daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1781
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Short height to the trains, no?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1782
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Short height to the trains, no?
no
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1783
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Astonishing, platforms back in vogue, once again ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1784
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Transportation Nation
http://transportationnation.org/2012...in-nyc-subway/

Quote:
Report: Signal Problems Cause Most Delays in NYC Subway
By Jim O'Grady | 05/09/2012 – 10:06 am

(New York, NY – WNYC) More than a third of all long subway delays are caused signal problems, according to an analysis of 3,000 text alerts sent by the NY MTA last year by the Straphangers Campaign.

The report tallied “significant incidents that often generated subway delays” of 8 minutes or more and found signal problems caused 36 percent of such delays, followed by mechanical problems at 31 percent. Rail and track problems caused a combined 19 percent of long delays.

Straphangers spokesman Gene Russianoff said he’s not surprised, given what he saw of the signals at one location. “The MTA took us on a tour of the West 4th Street Station, where 7 lines and hundreds of thousands of riders go through every day and we went to the dispatcher’s office where the signals are kept and they were built in 1932 and looked like the controls on the deck of His Royal Majesty’s ship, the Titanic,” he said.

The report only looked at delays in the control of the MTA and not incidents such as police actions and sick passengers. The lines with the most delays were the 2 and 5 trains, which each had 8 percent of total delays. The line with the fewest delays was the G, which connects Brooklyn and Queens and is the only line that does not go into Manhattan.

Manhattan had the most delays at 43 percent. The Bronx had the fewest with 11 percent.

The MTA said it is upgrading signals, tracks and subway cars as part of its capital construction program. The authority launched its free text alert system in November 2008; it has more than 76,000 subscribers.

The Straphangers Campaign is a public interest research group that advocates for improvements in mass transit.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #1785
marila809

Likes (Received): 0

Hi!

COOL~~~ I need those.THANKS~~~ If you have more please share with us.
web design Sydney
website design sydney
marila809 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1786
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1787
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Straphangers spokesman Gene Russianoff said he’s not surprised, given what he saw of the signals at one location. “The MTA took us on a tour of the West 4th Street Station, where 7 lines and hundreds of thousands of riders go through every day and we went to the dispatcher’s office where the signals are kept and they were built in 1932 and looked like the controls on the deck of His Royal Majesty’s ship, the Titanic,” he said.
They would have looked old in 1932 considering that the Titanic was built in 1912. By the way, RMS stands for Royal Mail Steamship.

Not that I'm pedantic or anything.

Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1788
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

The Renovated Far Rockaway-Mott Av terminal..

image hosted on flickr

MottAveStationA0512 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MottAveStationB0512 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MottAveStationC0512 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rohlf_RW_115T by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rohlf_RW_365T by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rohlf_RW_637T by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rohlf_RW_845T by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #1789
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

They think they're done but they're not. They still need to open up that sidewalk. They better not forget about that sidewalk that's still closed.
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1790
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New York Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1078041

Quote:
Man found dead in subway tunnel near 14th St. station, disrupting service on the M line
Man not struck by train; believed to be homeless
By Barry Paddock / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, May 14, 2012, 3:52 PM

Michael Schwartz for New York Daily News
Emergency Service Unit officers carry a man's body from the station at W. 14th St. and Sixth Ave.

A man was found dead in a Manhattan subway tunnel Monday morning, disrupting service on the M line, officials said.

The dead man was found on the roadbed north of the 6th Ave/14th St. station about 10:25 a.m., according to an MTA official.

He was not struck by a train.

M train service was suspended between the Forest Hills - 71st Ave. and Essex St. stations as police investigated.

[email protected]
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1791
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

people
wich were elevated ways converted to underground?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1792
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
people
wich were elevated ways converted to underground?
From off the top of my head, the 9th avenue and 6th avenue IRT elevated lines were turned into the 1, 2, 3, and B, D, F, and M lines in manhattan. The 3rd ave el became the lexington line (4, 5, 6). The other elevated lines were just torn down and never replaced. However, as you should know, they are TRYING to build the 2nd avenue subway now, which would replace the 2nd ave el.

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1793
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

I really love the grittiness and practicality of the New York subway...I can never understand why they do not refurbish stations that are in dire need - on the 1 train down the upper west side there are so many stations that are literally falling apart, if they spent about $30 million on each station they would be great and clean!

I know 30 million is alot, but it is one of the busiest subways in the world, and they shoud at least refurbish the 'touristy' stations just to make the system look good...If they can keep the tube trains in London incredibly clean, and the stations look like they are all brand new, I'm sure they could do the same here in New York? Right??

I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1794
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
I really love the grittiness and practicality of the New York subway...I can never understand why they do not refurbish stations that are in dire need - on the 1 train down the upper west side there are so many stations that are literally falling apart, if they spent about $30 million on each station they would be great and clean!

I know 30 million is alot, but it is one of the busiest subways in the world, and they shoud at least refurbish the 'touristy' stations just to make the system look good...If they can keep the tube trains in London incredibly clean, and the stations look like they are all brand new, I'm sure they could do the same here in New York? Right??
They DEFINITELY need to renovate Chambers St - BMT. That station by far has got to be one of the worst in the system because it just continues to rot.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1795
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post

This pops up every few pages.

First off the London Metro receives far more money from its respected federal government than the MTA. And there are calls from Republicans to end what little Federal money the MTA does get.

Then, we get these awful unfunded mandates from the Feds, and the most recent one requires the MTA to spend $750M in a completely unnecessary safety upgrade. In this case, the Feds basically said, because there was a train accident in California a few years ago, you now have to upgrade your safety systems to meet new federal requirements even though you just spent $1B on actually relevant safety systems. And by the way, we're not going to pay for it.

And the system runs 24-7, and is actually used 24-7, so they can't shut down large sections of it just to clean it.

In general, it's hard to find money for infrastructure when you spend over $1 Trillion a year on the military. But I'd rather have a system that ran 24-7 and was a little dirty, than one that ran 18 hours a day 7 days a week.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #1796
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
This pops up every few pages.

First off the London Metro receives far more money from its respected federal government than the MTA. And there are calls from Republicans to end what little Federal money the MTA does get.

Then, we get these awful unfunded mandates from the Feds, and the most recent one requires the MTA to spend $750M in a completely unnecessary safety upgrade. In this case, the Feds basically said, because there was a train accident in California a few years ago, you now have to upgrade your safety systems to meet new federal requirements even though you just spent $1B on actually relevant safety systems. And by the way, we're not going to pay for it.

And the system runs 24-7, and is actually used 24-7, so they can't shut down large sections of it just to clean it.

In general, it's hard to find money for infrastructure when you spend over $1 Trillion a year on the military. But I'd rather have a system that ran 24-7 and was a little dirty, than one that ran 18 hours a day 7 days a week.
Amen to that. People seriously need to understand that although their ideas are great, it's too idealistic for something as complicated as this.

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1797
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

If they can at least one day clean up Chambers St - BMT. I'll be satisfied with the rest of the system.

Frankly, I don't mind the diginess of some of the stations, given the limited funding. But Chambers St - BMT is just plain out horrific.

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1798
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

If they can at least one day clean up Chambers St - BMT. I'll be satisfied with the rest of the system.

Frankly, I don't mind the diginess of some of the stations, given the limited funding. But Chambers St - BMT is just plain out horrific.
This prompts an interesting question. Which is worse - Chambers BMT or Bowery BMT?

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1799
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1800
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I have a question... I know MTA is one of the most bloated, inefficient of all transit agencies in US and filled with union fat cats. Thus, short on money as well (combined with their populist fare policy).

Still, why in hell can't t they give cheap makeover to subways stations. I'm not talking of full refurbishments, but things that are relatively cheap such as:

- better lighting with LED lights + LCD information panels on tracks
- frequent repainting
- removing tiles (which are prone to dust/dirt accumulation in the joints) and putting a small bare concrete cover which is much easier to clean
- false roof to collect all sorts of water infiltration in the stations

================================

A second question: when is MTA expected to have all subway stations fit for disabled access? Of all my criticisms of old subway systems, the fact they can get away with shunning out most disable people is among the most serious.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway