daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #121
kids
Registered User
 
kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 9,999
Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Duvall View Post
Riot, how can i get a link on your site???

www.shove-media.com.

would be great if we could. cool site by the way
You've got a pretty cool site there yourself. Glad you like designfood but unfortunately it's not mine, just doing a bit of endorsment. Message this guy:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/member.php?u=53466

Or email them directly:

http://www.designfood.co.uk/topmenu/contact.htm

Or you could reccomend yourself on the forum:

http://www.designfood.co.uk/discussi...wforum.php?f=2

Your work is excellent btw.
__________________
“the city is redundant: it repeats itself so that something will stick in the mind... memory is redundant: it repeats itself so that the city can begin to exist.”.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #122
chompo44
Registered User
 
chompo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: northern lights
Posts: 272
Likes (Received): 0

I might be the only one with this point of view, but i have a problem with stone or brick cladding on tall buildings. Its inherantly false as it couldn't be built that tall out of the material it is clad with.
the same goes for brickwork with invisible lintels, it doesn't quite sit right
concrete on the other hand would do the job structuraly and look right, as you would expect it to be holding the building up
chompo44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #123
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish
 
BeardedGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,359
Likes (Received): 1

I've heard they'll be no stairs or lifts in the tower, and instead people will have to use the external ladders to move between floors. Can anyone confirm this?

__________________
"I feel close to the rebelliousness and vigour of the youth
here. Perhaps time will seperate us, but nobody can deny
that here, behind the windows of Manchester, there is an
insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #124
Architecty
Still Lurking
 
Architecty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 10

Bewildered how anyone who claims to like skyscrapers can not like this, tis the bollocks (and that is a technical term I’ll have you know).

I don’t think I particularly like it more than the previous incarnation, but I certainly like it as much; a very successful development of the design. Arca have done a blinding job. I share everyone’s sentiments at concern regarding BSC, but I am starting to hope that if he doesn’t have the resource to build these schemes himself, he is investing all this money and effort in the designs and planning in order to sell them on as a going concern, to someone who does have the resources/ability to put them up.

Everything crossed; after all the positive things have heard about Eastgate and Crown at CUBE, lets hope that the gods smile on Manchester/Salford and get all of these badboys up. So many very exciting schemes all over the city, please let at least most of them happen. Then we will have a skyline to really shout about.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #125
mikeboss
Mikeisking
 
mikeboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oldham, Manchester
Posts: 248
Likes (Received): 0

Does annybody know the official height of this and the podium and is it all Residential.
mikeboss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #126
Architecty
Still Lurking
 
Architecty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompo44 View Post
I might be the only one with this point of view, but i have a problem with stone or brick cladding on tall buildings. Its inherantly false as it couldn't be built that tall out of the material it is clad with.
the same goes for brickwork with invisible lintels, it doesn't quite sit right
concrete on the other hand would do the job structuraly and look right, as you would expect it to be holding the building up
I do understand your sentiment Chompo, but even if it was clad with concrete panels they almost certainly wouldn’t be structural on a modern building; you could take the view that to use concrete to try and appear as that was holding the building up was equally “untruthful”. In any case Mr Issa apparently has a penchant for sourcing his materials in China to get them super cheap and generally show off about how much of a property player he is; considering BSC may not have anything to do with the finished product it could easily turn into concrete, but is it really so bad if it was beautifully finished in stone? Most Victorian/Edwardian/early modernist buildings “lie” about their construction, it is possible to get overly precious about the ideology of it all.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #127
chompo44
Registered User
 
chompo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: northern lights
Posts: 272
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecty View Post
I do understand your sentiment Chompo, but even if it was clad with concrete panels they almost certainly wouldn’t be structural on a modern building; you could take the view that to use concrete to try and appear as that was holding the building up was equally “untruthful”. In any case Mr Issa apparently has a penchant for sourcing his materials in China to get them super cheap and generally show off about how much of a property player he is; considering BSC may not have anything to do with the finished product it could easily turn into concrete, but is it really so bad if it was beautifully finished in stone? Most Victorian/Edwardian/early modernist buildings “lie” about their construction, it is possible to get overly precious about the ideology of it all.
I agree, its only lowrise structures of a certain age that wear their structure on their sleeve.
A decent stone cladding will look pretty good on this one, i would just prefer some of the buildings strength applied to these large panels, and feel concrete would be more relevant.
As for Mr Issa, I believe that his attempts to outsource and save money are having the reverse effect and hence the delays on his projects
chompo44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #128
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat
 
Manchester Planner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,834
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
Does annybody know the official height of this and the podium and is it all Residential.
No - anyone got access to the planning application? Should give us all the details (as it is a full one).
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #129
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch
 
Caiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 10,081
Likes (Received): 281

BSC. Shame.

The towers look nice though, I hope they see the light of day.
__________________
What the fuck is this, Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Cunt?
Caiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #130
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto
 
dirtyred619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Manchester
Posts: 418
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
No - anyone got access to the planning application? Should give us all the details (as it is a full one).
Does'nt appear to be online yet, if its gone in today as mentioned (hopefully!) and knowing Salford Council, I would'nt expect to see it until mid next week.
__________________
Up Yer Ronson
dirtyred619 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #131
SimLim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

I love the height, I love the position but I deteste the cladding. An absolute horror.

"Oh come and look at my view"

....

"Not bad. But why do you have a ladder covering your window?"
  Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #132
STUBBY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 552
Likes (Received): 0

This reminds me of the sixties tower block my friend lives in. I wonder what all those white bits are for on the outside? Won't they get in the way if you're looking through the window? I don't think my mate would like those white thingys spoiling his view anyway, and they might get rusty!

It doesn't have much going for it does it?
STUBBY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #133
Chogmook
Mancunian Member
 
Chogmook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Stalybridge, Manchester
Posts: 6,280
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
I love the height, I love the position but I deteste the cladding. An absolute horror.

"Oh come and look at my view"

....

"Not bad. But why do you have a ladder covering your window?"
Now you see, us in Manchester, we like renders of our buildings not too impressive, as it actually makes the real finished product look better, which i believe it will be.

It will NOT be anything like Orion in Birmingham, where you truly got one big (well mid-rise) turd of a building.

Have faith in this one!
__________________
Britain is Great, Manchester is Greater!
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #134
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn
 
skymann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MANCHESTER, Gtr Mcr County
Posts: 822
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
I love the height, I love the position but I deteste the cladding. An absolute horror.
I also like the height, I think it's in the wrong place - looms over the medieval cathedral in a distasteful way - the cladding is vile. It's location too near the cathedral and the truly awful cladding and colour will spoil the views in this northern corner of Manchester city centre - well forever if the bugger gets built - just like the awful North Tower did when they allowed that to be built in the 60s. Tall buildings I love but not in sensitive locations and then if they have to be built then only something of the best quality. I wouldn't even want to see Beetham or Eastgate tower built in this location, but this thing - well it's just gonna be hated - even more than the Arndale tower. In 10 years time (if it gets built and if it's BSC it won't be) Mancunians will be voting this the biggest eyesore in the city (the Arndale tower and City Tower will be relieved).
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #135
Manc Guy
....
 
Manc Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,815
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
I also like the height, I think it's in the wrong place - looms over the medieval cathedral in a distasteful way - the cladding is vile. It's location too near the cathedral and the truly awful cladding and colour will spoil the views in this northern corner of Manchester city centre - well forever if the bugger gets built - just like the awful North Tower did when they allowed that to be built in the 60s. Tall buildings I love but not in sensitive locations and then if they have to be built then only something of the best quality. I wouldn't even want to see Beetham or Eastgate tower built in this location, but this thing - well it's just gonna be hated - even more than the Arndale tower. In 10 years time (if it gets built and if it's BSC it won't be) Mancunians will be voting this the biggest eyesore in the city (the Arndale tower and City Tower will be relieved).
I think it's location is pefrect!



To say it looms over the catherdral, I really cant see how it does? It looms over Tempus thats for sure. I think the shot with the Cathedral looks very exciting, all these towers spaced out will soon enough be working in Manchester's favour and I see nothing wrong in that happening.

I cant make my mind up on the cladding, those ladder grill things should go if anything.
Manc Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #136
cottonopolis
Registered User
 
cottonopolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Manchester/København
Posts: 271
Likes (Received): 0

I was getting worried for a second there - couldn´t believe everyone seemed to love this so much. Glad to see others have reservations about this. Theres just something fundamentally wrong with the mix and choice of cladding.
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #137
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch
 
Caiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 10,081
Likes (Received): 281

Don't worry, it's not as if it's actually going to be built.
__________________
What the fuck is this, Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Cunt?
Caiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #138
cottonopolis
Registered User
 
cottonopolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Manchester/København
Posts: 271
Likes (Received): 0

True...
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #139
Manc Guy
....
 
Manc Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,815
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
That shot looks so over exagerated...
Manc Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #140
delores
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,120
Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonopolis View Post
I was getting worried for a second there - couldn´t believe everyone seemed to love this so much. Glad to see others have reservations about this. Theres just something fundamentally wrong with the mix and choice of cladding.
Why? It seems perfectly ok to me? I think it could be a great addition to this area , my only reservation is that the tower stops abruptly , there seems to be an unwritten rule that every new tower built in manchester or england for that matter should not be crowned with something interesting? or atleast its mass is reduced as it touches the sky.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu