daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1861
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I suggest hyperlinking to the (astonishing ) rule to your post above
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1862
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Vartal: Firstly, I am sorry but you do have to speak English on the international sections of the forum - this is the rule. That doesn't mean you should be attacked for your posts though.

Just because someone doesn't speak English and offers their opinion it doesn't mean they are trolling. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you can disprove it with fact, that's all well. Regular posters in this thread cannot expect occasional writers to read the whole thread so if comments are made multiple times then this is just how it is. Remain civil please.
Nope. There is no official language in world section. English is preferred, but not necessary. If anyone doesn't know English he is free to post in his own language, so anyone who knows that language will translate it or anyone who wants to read it will translate it on its own using online translators (and this way, not using just one translator to post, because it will be unreadable).

He was asking why is it so dirt in NYC Subway. But in my opinion his post was with little bit of trolling intention. He always like that in Russian section.

mrsmartman liked this post
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1863
vartal
Registered...

Likes (Received): 4545

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
But in my opinion his post was with little bit of trolling intention. He always like that in Russian section.
How did you get that, I like it and that I breed trolling?
vartal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #1864
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Really? STOP POSTING THIS SHIT , SERIOUSLY ...ENOUGH OF THE SUICIDES AND IDIOTS FALLING ON THE TRACKS....YES I'M TYPING IN CAPS , I'M FED UP WITH THESE POSTS....
Agreed. This thread is a joke.

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1865
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8809

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Nope. There is no official language in world section. English is preferred, but not necessary. If anyone doesn't know English he is free to post in his own language, so anyone who knows that language will translate it or anyone who wants to read it will translate it on its own using online translators (and this way, not using just one translator to post, because it will be unreadable).

He was asking why is it so dirt in NYC Subway. But in my opinion his post was with little bit of trolling intention. He always like that in Russian section.
Actually, it was decided as of June this year to make all international forums English speaking only and so it will be enforced here. Please take it up with admins if you disagree.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1866
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

Replyed in mod section
Old July 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1867
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
This is near Coney Island/Stillwell Ave station

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/7535427020/
Are the three 'wood guards' there to protect other workers from any flying sparks from welding?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #1868
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Are the three 'wood guards' there to protect other workers from any flying sparks from welding?
I assume it is for other people getting blinded by the welding arc.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1869
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
And the system runs 24-7, and is actually used 24-7, so they can't shut down large sections of it just to clean it.

In general, it's hard to find money for infrastructure when you spend over $1 Trillion a year on the military. But I'd rather have a system that ran 24-7 and was a little dirty, than one that ran 18 hours a day 7 days a week.
Many riders have commented on the filthiness of the NYC subway compared to other systems around the world, including the older London Tube. The rationale for dirty subways is that it's old, under-funded, and runs 24/7, leaving no time for cleaning. But what about the cleaners not doing their jobs?
Quote:
However, our undercover cameras found another problem: from the #4 Line in the Bronx, to the N Line in Queens, to the L in Brooklyn, we found subway cleaners more interested in reading the newspaper, chatting with fellow workers or texting on the phone than doing their jobs. Jobs for which are paid $23 an hour.

At the end of the D-line in the Bronx, cars come all the way from Coney Island and are in need of serious cleaning. There is trash and spilled soda, shoe-sticking filth, yet Eyewitness News observed a team of four cleaners one afternoon and found most of them doing very little. A lot of them stand around talking to each other or to the engineer, while one worker cleans a car or two on each train. It meant the majority of train cars on the D-Line would head back out, having to never been cleaned.
ABC News
I know NYC is expensive, but holy cow, $23/hour for a cleaning job? Plus benefits I imagine. It's not like the cleaners are living in Manhattan, they probably live in cheaper New Jersey and commute to work.

Maybe the reason the NYC subway is so dirty is because the workers are slacking. Where is the management to bust some heads? In this economy I'm sure there are tons of hard-working people who would love to have their job. I bet some hard-working immigrants would do a better job for half the wage if only to get the opportunity to raise their children in America.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1870
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
Many riders have commented on the filthiness of the NYC subway compared to other systems around the world, including the older London Tube. The rationale for dirty subways is that it's old, under-funded, and runs 24/7, leaving no time for cleaning. But what about the cleaners not doing their jobs?

ABC News
I know NYC is expensive, but holy cow, $23/hour for a cleaning job? Plus benefits I imagine. It's not like the cleaners are living in Manhattan, they probably live in cheaper New Jersey and commute to work.

Maybe the reason the NYC subway is so dirty is because the workers are slacking. Where is the management to bust some heads? In this economy I'm sure there are tons of hard-working people who would love to have their job. I bet some hard-working immigrants would do a better job for half the wage if only to get the opportunity to raise their children in America.
It's called cowardly workers being protected by their union, the TWU. Management can't do too much without getting scorned by the union and getting accused of being discriminatory or mistreating them. Then the unions get on the news, which then turns into a media firestorm, typically won by the union. During contract negotiations, management such as the MTA cannot add procedures such as greater accountability, increased contributions to healthcare, or the easier ability to fire workers because then this is "unfair" to workers and places them under too much stress.

Just look at the Con Ed strike, excuse me, "lockout." Union said that the city would not last without their members through the first, then second, heat wave. Three heat waves and 4 weeks later and no major problems.
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1871
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

US$ 23/hour + benefits for cleaning a train station sounds just wrong for public employees of subsidized public agency...

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1872
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

MTA Completes Digging 13 Miles of New Tunnels for Megaprojects

Quote:
LONG ISLAND CITY — The last of seven huge 200-ton tunnel boring machines completed work this week for 13 miles of new tunnels now under New York City for three MTA megaprojects: East Side Access, Second Avenue Subway and the 7 train extension.

The machine, named Molina by students from I.S. 204 in Long Island City, completed digging the last of four East Side Access tunnels in Queens on Monday, MTA officials said.

Molina came to a halt six feet underneath the LIRR Main Line in Long Island City marking "the end of tunnel boring for the East Side Access project, and in fact, all MTA megaprojects," transit agency officials said in a statement.

The machines started digging in 2007 for the three projects, which aim to make commuting faster and easier.

The East Side Access project, which will connect the LIRR's Main and Port Washington lines in Queens to a new LIRR terminal beneath Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, is scheduled to be completed by August 2019.

The 7 train extension is due in December 2013 and the Second Avenue Subway project in December 2015.

[...]
Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...#ixzz2250dGhtW

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:20 AM   #1873
miketpa

Likes (Received): 7

As someone who lived in NY until the mid 90's and now goes back every once in a while, the subway system now is light years ahead of where it was 10-15 years ago. There is certainly plenty that can be fixed/improved upon as far as stations go, but last month none of the stations I saw had much litter and the trains themselves were clean. However, if the MTA and the Port Authority try to get people to use the E train and the AirTrain, they really need to do something about the Sutphin Ave station. If someone visiting NY had any hesitation about the subway system (and there did seem to be quite a few European tourists doing this, not just NYers) its a deplorable welcome to the system.

miketpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1874
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketpa View Post
if the MTA and the Port Authority try to get people to use the E train and the AirTrain
I think the current focus is on AirTrain + LIRR to Penn. Sutphin Station is not directly connected to AirTrain; it requires a bit of a walk outside.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:18 AM   #1875
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1876
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5757

East 180th Street station in the Bronx, one of the hidden gems of the New York subway

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?136285

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1877
flapane

Likes (Received): 2149

A couple of thoughts/questions on Franklin Ave Shuttle:

- there's a lot of litter on the embankments around (and between) the elevated stations. I wonder if suspended hardware cloths over the embankments would do the trick (they would be way easier to clean than embankments themselves).

- is the second train used during rush hours only? I've always seen it stationed at Prospect Park near the Coney Is. bound rail (while the Shuttle rail is on the other side of the platform). The frequency seems to be better during daylight, but that might be just an impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I think the current focus is on AirTrain + LIRR to Penn. Sutphin Station is not directly connected to AirTrain; it requires a bit of a walk outside.
I agree, but... (see next answer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketpa View Post
However, if the MTA and the Port Authority try to get people to use the E train and the AirTrain, they really need to do something about the Sutphin Ave station. If someone visiting NY had any hesitation about the subway system (and there did seem to be quite a few European tourists doing this, not just NYers) its a deplorable welcome to the system.
As someone who returns regularly (not only on vacation like in the last weeks) I usually tend to take the A train unless while landing on late nights (when it also stops on C train stations too), but I get what you mean. It's a bad welcoming for first time visitors.
I'm not sure if first visitors tend to take LIRR, but it would be really interesting to see some data about it.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1878
trainrover

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #1879
trainrover

Once upon a time ...