daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #21
Pommes-T
Hamburg Meine Perle

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice photos! I like them a lot!
Pommes-T no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #22
Marsupilami

Likes (Received): 11353

i just love the way you presented the city. very interesting shots and angles. i really want to visit the city after this little show.
kind regards from the other side of the world (Chile)
Rio de Janeiro-Cabo Frío-Búzios-Lima-Máncora-Piura-Chimbote-Huacho-Chancay-Buenos Aires-La Plata-Oslo-Bergen-Skien-Ulefoss-Hareid-Ålesund-Bø
Marsupilami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #23
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

A couple of additional shots:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #24
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Some information on the sites in Helsinki:

Uspenski Cathedral (big brick church)

The Uspenski Cathedral (Finnish Uspenskin katedraali) is an Eastern Orthodox cathedral in Helsinki, Finland, dedicated to the Dormition. Built from 1862-1868 by the Russian architect Aleksei Gornostayev, the cathedral is set upon a hillside on the Katajanokka peninsula overlooking the city. On the back of the cathedral is a plaque commemorating Tsar Alexander II of Russia, ruler of Finland during its construction. The main cathedral of the Finnish Orthodox Church Diocese of Helsinki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uspenski_Cathedral

Eduskuntalo (parliament building...can be seen in a couple of pics, it's the large building with the massive columns)

The architectural competition which was held in 1924 was won by the firm of Borg–Sirén–Åberg with a proposal called Oratoribus (Latin for "for the speakers"). Johan Sigfrid Sirén (1889–1961), who was mainly responsible for preparing the proposal, was given the task of designing Parliament House. The building was constructed 1926–1931 and was officially inaugurated on March 7, 1931. Ever since then, and especially during the Winter War and Continuation War, it has been the scene of many key moments in the nation's political life.

Architecture and features

Eduskuntatalo was designed in the classic style of the 1920s. The exterior is reddish Kalvola granite. The façade is lined by fourteen columns with Corinthian capitals.

The building has five floors, each of which is unique. The floors are connected by a white marble staircase and famous paternoster lifts. Most important for visitors are the beautiful main lobby, the stately Session Hall and the awe-inspiring Hall of State.

Notable later additions to the building are the library annex completed in 1978 and a separate office block, the needfulness of which was an object of some controversy, completed in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduskuntatalo

And of course...Senate Square

The Senate Square (in Finnish Senaatintori, in Swedish Senatstorget) presents Carl Ludvig Engel's architecture as a unique allegory of political, religious, scientific and commercial powers in the centre of Helsinki.

The Palace of the Council of State was completed on the eastern side of the Senate Square in 1822. It served as the senate of Finland until 1907 when the Eduskunta building was completed. The main University building, on the opposite side of the Senate Square, was constructed in 1832.

The Helsinki Cathedral on the northern edge of the Senate Square, was Engel's lengthiest architectural project. He was working on it from 1818 until his death in 1840. The Helsinki Cathedral - then called the Church of Nicholas - dominates the Senate Square, and was finalized twelve years afters Engel's death, in 1852.

Today, the Senate Square is one of the main tourist attractions of Helsinki. Various art happenings, ranging from concerts to snow buildings to controversial snow board happenings, have been set up on the Senate Square.

Digital carillion music (in Finnish Senaatintorin ääni) is played daily at 17:49 (5:49 PM) at the Senate Square. The optimal listening position is at the proximity of the Square's central monument, the bronze statue of Czar Alexander II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki_Senate_Square

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #25
Novak

Likes (Received): 7

Excellent, very interesting shots! Thanks for the tour
Novak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #26
paku
polished and finnished

Likes (Received): 218

Great job! You make the city look much more interesting, than it is in reality. In fact I don't think it looks worse, than what it would have looked like, if it was sunny. Menancholic looks are the ones that suit Helsinki best IMO.
Was Finland and Finns in general what you expected it to be?
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #27
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

You are right... except: Helsinki IS an interesting city that can rival without any problems Stockholm or even it's "mother city" St.Petersburg. It has great architecture throughout the 20th century (except the only not-that-great building by Alvar Aalto on the harbour...), a vivid bar and club scene, and a lot of sightseeings. The only thing is the sometimes a bit rough and seedy nightlife because of all those drunkards. But it's a cultural thing and something you can get used to... or not

And it has THEM...

...and had HIM (not the band - one of the greatest european actors)
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #28
DeCoNs
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

It is clear that you have an expensive camera, nice quality but poor photography.
DeCoNs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #29
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Serves you right to be banned.

Old October 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #30
Yuval
Here to create

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuesel View Post

...and had HIM (not the band - one of the greatest european actors)
If I'm not mistaken, it's Matti Pelonpaa, indeed a great.

Finland, with more than 100 active theater companies and a hugely active cinema scene, takes care of its actors and it's got some massive talents.

It also feeds the lenses of talented foreign photographers, way to go.

How surreal is life? read my blog
Yuval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #31
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Thanks. To be honest, I would have liked to have stayed there. Maybe I'll emigrate at some point in the future. The city's really nice. A bit rough around the edges and not too pretty like Paris or maybe even Stockholm. It really has a sleek look to itself. You Helsinkians (Helsinkers?) are lucky to be living in such a great city.
Thank you. I've lived in Helsinki all my life. Of course it doesn't feel special anymore to me. It's really nice to see, that people like this city. I'm not sure what it is that people like in here. Very small downtown area, not much to see I think. Yes, there are some nice places but there are very few of them. At winter it can be very cold in here too (now it isn't tho).
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #32
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6428

Helsinki is one of my fave places in the world, amazing in summer when you can wake up at 2am, sit by the sea and watch the sunset/sunrise with the clubbers thats been going on for hours.

Its justifiably famous (not enough tho'!) as an architects dream- so many styles in one place, streets and streets of ornate 18th, 19th and 20th century facades.

I really want to visit again, tho just for this, Helsinki's own little Harajuku freekscene ,tho' a bit tamer than Tokyo's: (don't worry this is just a minority 'scene' the Finns dont really all dress like that, tho' theyre very fashion savvy):

fan-****intastic

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 17th, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #33
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Freakin awesome!

Old December 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #34
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59669

^ it's the woodfeller-look, isn't it?

Looks, as they would come from the forest from collecting mushrooms.

I'm considering to style me also in such a way... Ladys, I'm coming

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #35
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Not Mushrooms - Lakka and Mustikko (Cloudberry and Blueberries) - it's cool!
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #36
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

You'd likely get a stain on that awesome shirt though if you were collecting berries.

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM   #37
Conrad

Likes (Received): 3

what building is this
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...helsinki57.jpg ?
Conrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM   #38
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../helsinki8.jpg

did you lose weight? good for you ..
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #39
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
From Wikipedia: "Säätytalo is a historical building in Helsinki, Finland. It housed the three commoner ones of the four estates of the realm of Finland since it was built 1891. The estates were rendered meaningless at the 1906 parliamentary reform after which the newly found Eduskunta, the parliament of Finland, also settled elsewhere, leaving Säätytalo for secondary usage.

Today Säätytalo houses sporadic governmental meetings. It is also the established location for official coalition talks after general elections."

Here´s a pic I took this autumn where you can see the whole building. It´s pretty cool imo.

Another pic:
http://www.korttelit.fi/rakennus.php/id/328
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #40
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Didn't the EU hold a press conference with Putin in that building last december?