daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #41
celestar0

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaboyUSA
Consider the air plane's size, I think that in general, the planes in CLK are bigger, but that doesn't mean what you said most of them are for smaller planes in Kunming New Airport, with much more international routes will operate in Kunming New Airport, more bigger sizes planes will add to service.
My estimation is impartially based on the model pictures you provided. It can be observed that most of the plane models along the concourse are smaller ones in comparison to the fewer supposed "wide-bodied/jumbo" plane models at the "Y" tips, next to the top inner corner of "Y", & at the remote bays. Also notice the gaps between wingtips of the smaller planes fully parked in a row. If these gates are also supposed to handle wide-bodied planes then the gaps in these cases should be quite a distance, like the ones to the right of the main terminal.

In CLK's case, AFAIK, all aerobridged-gates except Gate No.20 are built for wide-bodied planes, hence the wide spans between aerobridges.

Taken all these factors into account I expect Kunming to be smaller in terminal size, amid its similar shape to CLK.

No value judgement on my part at all to begin with. From my point of view "bigger" is not synonymous with "better".

Last edited by celestar0; March 1st, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #42
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

hey, celestar0, don't worry. no matter which one hosts bigger planes, i believe that kunming new airport and hong kong clk have the same goal, for a better life...and it is very important that these two will link to each other with more frequent flights. currently, there is a daily flights between kunming and hong kong. so i am sure that there will be more flights kunming <> hong kong when kunming new airport to start operating.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:18 AM   #43
celestar0

Likes (Received): 1

Worry about what? I simply don't get it...at least not on my part!

Last edited by celestar0; March 2nd, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM   #44
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

no worries, it is just a habit of speaking.
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #45
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Latest news about Kunming New Airport is:
The new airport will contain two set runways with a total amount of four, and there will be 108 air plane spots.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #46
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

Wow!

Quote:
Latest news about Kunming New Airport is:
The new airport will contain two set runways with a total amount of four, and there will be 108 air plane spots.
This made my day!

I'm so happy for Kunming!
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #47
dodge321

Likes (Received): 121

Excuse me for digging up this old thread, but are there any news on the Kunming new airport?
dodge321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #48
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I'm curious as well on how it's developing over there.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #49
velut arbor aevo

Likes (Received): 11

same here, what is its status now.
velut arbor aevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:10 AM   #50
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Here are some renderings of the New Kunming International Airport.
Recent development is that Kunming New International Airport is upgraded to be the National Air Hub of China, which means Kunming Airport will be the No. 4 airport in mainland China after Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou that is authorized to issue Visa-on-arrival for international visitors. Also, National Air Hub authorization can make Kunming not only to open international air routes to Southeast Asia and South Asia, but also to Oceania, Europe and America.

The construction is going on very well, according to the authoritative media, Kunming New Airport will start to operate on the year of 2009 (I Phase), II Phase will be finished on 2015. The airport is 4E grade one, can land Air Bus 380. Current Kunming International Airport is about 4 km away from downtown, passengers has attained to 14.46 million with total flights of 133.6 thousands on 2006, exceeded the design capacity of 10 million passengers.

Kunming New International Airport is designed to have a capacity of 38 million passengers, cargo capacity is 1.3 million tons. Forwarding construction will make the airport to handle 60 million passengers and 1.5 million tons of freight handling capacity by the year of 2015.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 6th, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM   #51
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

I dont like this airport at all.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #52
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Who designed this again? I didn't read the articles. The reasons why Beijing Capital T3 is great is because it is the only one, once people start copying it becomes pathetic.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:37 PM   #53
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

I dont regard that as an copy of Bejing airport .
But as newer, even bigger and more modern airport than the one in bejing are being built, of course bejings airport will not appear as unique as it is now.

Last edited by pflo777; December 2nd, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #54
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

The design seems resemble as a bird. Probably a Phoenix? It seems China is making airports out of the symbolic or sacred animals.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #55
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
Who designed this again? I didn't read the articles. The reasons why Beijing Capital T3 is great is because it is the only one, once people start copying it becomes pathetic.
Then you should do some research by yourself.

Kunming New Airport's Terminal never copy the T3 in Beijing, it may look similar by some factors and the reason is that Beijing T3 and Kunming New International Airport Terminal are all jointly designed by a British firm - Arup. See the following: (I think that I've posted that on the previous page, but here you are again, it is a kind of hard to see which is the Chinese design firm as they always in a low-key showing up and I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY KEEP THAT MANNER especially on English media news)

Arup signs MoU for the design of major airport hub in China
Release date: 13/09/2006

London: Today, in a signing ceremony held at 10 Downing Street, global design and engineering consultancy Arup entered into an agreement with Yunnan Provincial Airport Group to develop a design for the new Yunnan Kunming International Airport in China. The agreement will see Arup work alongside a Chinese design institute (still to be appointed), to undertake the design of the terminal building. Yunnan Kunming International Airport is set to become the fourth largest airport hub in China, handling in excess of 60 million passengers a year by 2035.

Arup was selected following an international competition for the airport masterplan and terminal building design scheme. Arup’s design was commended by the selection panel and the firm will now partner with the appointed Chinese institute to establish the technical specifications of the project.

Arup will bring its experience of best practice in international airport design to the project, experience which includes Terminal 3 of Beijing International Airport, Chongqing Jiangbei International airport, Heathrow Terminal 5, London, and JFK Terminal 4 in New York. Arup will work closely with its appointed Chinese design partner to ensure the delivery of a high-quality, unique and distinctive airport development.

Arup and its client are committed to designing an airport that applies sustainable environmental principles of energy conservation and the use of natural heat, light and water systems in the airport’s use. This also includes developing land and airside facilities to help with efficient passenger and cargo movement.

In working together on this project, Yunnan Provincial Airport Group and Arup are furthering international collaboration and trade policy set by the Governments of the United Kingdom and the People’s Republic of China. The project will be a showcase for the highest quality of international and Chinese masterplanning, design and management skills.

citation: http://www.arup.com/newsitem.cfm?pageid=9029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
The design seems resemble as a bird. Probably a Phoenix? It seems China is making airports out of the symbolic or sacred animals.
I like the Kunming New Airport Terminal, it generates the unique ethnic people's architecture style and is combined with the modern international designing concept. Since the Chinese assigned design firm in China's name is not showing up in the English news that I found, it is somewhat hard for me to say that the style is exactly a symbol of a certain sacred bird, but in my perception, it looks like a Peacock is ready to fly to the sky, Peacock is a very popular bird in Yunnan Province and symbolizes good fortune.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 4th, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #56
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

The ribbon like effect in the interior makes the airport look cheesy,tacky and too chaotic. Its like an attempt to make it elegant but failed miserably.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #57
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
I'm curious as well on how it's developing over there.
Hey, read this on the website of Consulate General of Malaysia, Kunming.

The foundation-laying ceremony and construction-mobilizing conference for the new airport of Kunming was grandly held at 10:00 yesterday morning, at the venue of new airport located in Dabanqiao Town of Guandu District, Kunming. Bai Enpei, Yunnan Provincial Party Secretary and Chairman of Yunnan Provincial People’s Congress announced the foundation-laying of the new airport. Other attended leaders are: Qin Guangrong, Vice Provincial Party Secretary and Governor of Yunnan; Yang Guoqing, Deputy Director-General of Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC); Li Jiheng, Vice Party Secretary of Yunnan; Wang Xueren, Chairman of Yunnan Provincial Political Consultative Conference. The ceremony symbolized that the new airport of Kunming has formally step into its construction stage.

On behalf of the Provincial Party Committee and Provincial Government, Governor Qin Guangrong expressed the warmly congratulations to the foundation-laying and the sincere thanks to the support from National Development and Reform Commission, CAAC, People’s Liberty Army (PLA) of China and other related departments. He requested all concerned departments in Yunnan to cooperate with each other well, further optimize the planning and designing of the new airport, accelerate the construction process and try to complete the project earlier.

Yang Guoqing gave a remark on behalf of CAAC, Li Jiheng read the approval documents for the construction of the new airport issued by the State Council and Central Military Commission.

According to related information, the only big airport approved during the “11th Five-Year Plan” of China, new airport of Kunming will be completed by 2020, from where the direct distance to Kunming is 24.5km, and there will be 108 airplane parking space and two four-lane runways. The annual throughput of passengers will reach 38million person-times, and annual throughput of cargo and posts will approach 1.3million ton. The total investment budget will be amounted to RMB23.09billion.

Feb. 12, 2007 (MON)

Life News Page A07

By Wang Rong

http://www.kln.gov.my/perwakilan/kunming/news/448

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 6th, 2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #58
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

and for those who can read Chinese news.

专家:昆明新机场将建成国家门户机场2006-6-28 春秋晚报

25日下午,论坛筹备组召开新闻发布会。省政府副秘书长、省政府研究室主任车志敏,云南机场集团总经理刘明,香港机场管理局行政总裁彭定中,中国航空集团有限责任公司董事、常务副总裁张宪林,云南日报报业集团副社长、总经理王建又等领导和民航界资深人士,应邀到会介绍情况并接受记者提问。

记者(以下简称记):请问彭定中总裁,您如何看待云南机场的发展情况?根据您多年管理香港机场的经验,您认为云南机场在管理上应走一条什么样的路子?
彭定中(以下简称彭):机场业发展要有市场,云南机场业发展有很大的市场需求。在其他地方通过修高速公路可以替代航空,但云南有许多地方很需要发展航空业。此外,云南还是中国西南的门户,是中国面向东南亚、南亚的窗口,如果与国内航线较好衔接,云南机场的发展前景将非常好。从管理的角度讲,机场不是公共设施,而是企业和产品,管理者要随时将顾客放在心中,以人为本,满足顾客需要。
记:未来机场业的竞争将是机场群与机场群、机场联盟与机场联盟的竞争。请问刘明总经理,昆明机场与成都双流机场是合作态势还是竞争态势?
刘明(以下简称刘):我不太赞同机场用竞争性理论来分析。毕竟它们都是公益性基础设施,机场与机场之间会发生一些机场群效应。但我强调应发挥机场群效应,机场群与机场群之间的联盟比竞争还重要。
车志敏(以下简称车):我赞同刘总的观点,请允许我再补充几句。云南机场在区位和气候上具有全国其他机场所没有的优势,昆明新机场不怕与其他机场竞争。昆明新机场不会局限于跟其他机场竞争,而是服从国家战略,成为面向东南亚、南亚,连接欧亚的国家门户枢纽机场。
记:请问彭总裁,您认为云南机场业发展当前最紧要的是要抓好哪项工作?
彭:地面和空中的资源非常珍贵,对香港机场和全国的机场来讲都是一样,最紧要的就是如何让有限的空中和地面资源发挥出最好的经济社会效益。
刘:非常赞同彭总裁的意见。除了让昆明机场等有限空中和地面资源发挥出最好的经济社会效益外,我们还迫切需要进一步深化各项改革,强化机场管理,实现诚信、平安。
车:从我们的角度说,当前最紧要的是加快昆明新机场的建设进度。现有昆明机场太小,已不能满足需求,昆明新机场早建成一天,就早发挥效益一天。其次,要将机场业发展与云南经济社会发展更加紧密结合,为机场业发展创造更好的基础和条件。
记:民航总局与云南省政府最近签订会谈纪要,将昆明新机场的定位从面向东南亚、南亚的门户机场调整为国家的门户枢纽机场。这一定位调整后,云南省有何新打算?
车:这一定位调整后,使昆明新机场升格了,从区域性枢纽机场升格为国家门户枢纽机场,是一重大转变。加快云南机场业发展,不仅对云南有利,也有利于中国民航发展。昆明新机场成为国家门户枢纽机场后,云南非常有必要拥有自己的航空公司。可以向大家透露,是采取收回方式还是重组成立云南的航空公司,此事已列入省委、省政府领导的考虑之中。

http://www.hztt.com/Tour/2006-6-28/102198.shtml

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 6th, 2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #59
kjoey

Likes (Received): 164

It does have similar looks to the new Beijing Airport but I like the fact that it has oriental fill to it.
kjoey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #60
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Construction will be completed on 2020? I wonder why it will take that long? By the way, anyone knows the location of Kunming?
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
east asian hub airport