daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old December 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #101
Metrolink

Likes (Received): 0

Didn't they give it to the MCC as part of the deal of moving to Eastlands?
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #102
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman View Post
How much did they get for maine road?
The land was handed over to MCC for nothing.(part-ex) MCC also get a percentage of the gate receipts when the crowd is over 35000. Apparently that money goes towards council services and projects.

One more thing to note. If Citeh hadn't agreed to move to COMS and use the stadium after the Commonwealth Games, there wouldn't have been a Commonwealth Games in Manchester. (White elephant)
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #103
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

WTF is this discussion doing on a thread about Liverpool in the Media? Give me a break. Just read the other page to see where it arose. TONY SEBO! Oi Tony! This is a thread about representations of LIVERPOOL in the media not the media in Liverpool. Like writing this will make a difference. Oh well
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #104
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

· Frederick John Marsden, drummer and composer, born October 23 1940; died 9/12/06

OK, so it's now a thread about dead Liverpool people in the media! Check out the bit about Dingle, a Liverpool suburb.

Drumming elder brother at the heart of Merseybeat boom

Alan Clayson
Wednesday December 20, 2006
The Guardian

Unlike in the Beatles, there was a sharp distinction between front man and accompanists in Gerry and the Pacemakers, the other group at the helm of the 1963 Merseybeat pop craze. But behind Gerry's grinning vibrancy, his elder brother, Freddie Marsden, who has died aged 66, was solidly at the music's heart, ministering as a drummer with a strong tenor for vocal harmonies.

The Marsdens came from the Dingle, a Liverpool suburb that backed on to docklands. Freddie was named after his father, a railway clerk who played the ukulele; when his son expressed an interest in the drums, he made one from the skin of his instrument and a Quality Street sweet tin.

On leaving Francis Xavier grammar school, Freddie bought a full kit from his earnings as a candle maker. He and singing guitarist Gerry formed a skiffle group, the Mars Bars, which by 1959 had become Gerry and the Pacemakers, priding themselves on their GP-monogrammed blazers and their embrace of everything in the week's Top 20. Amassing a huge local following, they became a last-minute addition to the bill of a spectacular starring US rock'n'roller Gene Vincent - and all but stole the show with an emotive arrangement of You'll Never Walk Alone. In 1961, they began the first of several clubland seasons in Hamburg.

Their repertoire was now freighted with rhythm and blues, showbiz standards and, tellingly, originals such as Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying by the Marsden brothers. A punishing schedule of nightly performances transformed the group into a hard act to follow when they returned to less demanding tasks in Liverpool. If they and the Beatles occupied the top two positions in the first popularity poll by regional pop gazette Mersey Beat, competition dissolved into camaraderie - as exemplified when the Beatles attended Marsden's 21st birthday party, and the two groups combined as the Beatmakers one evening at Litherland town hall.

By late 1962, both were being managed by Brian Epstein, who, after launching the Beatles, persuaded their producer, George Martin, to go to a Gerry and the Pacemakers gig in Birkenhead. Impressed, Martin signed them to EMI, and their first release, How Do You Do It, topped the charts in April 1963. In similar bouncy vein, I Like It, did likewise.

While You'll Never Walk Alone completed the hat-trick, and 1964's I'm the One rose to number two, Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying stalled at number six. A belated attempted to halt further decline was Ferry Cross the Mersey, a film that concluded with the group miming to their first Top 20 miss, It's Gonna Be All Right, over the credits.

Before a last big UK hit with the movie's title theme, there had been a breakthrough in the United States in summer 1964 with Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying. Finally, Gerry's acceptance of a West End musical role sundered the group - though Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying was revived by Jose Feliciano, and, from the 1970s, Gerry relived past glories with a new Pacemakers.

This group did not, however, include Freddie, who had retired as a professional entertainer to run the Pacemakers driving school near his home in Southport, Lancashire. Attractive in his phlegmatic candour, he seemed content with his latter-day career while remaining quietly proud of his achievements during his years just beyond the main spotlight. He is survived by his wife Margaret, and a son and daughter.

Frederick John Marsden, drummer and composer, born October 23 1940; died December 9 2006

----------------------------

I would love to have been around then, going to gigs in Litherland Town Hall and New Brighton Pavillion/Ballroom (wherever, can't be bothered to Goog). I think in a previous life I lived in Litherland, it draws me to it in an odd way. It was a bit of a disappointment when I actually went but I decided it was the wrong Litherland so I'm still looking for the Litherland of my dreams
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #105
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 878

There's an old barbers (Ronnie's and Ritas?) in Litherland backing onto the canal where the walls are plastered with old photos of the area. It's like a walk-in archive. Pretty cheap too. Last time I went, it cost £3 to get a sort of Lee Mavers cut. Jaqueline's Pantry/Panties is good if its open too. load of old photies there as well.
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #106
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1772

Cathedral the setting for BBC Mass

CHRISTMAS Mass will be broadcast on TV from Liverpool's Metropolitan Cathedral this weekend.

The Cathedral will host a live televised broadcast of the First Mass of Christmas on BBC1 on Christmas Eve.

The congregation for the traditional celebration of Midnight Mass will need to be seated by 11pm.

The Archbishop of Liverpool, the Most Reverend Patrick Kelly, will be joined by the Cathedral clergy as the broadcast reaches out to more than one million viewers.

Archbishop Kelly said: "As we celebrate the First Mass of Christmas this year, Bethlehem as it is today and all of the Lord's own land is the focus of the active concern of our own Prime Minister and other world leaders.

"The choice to pray in the middle of the night is one way to pray with searching depth that the song the angels proclaim - 'Peace on earth' - may be realised in our day."

BBC executive producer, Hugh Faupel, said: "Liverpool's Metropolitan Cathedral with its combination of intimacy and grandeur is, quite simply, the best location in which to celebrate the Nativity of the Lord."
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM   #107
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Greatest ever MERSEYSIDER

From today's Guardian:

The comedian Ken Dodd is leading the race to be crowned The Greatest Ever Merseysider in a competition organised by the Liverpool Echo newspaper to commemorate the city's 800th anniversary. The shortlist also includes John Peel and Leonard Rossiter.

------------------

A mild boiling of the blood

(1) Merseysider. Do you know anyone who calls themselves a Merseysider?

(2) Greatest and most popular - not the same thing.

(3) No offence to those named but I suspect they reflect the age profile of Echo readers. WTF is Leonard Rossiter? (I'll google him later).

(4) The DP and especially E is increasingly pushing the Merseyside angle to bolster its sales outside the city of Liverpool. It makes commercial sense but it means endless lowest common denominators rather than a celebration of local idiosyncracies and difference.

Banality.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM   #108
Metrolink

I'm not being funny, but doesn't the fact that they need to replace Liverpool with Merseyside say something about the attitude of some people in the Liverpool region more than anything about the paper?
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM   #109
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Not you are not being funny.

Just

disingenuous
predictable
and boring

as always
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM   #110
Metrolink

It was a serious question.

The papers in question are commercial ventures that are there to make as much money as possible.

If they make a conscious decision to use the term Merseyside as opposed to Liverpool (which I actually doubt they do) then surely that's how the majority of the section of the readership want their news reported?

Not saying the these papers represent all of the opinion of the area just as the Mail and Sun only represent a very small part of the nations opinion.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM   #111
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

As I said, disingenuous.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM   #112
Veinticinco
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 61

Its probably because John Peel wasn't from Liverpool, he was from 'greater liverpool', which doesn't exist, it's called Merseyside.
Veinticinco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM   #113
liverpolitan

I remember people using Merseyside quite a bit in the 1980s, I thought that was maybe because of Merseyside County Council? As far as I know MCC did not deliberately waste money in the way Englandsnorthwest institutions waste money trying to foster a sense of "identity" for people (to match their boundaries), but it maybe had some effect. A problem of replacing Merseyside is knowing what to replace it with, and we still have this huge "County" problem that has been so much discussed here.

I recently addressed an envelope to someone who lives in Birkenhead. I am masking the pesronal details but the essence is correct. The address, really should have been:
Mr A Snob
5 Suburban Road
Birkenhead
L43 78C

That would be honest and sufficient to get the letter to him - except of course the L should now read CH - a voiciferous minority of Wirralites lobbied for that change. But this particular person decided to say his address was :
Mr A Snob
The Vintage Cottage
5 Suburb Road
Prenton
Wirral
CH43 78C

He lives in Prenton, a nice enough suburban area of Birkenhead, but manages to conjure up a postal address of pastoral Cheshire. No mention of Liverpool, Birkenhead (let alone the dreaded Merseyside). So this County thing isn't simply anti-Liverpool, it's actually anti-urban - and I believe it is age related, with a significant minority of those who are middle-aged believing that success in life is not living in one of the core cities.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM   #114
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 903

I do believe you've hit the nail on the head Poli.

Metrolink is correct though, Radio Merseyside and the Post & Echo use Merseyside more than anyone else for commercial reasons, like it or not it allows them to expand their borders without inference to association with the big bad city.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM   #115
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Actually Pol, Merseyside CC did spend taxpayers' money on promoting their domain as a real place. This is what these misbegotten public entities must do it seems. MCC paid for adverts on ITV and even had a song:

"Together we'll turn the Tide/This great county, Merseyside" (chorus)

The next year the Tories abolished it.

It's been written on these boards before, but the Wirral postcode change from L to CH had nothing to do with the lobbying of self-deluding snobs on the peninsula but was due to the Wirral's post town being changed from Liverpool to Chester (in itself a typical regionalist downgrading of Liverpool, of course, but that's another story).
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM   #116
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Actually Pol, Merseyside CC did spend taxpayers' money on promoting their domain as a real place. This is what these misbegotten public entities must do it seems. MCC paid for adverts on ITV and even had a song:

"Together we'll turn the Tide/This great county, Merseyside" (chorus)

It's been written on these boards before, but the Wirral postcode change from L to CH had nothing to do with the lobbying of self-deluding snobs on the peninsula but was due to the Wirral's post town being changed from Liverpool to Chester (in itself a typical regionalist downgrading of Liverpool, of course, but that's another story).

Which is a laugh because they (Hesletine) created the county councils in order to give the government more power in red areas (Labour) and when the mostly `Blue` (Tory) County councils turned red they were abolished as an `unnecesary tier of government` .....

Which is a great shame as the `county council` model for `Merseyside` was very effective and it`s demise put back the development of Liverpool in particular back more than a decade IMHO.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #117
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1772

Quote:
(3) No offence to those named but I suspect they reflect the age profile of Echo readers. WTF is Leonard Rossiter? (I'll google him later).

it's Rigsby man he should be there.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:57 PM   #118
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I thought that was Poli?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #119
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink View Post
I'm not being funny, but doesn't the fact that they need to replace Liverpool with Merseyside say something about the attitude of some people in the Liverpool region more than anything about the paper?
Man... I can taste your bile even through this virtual medium!!!!

Did that go for the 'west midlands'... 'Strathclyde' .. or 'Tyneside' too?

More likely a shit nosed plot in Whitehall to promote London's noowerthern bitch!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM   #120
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

We're a big Humberside Tony, and don't you forget it!

Tags
media