Westchester counties in New York State: both have high transit usage for suburban areas - 16% and 20%, respectively, and with over a 70% modal share when just looking at Manhattan-bound commuters - but most people in those areas are, at best, ambivalent about supporting transit via the 2009-enacted Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax while their politicians decidedly hate it. If few in even highly transit-dependent suburbs are willing to support transit via government money (taxes), how can the claim be made that the whole of the Northeast does?
Right now everything is abit higher on Road spending , but between 2001-2008 Transit spending over took road spending. But the roads have started to fall apart , so now there switching except CT , MD and NOVA which have kept there's. Long Island is the exception to this region , its the most Auto-Centric part of this region and not built around the Railways. Westchester is and has plans to integrate all its suburbs all into BRT and railways. So does Jersey and Connecticut. Honestly i don't care about the current spending , I look at past spending and spending trends. I think all Northeastern states will be 50/50 by 2020 or somewhere near that.

Old September 10th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1356
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1357
Nexis
Dark Wolf

MTA Capital Projects

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1358
trainrover

Quote:
the first question ... would be why the money wasn't spent on tax breaks for big business
The thing that gets me about this position/belief is how it contrasts to a several-minute-long interview I listened to on NPR (or it might've been CBC Radio) one or two weeks ago, whereat the guest declared that corporations were the source of 30% of the US Govt's revenues back in the 1950s, whereas the threshold has now fallen to just 12%, due to the layers and layers of tax loop holes -- I wish I'd remembered which programme broadcast the interview...

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1359
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

There is a blog of the New York Transit Museum worth seeing.
These are some photos from the blog.

96th st. station - 2nd avenue line

Shot at 2011-09-14

96th st. station entrace - 2nd avenue line

Shot at 2011-09-14

model of 86th st. station - second avenue line

Shot at 2011-09-14

34th st. station - 7 line extension

Shot at 2011-09-14

ilustration of 63rd tunnel, 1970's - east side access

Shot at 2011-09-14

They give an explanation of each project with some graphic information, including historical background with photos.
here are the links for each project

2nd avenue subway
http://www.transitmuseumeducation.or...s/secondavenue

7 line extension
http://www.transitmuseumeducation.or...ects/sevenline

East side access
http://www.transitmuseumeducation.or...eastsideaccess

Fulton Transit Center
http://www.transitmuseumeducation.or...rojects/fulton

the defunct Trans-Hudson tunnels
http://www.transitmuseumeducation.org/fbu/projects/the

CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #1360
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

The video says that the 2nd Avenue line is opening 2016. But isn't only a short portion of the line opening by then, with the rest well into the 2020's ?

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway