daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Dubai Projects > DubaiLand > Masterplanned Projects by Mizin

Masterplanned Projects by Mizin Developments in Majan, Arjan, Liwan, etc

Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 22

#PROJECT: GREAT DUBAI WHEEL (Arjan)

Work to begin on the AED 250 Million Great Dubai Wheel project

Dubai Municipality has approved the master plan of the AED 250 million Great Dubai Wheel project.

Dubai Municipality Approves Master Plan of 185-metre Observation Wheel

Work will begin shortly on the 185-metre Observation Wheel, one of Dubailand's landmark tourist attractions, which will welcome its first visitors in early 2009 and provide a breathtaking panoramic view of Dubai and beyond.

Salem bin Dasmal, CEO, Dubailand said: 'I am confident that the Great Dubai Wheel will add a unique architectural landmark to the Dubai skyline, and enhance the Dubailand experience several times over.

'The Great Wheel Corporation has a proven track record in developing these remarkable attractions around the world, and I am glad Dubailand is the destination for their masterpiece in Dubai.'

The scheme's master plan was presented to Dubailand and Dubai Municipality by Great Wheel Corporation, a fast growing company in developing, financing, building and operating Great Wheels. Currently, the group is working on various sites around the world.

Leon Heijkoop, representative of the Great Wheel Corporation in Dubai said: 'Gaining the approval of Dubailand and Dubai Municipality is crucial to the development of the Great Dubai Wheel, and we are grateful to both for their unstinted support through every phase of the project to date.'

Heijkoop added that the master plan was prepared by a team of international experts with the support of Dubailand's project consultants.

Florian Bollen, Chairman of the Great Wheel Corporation, said: 'Evidence from destinations that already have the Great Wheel suggests that they are a very popular way of seeing the cityscape from a different perspective. The Great Dubai Wheel will be one of the most attractive locations in Dubai to visit - a place for families and friends, as well as for tourists to enjoy stunning views during a 30 minute fantastic experience.'

The Great Dubai Wheel is expected to attract 2 million visitors each year to Dubailand and further boost the region's image as a tourist destination.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Krazy
Kool Kat

Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM   #3
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 4130

that are great news, a new record for Dubai is coming

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 4

after all these rumours it finally has been announced
great to see such an addition
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM   #5
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 9

perfect to have it approved.. tooks so long.
didn't we have a thread already? for the one in AD which was relocated?

anyway, this was important for Dubailand
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
european

Likes (Received): 21

How far is this wheel from SZR.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #7
guy_in_dubai
skyscrapers!!

Likes (Received): 1

there was a talkshow with the manager of the company hu is making it. it was on the business breakfast on dubai eye..

um, basicaly he said that it wud be the second largest weel in the world since they promised the largest wheel in beijing for the olympics.also, tickets will be around 65 per person and it will take half an hour for a whole round. theyre also planning to make 500 dirhams per day so that they can repay the loan in 3 years.

thats all i remember
guy_in_dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #8
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

500 dirhams per day. they expect 8 people per day? not bad.

anyway it sucks we won't get the world's largest.. i mean.. beijing.. that won't be ready in 2008 anyway
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Awesome thing. Taller than anything Birmingham has But I have a feeling that wheels do actualy make something appear tacky. But this seems to have the right feeling, jsut like the London Eye,
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #10
thedubailife
To Infinty and Beyond

Would have been better built in Creek Park or somewhere on creek especially with nature reserve close by would have made for even spectacular views of sea etc.

I think dubailand is a bit far into desert for real spectacular views of nature

Last edited by thedubailife; October 4th, 2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Because it's my post and i felt like editing it
thedubailife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #11
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 256

That design i found about 1,5 years ago in connestion with the catchwork Dubailan on google.What has happened with that design?

[IMG]

I ♥ NYC
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #12
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 4130

OMG, stunning design .

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #13
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedubailife View Post
Would have been better built in Creek Park or somewhere on creek especially with nature reserve close by would have made for even spectacular views of sea etc.

I think dubailand is a bit far into desert for real spectacular views of nature
That's what I was thinking too. Somewhere where you'd get some interesting views would be way better than seeing just desert and houses.
Also they could come up with a better name, maybe "dubeye" or something like that
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #14
Krazy
Kool Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_in_dubai View Post
um, basicaly he said that it wud be the second largest weel in the world since they promised the largest wheel in beijing for the olympics.
today's GN reports that Dubai Wheel will be the 'world's tallest observation wheel'... dont know if they are just playing with words or if it's just pulicity 'dubai is the greatest' hype bs
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #15
Krazy
Kool Kat

Trio chase the Great Dubai Wheel project

The US $68 million deal will see a 208m-tall wheel built in Dubailand.

Three contractors are bidding to build the US $68 million (AED250 million) Great Dubai Wheel in Dubailand. The project is being promoted by the Great Wheel Corporation – a company backed by Hollandia, the Dutch contractor that built the London Eye. Standing 208m tall and weighing in at 2,800 tonnes, it will be even bigger than the London Eye.

Spokesman Leon Heijkoop, said: “We are in the middle of the tendering process and we have spoken to several contractors. The difficulty is that this contract will involve very different disciplines.”

Dubai Municipality approved the project this week, allowing construction work to start in November, subject to the appointment of a contractor. Two local firms and one international company are currently in the running for the job.

Salem Bin Dasmal, CEO, Dubailand, said: “The Great Wheel Corporation has a proven track record in developing these remarkable attractions around the world and I am glad Dubailand is the destination for their masterpiece in Dubai.”

The observation wheel is set to attract its first visitors in early 2009 and is expected to attract up to two million visitors each year.

Last year Construction Week revealed how another company had hoped to build a similar observation wheel project in Dubai. US firm Voyager Entertainment International came to the emirate in April 2005 to promote its $150 million project, billed as the biggest observation wheel in the world.

It claimed that it had signed an agreement with an international investment bank called Allied Investment House (AIH) with global operations. But CW eventually traced AIH to a serviced office suite in Dubai’s Fairmont Hotel – rented by the day.
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Krazy
Kool Kat

so is the height 185m or 208m?
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #17
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

i guess it is 208m.
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #18
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 79

The Beijing wheel is 208m
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #19
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

so this one will be 208 as well, they won't complain and both have the tallest

btw location opposite Dubai Autodrome, where Umm Suqeim Road and Emirates Road meet.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #20
DG
Emirian Lady

would be better if it was located beside the creek
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote