daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #501
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Thanks for the link! I am very disappointed with this design of proposed observation tower... Portland is beautiful city and deserve more classic observation tower like Space Needle or Skytower in Auckland, New Zealand. This design doesn't fit Portland image very well... I hope they will change the design before they go ahead build one.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 19th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #502
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Likes (Received): 52

That observation tower, the SM-Art Tower is so ugly... I want to cry. I mean, wow.... wow.... who designed that? Woah.... gosh... *Sheilds eyes.*

Cool, it provides pwoer for thecity, but not cool it will turn people away from this city. I don't think their is a need for a Space Needle knockoff anyway. Seattle has teh needle thing down, come up with your own thing Portland, like you already have... urban greenery. Urban living, etc.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #503
CrazyAboutCities

Portland got really awesome geography... I am sure Portlanders and tourists would love to have an observation tower to see the volcanoes and entire of Portland metro area. I am thankful that Seattle has one... I like to see Portland to have one too as well. Of course it has to come with much better design than this proposed tower.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #504
Vampirecat
Lurker in Shadows

Likes (Received): 0

I have to say that proposed SM-Art Tower is UUUUGGGGLY. It sticks out, all right. Like a sore thumb.
Vampirecat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #505
pwalker

Likes (Received): 6

I don't think many in Portland take this thing too seriously. I doubt it will ever get built. Besides, Portland doesn't want to be Seattle. They want their own vibe.

It's interesting that the last ten posts here on the Portland thread have almost all been from Seattle.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #506
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 186

Hmm.. I like it.

It's definately unique.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #507
mdm106

I do agree; As far as the design goes, we can do better than that!

It would be great to have a significant landmark to bring in more tourist to the area!
mdm106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #508
taiwanesedrummer36

If I wanted to observe Portland, I wouldn't go to that thing!

Well, at least you guys come up with imaginative designs, as I recently saw at the Pearl and SoWa, unlike Seattle....(grumbling).........
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM   #509
diz
Unregistered User

I caught the WES Train in action today in Tualatin.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #510
diz
Unregistered User

also

Currently: 21°F/-6°C

the visibility

Interstate-5 facing south

Old December 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM   #511
CrazyAboutCities

Nice snows pictures! Please do not tell me Portlanders are freaking out about snows just like some Seattleites are doing right now.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM   #512
diz
Unregistered User

oh we're freakin out about tomorrow.
freezing rain forcasted.
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #513
el_sobrante

"Space Needle-sized tower proposed for Portland"

Space Needle-sized tower proposed for Portland

By Brian Barker and KATU Web Staff

September 16, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. – A developer is proposing building a $120 million tower on Portland's waterfront that would dwarf Oregon's tallest building.

At 650 feet tall, the building would be 10 stories taller than the Wells Fargo building (546 feet), offering an observation deck with views over the West Hills and north to Mount Rainier.

For comparison, the Space Needle is 605 feet tall. And the U.S. Bancorp Tower – known as Big Pink in Portland – is 536 feet.

The designers are calling it the SM-Art tower, which stands for Sustainable Modern Art, because it would be covered in wind turbines that would produce energy. Designers say it would be a monument to sustainability - generating power to sell to the city.

It was designed when the city asked for ideas to replace Portland's old visitor information center on the waterfront - where the McCall's restaurant building is now. Another use won the bid for that spot, but land developer Derek Hanna said he still wants to build the tower.

"A lot of different developers, they wait till they get to a certain point to release it," Hanna said. "We're releasing it at this step because we want the input from the people. We want the people of Portland to be proud of it. We really want all the input, negative and positive."

He said he would charge guests $10 a piece to ride to the top, and a coating of photovoltaic cells would power the structure. It would also only be 90 feet wide - meaning it would not block views like an office building.

"It's really like a viewing tower, and what's beautiful about it is it's probably the only place in Portland where you'll see Portland from above," said Eric Cugnart of MulvannyG2 Architecture.

Hanna added that he won't ask for public money to build it.

Now developers have to find a place to put it and get the city to approve the plan. They said they plan to spend the next two years selling the idea to the city.

-----
Interesting prospect - anyone up there in Ecotopia have any further updates on this project?
el_sobrante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #514
der Reisender

Likes (Received): 2

Some infill I had not known about---

The Kenton Commons in North Portland, by the Denver Ave MAX station, (http://www.kentoncommons.com/) is the first big mixed use infill in the neighborhood, offers 4 stories with ground level retail and a decent number of apartments above. Pretty standard development, but could mark a new stage of growth for the neighborhood, at least if the economy turns around

In Hollywood, things keep chugging along with a 6-story Providence office building going up (two elevator cores and a crane at the moment) between 43rd and 44th off Halsey. Will concentrate 1,200 employees a block from the MAX stop and take up space near the freeway that probably wouldn't see much better use. They have a render up at the site, but I had no camera with me, sorry
More info in this article: http://www.allbusiness.com/retail/re...1581266-1.html

Pretty bland architecture

Last edited by der Reisender; January 16th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added pics
der Reisender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #515
der Reisender

Two more Hollywood projects

First is the Beverly Condos and future home of a Whole Foods. It's not great but it is a step in the right direction for the neighborhood. At 45th and Sandy
http://thebeverlycondos.com/

This next one is at 39th and Hancock, same neighborhood. Decent infill. It's easy to complain about the quality of some of these projects but this is the type of development we didn't even have outside of downtown a decade ago.

Finally, the Sunrose Condos designed by Holst and located at E 28th and Burnside. The best of this lot, http://sunrosecondominiums.com/

all pictures are my own
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #516
cityscapes

Likes (Received): 110

Great infill projects but that SMART tower thing is really really ugly. If they want wind energy they should just put wind turbines in the countryside or something and not ruin the skyline.
cityscapes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM   #517
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 49

I briefly glanced through the pages of this thread and generally like the projects both proposed and built. I'm wondering if Portland has lived up to it's reputation as a city that has tried to stop or slow down suburban sprawl. I had a chance to visit Portland in the summer of 2005 but only for a day. I remember a relatively compact downtown, with many trees, but didn't visit any of the outlying areas. Has Portland in fact increased densities and slowed sprawl? How have the locals reacted/accepted the increased densities? How do densities compare with Seattle and Vancouver, BC? Has there been real progress? I know Portland also has an LRT, is it used to or near full capacity? Or is it a fancy train that runs around DT that no one really needs/uses? Can someone suggest a good article that sums up some of these issues.
Anyway, good luck to Portland in trying to kill the sprawl monster.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #518
der Reisender

Based on anecdotal observations, I'd say suburban densities have increased, but in terms of built form this typically just means houses packed together more, though some mixed-use projects have started to emerge in recent years. What we have doesn't compare with, say, Vancouver's suburbs and their towers. Locals seem to prefer increased densities over sprawl, but largely seems like they would rather neither happened. Both Seattle and Vancouver propers are denser than Portland's, though we have large areas of parks that are not developed.

As for LRT, it is used well in comparison to other US systems, as measured on a per-mile basis. I know that I personally use MAX and the bus with regularity and both certainly seemed well used, especially considering that Portland is by most counts a mid-sized, mid-density west coast city
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #519
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Likes (Received): 52

The Portland Metro has indeed increased in density over the years, and is a fine example of many towns growing town cores. But then again, so is Seattle. Both of these Pacific Northwest cores are fine examples striving to be better places to live in urban living.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #520
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 210

Considering all the bad comments made about the proposed S.M.Art Tower, nobody wants to see that tower built. It needs to have a completely different design or it won't be constructed at all.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
development news, portland, portland or, portland oregon, portlandia, willamette