daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #61
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

Kinda surprise that someone doesn't know the location of Kunming. It is pretty famous in western countries. Kunming is the capital city of China's southwestern Yunnan Province.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 8th, 2007 at 07:16 AM.
ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #62
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Construction will be completed on 2020? I wonder why it will take that long? By the way..
2020 is for the entire construction. There are several phases for that.
First one will be finished on 2009, then 2015; and 2020.
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #63
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Well, not of all us knows about it. If it got some major construction thread like in Chongqing, Shenyang or Dalian, then everyone may know about it. Thanks for the clarification regarding the construction though.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #64
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

^ Oh mine, Kunming is the sister city of Denver, don't tell me that you don't know where Denver is.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #65
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

Wonder why Kunming was selected to be China's 4th int'l hub. I thought cities like Chengdu, Chongqing would be better candidates, especially Chongqing, which is planned to be China's Chicago to open up the West.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #66
Gaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaboyUSA View Post
^ Oh mine, Kunming is the sister city of Denver, don't tell me that you don't know where Denver is.
WOW!
I wonder why you are trying to be personal and give somebody an attitude if someone is asking question that does not even try to bother you or insult you and your country? Of course, I'm in United States and I went to Denver three times plus one of the best ski resorts in Colorado which is "Vail" and "Aspen" (All of their ski resorts, would you like me to tell you the name of the resorts?). Is that what you do? Undermine "people who are investing" and trying to study more of your country and everything around it? Not all Westerners knows about Kunming. Not all of them knows about Dalian, Tianjin, Chongqing, Wuxi, Wuhan and other places in China either. They are still learning from your country. So for God sake, do not be TOO ARROGANT!!!

And by the way,
Thank you for giving me the answer and the attitude.
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #67
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

For Gaeus, don't put your personal problem on the thread.
Thanks.
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #68
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarkdom View Post
Wonder why Kunming was selected to be China's 4th int'l hub. I thought cities like Chengdu, Chongqing would be better candidates, especially Chongqing, which is planned to be China's Chicago to open up the West.
Kunming's importance to Southeast Asia and South Asia.
Fly from Singapore, Kunming is the closest among the cities you mentioned above.
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #69
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

For European traffic, I'd see Urumqi being very high potential for trunk routes and then disperse the rest to other secondary cities in China.

Yunnan's tourism appeal internationally is still fairly weak. They really need to work on that to achieve major hub status.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #70
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Yunnan province as a whole economically is weeker than coastal ones or some mid-west ones, not the weakest. The point is the difference between Kunming and the rest of Yunnan, besides tourism, I see more business connections among Kunming and other major cities in China, ie. Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shengzheng, Xian, Chongqing, etc. than the areas within Yunnan province.

Kunming's gateway function is focus on Southeast and South Asia, in the future will connect European cities directly. Wulumuqi (Urumqi) is very nice, but the dispersing time to other major cities is relatively longer than from Kunming.

The concept of the Air Hub here is not only decided by the quantities of air routes, but also, a very important thing is the Visa-on-arrival function, which means international tourists who travel to China have one more choices on obaining their visas when they arrive by air.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #71
Gaeus

That's the answer I've been looking for. Not the previous one that is insulting and not even an educational response.

Quote:
For Gaeus, don't put your personal problem on the thread.
Thanks.
I don't have a personal problem with you. You are the one who are trying to create one and trying to get away from it. "I DON'T KNOW DENVER?" Is that the response you can give me? I wonder why? Check and review your remarks again. Thank you and bye.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #72
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

An effect image of Kunming New Airport!

Old December 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #73
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

Quote:
Yunnan province as a whole economically is weeker than coastal ones or some mid-west ones, not the weakest. The point is the difference between Kunming and the rest of Yunnan, besides tourism, I see more business connections among Kunming and other major cities in China, ie. Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shengzheng, Xian, Chongqing, etc. than the areas within Yunnan province.

Kunming's gateway function is focus on Southeast and South Asia, in the future will connect European cities directly. Wulumuqi (Urumqi) is very nice, but the dispersing time to other major cities is relatively longer than from Kunming.

The concept of the Air Hub here is not only decided by the quantities of air routes, but also, a very important thing is the Visa-on-arrival function, which means international tourists who travel to China have one more choices on obaining their visas when they arrive by air.
Kunming's population base actually is disadvantageous from other inland cities especially Chongqing. Unless Yunnan has more industry, I doubt it can be an effective hub for the region with tourism traffic alone.

Europe-China flights pass through Russia and Urumqi is the first major Chinese city on the flight path, hence it would make much sense to make connections from there to other secondary Chinese cities. Although that is likely to be a far off reality until alliances can be more strongly enforced, Urumqi's potential is quite large. For those connecting to SE Asia, they'll likely use Bangkok anyway, not a secondary Chinese city. I doubt China will grant fifth freedom rights for those connector flights operated by foreign carriers.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #74
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Kunming's current airport handling capacity is the 8th in mainland China, the number of pessenger and cargo's increasing rate is growing fast. The population of Kunming is about 5 million, and the connection time between the central Yunnan's major cities to Kunming New Airport will be within 2 hours by highway, which means the total population in a bigger scope on land around Kunming is more than 10 million. Consider the total population of Yunnan of over 40 million, there definitely needs a much bigger airport in the province to serve the local development.

OK, let's take a view of the whole western China's airport survey. At the moment, Chengdu is the biggest, and Kunming is very closing after Chengdu as the 2nd. But in term of the international routes, Kunming handles more than that of Chengdu. Most of the southeast Asian countries has set up consulates in Kunming, since the connection between them to China, Kunming is the most convenient. Today, many domestic tourists travel from Southwestern, Northwestern even the Northern China including Beijing, to southeast Asian destinations would like to transfer from Kunming. So Kunming possesses the ability to meet that.

Internationally, Kunming will be and has the advantage to be the 4th Air Hub for mainland China. Let's make an example, Soeul is becoming a transferring hub for Northern China's travelers in between pacific areas, the role of Soeul for Chinese tourists travel abroad or international tourists travel to China is an option and can make up to each other. So does Tokyo and Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou (the custom system are respectively two individual ones between Hong Kong and mainland). So does Bangkok and Kunming once the Kunming New Airport starts to operate.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; December 17th, 2007 at 03:00 AM.
ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM   #75
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Happy New Year!

I find a video about the construction at:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTc4NDAyOA==.html

and an effect photo:

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM   #76
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Here is a photo about the beginning of the construction:

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #77
carry_a_torch
ok ok ok

Likes (Received): 4

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #78
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Chongqing is not China's Chicago. Chongqing has been a thriving city long before Chicago became a village.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #79
danchun

Likes (Received): 19

Last edited by danchun; December 16th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
danchun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #80
danchun

Likes (Received): 19

danchun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
east asian hub airport