daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #1621
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

NY1
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...n-subway-crime

Quote:
01/23/2012 10:47 PM
More Transit Police Officers Combat Increase In Subway Crime
By: Tina Redwine

In the last two weeks, the New York City Police Department has thrown hundreds more police officers into the fight against crime underground, in response to the year-long spike in subway crime. NY1's Transit reporter Tina Redwine filed the following report.

Crime in the subways jumped 16 percent last year, compared with 2010, and New York City Police Department Transit Chief Joseph Fox said one factor stands out.

"Those were fueled by targeted theft of electronics," said Fox at a Monday meeting of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board.

One subway rider, Gabriella Dos Santos, told NY1 she had her cellphone stolen while she was waiting for a train.

"I didn't expect it to happen because it was in my pocket," said Dos Santos.

Thieves are also snatching electronics from passengers on board trains just as the doors close.

Police are using a public service announcement to drive that point home and advise riders to hide their electronics in the subway and to make sure they have a tracking program installed on them.

Last year, there were 10 percent fewer officers in the subway system than in 2010. To combat the spike in crime, two weeks ago police added 243 new officers to patrol the subways.

"It is larger allotment then we've had in a number of years and we are going to put them to good use," said Fox.

Fox told the MTA board those officers have already made 243 collars, an average of one each every two weeks.

That is a much higher arrest rate than for the average policeman on transit patrol. Last year, 2,200 officers made about 3,700 arrests — an average of 1.7 arrests for each officer for the whole year.

NYPD officials said that is the result of a concentrated effort by new officers teamed with veteran supervisors.

Fox said he is flooding crime-prone stations with officers and has 51 trained as decoys, triple the number they had three years ago, and they are nabbing hardened offenders.

Riders said they are looking forward to seeing more officers.

"I've seen too many fights on the D train, especially going downtown, and there was no one to stop them," said one straphanger.

Fox said with these new officers and strategies, the bureau is now heading in the right direction.

mrsmartman liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1622
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
IMHO this is twisted idea. Wouldn't be more sensible just to build new line across East River , along 34th st?
There are considerations about extending line 7 to Jersey.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1623
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DNAInfo
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120124/down...rvice-downtown

Quote:
Person Loose on R Train Subway Tracks Stalls Service Downtown
January 24, 2012 9:46pm | By Patrick Hedlund, DNAinfo News Editor

MANHATTAN — A person loose on the R train tracks in lower Manhattan forced authorities to cut off power to a section of subway Tuesday night, officials said.

Emergency crews responded to a call of a person running on the tracks between the Rector Street and Whitehall Street stations on the R line shortly before 8:30 p.m., the FDNY said.

The MTA cut off power between the City Hall and Whitehall Street stations for 40 minutes in both directions, restoring service at 9:05 p.m., an MTA spokeswoman said.

Old January 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1624
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
There are considerations about extending line 7 to Jersey.
Yes, they are founding study on 7 subway extension to NJ. Also after cancelling Trans-Hudson Tunnel by governor of NJ Chris Christie there is a push and consultation to redesign and build that tunnel cheaper (Gateway Project).

rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1625
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

The 7 is unlikely to be extended to NJ due to alot of reasons....one is funding , another is rules that prevent the subway from leaving NYC and cannot be easily overturned , and another major dent in the 7 line extension is the regional and Federal pressure on the Gateway project , which might get it completed by 2020 or 2025....
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1626
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DNAinfo
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120128/wash...-tracks-inwood

Quote:
Man Critically Injured After Plunge From Elevated 1 Train Tracks in Inwood
January 28, 2012 3:14pm | By Patrick Hedlund, DNAinfo News Editor

MANHATTAN — A man was critically injured after plunging from the elevated 1 train tracks in Inwood early Saturday, authorities said.

The victim, in his 50s, suffered head trauma and multiple fractures to the arms and legs after plummeting from the elevated tracks along 10th Avenue at Isham Street about 3:41 a.m., the FDNY said.

He was taken Harlem Hospital after the plunge, which sources estimated to be the equivalent of three stories.

It was not clear if the man fell, jumped or was pushed, fire officials said.
DNAinfo
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120127/down...-subway-tracks

Quote:
Passengers Rescue Man Who Fell on Fulton Street Subway Tracks
January 27, 2012 11:26am | By Wil Cruz, DNAinfo News Editor

DOWNTOWN — A man collapsed and fell on the subway tracks at Fulton Street station late Thursday, officials said.

He was dragged off the tracks by two fellow passengers.

The man, who has not been identified, somehow fell on the northbound No. 4 tracks about 11:30 p.m., transit and fire officials said.

The conductor of an incoming train reported seeing a man on the tracks and brought the train to a halt, said a transit spokeswoman. The train did not hit the victim, she said.

The spokeswoman said two people jumped onto the tracks and pulled the man to safety.

The victim was bleeding from the head, but was not seriously hurt, officials said. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries.

It was unclear why the man fell onto the tracks.

Last edited by Woonsocket54; January 28th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1627
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old January 30th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1628
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New York Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/p...ecSkAMTWoE6wmJ

Quote:
Pol push to ban eating in the subway
By DANIEL PRENDERGAST and GARY BUISO

Last Updated: 5:09 AM, January 29, 2012
Posted: 12:23 AM, January 29, 2012

You dirty rats!

A local lawmaker is pushing a bill to ban eating in the subway to help cut down on vermin — but the measure is already causing some straphangers to lose their lunch.

“I eat most of my meals on the train!” said Nisse Greenberg, 25, between bites of a falafel sandwich yesterday on the N line.

“I’m always running back and forth to somewhere, so I’m against banning eating on the train.”

The bill, proposed by Sen. Bill Perkins (D-Manhattan), would slap a $250 fine on subterranean scofflaws who dare to eat on any train, platform, or shop throughout the city’s transit system.

“I’ve seen people open up plates of french fries and chicken and have a grand old meal — and then discard their stuff on the track,” Perkins told The Post. “The question becomes, ‘How can we minimize the feasts that rats are experiencing?’ By trying to control human behaviors.”

Cash from fines would feed a litter-prevention fund.

“It would kind of suck,” added Meredith Naughton, 22, snacking on pineapple on the Q train. “New Yorkers are always trying to make the most of their time, and it kind of helps to eat on the go.”

But backers of the bill said subway snackers need better manners.

“I’m generally supportive of people eating at tables or sitting down,” said Sen. Suzi Oppenheimer (D-Westchester). “I don’t enjoy seeing people eating on the run — it doesn’t add anything to our civilized society.”

Rider advocates said the food-ban plan is giving them indigestion.

“Subway riders need a snack now and then to get them through long commutes,” said Paul Steely White, executive director of Transportation Alternatives.

“Instead of socking hungry subway riders with new $250 fines, state lawmakers should work with the governor and the MTA to restore last year’s service cuts.”

Perkins said he cooked up the bill after serving up 15,000 surveys in his uptown district and finding that the biggest contributors to big-bellied rats are sloppy straphangers whose litter feeds their “rampaging” population.

“We have to look at the source of the rats’ success — which is our eating habits,” he said.

Perkins’ bill is also supported by Sens. Adriano Espaillat (D-Manhattan/Bronx) and Shirley Huntley (D-Queens). The bill will likely find companion legislation in the Assembly, Perkins said.

Last March, two members of the MTA board suggested a food ban after a video on YouTube showed a woman tossing her grub at another rider.

Then-MTA Chairman Jay Walder squashed the idea, calling it impractical and difficult to enforce.

Open beverage containers are banned throughout the transit system, according to MTA spokeswoman Judie Glave, who said eating food is not technically forbidden but is discouraged.

She said the agency is studying the bill.

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1629
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I'm sorry but the last article made me lol. "I eat most of meals on the train."

sweet-d está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #1630
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

^ I've seen ramen bar restaurants on concourses in Tokyo where patrons can finish a noodle in 2 minutes and the food is pretty much ready seconds after ordering. These outlets can serve as a speedy alternative to eating inside trains.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1631
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Last summer, I informed a passenger that a cockroach was investigating around his bag that he'd placed upon the metro floor right between his feet. He picked his bag off the floor but the roach was gone, thus I followed through by remarking to him that I guess it must be gone. The poor fella was fussing over his bag for the next two stops, rummaging around inside it looking for it, unzipping this pocket and that (I had to change trains)

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:40 AM   #1632
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

For the first time ever, the MTA has released a map that only shows overnight service.

The press release is here: http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=576
The map is here: http://mta.info/maps/night_map_Jan12.pdf

The map is really interesting. It illustrates the total lack of express service on the east side of Manhattan while 2 trains (D and 3) run express on the west side. The 5 train runs only in the Bronx, and the M train runs as a shuttle from Myrtle Ave station to Metro Ave. Every station gets some type of service overnight except Broad Street J station at the New York Stock Exchange.

Old January 31st, 2012, 05:59 AM   #1633
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The 7 is unlikely to be extended to NJ due to alot of reasons....one is funding , another is rules that prevent the subway from leaving NYC and cannot be easily overturned , and another major dent in the 7 line extension is the regional and Federal pressure on the Gateway project , which might get it completed by 2020 or 2025....
NYC runs a great system, one of the world's most impressive, but I've always felt that those rules in bold really kept it from being unquestionably the best.

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1634
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
NYC runs a great system, one of the world's most impressive, but I've always felt that those rules in bold really kept it from being unquestionably the best.
Well there are plenty of areas within NYC that the subway needs to be expanded to before most New Yorkers would be comfortable with a NJ extension.

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1635
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Well there are plenty of areas within NYC that the subway needs to be expanded to before most New Yorkers would be comfortable with a NJ extension.
It's strange that New York (and New Jersey) are still so provincial.

ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1636
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
It's strange that New York (and New Jersey) are still so provincial.
We have connecting systems , and we also don't like each other....
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1637
flapane

Likes (Received): 2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It seems to be very common for NY subway vehicles to have the national flag on them (as is the case on other US systems to a lesser extent) yet this seems rare outside the US. Is there some specific reason this happens (such as a national regulation) or is it just a tradition?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I can remember those flags were put on the subway cars after 9/11.
By the way you can see them on other subway systems, too (ie. the "L").

flapane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1638
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

That's the same timing I myself noticed

The existence of nightime express service is surprising

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1639
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DNAinfo.com
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120201/east...subway-station

Quote:
Man Killed by C Train at Liberty Avenue Subway Station
February 1, 2012 3:08pm
By Jon Schuppe, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

BROOKLYN — A man was killed when he was struck by a train Wednesday at an East New York subway station, the fire department said.

The accident, involving a southound C train, happened at 2:15 p.m. at the Liberty Avenue station, an FDNY spokesman said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Downtown C train service was running express from Broadway Junction to Euclid Avenue.
DNAinfo.com
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120202/uppe...pper-west-side

Quote:

Man Struck by No. 1 Train on Upper West Side
February 2, 2012 9:58am
By Wil Cruz, DNAinfo News Editor

UPPER WEST SIDE — A man was injured early Thursday after being struck by a No. 1 subway train, transit and fire officials said.

The victim, who was not identified, was hit by the train at the Cathedral Parkway station, at W. 110th Street and Broadway, about 2:10 a.m., transit officials said. A spokesman said the man walked into the side of the southbound train.

Fire officials said the man was taken to St. Luke's Hospital with injuries, but his condition was unknown.

There were no significant transit delays, officials said.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1640
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
But that's ignoring the fact that it is not just the NYC subway that makes up the NYC urban transit system. The subway is just one part of the greater network, much like how Toei metro and Tokyo subway along with the network of independent suburban lines make up Tokyo's urban rail system. There is no need to extend the 7. Instead extend the PATH. Did we forget about the PATH?

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway