daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #21
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 76

I don't think that a glass building would be right for that location.

Sponsored Links

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #22
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 1

I think that wharever stands directly opposite the Town Hall and Museum needs to be of high quality (or at least the facades do) but a glass building on Paradice Circus standing well back from Chamberlain Square wouldn't be a problem, Bio?
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #23
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 76

I would happily see one where the GOWM is (opposite the College of Food on that corner) but I think we need to see something that is a bit more solid - all the architecture around there is solid-looking. Even Alpha Tower has a bit of bit.

I don't mind if it is stone-and-glass, and if the ratio of glass to stone/concrete/reconstituted stone were to increase as a tower rises I would be content, but at street level and for the first few storeys it should have more of a presence IMO. Something like 50:50 on the lower storeys, then 51:49 on the next, 52:48 the next, 53:47 the next, all the way up to 80:20 or something?

I would also want the tall buildings to be stepped back & positioned away from the Town Hall. Ideally, you should be able to see the Town Hall from Centenary Square

Oh, and they should close the underpass below the library too....

Last edited by Biosonic; October 20th, 2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #24
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Oh, and they should close the underpass below the library too....
I got the impression that this was already a definite plan for Paradise Circus - though I can't remember where I heard it from.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #25
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 49

Do you mean the Deep level tunnel from Gt Charles St to Suffolk St or the surface level underpass (part of the roundabout).. that definitly needs remodeling but the deep level road tunnel needs to stay.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #26
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Yep, the near side of the Paradice Circus itself, not the deep tunnel.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #27
Garcha
S1NGH

Likes (Received): 0

This thread is being revived just to see if anyone has any additional information about a key area of the city.

A focal point for tourists, a through-way for many commuters and the link between the retail district and the entertainment district.

Because the area it is located in is very near to the Conservation area it needs due care and attention when it comes to planning. Can I just ask... Do we have any Councillors, Planners, Architects etc who actually contribute to these messageboards? Do people in positions of influence actually take notice of what is written on here?
Garcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #28
FLD

What do you suppose, Garcha?!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #29
Garcha
S1NGH

I think the Library and the hall with McDonalds and JD Wetherspoons needs to go. A reclad might not be enough because of the internal structure of the building, which has led to the Library becoming a confusing, dark, gloomy, smelly and uninspiring place. Not somewhere you go to learn or to educate people.

The hall isn't too bad, but if the entire area was flattened, the developer could aim to make Summer Row more accessible (lots of Commuters need to walk down and through that horrid subway and past the people sleeping outside Ladbrokes) as well as pave the way for a better planned, well landscaped purpose-built Library building so people can walk around it, rather than through it as they admire the architecture and enjoy the nearby amenities (some Cafe's and Restaurants maybe?). A glass building might actually suit the area it is in, but depending on the financial clout of the client (if Council then probably not anything special), they could go for something grand, high-rise and solidly built to complement the grand civic buildings around that area ... somehow I dont think the planners have the Balls to do something like that.
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #30
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcha View Post
...well landscaped purpose-built Library building so people can walk around it, rather than through it as they admire the architecture...
Hear, hear! I hope they can at least do this for the long suffering people of Birmingham, and considering what they shifted to put this in it's place!
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #31
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

If Garcha ever went up against Mike Whitby to run Birmingham, I know who I'll be voting for!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #32
Garcha
S1NGH

Haha I don't know who Mike Whitby is (will research). But I'm sure he's probably just a typical figure in the politics game... where its more a case of Older guys who know how to play "the game" and probably just want to be re-elected, so make lots of promises, raise expectations, and make political issues sound rosey enough for the easily impressionable to vote for him/her. Sometimes Chinese capitalist-communism doesn't seem so Bad....
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #33
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 785

He's the leader of the council.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #34
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

IMO.. for what it worth, the library itself was built in th ewrong place, AND as someone said the crap around it doesn't help.. paradise forum is an obstacle which divides the city centre in two.. rather than spend millions of pounds on a new library.. simply move the existing one into the redeveloped Baskerville House so as to open up this beautiful building to the public and not just another offices, then demolish paradise forum and sell the land to a developer for a brindley place style development (do we really need a skyscraper here?) with one of the buildings being in the style of the original library.. but whatever happens this needs to be of the highest quality of anywhere in the country.. iconic maybe but just outstanding design with excellent longevity unlike the grey concrete box thats there now... the funds from selling this land could go into securing something better for new street.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #35
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1429

Baskville House is unsuitable and was not rebuilt to make it suitable, so that's dead in the water, Maybe that Car park next to it is a good place for it afterall, seems a bit small though..
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #36
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Yeh. Baskerville House was considered but surveys of the building showed it would not be able to support the weight of the books and a redevelopment would not help the building as a library. It's a real shame because the library could have been in the Civic Centre.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old December 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #37
Garcha
S1NGH

The Library would look great opposite the ICC where the two/three council blocks are right now. With a terrace frontage onto the Canals. A symbol of the city's Heritage, but a building that represents the direction it is moving in. Driving to the Library would be easier, and would complement the Baskerville House development. If a new square was developed it would provide more attractive access to Summer Row (Mechu/Apres etc) as well as better pedestrian access to the start of Jewellry Quarter - by where HFC/Barclays Collection Centres are.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #38
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

If you mean Adrian Boult Hall, that will be moved. UCE Conservatoire are looking at the site once intended for the new library in the Eastside and it seems talks are coming along nicely!

Old December 16th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #39
Garcha
S1NGH

Just to make things clear from the above message....In order to provide more attractive access to Summer Row, the UCE development would need to be moved.

The building should complement the Baskerville House development if it continues the use of a smaller Square placed in location where the land surrounding the Housing Estate is. With a slope being taken into consideration, the libary would need to be "heavier" towards the road opposite the ICC by the mini-roundabout and "lighter" as it sloped down toward the Canal.
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #40
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcha View Post
The Library would look great opposite the ICC where the two/three council blocks are right now. With a terrace frontage onto the Canals. A symbol of the city's Heritage, but a building that represents the direction it is moving in. Driving to the Library would be easier, and would complement the Baskerville House development. If a new square was developed it would provide more attractive access to Summer Row (Mechu/Apres etc) as well as better pedestrian access to the start of Jewellry Quarter - by where HFC/Barclays Collection Centres are.
Now you mention it, that would have made a great place for it, shame they've just done up those Tower Blocks at the back of the Flapper and Firkin init?
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote