daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1521
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
it hurts me ! I don't know why but i can't imagine NYC not have a cutting edge new system. This city deserves a new system.
Would you just shut up already , we don't care for a new system...the current system works very well....go troll in another forum...
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1522
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Would you just shut up already , we don't care for a new system...the current system works very well....go troll in another forum...
The current system is old, cranky, noisy and usually dirt. They should reconstruct the lines to higher standards, with CBTC protocols etc.

Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1523
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The current system is old, cranky, noisy and usually dirt. They should reconstruct the lines to higher standards, with CBTC protocols etc.
OK, now pay for it. Difficulty: must deal with clowns currently in Washington and Albany.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1524
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Alot of systems are old , cranky (wtf does that even mean) , noisy and Dirty...

Dirty comes with New Yorkers , notice how clean Urban Jersey's subways and Light Rail are compared to NYC. But thats the fun with NYC , and won't change anytime soon.

The Noise isn't so bad with the Newer trains....

Were installing CBTC on certain lines , its failed so far and is unpopular....it was forced on system by outsiders without employee or system input...it has caused a 6hr delay on the L train the other day.

At the end of the day , the NYC Subway is just fine , maybe needs to be cleaner but functions just fine. And is really fast , the only people who complain about the subway on this site are the European trolls who bash the US and think they know whats best for this region and country.... At the end of the day , just leave us alone , we don't tell your country in certain forums how it should run things or throw nasty comments on your subway threads....why do it to us?

Last edited by Nexis; December 7th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1525
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

NYC Subway mostly just needs to renovate older stations and linew. The problem is funding it's insanely expensive and NYC still has way better public transportation than every other city i the US. Maybe that's what's hurting NYC it's cheaper to build light rail in dallas, salt lake city, or seattle than build another subway line new york(not that that's okay).

sweet-d está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1526
Suburbanist
on the road

CBTC is the only feasible way to increase intervals. MTA is one of the most hermetic, narrow-minded, ingrown-thinking transit agencies in North America or in the World for that matter. It is past due external agents and consultants shake their extremely outdated, ultra-conservative technical culture upside down.

CBTC has been deployed successfully in many systems around the World, new or old.

Old December 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1527
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
NYC Subway mostly just needs to renovate older stations and linew. The problem is funding it's insanely expensive and NYC still has way better public transportation than every other city i the US. Maybe that's what's hurting NYC it's cheaper to build light rail in dallas, salt lake city, or seattle than build another subway line new york(not that that's okay).
The problem is the lack of space, not much for tunnels (easier part) as for stations. Consider the case of the Fulton St. Transit Center, for instance...

As for the elevated sections, they need to replace those iron structures with good old concrete, which makes everything (lines, stations, trains) less noisy and less shaky.

Station renovation is expensive, but they needed to fit all station with at least wheel-chair movable elevators ASAP, even if that means delaying expansion. I find it quite outrageous for modern cities like New York, London etc. not to have, in 2011, ALL transit station fit for wheel-chair access.

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1528
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:

At the end of the day , the NYC Subway is just fine , maybe needs to be cleaner but functions just fine. And is really fast , the only people who complain about the subway on this site are the European trolls who bash the US and think they know whats best for this region and country.... At the end of the day , just leave us alone , we don't tell your country in certain forums how it should run things or throw nasty comments on your subway threads....why do it to us?
Please could you stop your agressivity? it's insane!
We just speak about system and you defend it like you would for a mother

Where have you travelled in the world sir?

Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1529
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Were installing CBTC on certain lines , its failed so far and is unpopular....it was forced on system by outsiders without employee or system input...it has caused a 6hr delay on the L train the other day.
It certainly hasn't failed as a project. It's had some technical problems to be sure, but it has nothing to do with not taking advice from MTA employees. The system already runs fine most of the time and eventually its reliability won't even be given a second thought, just like in Madrid, Paris, etc. I for one can't wait for computer precision so I can enjoy the future possibilities of shorter headways and better dispatching.

Quote:
...European trolls who bash the US and think they know whats best for this region and country.... At the end of the day , just leave us alone...
If an outsider has a good idea, why not consider it? I would agree that most forum-goers raise trifle issues - aesthetics, even on clean stations - but if someone were to point out such things as the lack of fare integration with the PATH or commuter trains, they're raising valid concerns. I know you're not closed to "foreign" ideas either because I've seen you elsewhere post support for Alon Levy's New York regional rail proposal, itself inspired by things like the Parisian RER or the numerous S-Bahns in Germany or Switzerland.

Quote:
Please could you stop your agressivity? it's insane!
You haven't really brought anything to the discussion now, have you? You complain about the aesthetics, be it old-looking stations or trains, as though it was the most pressing concern for public transit. Maybe if you argued about the filth or dilapidation of stations, fine (to some extent), but you seem to come across solely as disappointed that the subway doesn't look like Line 14 in Paris.

Last edited by MarneGator; December 7th, 2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added sentence and link
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1530
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
The problem is the lack of space, not much for tunnels (easier part) as for stations. Consider the case of the Fulton St. Transit Center, for instance...

As for the elevated sections, they need to replace those iron structures with good old concrete, which makes everything (lines, stations, trains) less noisy and less shaky.

Station renovation is expensive, but they needed to fit all station with at least wheel-chair movable elevators ASAP, even if that means delaying expansion. I find it quite outrageous for modern cities like New York, London etc. not to have, in 2011, ALL transit station fit for wheel-chair access.
There replacing the steel on the elevated lines , but it would never be replaced with concrete.... well fitting all the stations with ADA is non sense , half the stations have it.... Lack of space is a huge problem hench why making all the stations the ADA would be next to impossible.

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1531
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
....why do it to us?
Probably because they've no clue as to where and how to embark upon a participatory role in their very own democracies.

Quote:
it's insane!
Soyez! prudente ... il vous a répondue très franchement avec de l'honnêté Et cessez d'emporter vos négations-çi ...

Quote:
replacing the steel on the elevated lines , but it would never be replaced with concrete....
Good, that's such a relief

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1532
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Good, that's such a relief
Concrete is far superior for elevated lines. If properly cared for, it doesn't get rusty, and doesn't have to be painted.

Also, it is much more stable in terms of shock and vibration absortion.

That is why I think they should devise a plan to gradually replace all elevated lines with concrete replacements.

That is why you don't see anyone (anywhere) building steel and iron elevated lines at this day and age.

Moreover, concrete allows for massive and decent stations to be built over tracks. You know, stations with complete enclosure of the platforms that never ever let snow or rain to bother passengers, because you can reinforce a couple slabs and build a lot of things over it. Stations instead of "enhanced stops" - with elevators and escalators, that is.

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1533
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Theres alot of extensive work being done, but I just absolutely hate these people who go out of their way to dirty the NYC subways. I think we just need to abandon the old cars and just use the new shiny ones with the LED.

Filipino working in NYC

Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1534
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I think we just need to abandon the old cars and just use the new shiny ones with the LED.
A LOT easier said than done.... but all remaining SMEE cars will be replaced by around 2030.

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #1535
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer

A LOT easier said than done.... but all remaining SMEE cars will be replaced by around 2030.
I hope so. Some of these trains - the C, 5, A to name a few are so bad. Its almost kinda embarassing, but with such a great city, you cant complain right? But I do hope they do change those before I die lol

Filipino working in NYC

Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #1536
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/ny...or-chance.html

Quote:
To Sleep on the Subway, Maybe, but to Dream? Poor Chance

Marcus Yam for The New York Times

Dr. Brandon Foreman, a neurology fellow, was able to fall asleep on the A train to help a researcher study the quality of sleep obtained on the subway.

By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY
Published: December 7, 2011

A ride on the New York subway can be a sensory overload: musicians perform for change; conductors plead to those who hold open train doors to relent; and passengers, often in unimaginably close proximity, subject one another to all sorts of sights, sounds, smells and touches, preferably inadvertent.

Amid all of that, some New Yorkers nevertheless manage to fall asleep. Seats are found, trains begin their rhythmic rattles of movement, and eyelids flutter closed. Gritted jaws loosen, furrowed brows release and heads nod.

People outside of New York may wonder how in a city that never sleeps, so many New Yorkers manage to doze on the subway. There is no law against it, but those who take subway catnaps do so at their own risk; a recent Metropolitan Transportation Authority committee meeting featured a presentation on how criminals seeking iPhones slice open the pockets of dozing passengers.

So are these naps really worth the trouble?

Dr. Carl Bazil, director of the Epilepsy and Sleep Division at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, offered to try to find out.

After Dr. Bazil stepped into an uptown A train on a recent morning, he tried to guess what stage of sleep the nappers onboard were in. He said that to reach Stage 1 sleep, the least restorative of the five stages, riders must be able to slow down their eye movements. To get Stage 2 sleep, riders must relax their muscles and stop moving their eyes entirely.

As Dr. Bazil watched the riders sitting across from him, the nappers’ eyelids fluttered when train doors opened. The riders also seemed to clench their messenger bags and backpacks with death grips.

“I suspect all you get is Stage 1 sleep; it’s not going to be restorative,” he said. “It’s kind of wasted sleep.”

At a reporter’s request, Dr. Bazil wired up a sleepy subway rider to study his brain waves as he tried to nap. He enlisted Dr. Brandon Foreman, a 30-year-old neurology fellow, whose 2-year-old son, Jude, still does not sleep through the night. Neither does Dr. Foreman.

But he has observed how the subway lulls his son to sleep, so he tries to replicate the train’s stops and jerks when he puts his son to bed. Dr. Foreman is no stranger to subway napping: He began doing so when commuting from Brooklyn during his residency, and said he coveted any sleep he could get.

“Lectures, classes, I can pretty much sleep anywhere,” Dr. Foreman said. “But it’s not usually a great sleep. It’s more the nodding off.”

Both doctors met at the end of a long workweek after Dr. Foreman had been up every night dealing with his son’s cold. As Dr. Foreman yawned, Dr. Bazil had a technician attach 25 multicolored plastic wires to Dr. Foreman’s head, connecting them to a monitor slightly larger than an iPod to track his brain waves. Then Dr. Foreman covered the wires with a long sock and a winter hat.

The pair got onto a southbound A train at 207th Street. After Dr. Foreman chose a corner seat, Dr. Bazil sat across from him to take notes. When the train left the station at 6:09 p.m., it seemed unlikely that Dr. Foreman would get any sleep. The train’s operator screeched the cars along as if she were training for Formula One. She shouted into the loudspeakers that her train was late, and peeled from stop to stop.

Dr. Foreman yawned, folded his arms, crossed his legs and shut his eyes. He opened his eyes when the train stopped. His eyes fluttered when several neurologists boarded and chatted over his shoulder. The train jostled. He opened his eyes and yawned deeply.

By 6:18 p.m., two minutes after Dr. Foreman left the 168th Street station, he looked as if he was falling asleep. He first held his head up and kept his arms crossed. But he let his head nod back and forth slightly. Then his head fell, and he dozed until 59th Street — no doubt aided by the uninterrupted run from 125th Street. As the doors opened at 59th Street, Dr. Foreman jumped up and hopped off the train.

After they briefly celebrated what looked like a successful subway nap, the doctors boarded an uptown train to see if Dr. Foreman could fall asleep again. Dr. Foreman found a seat lodged between two passengers. He put on his jacket hood, crossed his legs, folded his arms and let his head fall. While the conductor was quieter on this train, Dr. Foreman could not get back to sleep. At 145th Street, when a vendor stood before him and shouted that he was selling four DVDs for $10, Dr. Foreman opened his eyes widely.

“No luck,” he said.

Dr. Bazil was more pleased with the results. After downloading the data about Dr. Foreman’s brain waves, Dr. Bazil found that Dr. Foreman had slept for 10 minutes out of a 23.5-minute ride. For three and a half minutes, Dr. Foreman reached a Stage 2 level of sleep.

“It looks like it is definitely possible to get small amounts of restorative sleep on the subway, but only very small amounts,” Dr. Bazil said. He added that some studies show “even a brief nap that includes Stage 2 sleep can improve performance.”

But Dr. Foreman was less persuaded that he got any productive sleep.

“I don’t feel rested,” he said. “It’s not like I took a nap in bed.”

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #1537
trainrover

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #1538
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Wouldn't you agree that's one of the cleverest transit-related headlines ever? I like the play on words vis-a-vis Shakespeare's "Hamlet" soliloquy.

I remember many years ago falling asleep soon after boarding a semi-express inbound Metro North train in Stamford, CT while sitting right by the starboard window. I had a dream in which I was telling some mysterious woman that I would always love her. I woke up right out of the dream and found myself looking at the Greenwich platform out the window. It all took place within the span of seven minutes.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #1539
trainrover

Wholeheartedly! ... I love --almost crave!-- info, insight like that, the very type that folds my interest into a full-bodied, human context although I 'bomb' at Shakespeare, literature

It amazes me just how highly reinvigorating my own second-stage sleep (I think) can be

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1540
trainrover

clickable...

clickable...

clickable...

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags