daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #661
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
What's the typical aircraft type to be used on the SIN–SUB service?
It's the first flight! So the word "typical" doesn't apply.

If you ask me what type of aircraft SQ used to flown regularly to Surabaya, the answer is Airbus A310-300

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #662
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
It's the first flight! So the word "typical" doesn't apply.

If you ask me what type of aircraft SQ used to flown regularly to Surabaya, the answer is Airbus A310-300
You mean the A333? SQ has retired the A310 a long time ago... But yes, the first flight may need a larger plane to cope with demand. However, checking my FlightBoard, the SQ flight to SUB does not show from either SIN or SUB at all... The flights operating to SIN from SUB that showed up on the boards would be Indonesia AirAsia, LionAir, and Valuair.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #663
netsurfe
Grounded User

Quote:
I see... I'll check it out using FlightBoard to see which aircraft SQ used on the flight. What's the typical aircraft type to be used on the SIN–SUB service?
The scheduled equipment is A330.

Quid est Veritas? // Est vir qui adest
netsurfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #664
netsurfe
Grounded User

Quote:
You mean the A333? SQ has retired the A310 a long time ago... But yes, the first flight may need a larger plane to cope with demand. However, checking my FlightBoard, the SQ flight to SUB does not show from either SIN or SUB at all... The flights operating to SIN from SUB that showed up on the boards would be Indonesia AirAsia, LionAir, and Valuair.
Like I said, A330 (the scheduled aircraft) has similar capacity with the 772.
You wont find the flight anywhere because SQ930/SQ931 will only start tomorrow (26Jul2013).

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #665
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfe View Post
Like I said, A330 (the scheduled aircraft) has similar capacity with the 772.
You wont find the flight anywhere because SQ930/SQ931 will only start tomorrow (26Jul2013).
Oh so the maiden flight will be on the 26th there... It'll be on the 25th here in the US. I'll monitor that flight in case. But, yes, an A333 would suit SIN–SUB better than a B772 due to better seating (despite a lack of F class).

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #666
netsurfe
Grounded User

The issue (or rumour) is that SQ would send 777 due to higher demand. I dont know where his rumour came from, but my argument was 772 has similar capacity with A330 anyway, unless 773 is sent, which is very unlikely as 773 has F.

In Southeast Asia, only CGK and MNL (on/off) still has F. All other destinations only served with 2-class.

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #667
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

The issue (or rumour) is that SQ would send 777 due to higher demand. I dont know where his rumour came from, but my argument was 772 has similar capacity with A330 anyway, unless 773 is sent, which is very unlikely as 773 has F.

In Southeast Asia, only CGK and MNL (on/off) still has F. All other destinations only served with 2-class.
Ah, very interesting... I remember SQ still operates B777s to MNL, despite the fact that three of its four daily services now use the A333. But, yes, I'd like to see F class remain for MNL.

Old July 25th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #668
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Quote:

Cathay Pacific sent their 773 on occasional basis to Surabaya, but this aircraft doesn't feature F.
The only foreign airlines who have F class service to Surabaya is China Airlines, who would occasionally send their Boeing 747 to Surabaya.
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #669
netsurfe
Grounded User

So what's your point?
That's totally different thing, and how is that related to our topic?

I am saying your rumour is unlikely true, and I have said my argument.
Again, if SQ does indeed send 777, it is for other reasons and not "due to high demand".
In fact, I can still redeem a seat under Saver rate for tomorrows flight. So where is this "high demand".

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #670
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Here are the photos of Singapore Airlines' reopening of Singapore-Surabaya route.

Source:

http://www.indoflyer.net/forum/tm.as...1&mpage=1&key=
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #671
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

Singapore Airlines A333 descending into Abu Dhabi.

Singapore Airlines B747-412 '9V-SPQ' @ Singapore Airshow 2012
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #672
netsurfe
Grounded User

Singapore Airlines showcased the new Seats in the NATAS Travel Fair last weekend.
Visitors got the chance to try the seats out, with First Class attracted the most interest (at least during the time I was there)

Economy Class

IMO Cushion is softer and better, not as hard as the currect seats.
Although I am curious as to how the seat would feel after several hours in a longhaul flight.

Slighty bigger screen, now with touch-screen feature.
I am not a fan of this, as this can be very very iritating if the person behind you just hit the screens instead of touching it.
Good news is, controller is still available.

First Class seats in Bed mode

Full-HD LCD Screen

Seat Controller, IFE Controller and Reading lights

Enough room for small luggage

Now the Business Class seats

Plugs and reading lights

Footwell

Controls

Bed mode. Most seats will of course be behind other seats, so I'd say this is exaggeration

All in all, IMO Economy Class has the biggest improvements over the current products.
I hope I'll get a chance to try the new seats as soon as possible.

Equario, bozenBDJ, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #673
ZNaseer

Singapore Airlines A340-541; To be retired by November 2013
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #674
XWB
Too low - terrain

Likes (Received): 441

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit.../ER/2313178/L/
XWB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #675
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

A sad sight that.
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #676
ZNaseer

Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 'STAR ALLIANCE'(9V-SRI); Withdrawn from SQ fleet and stored as N777UK.
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #677
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3329

News from CNA.

Quote:
Singapore Airlines, India's Tata to establish new carrier
POSTED: 19 Sep 2013 7:15 PM

Singapore Airlines and India's Tata conglomerate are to establish a new full-service carrier to be based in New Delhi, the two firms said in a joint statement on Thursday.

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines and India's Tata conglomerate are to establish a new full-service carrier based in New Delhi, the two firms said in a joint statement on Thursday.

Singapore Airlines (SIA) and Tata Sons have signed a memorandum of understanding and applied for government approval to set up the new airline, the statement said.

The establishment of a new airline "will help further stimulate demand for air travel", it said, adding it will be subject to regulatory approvals including from India's foreign investment promotion board.

The new carrier "will be based in New Delhi and will operate under the full-service model", the statement said.

Tata Sons will own 51 per cent of the carrier and SIA will hold 49 per cent.

"We have always been a strong believer in the growth potential of India's aviation sector and are excited about the opportunity to partner Tata Sons in contributing to the future expansion of the market," said SIA chief executive Goh Choon Phong.

"Tata Sons is one of the most established and respected names in India. With the recent liberalisation, the time is right to jointly bring consumers a fresh new option for full-service air travel," he added.

Prasad Menon, chairman of the proposed new carrier, said: "It is Tata Sons' evaluation that civil aviation in India offers sustainable growth potential.

"We now have the opportunity to launch a world-class full-service airline in India."

- AFP/gn
source: CNA

Cafe am Yachthafen liked this post
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #678
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...23603279_n.jpg

source: TODAY
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:47 AM   #679
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
Tata-SIA tie-up seen reaffirming India aviation potential
POSTED: 21 Sep 2013 10:44 AM

A new Indian airline planned by the giant Tata Group and Singapore Airlines reaffirms the nation's long-term potential as an aviation market, despite the sector's current financial turbulence, analysts say.

NEW DELHI: A new Indian airline planned by the giant Tata Group and Singapore Airlines reaffirms the nation's long-term potential as an aviation market, despite the sector's current financial turbulence, analysts say.

Tata Sons, the holding company of tea-to-software conglomerate Tata Group, and SIA said this week they were setting up a full-service airline after two failed joint bids to take to Indian skies.

"This investment affirms India's reputation as a lucrative aviation market in the long-run," Amber Dubey, aerospace head at global consultancy KPMG said.

The $100-billion Tata Group in 1932 pioneered air travel airline in India with Tata Airlines, later taken over by the government and rebranded Air India.

It will hold a majority 51-percent stake in the full-service carrier while SIA will hold 49 percent as they seek to exploit one of the fastest-growing aviation markets globally.

"The proposed airline has applied for Foreign Investment Promotion Board approval," a Tata spokesman said.

However, the joint venture needs a slew of other regulatory approvals and it could be another year before it starts flying, analysts say.

Also, while India's air passenger traffic has doubled over the last seven years, plans for the carrier come as the sector is flying through rough weather.

All but one of the five main airlines is loss-making even though an increasing number of India's population of 1.2 billion are flying.

India's airlines are contending with the region's costliest fuel, a falling currency, cut-throat fare rivalry and rundown infrastructure.

Still, SIA said it was investing in the carrier as "the Indian aviation industry is projected to experience future high growth rates".

KPMG's Dubey said, however, the new airline could prompt more consolidation in the Indian market, without naming carriers which could fall by the wayside.

"With growing competition, only four strong pan-India airlines may survive in two years," he said, adding, "Others may operate in small niche markets and collaborate with the pan-India players."

India's two full-service carriers, Jet Airways and Air India, are seen as being hit hardest by competition from the new airline, analysts said.

Budget airlines account for 70 percent of passenger traffic. India's other full-service airline, Kingfisher, controlled by liquor baron Vijay Mallya, has been idle since last year after running out of cash.

Still, with India's vastly under-penetrated air market, Sharat Dhall, who heads one of India's biggest online travel agencies, Yatra.com, called the new airline "a welcome development... the market has tremendous potential for growth".

Air travel penetration is just 0.04 air trips per capita a year, far behind developed countries such as the US with over two air trips per capita a year, according to government figures.

This marks the third foreign direct investment in the aviation sector since the government said last year foreign airlines could buy as much as 49 percent in local carriers.

The decision, overturning a 10-year ban, was part of a wider drive to draw more investment from abroad.

Earlier this year, the Tatas also announced a partnership with Malaysia's AirAsia for a low-cost carrier in India in which it will own 30 percent.

That airline, to be based in the southern Indian city of Chennai, is awaiting government final clearance to take off.

Now the Tatas will be attacking India's airline market from two sides -- full-service and budget.

Analysts suggested that the Tatas dancing with two partners may cause friction with AirAsia. SIA and AirAsia are keen regional rivals.

But Tata officials ruled out conflict-of-interest between its two airline operations, telling the Times of India the Malaysian carrier "was in the loop about the new venture".

The second foreign investment in the sector came In April when Abu Dhabi's Etihad said it would buy a 24 percent stake in Jet.

In the 1990s, SIA and Tata sought to start an airline but the plan got shelved by government policy changes. In 2000, Tata and SIA partnered again to buy 40 percent of Air India but that proposal collapsed.

"The wheel has come full circle now" for Tata and SIA, said Dubey.

- AFP/xq
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:05 AM   #680
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
Postpone non-urgent travel in view of Typhoon Usagi, advises SIA
POSTED: 22 Sep 2013 12:45 PM

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has advised its customers who are booked on flights departing for Hong Kong and Guangzhou between 22 and 23 September to postpone non-urgent travel, in view of Typhoon Usagi.

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) has advised its customers who are booked on flights departing for Hong Kong and Guangzhou between 22 and 23 September to postpone non-urgent travel, in view of Typhoon Usagi.

In a Facebook posting, SIA said it will waive administrative fees or penalties for refunds, re-booking or re-routing, for customers holding confirmed tickets issued on or before 22 September, for travel until 23 September.

SIA said this also applied to redemption tickets.

SIA said it will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide further updates.

Customers travelling on flights to and from Hong Kong and Guangzhou are advised to check SIA's website.

They can also call the following numbers for flight-related queries - for San Francisco +1 800 742 3333, for Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Singapore +65 6223 8888.

SIA has retimed nine flights for 22 and 23 September in view of Typhoon Usagi.

The affected flights are:

SQ 001 San Francisco to Hong Kong;

SQ 001 Hong Kong to Singapore;

SQ 002 Singapore to Hong Kong;

SQ 002 Hong Kong to San Francisco;

SQ 870 Singapore to Hong Kong;

SQ 872 Singapore to Hong Kong;

SQ 871 Hong Kong to Singapore;

SQ 852 Singapore to Guangzhou; and

SQ 853 Guangzhou to Singapore.

SIA has also renumbered Sunday's flight SQ002 to SQ9002 which departs Singapore for Hong Kong and then from Hong Kong to San Francisco.

- CNA/ir

Tags
singapore, singapore airlines, southeast asian airlines, star alliance