daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Foreign Stuff

Foreign Stuff Skylines, projects, developments happening abroad.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

John's Asia trip (part 7): HONG KONG, out of this world

These photos were taken by the banned London-based former Lithuanian forumer John. He originally posted them in SSP where he is known as Jonas. I was with him on this trip together with Blimey and, as John is banned here (unjustly in my view but that's another story....), then it falls to me to post them here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Going to Hong Kong feels like going to the future. Its lit up skyscrapers, high technologies perfectly adapted for the needs of the pubic and massive transport infrastructure makes this city feel so incredibly advanced and hi-tech. Life is bustling 24/7 and if there is a place that never sleeps it must be Hong kong (well, Kowloon at least)

The airport is locted in Lantau Island. From there we took a bus to Kowloon where we stayed (in Mong Kok to be more precise, a hostel which was on the 6th floor of a 17 storey building) and the very same night got to see a view which is to die for: skyline of the Hong Kong Island with all its wicked skyscrapers

Views from the bus on the way from airport

Tsing Ma bridge, one of the biggest bridges of this kind

We are in Kowloon now, neon lights are everywhere, the streets are busy and noisy

Probably the world's best skyline (i.e. small part of it ). This view can be seen from Tsim Sha Tsui which is part of Kowloon

After taking a ferry (which hardly costs anything) to the HK Island we are approaching these magnificient skyscrapers

Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition centre

Two International Finance Centre (or just 2IFC as it's usually called)

Bank of China, another beauty

Citibank Plaza and Asia Pacific Finance Tower which are attached to each other

Again the sleek and sexy 2IFC

AIG Tower, one of the new additions to the skyline (185m or 607ft)

In Hong Kong it's not always that easy to see that thing called sky...

Elevated pedestrian walks

Longham Place (this one is not in HK Island, it's in Kowloon), a 255m (836ft) beauty

Mong Kok, sometimes regarded as the most densely populated place on earth (doesn't seem far from truth)

Nathan Road, the main shopping street of Kowloon

Despite these building looking gritty from the outside they are not always so ugly inside. It seems no one cares to refurbish them because in 2-3 years time they will most probably be demolished anyway and something new will get built. Hong Kong is a constantly changing city where time runs faster than elswhere

Hong Kong's got a state of the art public transportation system which among other means includes the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) which opened just in 1979. The MTR is very convenient to use and trains run once in 60 seconds during the rush hours, everything is very clean and air conditioned. Besides you can use free internet in most stations (you can see internet terminals on the right side of the picture)

The platforms

Streets in HK Island

More pictures coming in the next thread
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #2
highroad

Likes (Received): 0

HK rocks!!

What can I say.. these pix talk for themselves.
There is no other place on earth that is comparable to Hong Kong!!!
Hong Kong is my heaven on earth!

thanks Monkey
highroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

^ I'm glad you liked them. However it's not me you should thank but Jonas. He was the photographer. Unfortunately he's banned here.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 375

The shots of 2IFC are amazing! Standing at the base and looking up is breathtaking
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote