daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:41 AM   #401
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Another one!

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghstoddart/

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM   #402
MissyC

What a lovely picture, from a really nice angle... now I can see the sheer size of it for real.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #403
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

it'll be topped out soon, right?
great pics, the tower is gorgeous.
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #404
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

it is massive and wonderful. one of the top ten tower's in the world IMO.
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #405
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Update

By surrealplaces, SSP

image hosted on flickr

By BigTime, SSP
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM   #406
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

I like it. Much better than the crap they're building in Edmonton. Why must Calgary get all the good skyscrapers?
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM   #407
MissyC

It looks like it is topped out now, isn't it?
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM   #408
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
It looks like it is topped out now, isn't it?
If not I'd say it's very close!
MattToronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM   #409
MissyC

so much reminds me of John Hancock
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #410
Regulator75

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
I like it. Much better than the crap they're building in Edmonton. Why must Calgary get all the good skyscrapers?
Because Edmonton is a 2nd rate city. No one wants to work or live there.
Regulator75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #411
dom

Likes (Received): 9

This is a very attractive building - it is good to see that Norman Foster is designing really high calibre buildings again!
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #412
Botswana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Because Edmonton is a 2nd rate city. No one wants to work or live there.
I agree. I hate this city.
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #413
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Quote:
common u guys. Edmonton isn't that bad.
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #414
Botswana

Well, it's not as bad as, let's say, Mogadishu, but it's a pretty ugly place.
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #415
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10285

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefordj View Post
common u guys. Edmonton isn't that bad.
Edmonton makes Calgary feel like Miami
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #416
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
I must agree. I like Edmonton but it's skyline is lacking a tower that stands out. To me it mostly looks boxy. Then again I thought for a while there Calgary was cloning buildings. Building two of everything. Now all the bow needs is a twin on the other side and you have a taller Toronto city hall.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #417
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

i love that they built two or three of everything. in the end it was a giant benefit for the skyline. instead of having miles of parking lots we have a dense city core. a great example of the opposite would be Huston. instead of a twin or triplets. the same companies that built twins in Calgary would build one big tall tower in Huston. in the end Calgary's skyline is IMO much more balanced and truly far denser than Huston's, which is chalk full of parking lots. so there is much to be said about the use of twins and triplets.
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM   #418
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

The new master of Calgary's skyline
The largest building in Western Canada is a calling card for Ledcor Construction, telling customers it is not just a pipeline builder
17 November 2010
The Globe and Mail

CALGARY -- More than 200 metres above Calgary's streets, a crane swings a long metal beam atop the West's new architectural crown.

The five-tonne length of steel is designed to support the upper reaches of the Bow, a building that is a study in superlatives: the largest building in the Canadian West and the biggest steel project in Canadian history. Kerry Gillis watches the beam move, and shrugs.

“Piece of cake on this job,” says the chief operating officer of Ledcor Construction Ltd., which is building the Bow and has hoisted steel pieces three times as heavy.

Earlier this month, Ledcor finished assembling the building's steel. The building's diamond-shaped “diagrid” supports will be completed by year's end; the walls of glass will be installed by late spring. The Bow, the largest North American construction project outside of New York's Freedom Tower, will then be externally complete.

There is a certain hubris that comes with building a two-million-square-foot tower that, long before workers had so much as dug the first spadeful of earth for its parking garage, was expected to become the new calling card of Calgary. Even competitors say the Bow is an icon for the city, a glass-covered fist thrust in the face of the recession.

It did not escape the downturn unscathed – financing problems by owner H&R Reit resulted in the suspension of plans for a second building. But construction on the main tower never stopped, and the money issues were eventually resolved with a $425-million financing deal last April.

Now, the building's upper reaches are taking shape at a time of resurgence for Calgary, which has profited from a new wave of development in the oil sands, driven by sustained strength in crude prices.

As some of the final beams are lifted into place, Mr. Gillis glances across the skyline – or, more properly, down on it, from the lofty heights of what will soon be the new headquarters of Encana Corp. and Cenovus Energy Corp. Several blocks away, crews have pushed another huge new tower, the million-square-foot Eighth Avenue Place, high into the sky. It, too, is a construction monument in a city that is nearing completion on two new landmarks.

But Mr. Gillis scoffs at that tower, too.

“Piece of cake over there. This,” he says, casting a glance around the complicated work of erecting the Bow's curving structure 58 storeys into the sky, “is real construction.”

The Bow contains 45,000 tonnes of steel connected with 45 tonnes of welding and 800,000 structural bolts, some of them so big they barely fit in a man's hand. It has 40 elevators and is so tall workers talk about the different climate at its summit. From the ground, its enormous walls of glass – which span an area the size of 14 CFL fields – swallow the sky.

For its builders, all of those attributes have combined to make the Bow Canada's most prominent billboard – a building that remains on budget, although it may be completed slightly later than expected. It's a feather in the cap that Ledcor's most ardent competitors have acknowledged.

“I would call the Bow a signature building in Calgary,” said Roger Dootson, the vice-president and district manager for PCL Construction Management Inc., who also chairs the Alberta Construction Association. “And signature and iconic buildings do help out a company's résumé for future projects.”

Ledcor has a long history in Alberta. Founded in 1947, it has grown into one of Canada's largest construction companies, with $2-billion a year in revenue. But in Calgary, the Bow has been a coming-out party of sorts for Ledcor, whose efforts in Western Canada have focused largely on the less-glitzy work of building pipelines and oil sands projects. For Ledcor, the Bow has become something of a marketing exercise for its bread-and-butter business of putting together industrial structures.

Standing on top of the Bow, the reason is obvious. In its shadow stand the head offices of much of corporate Calgary.

Ledcor has toured all of its major corporate clients through the construction site, in hopes of creating a profitable halo effect from the building. “It's expertise. They can see that we're not just a one-line company,” said Bob Scott, the Ledcor senior project director who has led the Bow project.

And there is little denying the scale of the construction effort. Because it was building in the middle of an urban environment, Ledcor had little spare space to work with – and has had to warehouse most of its construction materials at a large offsite yard.

Another unique aspect: To save time and costs, each of the restrooms in the building was built in Ontario as a fully-finished, fully-furnished unit inside a container. Each container was then shipped, lifted into place and connected to plumbing, ready for use. Even the light bulbs were screwed in several thousand kilometres away.

Ledcor also had to contend with hiring up to 1,250 staff – the Bow's peak labour requirement – in a province that was, when construction began, suffering from an overheated economy. But it got lucky: The downturn came just as construction ramped up. Suddenly, workers from Fort McMurray became available.

That doesn't mean the Bow has been Ledcor's most profitable endeavour. “These big trophy assets are difficult, and at the end you say, ‘I could have made more money building 10 smaller towers,' ” said Greg Kwong, regional managing director for CB Richard Ellis in Calgary. “But at the same time, you need these big trophy assets as far as stars on your chest are concerned, to help promote your company.”

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM   #419
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Then move.

Anyway, the Bow is turning out really nice. When it was first proposed I wasn't all that impressed with it but now it's starting to look really amazing!
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM   #420
HipHopCanada
MicrophoneFiend

Likes (Received): 10

Any updates ... ?
HipHopCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary