daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old November 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #41
Veinticinco
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 61

I bet you stand up to far in the bath now eh? Quality sketches the scousers.
Veinticinco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #42
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 699

Did anyone see last saturdays guide in the Guardian.

In the pick of teh week section in music, arts AND theatre, the top entry for the UK was in Liverpool (Liverpool Music week, Biennial and The Way Home at teh Everyman).

In particular Liverpool Music Week was quoted as being a "fantastic" event of which "Liverpool should be justifiably proud".

Ive been to a few nights too and it has been amazing. This event has been really supported by CoC funding, amongst others. If CoC should helps with anything, its this kind of event.

Loads of new bands mixing it up with those from across the globe.

Fantastic.

Ive a good feling about CoC this week. Bizarre.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #43
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1860

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Did anyone see last saturdays guide in the Guardian.

In the pick of teh week section in music, arts AND theatre, the top entry for the UK was in Liverpool (Liverpool Music week, Biennial and The Way Home at teh Everyman).

In particular Liverpool Music Week was quoted as being a "fantastic" event of which "Liverpool should be justifiably proud".

Ive been to a few nights too and it has been amazing. This event has been really supported by CoC funding, amongst others. If CoC should helps with anything, its this kind of event.

Loads of new bands mixing it up with those from across the globe.

Fantastic.

Ive a good feling about CoC this week. Bizarre.
Liverpool music week is expected to grow 30% year on year leading up to CoC so I can see this eventually becoming a major event,I suppose it already is in its present form but it's going to be massive IMO.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #44
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
There has just been a discussion about this show on the radio. Someone asked why it couldn't be brought to Liverpool. The interviewee responded that it was too expensive to stage in this country.

Oi, Paul/Ringo/yoko - 2008? Yeh?

Ta

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque.../redirect/love
Love unveils new angle on Beatles

The Martins said their first concern was to do justice to the Beatles
There was more than a twinkle of emotion in George Martin's eye when he was asked what John and George would have thought of Love, the new album of reworked Beatles' songs.

"I think they would have liked it," he said. "To be honest, I believe they were there with us as we worked on it,"

And whether the idea of newly mixed version of the Fab Four appeals or appals, there is no arguing about the - well, love - that has gone into it.

The legendary producer was speaking at the album's launch in Abbey Road's Studio 2, where he helped to craft many of the Beatles most iconic tracks.

When approached, three years ago, to create a soundtrack to a Beatles-themed show by Cirque Du Soleil, Martin enlisted help from his producer son, Giles.

It was an honour to be able to work with the Beatles in this way

Martin, 80, said: "The condition was that we could use any sound we liked that had been recorded by the Beatles.

"This gave us an enormous palette to work with while keeping us disciplined in not doing anything unsuitable to the rightly treasured Beatles songs." The project was backed from the beginning by the surviving members of the band as well as widows Olivia Harrison and Yoko Ono.

Giles, 37, said: "It was an honour to be able to work with the Beatles in this way but it was especially good that Paul, Ringo, Olivia and Yoko were so enthusiastic.

"They would keep encouraging us to go further, try something new and, as Yoko said, if we did something they didn't like, no one was going to hear it."

The Beatles constantly reinvented their sound and image
The result is a "soundscape" of familiar Beatles' songs. Some, like Help!, are used in almost their original form, whereas others have been ambitiously remixed.

The keyboard of Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite dissolves into the plodding guitar of I Want You (She's So Heavy).

Strawberry Fields Forever builds from Lennon's acoustic demo into a psychedelic swirl of sounds that incorporates bits of Hello Goodbye, Baby You're a Rich Man, Penny Lane and Piggies.

Only one track broke the rule on using no new music. An early recording of While My Guitar Gently Weeps was preferred but Olivia Harrison felt it was too "raw".

I never thought I would get this deeply involved with the Beatles again

George Martin
To bridge the impasse, Martin scored a new orchestral backing.

All about love

"It was strange, writing this for an old friend who was no longer with us," said George Martin.

"Yesterday was first score I ever wrote for a Beatle song way back in 1965 and this, 41 years later, is the last. They bookend an extraordinary time."

He acknowledged that some fans might be alarmed at the idea of "playing with perfection".

"But if you worried about what might upset some of the fans, you would never do anything and we have simply done what we thought was right.

"I never thought I would get this deeply involved with the Beatles again. It's been a real journey but we were doing something worthwhile.

"We were trying to create a feeling of what the Beatles were all about, and what they were all about was love."

Love will be released on 20 November.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #45
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Likes (Received): 0

Another Guardian piece on Liverpool

The Beatles to James Bulger: Liverpool at its best - and worst

Merseyside split over £65m project that has enraged murdered toddler's mother

David Ward
Monday November 27, 2006
The Guardian

The aim is certainly ambitious: to create a museum, unlike any other in the world, to celebrate the rich heritage of Liverpool. From prehistory to its days as a hub of the British empire, to the Beatles and Alan Bleasdale.
But the £65m project to capture the city's "creativity, its wit, its imagination, its sheer contrariness" is already dividing opinion in Merseyside. There has been rather more of the latter than the former, particularly over the decision to ensure that the museum reflects its tragedies as well as its triumphs. The mother of James Bulger, the toddler who was killed 13 years ago, was incandescent when told her son's murder might feature in the Museum of Liverpool. There are concerns over its design too.

Work begins within weeks on the £65m X-shaped building, clad in the same travertine marble that the Romans used on the Coliseum. It is due to open in 2010, two years after the city's big year as capital of culture in 2008.
It will tell of geology, prehistory, contemporay culture and football, explaining how an obscure tidal pool grew into one of the world's great ports. Visitors will see Roman sandals, the first Ford Anglia built at the old Halewood works, one of the world's oldest locomotives, a selection of chamber pots, and John and Yoko's All You Need Is Love bedspread from their Montreal bed-in for peace. "We will look closely at the people of Liverpool," said David Fleming, director of National Museums Liverpool, at a dinner to launch the project. "We will be the biographer of the dark passages, the poverty, James Bulger, Anthony Walker, Hillsborough." Phil Hammond, of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said he had no objections. "They have discussed this with us and we are quite happy to go along with it."

But it seems Denise Fergus, mother of James Bulger, who was murdered by two 10-year-old boys in 1993, was not consulted and learned that the story of her son's death could be told in the galleries only when she read a newspaper report. "I am boiling with rage," she said. "What kind of callous people would think of doing this in the name of art and culture? They must be mad if they think I am going to stand by and watch them do this to the memory of my precious son."

Ms Fergus added that she would take legal action to prevent pictures of James being used in the museum. David Fleming, director of National Museums Merseyside, has now written to Ms Fergus to apologise but claims his vision for the museum had been distorted.

"Contrary to reports, we have never said that there will be an exhibition, temporary or permanent, about the James Bulger tragedy," said Dr Fleming. "We had no intention to cause any distress to James Bulger's family and I deeply regret that this has been grossly misrepresented to them and the public.

"The Museum of Liverpool will chart the many stories that make up the history of the city's people in a serious and factual way. Its purpose is educational, and the museum will strive to achieve a balance which reflects the reality of city life." He had earlier said that the museum could not be just "a celebration of unending success".

"All cities have high crime rates, unemployment rates, poverty, and these factors vary at different times. Take the Victorian era, when the British Empire was phenomenally rich and arguably cities such as Liverpool were the richest in the world. But at that time you also had children dying in droves in wet cellars. You can study cities as examples of human life rather than as an endless progression of significance."

Through the darker stories, the museum would consider racism, errant children and football ground safety. "We are looking at the big themes to explore how something like those events could happen," added Dr Fleming. "Our telling of history will dig down into the nature of a city like Liverpool. We will explain the Beatles in the same way. It wasn't an accident that they came together in Liverpool."

The building, designed by Danish architects 3XN, will stand close to the Three Graces, the three stately buildings that dominate the Pier Head, and replaces architect Will Alsop's glazed globe dubbed The Cloud, a proposed fourth grace scrapped as costs soared.

Wayne Colquhoun, of the Liverpool Preservation Trust, hated The Cloud and has already denounced its replacement as a "trashy tart" unworthy of its place on a Unesco world heritage site.

But Dr Fleming has condemned Mr Colquhoun and describes the building, as the city's first 21st century masterpiece. About £20m has still to be raised to meet the full costs of the project: the Heritage Lottery Fund has turned down an application for £11.4m towards the cost of fitting out the building and will announce its decision on a revised application in January.

Dr Fleming remains upbeat. "We are launching a project which will change Liverpool for ever, a project every bit as significant as the building of St George's Hall [Liverpool's huge civic temple] or the Anglican cathedral - the biggest purpose-built English national museum for almost a century," he said.

A city personified?

The possible subjects

Bill Shankly Manager of Liverpool FC 1959-74. A legend, with gates at Anfield named in his honour.

Adolf Hitler The Nazi leader is said to have stayed with his half-brother and his Irish wife Bridget at their home in Upper Stanhope street in Toxteth for a few months just before the first world war.

David Sheppard cricketer and Bishop of Liverpool from 1975 to 1997. Supported the inner cities and defied Margaret Thatcher.

Cilla Black Cavern Club cloakroom attendant who went on to top the charts and become the nation's favourite matchmaker with her epic stint as host of Blind Date.

Jack the Ripper Liverpool cotton merchant James Maybrick, whose wife was convicted of murdering him in 1889, may have been east London's notorious serial killer. His diary, which turned up in 1992 and makes the claim, is now thought to be a hoax.

William Roscoe (1753-1831) Liverpool historian, writer and benefactor. Denounced the slave trade in his home city, whose prosperity had been fuelled by it.

The Beatles need you ask?

The impossible subjects

Boris Johnson wrote in the Spectator that Liverpool wallowed in its victim status. Forced to go on a grovellingly apologetic tour of the city. Would only make the museum in sackcloth and ashes.

The Diddy Men Ken Dodd is assured of his place in a glass case but his tattyfilarious diminutive sidekicks would be best left out in the cold.

Derek Hatton former deputy leader of Liverpool city council, now radio presenter. Degsy embarrassed the city and enraged Neil Kinnock.
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #46
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quelle surprise. David Ward somehow managing to turn the plans for what looks like to be a superb museum into a negative Liverpool story. Listen David, we know you're silly little Manchester-based bigot who is obsessed with the superiority of a underwhelming milltown and hate Liverpool. Now piss off.

It's actually to Liverpool's credit that its city museum is not to be a whitewash of purely celebratory exhibits. Many cities' would be. I can't think of many cities who devote an entire museum to the most shameful aspect of their histories, as Liverpool will with the new Slave Museum or does with the existing slavery floor on the Maritime Museum. Bristol, for example, at one time a more important slave port than Liverpool, has a museum *celebrating* the British Empire.

I do wish that Denise Fergus, poor women, would stop letting herself down, however. She gives wankers like Ward just the sort of material he needs.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #47
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Milltown mentality - what's it like? There's another piece in today's Guardian about the deaths in the World museum written by Riazat Butt. I was tempted to post it just to highlight the fab name but restrained the adolescent in me. These two pieces together though work quite well in terms of creating a sense of a city with a World Museum (the cheek of it) and a museum dedicated to itself (full on narcissism or what?). It might just be a positive reframe on my part but juxtapositioned in this way, it's making me feel NYC.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #48
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 57

I have to agree the guardian is now becoming synonimous with such tardy trash!

just ignore it... i do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Quelle surprise. David Ward somehow managing to turn the plans for what looks like to be a superb museum into a negative Liverpool story. Listen David, we know you're silly little Manchester-based bigot who is obsessed with the superiority of a underwhelming milltown and hate Liverpool. Now piss off.

It's actually to Liverpool's credit that its city museum is not to be a whitewash of purely celebratory exhibits. Many cities' would be. I can't think of many cities who devote an entire museum to the most shameful aspect of their histories, as Liverpool will with the new Slave Museum or does with the existing slavery floor on the Maritime Museum. Bristol, for example, at one time a more important slave port than Liverpool, has a museum *celebrating* the British Empire.

I do wish that Denise Fergus, poor women, would stop letting herself down, however. She gives wankers like Ward just the sort of material he needs.

www.justgiving.com/trevorcaplisnyc08
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #49
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

David Ward, in particular, is on a campaign to stick the knife into Liverpool in any story that he can.

I've seen the printed (southern!) edition and Ward's knocking piece about is the lead national news article - a full page in colour. In the past, he has managed to secure full page anti-Liverpool stories over the capital of culture, council shenanigans and Gormley's statues.

It's weird really. He's based in Manchester (and obviously has been given some kind of "North West" beat - and we know how well those sorts of media arrangements work for Liverpool). We get the message, he hates Liverpool, whilst bigging up Manchester whenever he can (check out the "why Manchester is brilliant" podcast on the Guardian's website - I'm not kidding).

However, I barely see an article from the tosser about Manchester. He seems obsessed about Liverpool. Time and again, whenever, a story can be twisted to reflect badly on the place he pops up in Liverpool and then either he punts his story so that, or the new editor makes a decision that, it becomes the newspaper's biggest news story of the day.

Why not full page dissections of Manchester's atmospheric crime rates, for example, rather than making snide and bizarre comments in articles about Liverpool art festivals about crime for no logical reason?

For someone who doesn't appear to like the place, the weird ****** is obsessed with Liverpool. What is this guy's problem?
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #50
UrbaniseD

I don't think the article is too negative about Liverpool. He also mentions numerous things that make the museum sound appealing - the Beatles, William Roscoe, the first Ford Anglia, Lennon memorabilia, an old steam engine, a fascinating historic saga!

His ignorrance does betray him though. Surely the museum will include the story of William Gladstone, the longest serving PM in British history?

I think the bit in Ms Bulger was perhaps over done but that is journalism for you. They always want to make some drama out of nothing.

Yes, the article was negaitve. But there were also positive aspects too.
UrbaniseD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #51
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

The sidebar on notable Liverpool characters (possibly an anonymous hack's work, rather than Ward's) and the subeditor's choice of subheading are worse than the main article.

For example, the Spectator's anti-Liverpool editorial published in the wake of Kenneth Bigley's murder was written by chubby, ginger, Southend, kiddie-fiddler lookalike Simon Heffer, not the magazine's editor, Johnson. To be fair, if you've ever read Johnson's columns in The Telegraph, Heffer's piece was not really his style.

And yes, Derek Hatton will appear in the new museum. The loopy political shenagans of the mid-eighties is one of the most dramatic periods in Liverpool's C20th history - of course it will be covered.

But yes, Urbs, the article doesn't deserve line-by-line textual analysis and rebuttal.
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #52
Damon

Likes (Received): 95

I think - though my memory may be letting me down - that past Guardian bits and pieces have revealed David Ward to be from Newcastle. It seems that the capital of culture win still rankles with him.

Apologies if I've got him muddled up with someone else, but I've always believed his writing to be filtered through a mush of sour grapes that dates back to June 2003.
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #53
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Hm, not sure Damon. He doesn't sound much like a Geordie when interviewed.

His profile's below. He sound like a sneery tosser when you hear him. Terrible to note that he gives his special subject as regional arts whilst continually denigrating Liverpool - which of course excels in that area, however else the city might be lacking. Liverpool's artistic excellence is getting to him for some reason. The very fact it exists, I suppose.

Name
David Ward
Title
Northern Correspondent

Education
North London grammar school
University of London

Career
1993 - Northern correspondent
1987 - 1993 Northern education correspondent
1974 - 1987 Features sub editor

Broadcast Experience
Occasional radio work

Specialist Areas
Regional affairs, arts, especially music and theatre and regional arts policy
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #54
Damon

Likes (Received): 95

You're right Awayo - I've probably misread his stuff in the past and put two and two together. He was certainly very disappointed that Newcastle didn't get named capital of culture.
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #55
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

That always was a bit of a headscratcher. I like Newcastle and have always felt a lot closer to that city than any other in England certainly (there are other places on these isles that are more akin to Liverpool than it).

However, other than for some reason being a recent pet of the London media rather as Liverpool is their perennial bete noir also with no logically explicable explanation, why was Newcastle the favorite? Okay, so the city region had created two new and fairly significant arts projects in recent years, Gormley's Angel and the Sage, but viewed in context, Newcastle cultural infrastructure, not too mind previous contribution to the nation's and world's culture were puny compared with Birmingham's as well as Liverpool's.

Birmingham had more of a reason to be pee'd off than Newcastle when one considers the huge investment that city has put into its arts over decades, not just recently - with the Symphony Hall (and orchestra which is one of the world's best) and luring Sadlers Well (Liverpool has no ballet, for example). It is also a much more multi-cultural place than either Newcastle or Liverpool nowadays.

The bookies had Brum at third. David Ward and others are wrong to carry on thinking that Liverpool winning was massive surprise, that's just their prejudices showing. Liverpool was second favourite (the subtext is "how could it have on?") When a second favourite wins a race, it's no upset.

But Newcastle? Frankly what has Newcastle got that most of all of the UK's larger cities have from a cultural point of view, not too mind the cities that postively excel in some areas (Leeds for its Playhouse, Liverpool for its art collections, Manchester for theatre and music)? And the contribution that Newcastle has made to the world in recent years in music, fashion or writing? I can't think of much, well certainly much less than I can that from Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, even Leeds.

Where's Newcastle's equivalent to the Bristol (another ECoc contendor) triphop scene, where's their Pulp, their Madchester, their superclubs, their Jeff Noon?

For reasons I cannot fathom, Newcastle wining the ECoC would have made a lot people in the media happy. Nevertheless it would have been a terribly unfair decision and not just to Liverpool.

Last edited by Awayo; November 27th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #56
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

They had massive success with Robson and Jerome in Soldier Soldier,that was huge at the time and happened to be written by Liverpudlian Lynda La Plante.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #57
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Ahh Robson and Jerome - that must have been it. Them, Ant and Dec and Hufty from the Word.

To make a semi-serious point, whenever a city has its time to be fashionable in the London media, opportunities then open up for any chancer with the right regional image to get a job in the media. Sometimes, this can have positive consequences, e.g., the Salopian John Peel getting his first breaks with a contrived Scouse accent when it was Liverpool's time to be trendy in the 60s. More often, however, the easiest opportunities exist for characters willing to exagerate their "regional" characteristics and play up to the basest of stereotypes.

Manchester was very fashionable in the start of the 90s, allowing a monkey like Terry Christian to end up presenting a major tv show with no experience. Newcastle had its turn later in the nineties - ladies and gentleman I bring your Hufty.

Liverpool probably had the first and biggest orgy of London media attention in the 60s - and is still dealing with its Tarby and Cilla hangover - but afterwards experienced a viscious backlash. Since then the media's searchlight has swung from London to somewhere else in the UK and back to London but never in Liverpool's direction again.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #58
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

analysis lite DP&E style

Sometimes it's easy to forget just how damaging the local media can be in terms of sustaining negative representations of Lpool. The DP, overall is better than the Echo but there's still a tendency towards the negative, especially when it comes to stories about violence in the city. I have highlighted relevant bits in bold that might have been spun to tell a more upbeat story.

Asbos are not stopping yobs
Nov 27 2006
By Luke Traynor,
Liverpool Echo

AN ANTI-SOCIAL behaviour order was breached every two days in Merseyside during the past six months. New figures released by police show many offenders are showing little regard for their zero-tolerance bans.

The statistics have revealed that 116 Asbos were broken by 71 offenders, over the past 180 days. Many orders have conditions attached barring offenders from areas and detailing what they can and cannot do.

Wards in north Liverpool are worst affected where 55 offenders breached their orders,with many flouting them repeatedly. One was caught breaching his Asbo 15 times and a further two louts disregarding them five times or more.

Chief Constable Bernard Hogan Howe said: "Those committing breaches are amongst the most prolific offenders within Merseyside. "It must be remembered that the vast majority have only breached their orders on one occasion.

"Inevitably offenders arrested for breach of an Asbo will also have other offences tied into that breachor maybe committing further offences." Police and other agencies are working to set up a new system to improve the way Asbo breaches are recorded. Information about the orders will be entered on a criminal database which can be accessed by police officers to check an offenders' banning conditions. The Home Office has recently issued fresh guidelines about the process of applying and monitoring Asbos.

Bill Morris, head of Liverpool Anti social behaviour unit (LASBU), said: "Asbos are issued to protect the public and successfully manage to stop people behaving in a disorderly manner. If they are breached, it becomes a criminal matter and an offender will be dealt with severely and can be sent to prison.
We are trying to support those who have Asbos so they adhere to their conditions. The orders do work and often it is the same person who continually breaches rather than a high number of individual breaches."

Breaches in past six months
Wirral - 15 Sefton - 15 Knowsley - 2 St Helens - 12 Liverpool North - 55 Liverpool South - 17 Total - 116

Numbers of offenders
Wirral - 13 Sefton - 14 Knowsley - 2 St Helens - 12 Liverpool North - 27 Liverpool South - 10 Total - 71
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #59
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

I can't believe that anyone seriously expects anything other than anti Liverpool bile from that **** of a paper!
Honestly!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #60
liverpolitan

I read the article and agree its disgraceful. It is city-stereotyping, the spatial equivalent of the Black and White Minstrel Show mentality the Guardian will, on other agendas, be so stridently opposed to.

Their coverage of Liverpool and Manchester respectively are instructive. They do not run "By 'eck it's rainin' again" stories about Manchester, or dwell on the violence and poverty that scars the city. They don't run stories about the Moors Murderers when covering Manchester. They big it up as a regeneration triumph and city of international importance.

It's one of the reasons I often don't buy that paper, it has an agenda that is parochial and pathetic and illiberal - knocking an English city simply because it's no longer acceptable to discriminate on other grounds. They have to get their bile out somehow.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
media