daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1741
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

According to Taxicab Confessions, not the most reliable source I admit, people jumping in front of trains often spin around and end up between train and platform, often feeling nothing. The station is then closed and the person's family - if any - is called in to say their goodbyes, and then the train is moved. You can guess the rest.

In my 22 years of taking the train (1958 through 1980), there were two instances where someone tried to push me in front of a train. Once on the #1 and once at Grand Central on the #7 train. I got better at being paranoid after that.

mrsmartman liked this post
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #1742
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Construction crane collapses in Manhattan

A construction crane has collapsed on the West Side of Manhattan, according to preliminary emergency reports.

At least five people have been hurt inside the West 34th Street construction site for the No. 7 line subway line extension, officials said.

The FDNY said an 80-foot section and a 40-foot section from an upright crane became dislodged, the AP reported.

One worker was critically hurt, another seriously, officials said. Two other people had minor injuries. The condition of the fifth person wasn't immediately clear, the AP reported.

"On behalf of the entire MTA, we pray for the recovery of the workers injured as a result of this tragic accident tonight," the MTA said in a statement. "We will work together with all proper authorities to conduct a thorough investigation on the circumstances behind this unfortunate incident."

Police have closed West 34th Street at 11th Avenue and 11th Avenue between 34th Street and 35th Street, according to the Notify NYC system.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/cons...#ixzz1r2ThrlkR

webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1743
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
According to Taxicab Confessions, not the most reliable source I admit, people jumping in front of trains often spin around and end up between train and platform, often feeling nothing. The station is then closed and the person's family - if any - is called in to say their goodbyes, and then the train is moved. You can guess the rest.
WTF
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #1744
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

First time I'm learning of trains not being released prior to adieux ... if true, incredible this happen in, of all places, NYC.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1745
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

it's a hoax
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1746
Damarr

Likes (Received): 0

It's a plot from an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street.
Damarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1747
trainrover

Well, I tried writing in the subjunctive tense, although not certain if my comment represent a correct instance to be using it
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1748
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarr View Post
It's a plot from an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street.
in that case, moderators please move these comments to the Baltimore subway forum.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1749
trainrover

or possibly better yet, to the monorail thread
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1750
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DNAinfo
http://www.dnainfo.com/20120405/suns...in-sunset-park

Quote:
Person Struck by Train in Sunset Park
April 5, 2012 1:45pm | By Wil Cruz, DNAinfo News Editor

BROOKLYN — A person was struck and injured by a train in Sunset Park Thursday, officials said.

The victim, who was not identified, was hit in the leg by a northbound R train at the 53rd St. station about 10:45 a.m., an FDNY spokesman said.

The person, who suffered a "severe laceration to the leg," was taken to Lutheran Hospital, the spokesman said. His condition was not immediately known, though a source added that the victim was alive when he was moved.

Kevin Ortiz, a spokesman for the MTA, said R train service had suspended in both directions between 95th and 36th streets for about an hour. Full service was restored about noon, he added.

A person was struck and injured by a train in Sunset Park on April 5, 2012. (DNAinfo/Theodore Parisienne)

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #1751
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
or possibly better yet, to the monorail thread
Just have it dumped into a skybar. Doesn't make any transit sense to me at all.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #1752
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #1753
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

fun video of ghetto youth on the tracks. Unfortunately, everyone survived.

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1754
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

This thread has become ridiculous, and your comments are borderline racist.

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1755
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Here's another fun one from earlier this month.

Notice the potato chip guy stopped the fight.

Also in the background you can see the realigned uptown Bleecker platform, which will have a connection to Broadway-Lafayette come end of June.

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #1756
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/ny...rnet-fame.html

Quote:

Richard Perry/The New York Times
When a man and a woman fought on a No. 6 train he had just boarded, Charles Sonder formed a demilitarized zone. Soon he was a YouTube star.

April 12, 2012
When Fists and Kicks Fly on the Subway, It’s Snackman to the Rescue
By JIM DWYER

The most enduring and useful custom of New York subway riders is that they don masks of stone at the turnstile, and keep them on until they’ve gotten where they are going. The origins of this sound practice are beyond the memory of any living New Yorker, but even if it began with Peter Minuit, its value continues to be proved every day.

And so.

On a Thursday night at the end of March, three people boarded the same car of an uptown No. 6 train at Spring Street. Eitan Noy, 25, a D.J. at heart and construction worker by day, had just come from an art gallery on Mulberry Street in NoLIta and was making his way home toward Sunnyside, Queens.

Charles Sonder, 24, an architect, had left a bar on the Lower East Side and was going to meet friends. A few convivial hours in the first place had given him an appetite. For sustenance on his train ride, he grabbed a stack of cheddar Pringles and a bag of Gummi-Bears. He wasn’t proud but made no apologies for his diet. “We’ve all been there,” he would later note.

Sitting next to Mr. Noy was a woman, age unknown, but a safe guess would be in early 20s. A fourth party would make a late entrance. “This dude, at the last moment before the doors closed, stepped in,” Mr. Noy said.

The woman was not happy to see him. “Instantaneously, she jumps up and starts wailing on him,” Mr. Noy said. “Punching him in the face, kicking, cursing. Soon as she saw the dude, she started fighting him. Then he kicks back.”

Somehow, Mr. Sonder, who was a Rhode Island state wrestling champion at 189 pounds in high school and does architecture at 200, had never been present for such a scuffle in the subways, but then again, he moved to New York only two years ago. In his sports life, though, he had “seen things get out of hand.”

The ride from Spring Street to the next stop, Bleecker Street, is one of the shortest in the city, with the train barely getting started before it stops.

As it pulled in, Mr. Sonder stepped toward the door, and the battle ebbed for an instant as the man and the woman parted, possibly to let him pass. But he stopped, directly between them. He didn’t say a word, just kept working his way through the Pringles. With Mr. Sonder forming an implacable barrier, the fight dwindled to generally unprintable sputterings, with the woman ordering the man: “Don’t follow me. Do not follow me.”

Mr. Noy, having been born and raised in the city, had seen plenty of subway outbursts before, including one on St. Patrick’s Day, when two men set upon a third, pulling open his bag and using some force. Just as Mr. Noy and his friend were discussing intervention, the two men displayed badges and were cuffing the third. “After that, I knew I had to have my phone camera ready,” he said. So on the No. 6 train, he whipped out his camera a few blows into the round, in time to catch some of the action; Mr. Sonder stepping in; and then another woman, with an authoritative voice, ordering the woman to sit down and the man to get off the train.

After that, the remaining combatant noticed Mr. Noy’s cellphone camera and asked if she could see it. “I didn’t know what she was going to do with it,” Mr. Noy said. “She could smash me on the head. I told her, ‘I didn’t really get anything.’ ” She persisted, he deflected, and then he got off at Grand Central Station. Mr. Sonder disappeared into the night and pretty much forgot the whole thing. He went back to his work of building three-dimensional models at an architectural firm.

About 10 days ago, Mr. Noy decided to post the video on his YouTube account, which he operates under his D.J. name, Eitan Noyze. For the first week, he said, it got about 400 hits. Then it started moving up on the Reddit Web site. As of Thursday evening, it was close to 900,000 hits. The Internet had given Mr. Sonder a new name, which he learned about when his mother texted him earlier this week: “Hey Snackman.”

He was cool incarnate. No weapons. No visible bloodshed. Not even a loud word. A newcomer to the city, munching on chips, and a poker face for the ages.

E-mail: [email protected]

Twitter: @jimdwyernyt

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1757
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New York Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1061495

Quote:
Snackman a tasty catch for the ladies
Gals want to marry him, and he's open to dating if you email or text

By Rich Schapiro / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Friday, April 13, 2012, 7:15 PM
Updated: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 11:45 AM

Craig Warga/New York Daily News
Charles Sonder poses in the Grand Street Subway Station. The Brooklynite recently broke up a fight on the subway and has become a viral sensation.

New York ladies are hungry for Snackman.

Charles Sonder, the Internet sensation who broke up a subway scuffle while chomping on cheddar Pringles, has been inundated with marriage proposals.

And there’s good news, ladies — Sonder is open to dating some of the suitors who have sent him love notes by text and email.

Just don’t ask him to settle down.

“I might entertain the idea of a date depending on who’s asking, but I don’t plan on getting married anytime soon,” said Sonder, a 24-year-old architect from Brooklyn.

All the attention has left the hungry hero craving more.

“I think it’s great how excited everyone is getting about it,” added Sonder, who is single. “The more interest the better.”

Sonder, dubbed Snackman, became the city’s most eligible bachelor after a YouTube clip of his crime-fighting exploits went viral.

Sonder coolly quashed a beef between two brawling straphangers a few weeks ago by stepping between them while casually shoveling chips into his mouth.

The cell phone video that captured Sonder in action has garnered more than 1.1 million hits — and dozens of fawning comments from Sonder’s admirers.

“Snackman have my babies,” wrote one commenter.

“He is sooooo fine omg i wanna sex him up lol,” wrote another.

Hot-blooded ladies also took to Twitter to express their love for the suave subway hero.

“LADIES: It sounds like Snackman is single,” wrote Silvia Killingsworth.

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1758
Luca111-_
Europamente Europeo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
fun video of ghetto youth on the tracks. Unfortunately, everyone survived.

Winston Churchill
Luca111-_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1759
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #1760
trainrover