daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1541
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Wholeheartedly! ... I love --almost crave!-- info, insight like that, the very type that folds my interest into a full-bodied, human context
Then you might, *might*, be interested in This Documentary

ChuckScraperMiami#1, mrsmartman liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #1542
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Thank you ... so far, watching the intro's interesting ...

Ouch ...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by trainrover; December 10th, 2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Ouch ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #1543
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

On a similar note, in middle school they made us read a book called "Slake's Limbo" about a boy who lives in a NY subway tunnel. His best friend was a rat.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1544
trainrover

The poor snitch

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #1545
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I hope so. Some of these trains - the C, 5, A to name a few are so bad. Its almost kinda embarassing, but with such a great city, you cant complain right? But I do hope they do change those before I die lol
Don't know what you're talking about for the 5, since they have cars that are only 10-11 years old at this point....

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #1546
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Concrete is far superior for elevated lines. If properly cared for, it doesn't get rusty, and doesn't have to be painted.

Also, it is much more stable in terms of shock and vibration absortion.

That is why I think they should devise a plan to gradually replace all elevated lines with concrete replacements.

That is why you don't see anyone (anywhere) building steel and iron elevated lines at this day and age.

Moreover, concrete allows for massive and decent stations to be built over tracks. You know, stations with complete enclosure of the platforms that never ever let snow or rain to bother passengers, because you can reinforce a couple slabs and build a lot of things over it. Stations instead of "enhanced stops" - with elevators and escalators, that is.
Good luck on the Flushing Line since it's a historic structure. However, concrete, and elevated lines in general, are just ugly.

geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1547
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66

Good luck on the Flushing Line since it's a historic structure. However, concrete, and elevated lines in general, are just ugly.
I agree with elevated lines in general being ugly. Theyre just not aesthetically pleasing and they cheapen the surrounding area. However, the rehabilitated elevated trains in the Rockaways are quite nice

Filipino working in NYC

Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1548
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer

Don't know what you're talking about for the 5, since they have cars that are only 10-11 years old at this point....
Well, the 5 that I was on was pretty bad. Maybe that car was just an anomaly but I do agree that most of the 5 line is nice. I dont understand though why we have different looking cars. Its not cohesive

Filipino working in NYC

Old December 15th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #1549
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

2 more frwsh videos from me.....

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #1550
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

NYCT press release
December 15, 2011

Quote:
FASTRACK Coming to the Lexington Avenue Line

MTA New York City Transit is set to introduce FASTRACK--- a new way of working on the rails. Beginning Monday, January 9, the 4, 5 and 6 lines will be shut down from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., suspending all Lexington Avenue Line service between Grand Central-42nd Street and Atlantic Avenue in both directions for four consecutive weeknights.

Signals, tracks, tunnels, structures and stations must all be kept is proper working condition, an incredibly difficult task in a system where trains run 24 hours a day, every day. Providing maintenance for over 2,600 switches, 12,000 train control signals, more than 700 miles of track and 468 stations is an enormous challenge. NYC Transit is taking a new approach to the performance of critical maintenance and upgrades. By shutting down a section of a subway line, we can work more efficiently at less cost and provide a much safer environment for our transit workers.

System-wide, NYC Transit's weeknight ridership is approximately 250,000. The closures will affect from 10% to 15% of those riders depending on the line segment. While providing a safer work environment for our employees who will no longer be sharing tracks with in-service trains, we also anticipate an annual productivity savings of $10 to $15 million. However, this is not a replacement for weekend work. Most weekend service diversions are due to capital work which consists of major station and line rehabilitation projects, such as the Culver Line reconstruction, the West End Line rehabs, and the rehabilitation of Dyckman Street and Smith-9th Sts. Weekend diversions will continue as before. In order to accomplish our maintenance tasks we have chosen four corridors that begin at Manhattan's Central Business District (CBD):

Lexington Avenue 456 from Grand Central-42nd Street to Atlantic Avenue
Sixth Avenue FDB from 59th Street-Columbus Circle to West 4th Street
Seventh Avenue 123 from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue
Eight Avenue ACE from 59th Street-Columbus Circle to Jay Street-MetroTech

These corridors will completely shut down on four consecutive nights from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., four times a year. Only subway line segments where there are substantial subway alternatives have been selected for the overnight shutdowns. So, in addition to nearby lines, there may be other lines running that don't usually operate during the late night hours in order to help accommodate customers. In order to avoid further inconvenience, we will avoid other service diversions in the area affected by the closure.

By providing a more productive work window, Transit employees will be safer by not working on "live" track and will avoid the interruptions of repeatedly having to "clear up" for trains going by. Workers will inspect track, repair or replace rails, and perform power and signal maintenance. During this time, we will also be able to repair platform edges, wall tiles and lighting in addition to power washing at some of the closed stations.

When a line segment is closed at night, customers can expect to add 20 minutes to their usual travel time. Alternative transportation options will be detailed in announcements and posters on trains, in stations and on selected buses; brochures will be available in both English and Spanish. Information will also be available on the web at www.mta.info and through social media, email and text alerts.

Our next FASTRACK overnight closure will be on the Seventh Avenue 123 line between 34th Street and Atlantic Avenue from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for four consecutive nights beginning Monday, February 13 and ending at 5 a.m. Friday, February 17.

###

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1551
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101740

Is it allowed to take pics and movies in ny subway?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #1552
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
NYCT press release
December 15, 2011
Once upon a time the city that never sleeps ...........

Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #1553
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_
Is it allowed to take pics and movies in ny subway?
I see a lot of tourists and residents alike taking pics in the subway.

Filipino working in NYC

Old December 18th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1554
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

What are the typical number of cars in each train (or carriages as they'd say in Britain)?

Is seems like most of the ones in the videos have 10.

Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1555
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

^ Ten would be the typical number, but it depends on the route. On the A Division, the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 trains are ten cars; the 7 train is composed of eleven cars. The B Division has two lengths: eight or ten. The A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q, and R trains have a length of 600 feet / ~183 meters, but the number of cars depends on the rolling stock. Most of the videos shown of the B Division are of R160s which are 60 ft / ~18.3 meters long, so those trains are ten cars long. There's still a good number of older, 75 ft long / ~23 meters cars, so some of those trains would be made up of eight cars. The J, L, M, and Z trains are limited by the length of their platforms to eight cars (and can only use 60 ft / ~18.3 meters cars). The sole non-shuttle train exception is the G train which, due to budgetary and ridership issues, only runs four-car trains (of the 75 ft long / ~23 meters variety).

Last edited by MarneGator; December 18th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1556
trainrover

Line 7 has 11 cars, right? And which line there might have 12?

Old December 20th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1557
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
No.

herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:10 AM   #1558
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM   #1559
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
None of them have 12 cars to my knowledge.

Lines J, L, M and Z run 8 car trains of shorter rolling stock (R160, R143, R42 and R32) only.

Lines A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q and R run either 10 car trains of shorter rolling stock (R160, R143, R42 and R32) or 8 car trains of longer rolling stock (R46 and R68).

Line G runs 4 car trains of longer rolling stock (R46 and R68). This is not due to station or track capacity issues, it is due to cost and ridership issues.

The IRT lines (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) run narrow bodied IRT stock (R62 and R142). They cannot run any other stock, as the tunnels are not wide enough.

The shuttles each run different stock. The Times Square - Grand Central shuttle uses 3 or 4 car R62s, the Franklin Avenue shuttle uses 2 car R68s and the Rockaway Park shuttle uses 4 or 8 car R46s.

Did I get all that right? As i'm not a New Yorker please correct me if any of that is wrong.

SydneyCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1560
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyCity View Post
None of them have 12 cars to my knowledge.

Lines J, L, M and Z run 8 car trains of shorter rolling stock (R160, R143, R42 and R32) only.

Lines A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q and R run either 10 car trains of shorter rolling stock (R160, R143, R42 and R32) or 8 car trains of longer rolling stock (R46 and R68).

Line G runs 4 car trains of longer rolling stock (R46 and R68). This is not due to station or track capacity issues, it is due to cost and ridership issues.

The IRT lines (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7) run narrow bodied IRT stock (R62 and R142). They cannot run any other stock, as the tunnels are not wide enough.

The shuttles each run different stock. The Times Square - Grand Central shuttle uses 3 or 4 car R62s, the Franklin Avenue shuttle uses 2 car R68s and the Rockaway Park shuttle uses 4 or 8 car R46s.

Did I get all that right? As i'm not a New Yorker please correct me if any of that is wrong.
Yes this is essentially correct. The only line which runs an odd train length is the 7, which runs with 11 cars. There are no twelve car trains anywhere in the system.

For all of you who aren't from the city, wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor..._rolling_stock

And while I'm here, here are the videos that I managed to shoot of the Christmas time holiday train last Saturday, the 17th. (The last two are time lapses) Enjoy =)

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway