daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1961
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

You don't need to know latin alphabet to use Internet or mobile phone. We don't even call them cellphone.

It's might be hard to believe, but English here is entirely obsolete. Everything is in Russian, including Internet and mobile phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Agreed. But there are far lesser people who can read Russian! What's the point in posting your message in a language which no one else can understand. I hope you are getting the point I am putting across.
That's why we have local sections - for local languages. And world section - where a one from one countries could see and ask something about another country without getting into local particularity. Sure English is preferred, but those who don't know it can ask and speak in local. Those who can't understand him and not willing to simply ignoring him. Those who can understand and willing to help replying him or helping with translation. Those who can't understand, but willing to understand using
http://translate.google.com/
http://translate.bing.com/
http://translate.yandex.com/

Speaking of vartal, feel free to punish him for provocative messages.
But don't point forumers to use language the don't know outside local sections.

Last edited by coth; October 30th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1962
marciomaco
Peido Ninja!!!

Likes (Received): 150

Don't you see he's russian? He's defending his language... He shouldn't be moderator, acting like that. A moderator needs to know that, in international threads, English is the only language to everyone understands what is said, not Russian, Italian and another thousand languages.

And the ones who don't know english, why don't use they the translator?
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1963
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

It's a safe bet that, of all the languages, English forces the fewest members interrupting their browsing here at migrating off-page, to be fussing with some questionable translator. The purpose of the rule must be for the most enhanced surfing experience possible around these World threads.

Without naming any SC moderator or administrator, coth, what's been their feedback to your insight, input, coz otherwise the logic to your outlook strikes me as more disengaging?

BTW, in response to your moniker, are you a Moscow-gay pride event co-ordinator?

Last edited by trainrover; October 30th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1964
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Those who can understand and willing to help replying him or helping with translation. Those who can't understand, but willing to understand using
Come on coth. Doesn't it make sense for a non-english speaker to translate his message in English himself using
instead of forcing 100 other members to translate the non-English message individually?
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1965
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
You don't need to know latin alphabet to use Internet or mobile phone. We don't even call them cellphone.

It's might be hard to believe, but English here is entirely obsolete. Everything is in Russian, including Internet and mobile phones.
I'm talking Latin, not English.

Latin is the alphabet.
English is the language.

Except for a few sites that have a .рф URL, almost every site in Russian is .ru, so I am wondering if you could explain to me how a Russian person using the Internet can do so without using the Latin alphabet.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1966
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It's horrible, but at least they will finnaly have to remove the trash out of the stations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labours...Augean_stables
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1967
flapane

Likes (Received): 2143

Quote:
Yet again i'll note - English language thread located in NA Forum
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=395080

While this is a World Forum
Capisco.
Avrei voglia di fare alcune domande sulla recente alluvione ma, indovina cosa, nessuno mi risponderà, perchè nessuno capirà in che lingua sto scrivendo, e non solo, io sarò giudicato (giustamente) un maleducato.

mrsmartman liked this post
flapane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1968
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcollin View Post

Is that an underground station? Amazing that so much rubbish should be allowed to build up like that.

Back in 1987, there was a serious fire in an underground station in London that resulted in over 30 people losing their lives. The main cause of the fire turned out to be a build up of rubbish, fluff and grease underneath an escalator.

Ever since, no underground station in Britain has been built without proper smoke detection and extract systems, sufficient emergency exits, use of low-smoke materials in cladding, cable insulation, ceiling tiles etc. Rubbish has not been allowed to accumulate.

A few years before that, some seventy football fans were burned to death in an open spectator terrace, due to the build-up of rubbish underneath the timber stand over the years.

Obviously at this time, very few people are going to be thinking about fire but, if the stations have so much rubbish lying around there is a risk of a major disaster in the future.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1969
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Is that an underground station?
No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_...ox_Avenue_Line)

Flooding in South Ferry terminus of "1" train:

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1970
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

You can't even see the tracks. Can trains even get through? Or do they act like Garbage-plows?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1971
vartal
Registered...

Likes (Received): 4541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Since this is a world forum, it means that forumers from different nationalities will view this thread which means that the most common language of the world - English - should be used. Imagine if everyone starts writing in his/her native language!
I wonder why anyone thinks that all must know English? In fact, if anything, they say in Russian no less, if not more so, the number of people. Especially given the fact that this section of the global, not local, and even an American of New York. And because the Russian language - the same language of global communication, spoken freely billions of people on Earth, I am quite right in the world section of the forum to write in the language of global importance.

Last edited by vartal; October 31st, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
vartal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1972
trainrover

Maryin S' concept of fluid dynamics could be quite amusing
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1973
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartal View Post
I wonder why anyone thinks that all must know English? In fact, if anything, they say in Russian no less, if not more so, the number of people. Especially given the fact that this section of the global, not local, and even an American of New York. And because the Russian language - the same language of global communication, spoken freely billions of people on Earth, I am quite right in the world section of the forum to write in the language of global importance.
совсем непонятно. лучше напиши на русском а кому надо через гугл переведут
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1974
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Furthermore, 3tmk --and to any others here who might've advanced this nonsense about re- equipping 'ancient' subway segments being an impossibility-- the following series of relevant posts appear to proove effective prioritisation quite possible ... the referred-to segments of flood-protected subway tunnels hail from either the 1860s or 1870s, having been subjected to major modifications around WWII:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I am no expert, but shouldn´t the rail tracks make it impossible to shut down subway tunnels sectionwise? At least if you want to shut them down completely.
I too never imagined equipping running tunnels themselves with barriers possible until reading Tubeman's reply to my enquiry featured within the following quote of series of relevant posts ... subsequent to that gracious reply received late last year, I now suppose the short segment of running and power rails themselves be mechanised for displacement so as to accommodate full engagement, insertion of the protective, activated floodgate ... my question was about London's warren of pedestrian passageways ... floodgates have still mystified me for some time now, e.g., the presumably unlikely location of one in a metro station in downtown Montreal here ... ask Tubeman anything, his livelihood was motorman over there, plus his hyperactive thread has just experienced an unusual period of dormancy :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler View Post
OK, so flood barriers were installed to protect the system in case a WW2 bomb breached a section of tunnel which passes under the Thames - but is that all?
Tell me, what's the state of the Underground's floodgates, e.g., are their bearings oiled, are they tested periodically?
As far as I am aware, they are technically functional, at least they were on the District Line when I worked on it... But I'm not aware of them being tested. I guess testing is deemed too risky (e.g. the risk of them failing 'down' and buggering up the service).

Certainly on the District there were still signals associated with floodgates... Normally a driver can pass a signal remaining at danger without authority if they have had no contact or explanation for 2 minutes, provided it is an A-series automatic signal (basically any signal protecting plain line with no points). However, the last signal before a 'controlled' or semi-automatic area has an 'X' prefix and a driver cannot pass this without authority... and there are still a handful of working X signals associated with floodgates... obviously you don't want a train passing under a floodgate as it closes.
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1975
vartal
Registered...

Likes (Received): 4541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
совсем непонятно. лучше напиши на русском а кому надо через гугл переведут
Ну так тут же чуть ли не требуют, чтобы я на английском писал. Вот я и написал, пускай теперь сами разбираются, что им гуглоперевод перевёл. А то привыкли понимаешь, что весь мир должен под их американскую дудочку на цыпочках плясать...
vartal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:12 AM   #1976
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

NYCT_3309 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1977
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

image hosted on flickr

NYCT_3300 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

NYCT_3298 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

Old October 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1978
brick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcollin View Post

Quote:
Avenue U - N train (one stop north of 86 St station two posts above)

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/foru...on-avenue-u-n/
Quote:
Impressive!

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1979
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Is that an underground station? Amazing that so much rubbish should be allowed to build up like that.
The New York Subway is not precisely known for its cleanliness, however, I guess that most of that trash is garbage and debris bring from the outside by the current of water that flooded the station.

Woonsocket, I was just going to post those pictures of the South Ferry station but you come ahead
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1980
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartal View Post
i'm an american from new york and participating in discussion, if you can't speak my language or the majority of the people's language, you are not participating. so speak english and save the local language for the local sub-forum.

New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, new york city, subway