daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of this building?
Love it! Superb design, perfect height and location. 210 28.73%
Like it. Good design, and the height seems reasonable for this location. 259 35.43%
Good design, but it needs to be taller. 136 18.60%
Good design, but it needs to be shorter. 24 3.28%
Hate it! Awful design, unsuitable height and location. 102 13.95%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #41
gleegie
Urban Realm

Likes (Received): 0

The planners decision is regrettable, the original was one of the best designs I've seen from London.
gleegie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #42
london lad

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG View Post
I would like to see some pictures of what it looks like from pretty much each of the bridges, parks etc.
If you went to the public consultation you would have seen many many different viewpoints & mock ups- Those ones I posted are from the guys that must have done the renderings website.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #43
london lad

Quote:

On the last render you have posted, I love how these multi-colour curtains shine through. The only thing missing is balconies where people can hang out their clothes to dry.
Look I know you dont like this building but do you honestly think when/If this tower will be built that it will really have multi coloured panels/curtains coverig the whole window. I agree the mutli coloured mock ups look slightly Kitsch & god knows what the architects/devolpers were thinking when they got the rednering guys to add the colour.

As has been mentioned by others this will have a double skinned glazing & in reality will look more like the other two renders with more conventional lightling & darker glass as with most tall residential towers the world other with floor to glass ceilings. You wont be getting the washing lady hanging out her washing as A) Its going to be a 6* hotel & B) the remaining apartments will be some of the most expensive apartments in London & the last time I looked multi-millionaires dont hang out there smalls on their prized high rise pads.
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #44
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Look I know you dont like this building but do you honestly think when/If this tower will be built that it will really have multi coloured panels/curtains coverig the whole window. I agree the mutli coloured mock ups look slightly Kitsch & god knows what the architects/devolpers were thinking when they got the rednering guys to add the colour.

As has been mentioned by others this will have a double skinned glazing & in reality will look more like the other two renders with more conventional lightling & darker glass as with most tall residential towers the world other with floor to glass ceilings. You wont be getting the washing lady hanging out her washing as A) Its going to be a 6* hotel & B) the remaining apartments will be some of the most expensive apartments in London & the last time I looked multi-millionaires dont hang out there smalls on their prized high rise pads.
Just kidding. Well and of course I do not like this building, I hate it. But I do like the curtains. The fact is we ahve seen barely any rendering sof this building. that is not a good sign.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #45
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
If you went to the public consultation you would have seen many many different viewpoints & mock ups- Those ones I posted are from the guys that must have done the renderings website.
Totally agree, I was undecided about Beetham before I went to the presentation and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.

Fair enough they're meant to be a sales pitch to interested stakeholders but seeing a large amount of renderings from various angles and models gave me a lot more confidence in the scheme.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #46
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
The fact is we ahve seen barely any rendering sof this building. that is not a good sign.
See my post above. There was a public exhibition, it was widely publicised on these forums. If you chose not to go then fine, but don't carp on about renders not being released, there were loads at the exhibition.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #47
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
See my post above. There was a public exhibition, it was widely publicised on these forums. If you chose not to go then fine, but don't carp on about renders not being released, there were loads at the exhibition.
Yes I should have gone there, true, but then is it so much asked from a development that will have a very material impact on the urban fabric of central London to make it a bit easier for all of us to form a judgement. Normally when the architects / developer are truely proud and certain of what they are doing, renders are available much more easily.
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #48
london lad

Quote:
Just kidding. Well and of course I do not like this building, I hate it. But I do like the curtains. The fact is we ahve seen barely any rendering sof this building. that is not a good sign.
Lets just agree to disagree then

One day we might even find a building we can both agree on -lol
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #49
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
Lets just agree to disagree then

One day we might even find a building we can both agree on -lol
Of course but I just fear that the skyscrapers that both of us like may not get built and those that I dislike may be built. On Beetham and 20FC, I truely hope you are right and I am wrong but you have not quite convinced me. Every time I see MoreLondon it really makes me feel sick and this project has made me look much more critically at any new large-scale developments. Before MoreLondon I would not have been so worried about 20FC and Beetham. Also, I try to think about how buildings will age and what they will look like in 20 years' time. These are really my worries and they are well intended. There are enough NIMBIES without me becoming one.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM   #50
Ntn_Rawlings

AARRGH Please for the love of god build the big one or not at all, why couldent the refinements to the tower addressed the real problems, rather than just removing the 'wow' factor off the top.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #51
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 37

Well I like it still but I much prefered the old version.
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM   #52
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5507

Previously unseen rendering, from the south. I think this might be the older design though -

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:31 PM   #53
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

stunning
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM   #54
KK
Oh Eindhoven is wonderful

Wow, looks very good, very modern design. Wil definetly upgrade your skyline even further
KK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM   #55
James Hatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
stunning
Maybe ... but IMO the effect is somewhat diminished if you factor in the GPE and Land Securities towers into that view as well.
James Hatts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM   #56
ought

Not keen on this design, but that is irrelevant. There is no way anything of anywhere near that height should be built there.

Fingers crossed it is thrown out altogether.
ought no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #57
Cranesetc

Likes (Received): 9

Today (9th Nov) there is a large piling rig and a handling crane on site. It may be just an advance works test pile, can't tell yet.

Anyway money is being spent.........

http://www.cranesetc.co.uk
Cranesetc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #58
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranesetc View Post
Today (9th Nov) there is a large piling rig and a handling crane on site. It may be just an advance works test pile, can't tell yet.

Anyway money is being spent.........

http://www.cranesetc.co.uk
The presentation team said construction wasn't expect to start till end 2007 / 2008. The current application is for outline planning permission only, the full submission is still required and will take months to approve. Beetham may have an incling of the Council's reception, but can't imagine that this is anything tangible just yet. Completion is set for 2012, and opening the hotel in time for Olympics. I'm sure if a contractor has been appointed, we would have heard about it in Construction News or Property Week.

A piling rig is at least some sort of positive sign though. Thanks.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #59
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Beetham have submitted planning application.

From Beetham

"Planning has been submitted to Southwark Council for a 52-storey glass tower that will combine 64 super luxury residences, a 261 bedroom super luxury hotel operated by Jumeirah, together with a public viewing gallery at the top of the building. The 64 spectacular residences are situated on the top floors of the building offering spectacular views of London.

Completion of this development is planned for 2011 in time for the London 2012 Games
."

The new design:

Last edited by jef; November 24th, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #60
scraper

Likes (Received): 3

Big fan of this tower, i prefered the taller design, but I still think this looks great.
scraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hotel, jumeirah, road, skyscraper, southwark, tower

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: