daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #1
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 226

Eastside City Park | Curzon Street | Comp.

and the good news keeps on coming. Thanks Key

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Generat...PE=0&MENU_ID=0

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4

Entry 5

Entry 6
U475 Foxtrot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

Some entries show the future buildings to be built around there and I noticed a tower in the direction of Curzon Park. There is a nice curved building around some sort of courtyard as well in Curzon Park opposite Millenium Point on Entry 3. There is fantastic building on Design 4 which shows some sort of building with a bulge.

I am not too sure on many of them but design 5 is the worst. Not enough of the green stuff to be called a park. And the steaming ice thing just sounds too dodgy and fantasy like. 6 is my favourite I guess. The first seems a bit like the arboretum in Walsall though I really like the amount of water and the way there are many little bays. I like the mini islands at the end of design 2 but it al seems too square for the modern part and I dont think water would do well in the Park Street Gardens area as that was a graveyard. Design 3 would look great from the air and would look nice from ground level but the water doesnt seem natural enough. And I dont have a clue whats going on in deisgn 4 so I won't comment on it...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
ROYAL BLUE
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Likes (Received): 1066

I actually like them all, the fact that they appear to be surrounded by tall buildings on all sides looks awsome. Almost like central park. which ever design wins, the city will look awsome.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #4
U475 Foxtrot

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; October 9th, 2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #5
U475 Foxtrot

I wouldn't read too much into the buildings. The bulging one on Entry 4 is next to the Globe Theatre on the Southbank.

After a couple of hours pondering and without going it deep analysis it's entry 2 for me as it's the most avant garde. Also like the little open pavillion and wintergarden style glass house.

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; October 9th, 2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 105

2 is my favourite - followed by 6. All look good. Brum going from strength to strength. Where's Martin G these days? "Its all gone quiet over there, its all gone quiet, its all gone quiet over there."
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #7
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

definately 2 with its fabulous proscenium arch. i made a comment on the bham website emploring them to include dancing fountains lol
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #8
bileduct
malu cachu

Likes (Received): 0

More design competitions for Birmingham please ... you look at this, the Mailbox expansion and Warwick Bar - what a difference setting a competitive challenge to a talented selection of people makes to the quality of the proposals you get.

Having said that, I quite fancy the one that, on the face of it, is the most conservative - number 3. Of all of them it looks the one that is designed not to look cool in plan-form on a bit of paper but to work as a series of actual 3D spaces that people will really want to populate with activity in a finished urban context. The criss-crossing paths idea seems an ingenious way of getting the balance right between dividing the space up into manageable chunks while still giving a sense of being part of a continuous whole, and the pathway-mapping rationale they give for the overall layout - meshing the form of the park into the form of the surrounding urban area - seems really rather convincing.

That said, it does look slightly as if the scheme 3 designers got bored at the detailing stage and just plumped for ... er ... clumps of trees. If they could fit some of the more imaginative detailed ideas of scheme 2 into the overall framework of scheme 3 that would be perfect.
bileduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #9
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 589

i love the part of design 2 where thewater falls away into the canal..... a great idea
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #10
feltip

Likes (Received): 466

Yeah I went for design 3 too.
I hope we have all voted on the website too, theres £20 bullring voucher to be won too as an incentive.

Theyre all extremely good and each had bits I would want to see in final design and what a fantastic way to advertise it to visitors as you go past it on train.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #11
Downtown Mark
It's psychedelic baby

LDN EUROPE do you live in birmingham? youv'e got good taste it seems Dave angel played at Q club few years back & the custard factory too? I remember the days of eco warriors rocking at the q club that was a huge part of soul in our city & colour too, we miss that so much, hard to find a huge techno arena anywhere these days? from hippies to office ladys the q club was so diverse. are you in Brum LDN?
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #12
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 589

nope..... option 2 is by far the best!
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 836

I liked number 2 the most but I think no matter which design is chosen Birmingham is the winner. Its all suddenly looking very positive here isn't it.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 39

Its a toss up between design 2 and 3 for me. But they all look very inspiring and just what central Birmingham needs - a bit of colour!

The only real pity is letting the public roam through the park: hate being a cynic but how long will it take before we see the first chip wrapper/coke tin on the floor and a daub of graffitti splatted over some new shiny monument!
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #15
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1879

If you want to see them and speak to some of the designers, they are all on show at level G2 entrance to Millennium Point.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #16
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny97 View Post
Its a toss up between design 2 and 3 for me. But they all look very inspiring and just what central Birmingham needs - a bit of colour!

The only real pity is letting the public roam through the park: hate being a cynic but how long will it take before we see the first chip wrapper/coke tin on the floor and a daub of graffitti splatted over some new shiny monument!
...and the winos commandeering the benches?
Mr Glide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #17
The Concerned Potato
Desperate for a Wii

entry 3 for me
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #18
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1879

There are questionnaires at Millennium Point and you get to choose which entry you like. Also a few other things about what you would like to see in the park. The design with the most votes wins. I think you can also pick up the questionnaires at the council house.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #19
Steve-e-b

Thanks for the links. I've just sat here for about an hour with my girlfriend going over the designs. All are excellent, which is very encouraging.
All the designs covered my wish list:
- an open space for events close to the city centre
- sculptures/centre-pieces outside MP to draw visitors
- an exciting, fun walkway from the city out to the canal

The idea of linking the water feature(s) with the canal cropped up in 2 or 3 of the designs. That would be a clever way of making the canal side an extension of the park.
The only negative aspect we came up with was that designs 2 and 5 were missing a large open space for events/gatherings. These designs looked too narrow.

Overall I thought design 4 was the best. I particularly liked its attention to how the park would come alive at night. The lighting schemes looked great. It also had an imaginative layout that split the narrow space into several curved areas.
Steve-e-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Steve-e-b

I forgot to give credit to BCC, themselves, for the questionnaire which is really well thought-out.
Normally I'd expect a 'choose your favourite', 'any other comments' sort of questionnaire. In which the least offensive and most bland choice inevitably wins the day.
Credit to BCC; they ask for your view on several aspects of the park. They are obviously putting the time into getting this right.
Steve-e-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
eastside, park

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: