daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM   #981
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 19

why? because i post about wanting tall buildings on skyscrapercity.com? all im saying is theres nothing wrong with improving our skyline.

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM   #982
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 87

From Construction Enquirer:

Green light for £450m Paradise Circus in Birmingham

Developer Argent has gained planning for its ambitious project to transform Birmingham’s Paradise Circus.

The £450m scheme involves demolishing the old Central Library and constructing 10 new buildings around a series of new squares and streets in the heart of the city.

At 1.8m sq ft it is one of the UK’s largest city centre planning applications submitted this year.

Paradise Circus is the first scheme to come forward within Birmingham’s new Enterprise Zone, which will get £60m for infrastructure in the area.

Argent will now submit detailed planning for the first phase in late 2013/early 2014.

The redevelopment proposal is based on the Birmingham Conservatoire moving a short distance to Louisa Ryland House on Edmund Street, with a new minimum 450 seat concert hall to replace the existing Adrian Boult Hall being created.

The redevelopment of Paradise Circus will create a series of new linked pedestrian streets and squares and provide a traffic free setting for the Grade I Listed Town Hall.

Argent’s Senior Project Director Rob Groves said: “The redevelopment of Paradise Circus has the potential to make the most significant impact on the city centre for a generation.

“The site’s combined qualities of its central location and historic landmarks creates an unrivalled opportunity to create a sustainable, first class environment that will transform this key part of Birmingham city centre.”
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM   #983
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 87

And Business Desk:

Council backs Paradise Circus redevelopment

COUNCILLORS have backed plans for the dramatic transformation of Birmingham’s Paradise Circus.

The £450m scheme is set to become a reality after the application submitted by developer, Argent, gained outline approval from Birmingham City Council’s planning committee today.

Around 17 acres of land between Centenary Square and Chamberlain Square will be developed to provide up to 12,000 jobs in a mixed use redevelopment including offices, shops, leisure and cultural facilities together with civic amenities and a new four star hotel to replace the existing Copthorne Hotel.

In total, the development will comprise a gross internal area of 1.8 million sq ft in 10 new buildings, making it one of the UK’s largest city centre planning applications approved this year.

Leading the Paradise Circus team is Argent’s Senior Project Director Rob Groves, who said: “The redevelopment of Paradise Circus has the potential to make the most significant impact on the city centre for a generation. The site’s combined qualities of its central location and historic landmarks creates an unrivalled opportunity to create a sustainable, first class environment that will transform this key part of Birmingham city centre.

“Receiving the unanimous support of the City’s Planning Committee is a fantastic start to the scheme and a reflection of the significant commitment made by the whole Paradise team to deliver this complex application. We believe that we are now in a position to build on this momentum and will continue to move forward with the detailed design process to bring the development to life.”

Paradise Circus is the first development to progress within Birmingham’s new city centre Enterprise Zone with approval for an investment of more than £60m into the required infrastructure changes to support the initial launch of the development. The subsequent regeneration could pave the way for thousands of new jobs.
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #984
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

This development is incredibly exciting especially with the metro extension to centenary. It's the next biggy after the library and station.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:47 PM   #985
sefton66

Likes (Received): 409

are these the more detailed images that were removed?

http://www.paradisecircus.co.uk/news/
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #986
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 24

nope.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #987
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

[quote]
Birmingham Central Library to make way for Paradise Circus development

Prince Charles once referred to Birmingham's Central Library as looking like "a place where books are incinerated, not kept".

Now, 40 years after it was built, it is set to be demolished after the city council approved plans to redevelop the site as part of the Paradise Circus scheme, which is estimated to cost about £450m.

About 17 acres of land between Centenary Square and Chamberlain Square will be developed to include offices, shops, leisure and cultural facilities, civic amenities and a hotel.

http://goo.gl/MnhCf
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #988
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #989
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 185

Im liking this development.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #990
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 91

Me to, looks fantastic. Good quality development and really fits in perfectly with the area. Cant wait to see more.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #991
sefton66

Likes (Received): 409

I'm really hoping the hotel plot design is based on the actual final design, would be great to have another rooftop restaurant/sky bar in the city, even better if it has a rooftop terrace
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #992
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 213

Even though I've suggested before that the columns immediately opposite the Town Hall should be circular as a nod to the style, the huge amount of vertical columns that abound throughout most of these new buildings is a great touch and will do for me.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #993
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post

Crap. Nothing iconic in this design. Welcome to Anywhereville.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #994
brum2003

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post

Crap. Nothing iconic in this design. Welcome to Anywhereville.
Isn't this the outline planning permission images, this looks like the work of one architect, not several as suggested will happen in previous posts. I'm sure there will be detailed images of each building when designed.
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #995
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 165

The massing is what is awful, even if the buildings are well designed. It's a just a bunch of flat boxes stacked up higher on the edges which makes Chamberlain Square look even smaller than it feels now, and the line of sight from entering Chamberlain Square from Victorian square to Centenary Square is no better than it is now!

Flickr

Pinterest

Last edited by i_like_concrete; January 8th, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #996
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 29

I'm torn between two camps here, I'm not sure we need iconic in this development, Brum doesn't have a brilliant track record for iconic but an even worse one for standard buildings which make up the overall fabric and feel of the city, this does look to be a large scale quality development.

However, I agree with the massing, what I think would improve this immensely, but which will never happen sadly, is to remove the two central buildings, and replace with a nicely designed mini park to completely open up the two squares. Then increase the height of the buildings on the far side towards JQ to compensate for the loss of central space. It would make all the difference here, and it does really seem to be packing way too much into one small space. You do start to somehow look at the existing library and wonder if something could be done now.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #997
vanson

Likes (Received): 3

I think the whole thing has got a wow factor about it.You don,t need 500ft skyscrapers or iron monstrositys to creat a good wow factor.I think it is good sensible planning and a proper civic centre for Birmingham.
vanson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #998
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 165

Except there is nothing civic about it? It's a private office development.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #999
djay
Just Incredible

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1000
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post
Hence the fundamental problem here with regard to massing. I'd have preferred to see a compromise. An opportunity for a dense bit of greenery right in the heart of the city centre could never be greater and I think it would have created a perfect balance and create far better intergration between the two public squares and add to the back drop of the Town Hall and Chamberlain Fountain.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote