daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #361
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

woah! this has gone so fast!
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #362
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Very impressive night shots!
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #363
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

10.30 gaoloumi.com

image hosted on flickr
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #364
russiadick

Likes (Received): 2

wow, rising with a incredible speed

btw, how many floors left?
russiadick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #365
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Should top out in November. Should only be a few floors left. Wow!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM   #366
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Whoa crazy! It is looking good!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #367
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

11.2 gaoloumi.com

BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #368
SilentStrike

imo the train station is ugly and should have been placed further from the river :S

thnx for the photos tho, barb
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM   #369
Caravaggio
Caravaggio

Likes (Received): 54

Well usually train stations are built near the centers of cities.It provides fast access to other parts of the city and it is convenient because it is close to the business district.In my opinion they couldn't have chosen a better location.
Caravaggio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM   #370
SilentStrike

yeah but now it takes away area that otherwise coulve been for skyscrapers. I wouldve prefered it if there was just a metro and make the trainstation a bit further away.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #371
Clashman

Likes (Received): 18

I'm going to disagree. Having the train station is a huge boon to the downtown economy, and will bring tons of tourists right to the heart of the city, near the Italian area, the Riverside, and the new Jin Wan Plaza and soon, a central hub of the subway system which will be served by 3 lines. Think what you will of the train station itself, (I actually like the renovated design), it serves a vital area of the city, and does it better than if it were placed anywhere else. If you placed it anywhere outside of this area, you would have to basically scrap the city-wide subway plan or build it in an area where it was served by fewer/no lines. In addition, you would lose a lot of secondary benefits of bringing in tourism, because you take them far from the city, where, (if they are visitors), they are simply going to take a taxi straight to their hotel/destination, rather than walk around and see something new. You would also need to create tons of infrastructure to reroute the rail lines, as they have already been built through that area. All this in addition to the cost of building a new main train station, (as opposed to renovating and expanding the old one), acquiring new land for the lines and station, and the inconvenience of having to take a 50 yuan cab ride or an hour and a half subway ride to get where you want once you arrive in the city, (see Beijing South station and the old temporary Tianjin Train Station), make it a pretty easy choice. You can build skyscrapers anywhere, that's the whole point of them, (large area in a small footprint). Train stations though, are a bigger pain in the butt.
Clashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #372
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

They can build a central station a little faraway and use one subway line to get to the new CBD. I think that will work. People first arrive at the central station from all directions, and then take the one line to the new CBD. What is the problem with that? Just a few more minutes' travel. Besides, I don't think many activities will be centered around here. This area will be filled with more office buildings and less life. It will be like Pudong of Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashman View Post
I'm going to disagree. Having the train station is a huge boon to the downtown economy, and will bring tons of tourists right to the heart of the city, near the Italian area, the Riverside, and the new Jin Wan Plaza and soon, a central hub of the subway system which will be served by 3 lines. Think what you will of the train station itself, (I actually like the renovated design), it serves a vital area of the city, and does it better than if it were placed anywhere else. If you placed it anywhere outside of this area, you would have to basically scrap the city-wide subway plan or build it in an area where it was served by fewer/no lines. In addition, you would lose a lot of secondary benefits of bringing in tourism, because you take them far from the city, where, (if they are visitors), they are simply going to take a taxi straight to their hotel/destination, rather than walk around and see something new. You would also need to create tons of infrastructure to reroute the rail lines, as they have already been built through that area. All this in addition to the cost of building a new main train station, (as opposed to renovating and expanding the old one), acquiring new land for the lines and station, and the inconvenience of having to take a 50 yuan cab ride or an hour and a half subway ride to get where you want once you arrive in the city, (see Beijing South station and the old temporary Tianjin Train Station), make it a pretty easy choice. You can build skyscrapers anywhere, that's the whole point of them, (large area in a small footprint). Train stations though, are a bigger pain in the butt.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #373
SilentStrike

I am not saying that the train station is a bad idea in terms of usefulness. Just in terms of looks for skyscraper fans its not nice.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #374
SimFox

Likes (Received): 441

for a very narrowminded skyscraper fan - sure! One that only know one thing, one question - how high...

Station as a hub is absolutely vital. The fact that BJ South is in such an odd place severely reduces it effectiveness. And what means major station linked to the rest of the city by only one line is well shown by SH south. One can't stuff oneself into the mentro there, as it already arrives to it full of commuters.
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #375
SilentStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post

for a very narrowminded skyscraper fan - sure! One that only know one thing, one question - how high...

Station as a hub is absolutely vital. The fact that BJ South is in such an odd place severely reduces it effectiveness. And what means major station linked to the rest of the city by only one line is well shown by SH south. One can't stuff oneself into the mentro there, as it already arrives to it full of commuters.
omg can you read? where did I say its not vital.
Pfff what I like it going down the river, looking right... skyscraper, looking left... skyscraper thats all I meant ok?
Dont call me narrowminded u dont know anything about me.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #376
Clashman

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
They can build a central station a little faraway and use one subway line to get to the new CBD. I think that will work. People first arrive at the central station from all directions, and then take the one line to the new CBD. What is the problem with that? Just a few more minutes' travel. Besides, I don't think many activities will be centered around here. This area will be filled with more office buildings and less life. It will be like Pudong of Shanghai.
There already is a lot of commercial activity going on near the station. The river boardwalk area is full of river cruises every weekend. The Italian area has filled up with bars & restaurants, and is becoming a pretty hip place to go. Right across the river is Jiefang Bei Lu, kind of a historical area that is nice for a walk, the new Jin Wan Plaza, which also has tons of theaters and restaurants, and even Binjiang Dao/Heping Lu is only about a 10-15 minute walk. The area has undergone a huge renaissance in the last year and a half. You might be confusing this area with Binhai/Tanggu/TEDA. This area is nothing like Pudong. It is much more urban and centralized.

Building a new station outwards might seem ok, but by only being served by one subway line instead of 3, you are going to reduce it's effectiveness significantly. Having to commute from Tianjin to Beijing on a semi-regular basis, I can tell you right now that even with the extra subway line, every single person I know would still prefer that the high-speed train went to the downtown station instead of Beijing south.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, though.
Clashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #377
SimFox

Likes (Received): 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
omg can you read? where did I say its not vital.
Pfff what I like it going down the river, looking right... skyscraper, looking left... skyscraper thats all I meant ok?
Dont call me narrowminded u dont know anything about me.
yes I don't know YOU. all I have to go is what you have written. That is how you present yourself here. And my opinion was a reply for your reasoning, particularly the quality of it.

In this way I think I know enough about you to say what I've said.

Clashman:

+1000!
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #378
SilentStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post
all I have to go is what you have written.
Thats why you shouldnt make opinions about people so fast.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #379
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
Thats why you shouldnt make opinions about people so fast.
I think you should do the same thing.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #380
SilentStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I think you should do the same thing.
what wrong with you. Tell me where in this thread ive said anything about anyone?

Gosh this is getting retarded. Im being bombarded with retard statements based on nothing.

Oh and i got a lil image for you

Last edited by SilentStrike; November 10th, 2009 at 07:17 PM.