daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2141
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
City may grow beyond capacity within 3 years
Shanghai Daily
Aug 16, 2012

SHANGHAI'S downtown has grown so crowded that the current population density is up to fourfold that of its foreign counterparts, and the city may be running out of resources to support its swelling population in three years, a recent investigation by the city's top advisory board says.....
Just so I can get an idea, are they using the international definition of "city limits" or the Chinese criteria?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2142
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Just so I can get an idea, are they using the international definition of "city limits" or the Chinese criteria?
Shanghai is one of China's special municipalities. Don't think there is a concept of metro or city areas with different population counts like in the US.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #2143
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

And that's why I love Shanghai, because it's so freaking busy But they are right. It is becoming quite crowded. Metro's are unbearable during rush hour.
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2144
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro extension to open next year
Shanghai Daily
Aug 17, 2012

A NEW section of Metro Line 11 is expected to open in the first half of next year, Shanghai Shentong Metro Group said yesterday.

Most of the construction work has been finished on the 21-kilometer extension that runs from downtown Changning District to Pudong New Area. Line 11 currently runs from suburban Jiading District to downtown Jiangsu Road. Huashan Road, a key thoroughfare, will gradually be reopened to traffic by the end of this year after more than two years to make way for subway construction. The road has been closed as workers build the nearby Jiao Tong University Station for lines 10 and 11 in Xuhui District.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2145
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Shanghai is one of China's special municipalities. Don't think there is a concept of metro or city areas with different population counts like in the US.
That's why I inquired whether they are using international standards or talking about the entire municipality (which I doubt). Generally, when they speak about the "city" of Shanghai, they're talking about the core, continuously built area.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2146
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Design Collective (Museum/Gallery/Showroom) by Local Architects Neri & Hu /如恩设计 in Qingpu District, Suburban Shanghai.

From archdaily.com

Quote:

Architects: Neri & Hu Design and Research Office/如恩设计研究室
Project Year: 2012
Project Area: 2,000 sqm
Photographs: Shen Zhonghai

The new Design Collective is located in the outskirt of Shanghai in a town called Qingpu. Neri&Hu inherited an existing building and was given the task to completely redesign both the exterior and the interior without demolishing the existing structure. Neri&Hu’s concept was to cover the existing building to create a new exterior identity and simultaneously fabricate an introverted spatial platform to create a new identity for the Design Collective, a group of avant garde furniture retail initiative in the city.

The existing building has been completely covered with an opaque graphic wrapper made with carbon fiber panel to create an introverted spatial condition to showcase furniture both visually and experientially.

The main entry is characterized by a large steel funnel, serving as a transition element from the urban context to the exhibition space. The shape of the entry tube also serves as a means of emphasizing the arrival into the 3 story exhibition hall where the visitors introverted journey begins.

The staircase wrapping the interior of the main exhibition space leads the visitor throughout the multiple levels of display where the furniture can be experienced from varying spatial relationship and viewed form different vantage points and voyeuristic snippets of retail display. This journey is accentuated as the visitor climbs higher through the gallery levels by the seven large openings in the roof which serve to allow daylight into the exhibition space while at once generating a moment of visual release from within the introverted exhibition environment.

Design Republic Qingpu store is located on the first floor, with a total area of 2,000 sqm. Design Republic offers a unique collection of products created by the world’s best design talents collaborates with many designers both foreign and local to create products that will explore a new modern Chinese aesthetic.

Design Republic stands for a new birth of life and style. At its foundation, it is a republic of life – life that creates meaning and understanding through its relationship to objects of habitation. Seeking to explore the relationship between people and the simple objects they use in life – a plate, a teacup, a chair; it is here where we discover the beauty of everyday life.

Design Republic is also a republic of style – style that creates new ideologies in design, retail, and merchandising concepts embodying a distinctive aesthetic for contemporary China. It crosses traditional boundaries to merge old and new, traditional and modern, opulent and austere, to ultimately create a dynamic platform of design.

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2147
hkskyline
Hong Kong

City to energize conservation with subsidies for efficient construction
Shanghai Daily
Aug 23, 2012

SHANGHAI will offer incentives to project owners who adopt energy-efficient design and technologies in new buildings starting next month under a new local regulation.

The plan calls for the government to pick up 30 to 50 percent of the extra construction cost incurred as a result of greener building techniques, said Shanghai Construction Commission officials.

The initiative will be supported by a new local law taking effect on September 15, officials said. To encourage more builders to adopt greener designs and materials, the law stipulates that future building projects meeting the city's green-architecture standards will receive a government subsidy of up to 60 yuan (US$9.45) per square meter in construction costs.

Xu Qiang, general engineer with the Shanghai Institute of Building Science, said adopting greener methods means buildings will have construction costs 5 to 10 percent higher than ordinary. The future government subsidy will cover 30 to 50 percent of the extra cost after the law takes effect.

"Such a level of support for energy-saving building projects is unprecedented," said Qin Yun, deputy director with the construction commission yesterday at a news conference.

Meanwhile, penalties are also being developed by the government to use against building property managers who fail to keep their energy consumption efficient.

Officials said that in near future, managers of large public buildings will face a higher rate for the part of their power bills surpassing reasonable usage limits. A government monitoring network is being expanded to help gather information to help tailor the future limits.

The system connected to these buildings reports to a government control center on real-time electricity consumption, sorted for such functions as elevators and air conditioning. Officials said loopholes and deficiencies in a building's power use could be easily detected. The center has already warned many building managers of problems spotted by the system, leading to renovations that have saved energy.

"Many hotels have already been informed and fixed their energy-use problems through streamlined management or using greener products," said Ye Qian, an official with the government monitoring center.

More than 200 such buildings are now covered by the platform and by 2015, plans call for all major public buildings to be monitored.

Utility experts said that large public buildings - meaning those covering more than 20,000 square meters - consume energy at a rate nearly five times as great as residential buildings.

Old August 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2148
zxczxczxc

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
City may grow beyond capacity within 3 years
Shanghai Daily
Aug 16, 2012

SHANGHAI'S downtown has grown so crowded that the current population density is up to fourfold that of its foreign counterparts, and the city may be running out of resources to support its swelling population in three years, a recent investigation by the city's top advisory board says.
This article seems to primarily deal with the municipality definition of Shanghai; 6340,5 km^2 with more than 23 million inhabitants. If "downtown" Shanghai has 16,828 people per km^2 and an area corresponding to 10% of the municipality, it has a population of approximately 10.7 million people, which is not too far from half of the entire the municipality's population. However, the author also claims that the entire "city" has a population density which is much higher than that of the municipality. I'm guessing he/she is talking about the urban area here.

Is this area (approximately 634.05 km^2) an accurate representation of "downtown" Shanghai, though? I have never been there myself, but if areas such as Huangpu and Jing'an districts have population densities more than twice as high as 16,828 per km^2, surely some areas within this definition of "downtown" Shanghai must be relatively low-density, pershaps around 10,000 people per km^2? I think some central areas of Tokyo have such densities, though, so the 6340.05 km^2 definition of "downtown" Shanghai may be accurate if one includes some central but not extremely dense areas.

I am also wondering what constitutes "downtown" or central Shanghai in the eyes of "most" Shanghai residents? Is it bounded by the Inner Ring Road, the Middle Ring Road, or includes areas areas even further out?

I am very interested in this city, in fact I might live there for about five months next year.

Last edited by zxczxczxc; August 26th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
zxczxczxc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2149
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxczxc View Post
This article seems to primarily deal with the municipality definition of Shanghai; 6340,5 km^2 with more than 23 million inhabitants. If "downtown" Shanghai has 16,828 people per km^2 and an area corresponding to 10% of the municipality, it has a population of approximately 10.7 million people, which is not too far from half of the entire the municipality's population. However, the author also claims that the entire "city" has a population density which is much higher than that of the municipality. I'm guessing he/she is talking about the urban area here.

Is this area (approximately 634.05 km^2) an accurate representation of "downtown" Shanghai, though? I have never been there myself, but if areas such as Huangpu and Jing'an districts have population densities more than twice as high as 16,828 per km^2, surely some areas within this definition of "downtown" Shanghai must be relatively low-density, pershaps around 10,000 people per km^2? I think some central areas of Tokyo have such densities, though, so the 6340.05 km^2 definition of "downtown" Shanghai may be accurate if one includes some central but not extremely dense areas.

I am also wondering what constitutes "downtown" or central Shanghai in the eyes of "most" Shanghai residents? Is it bounded by the Inner Ring Road, the Middle Ring Road, or includes areas areas even further out?

I am very interested in this city, in fact I might live there for about five months next year.
What I was trying to get at
I'm not at all familiar with how they go about determining these things. From my experience (this is JUST anecdotal) central Shanghai is pretty much Puxi, i.e.:

*note, that map is a little dated

And everything else:

*note the central "core" districts

The problem is that Shanghai is at once a city and at once a pseudo-province, so I've found you have to make clear the context in which you use it. It is possible to be referring to the city-center when one is speaking about "Shanghai" or the entire municipality...for instance, I lived in Birmingham for a while, and I noticed people would tell others they were from Hoover or Vestavia (suburbs) while others would just say Birmingham. "Birmingham" at once refers to the area within the city-limits but also the Greater Area. If I'm talking with Chinese people, I'll say "Old Shanghai" and "New Shanghai" (which isn't exactly any better, but it's clearer what I'm talking about).

Last edited by phoenixboi08; August 26th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2150
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4409

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxczxc View Post

Me as an "inner-city entusiast" always like to investiage the downtown/innercity of cities and I have done much research and investigation on Shanghai.

Shanghai is a divided city, you got Puxi and Pudong.
On the Pudong side I would say that the inner city stretches at most to were the metro ring line 4 goes.

In Puxi there aren't the clear boundaries of were the inner-city/downtown ends and starts. But I would say AT LEAST the inner ring elevated highway are the boundaries. But as I said there aren't so clear boundaries, there isn't that clear contrast going past the inner-ring road. Downtown-like areas can go well past the inner ring elevated highway in some places while in other places the downtown clearly ends were the elevated-ring road is.

I have just been in central Shanghai touristy parts of Shanghai so I can't say with my own experiences. This just my observation after viewing countless pictures, Google Earth, street view, and statistics.
Can somebody that have lived or spent much in Shanghai enlighten me more perhaps?
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2151
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6231

Shanghai's contiguous urban area, takes in Kunshan, Suzhou and Wuxi. Chaozhou (in darker red) is not contiguous. The countryside all around is dense and midrise, made up of farmers apartments, and looks urban (though it isn't).

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #2152
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Incessant drilling a way of life in city that never stops
Shanghai Daily
Aug 27, 2012

I'M in the middle of a reasonably pleasant dream when I'm woken abruptly by a loud mechanical noise coming from inside my head. The noise is so loud, I think my head might be about to explode. The room is vibrating visibly. It feels like the end of the world has arrived.

"DDDDDRRRRRRR" the noise says loudly. "DDDDRRRRRR."

"Oh my god, an earthquake!" I sit up with a jolt. After the typhoon last week, this is almost too much to handle. "Am I supposed to leave the building or stay inside?" I think in a panic. "What about the cat?"

With a slow thudding feeling, I realize the noise is not, in fact, an earthquake, but the builders in the apartment above mine.

"Oh, it's the upstairs neighbors," I think exasperatedly. "They're drilling."

Shanghai is famous for its unstoppable construction work, its entire skyscraper district rising breathlessly from marshland in the 1990s in a matter of years. As a result an incessant, maniacal hum has become a sort of soundtrack to the city. "Vienna has Mozart, New Orleans has jazz. We have pneumatic drills," I think, with a sigh.

Unstoppable work

The old West side of the city where I live is supposed to be "finished," but on Gao'an Road the tide of destruction proceeds merrily on. A house will vanish in a day, only to be replaced by a new one a week later. Sometimes I think my neighbors are pretending to be drilling simply to outdo one another. I look around my apartment for things to drill. "There are only so many holes you can make," I think darkly.

The next morning I wake up at 7am with a jolt.

"DDDDDDDDRRRR." The noise has moved up a notch and now seems to be coming from several different directions at once, a kind of stereo surround-sound version of hell.

I find myself looking up ancient Chinese forms of torture on the Internet. "Slow slicing," or "death by 1,000 cuts" sounds pretty nasty, but the water drip technique sounds relatively pleasant, at least compared to drilling. "At least water torture would be quiet," I think.

After a few days I am not sure if the drilling is actually going on or not, because I can hear it all the time anyway. The drill has an uncanny sense of timing. Sometimes I think it has stopped, but as soon as I turn on the television it starts again.

"DDDDDRRRRRR" it says spitefully. "DDDRRRRRRR."

"That's enough," I think one evening. "This is show time." I go up to the ninth floor. A builder answers the door wearing what look like underpants and brandishing a huge pneumatic drill. I peer into the flat. To my dismay, it looks distinctly unfinished. There are drill holes everywhere.

"Hi, I'm from downstairs," I say. "I wondered how much longer this was going to go on for?" The builder grins proudly and looks down at his drill.

"We have a lot of work to do," he says, pointing the tool directly at me and making a drilling noise. "DRRRRRRRRR."

"When do you think it will be finished?" I say.

The builder's workmate comes to the door to see what is going on. He is also wearing underpants and wields an even bigger drill.

"It's hard to say," the first builder says, beaming. "Probably by the end of the month. Maybe even sooner."

I breathe a sigh of relief. I have a blissful vision of snoozing in the balmy quietude of my flat. "Hallelujah," I think. "That was really getting too much."

"Then we start on the house downstairs!" the second builder says joyfully, pointing his drill at the wall. "DRRRRRRRRRRR."

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #2153
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Town reconsiders demolition of century-old house
Shanghai Daily
Aug 30, 2012

A TOWN government yesterday agreed to reevaluate the historic value of a century-old house in a Shanghai suburban area after the 76-year-old owner moved back into the dilapidated building alone to protect it from demolition.

The structure of wood and brick was built in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) with a steep, tiled roof and elaborately engraved flowers and birds. The engraved patterns can also be found on windows and doors.

"I was born in the house and witnessed it standing in winds and rains for over 70 years, so I really don't want to see it being torn down," Sun Shaoxin said.

Sun's great-grandfather built the 120-square-meter house 100 years ago - it originally had four rooms - and his father spent his whole life living there.

The old house had been closed for years because of its poor condition, but Sun moved in recently to try to save it. He said the local government planned to demolish it in the middle of next month.

The historic building protection authority of Pujiang Town, where the house stands, will send an expert team to reevaluate the value of the building and to decide whether it should be saved, an official with the Minhang District told Shanghai Daily yesterday.

The official said the house failed to be listed among the city's protected historic buildings that cannot be demolished.

However, if the expert team finds it still has value due to its structure or engraved patterns, the government will protect it, the official said.

Old August 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2154
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Incessant drilling a way of life in city that never stops

"Then we start on the house downstairs!" the second builder says joyfully, pointing his drill at the wall. "DRRRRRRRRRRR."
Amazing story haha

And I think, for a city the size of Shanghai, there isn't even that much construction going on...
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #2155
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Amazing story haha

And I think, for a city the size of Shanghai, there isn't even that much construction going on...
Definitely not like Dubai!

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2156
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
The countryside all around is dense and midrise, made up of farmers apartments, and looks urban (though it isn't).

Yes, this is what I noticed while on a bus from Hangzhou to Shanghai. Hangzhou, as we know, is by no means part of Shanghai urban area but the land inbetween is also heavily urbanized. On the entire route you could see a somewhat densely built-up countryside with massive highrises being built in a distance (A LOT of them!). I'll post those pictures in my upcoming Shanghai thread.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #2157
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15908

Can't wait, Pansori. We rarely see pictures of Shanghai outskirts.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2158
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The new Jiangning Road Bridge under construction has its main structure joined together and is expected to open to traffic in December. The entirely new bridge over the Suzhou Creek is built on the site of the original one, which was demolished in 2011 after 40 years of service because heavy traffic had rendered it structurally dangerous, officials said.

Shanghai Daily

Old September 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2159
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Huge underground reservoir to help drainage woes
Shanghai Daily
Sep 5, 2012

A titanic storm-water collection pool is on the anti-flood network's construction blueprint, the city's anti-flood authority said.

Shanghai plans an underground reservoir with a capacity equaling 1,200 standard swimming pools under the city's urban areas in the next 18 years to upgrade its drainage system, said the Shanghai Urban Construction Group.

The project includes a 15-kilometer-long and 8-meter-wide tube under Suzhou Creek to store rainwater before draining it directly to the creek as is current practice, officials said. With the new reservoir and updated systems, polluted storm water would be stored in the reservoir first and then drained to the rivers after being treated.

Also, the capacity of the 67 drainage systems in the Inner Ring Road area will be increased once a year instead of once every two years.

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2160
hkskyline
Hong Kong

City plans 150 more schools for suburbs
Shanghai Daily
Sep 6, 2012

AN additional 150 schools and kindergartens will be built on the city's outskirts as growth of the migrant population outstrips the supply of education resources, the Shanghai Education Commission said yesterday.

Also, one district is addressing the shortage by using a grading system to determine which non-local families gain access to public kindergartens.

With the influx, the previous education blueprint for 2011 to 2015 couldn't meet the needs, officials said. So commission is drafting new plans to build another 150 kindergartens and schools in the suburbs, officials said.

While 71 percent of students are in the suburbs, only 65 percent schools and kindergartens are in those areas, officials said.

Most parents prefer to send their children to public kindergartens and schools, which are cheaper than private ones.

Minhang District, which has seen a big increase in its migrant population, is using a pilot program this year that grades non-local families for kindergarten admission to determine which children come first. According to the system, public kindergarten space for non-local children will be open first to those whose parents are deemed to have made a bigger contribution to the city's development.

The candidate family is evaluated according to the parents' years working in the city, social security insurance payments and even such factors as voluntary service and blood donations.

Children from non-local families with lower grades will have to go to private kindergartens or day care centers, if the public kindergartens have been occupied with those from the higher grades.

The district government offers subsidies to private kindergartens according to their intake of children.

Other districts in the city are also exploring new systems to help them deal with the issue, the commission said.

steven939 liked this post

Tags
shanghai