daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #1
dropdeaded209

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago: 50-story Streeterville tower

From New City Skyline:

Now that project plans have been submitted to the city and presentations of the proposal have been given to local community groups, Draper & Kramer Inc. is set to move forward with its planned 50-story hotel and condo tower in the fast developing neighborhood of South Streeterville.

Currently occupied by non-accessory parking and Diggity’s hot dog stand, the lot on the west side of Fairbanks Court between East Ohio Street and East Grand Avenue is soon to be a high-end, mixed-use tower with approximately 170 residential units and 200 hotel rooms. The building will include 10,000 square feet of meeting space, as well as retail and office units. There will also be 300 to 320 below ground parking spaces.

The 50-story tower, designed by architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz, will rise 741’6” feet and feature a roof penthouse with a pool and have partial green roofing. The exterior will have glass curtainwall, glass guardrails for balconies, precast concrete and metal column enclosures and canopies, and metal paneling and stone on the lower levels.

The hotel front and entry circle drive will be facing Fairbanks Court, with condo entry on the north side of the property on Ohio Street, with another circle drive leading to a parking ramp behind the building on the west side. Hotel parking and loading will also be accessible from the south side of the property on Grand Avenue. Additional trees will be planted on all blocks surrounding the building, and sidewalks will be widened.

Donald Vitek, Vice President of acquisitions and developments for Draper and Kramer, told Crain’s ChicagoBusiness that a hotel operator has agreed to run a five-star hotel there, but did not name the aforementioned company. Vitek also said that they are building off of their experience with the redevelopment of the Palmolive Building on North Michigan Ave., Draper & Kramer’s most recent major project completed earlier in 2006. That renovation was so popular that Appraisal Research reported that the 100 luxury condos, priced over $2 million on average, were 95% sold out by the end of the second quarter.

Draper & Kramer’s other recent projects in Chicago include 400 N. LaSalle, Grand Ohio and 401 E. Ontario.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is known for its high-profile designs around the city including The Heritage, Mandarin Oriental Chicago, Wells & Kinzie Tower, Chicago Hilton and Sheraton Chicago.

With hopes set high by designers and developers, the condos on Fairbanks Court will be priced from $600 per square foot and up, and will be marketed beginning in Spring 2007.

It's going to look huge where they're planning on putting it. The march westward continues... think it will actually get built?
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #2
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

great news. waiting for the render
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #3
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

What a perfect spot for this building. I love how much that area of the city is filling in: 600 N. Fairbanks, Cityfront Plaza (3 buildings, one of which could be 65 stories), The Streeter/Streeter II, 550 N. St. Clair, Avenue East, 600 N. LSD. All we need is Fordham Spire to cap it off.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #4
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

nice, a new 50 storey tower for Chicago
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Excellent for Chicago!

I think this is a drawing of the tower? :
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #6
dropdeaded209

elevation

not exactly a rendering, but it gives you an idea of size/massing. reminds me of trump's tower a bit--minus one setback and 600 feet or so. should be a nice counterpoint to the nearby 300 N. LaSalle tower.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #7
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Looks great!
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #8
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

you should bold the 741’6” feet or put it in the topic title. :p
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Awesome!
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #10
dropdeaded209

i'm not sure how tall the mast is--i assume it will be included in the overall height, i'd like to get that stat as well. maybe another 50-75 feet?