daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #201
Ebek21

Shanghai is growing so fast that each year you will find another skyline
Ebek21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #202
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Yes I look like T3...!!

Highcliff liked this post
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #203
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

Shanghai competes with Beijing seriously
I cannot decide to send my"wow" to whom!
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #204
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

why?

maybe its that beijing competes with shanghai? T.T
beijing is building many skyscrappers now

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM   #205
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Shanghai's metro system will have 512km by 2012 and 970km by 2020.
So Shanghai would already have the world's longest metro system in 2012. Question though, is the 970 km strictly subway or is it an integrated commuter rail, light rail, and subway? When I say commuter rail, I mean a system like the Metro North, Long Island RailRoad, Tokyo's commuter lines, or S-Bahn. I feel compelled to make that clear because so far, Shanghai's "commuter rail" looks like just really long metro lines instead of a true suburban rail setup. Do you know if this has changed?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #206
kix111

its just the subways (line 1/2/3etc) plus one maglev train

most of them are subway..maybe a few (3? 4?) of them will be on the elevated tracks on the ground including the maglev train to pudong airport

Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #207
drunkenmunkey888

So Shanghai does not plan to build any monorails or commuter rails? Thats unfortunate. I was hoping its plan won't be so monotonous.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #208
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

The metro works as a commuter system in the sense that it transports people from outer areas of the city to downtown, just like in many European cities.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #209
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15931

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post

So Shanghai does not plan to build any monorails or commuter rails? Thats unfortunate. I was hoping its plan won't be so monotonous.
I guess some new lines will be elevated, they are constructing a double deceker bridge over the Huangpu which includes elevated light railways. Also, there is no reason to spend a lot of money in underground subway for the suburbs I think.

However, it is hard to say how many km will be underground, on surface or elevated. Even some of the existing lines have the three kinds, like metro line 4.

Btw, I think we are seeing just the first stages of Shanghai metro planning. The planned gird, even in the maps showing 22 lines, is still too dispersed. Even in the center there are many areas which will be too far away from the closest line. So, I suppose they'll go on meshing the gird constructing more and more lines in the future. Notice that Shanghai is a very dense city, it really needs a dense metro gird.

Another thing they should fix is constructing more stations. Many stations are too far away from each other, around one kilometer, too much for a dense city like Shanghai. But since there are still too few lines for such a monster megacity, if they built many stations the trains would be even more packed. Maybe in the future.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #210
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Gregotti beats the competition in Shanghai

Gregotti Associati

Gregotti Associati win competition for extending financial district

The project prepared by Milan based Gregotti Associati, joined for the occasion by local partner Thape, has been selected in the restricted international consultation held by the Government of Shanghai to extend the eastern part of the financial district of Lujiazui (better known as Pudong). The project involves an area of around 850 thousand m2 at the centre of the famous downtown area of Shanghai, where innumerable skyscrapers, including the Jin Mao, already rise up, in an urban scene that is transforming fast, with plots still to be built on and a fabric where the new towers loom up in isolation. Beginning with this complex architectural context that is in the process of formation, the project concentrates on the integration of the new eastern financial zone of Lujiazui in the vast financial district of Shanghai, bringing out the possibilities of a compact urban configuration that is capable of incorporating the future towers into a coordinated design for the city. The qualities of the project that have enabled it to win the international competition, first of all establish a network of public spaces extending along the sides of the monumental axis of Century Boulevard, regulating the elevation of a new city core with an orthogonal grid, a new centre for service sector activities with attached services and residences, consisting of towers integrated into a clear urban morphology. Pedestrian only streets, plazas, tree-lined avenues and avenues of water distribute the alignments along the regulating grid, its rhythm marked by blocks designed as bases that are raised 20 metres with a green covering. Containing services, commerce and various facilities, the bases guarantee the ground level a high level of use by the collective urban life and avoid the residual spaces with no identity that are normally produced by the isolation of skyscrapers. The towers rising from the bases can therefore take on forms rich in architectural variations, yet respecting an urban structure that is well defined by the blocks and by their alignments of the road layouts. This philosophy of a “city of skyscrapers” measured at ground level by human steps and proportions suitable for social life is entrusted to three large malls, or parallel avenues, over 70 metres wide, with the city mall (a sequence of plazas with facilities) at the centre and at the sides a water mall and a green mall, intersected on the front facing the river by a tree-lined avenue. The general plan also sets itself the objective of merging four general levels and making them coexist in the scheme: the level of the pedestrian city at ground level; the lowest level (at -7.50) where the service roads, technical spaces and parking areas, plus a commercial promenade by the new canal, are located; the level of the blocks (at +20), where a further green mantle stretches out; finally, the various heights of the towers that will rise up from the blocks. The project for the new zone with a prevalently service function requires the support of a strong infrastructure: two underground motorways and five underground railway lines will avoid mobility jams, guaranteeing the use of the area to over 150 thousand people at the same time. On the basis of quantitative parameters that envisage flows of these dimensions for a surface zoned for building of over 2 million m2, the city core of Lujiazui is prefigured as a genuine new urban pole. For this the project envisages around half the surface being for service sector use in a strict sense, and the other half being divided up between hospitality services, commerce and entertainment, with hotels, residences and the insertion of structures to host exhibitions and performances. This functional structuring, combined with the centrality conferred upon the large public spaces, will favour the use of the area throughout the entire day, attracting diverse social sectors of the Chinese metropolis.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...upload_id=1465

Last edited by z0rg; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #211
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

I'll put the renders in another post because they are too wide, so you can read the text without trouble.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #212
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Nice plan, too low skyscrapers and too low density. Let's hope the result wont be so modest.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM   #213
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Atkins To Turn Abandoned Quarry Into Hotel
Published on 2007-07-27
Imagine a flooded opencast quarry near a bustling city. It's not normally the sort of place you'd expect for a luxury hotel but British design firm Atkins have come up with a solution for what is one of the largest holes in the ground in China reaching almost 100 metres deep.

Called the Hanging Gardens Hotel, the project is designed around the concept of water, both real and imagined which takes an existing water feature and adds the sculptural representation of a moving one to it enlivening what was previously dead.

Occupying a sheer cliff side in the Songjiang quarry close to Shanghai, the hotel resort curves concavely around the rock-faces rising to 19 floors of luxury accommodation above the water-line.

There is also set to be two levels of accommodation below the waterline with rooms having Perspex glass that will give them clear views underwater, something more befitting the lair of a James Bond baddie.

The two main hotel blocks are separated by a glass atrium that cuts through them as if it is a flowing waterfall whilst the top level is linked to a pod more like an Ewok's hut that is cantilevered right out over the cliff and above the water and will offer pursuits such as bungee jumping for those who don't mind getting the tip of their nose wet.

Other leisure options on offer will include the obvious rock climbing opportunity, boating, a covered swimming pool with the cliff-side still included and walkways suspended above the water for a nice moon-lit stroll.

Guests will be accommodated in the 400 hotel rooms and there will be the usual corporate hospitality of conference areas for up to a thousand people, a banqueting centre and numerous restaurants for diners who like a view with a difference.

The entire scheme is aimed at being environmentally friendly with photovoltaic panels on the roof and a heat pump with energy extractor in the water. Even the atrium has been planned to help energy efficiency by not only being a conservatory with large amounts of vegetation but also working as circulation passage for air heated by the sun.

What the Hanging Gardens Hotel offers more than anything isn't luxury accommodation for guests with massive bank accounts but the hope that these industrial scars we have cut deep in the earth into can be transformed into something a bit more worthwhile than watery holes polluted with heavy metals.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1030

Largest renders ever seen on this project!

OMG! This is awesome, I hope its going to get built! Any news? This design is so unique.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #214
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
I guess some new lines will be elevated, they are constructing a double deceker bridge over the Huangpu which includes elevated light railways. Also, there is no reason to spend a lot of money in underground subway for the suburbs I think.

However, it is hard to say how many km will be underground, on surface or elevated. Even some of the existing lines have the three kinds, like metro line 4.

Btw, I think we are seeing just the first stages of Shanghai metro planning. The planned gird, even in the maps showing 22 lines, is still too dispersed. Even in the center there are many areas which will be too far away from the closest line. So, I suppose they'll go on meshing the gird constructing more and more lines in the future. Notice that Shanghai is a very dense city, it really needs a dense metro gird.
Well I mean I was thinking about suburban grade-level rail like metro north or LIRR that go by timetables and serve very far outlying suburbs like Chongming. That should be very cheap shouldn't it?

By the way, speaking of density, I saw in the Shanghai metro map thread in the Chinese Mainland Projects and Construction forum that each individual county (like Fengxian or Songjiang or Qingpu) will have relatively dense networks in it of themselves. So are they shown on the 22 line map or are these even grander plans?

I understand what you are saying. These are plans for only 2020. I mean one thing that bothers me is Shanghai's lack of 4 lane express train setup. For a city as huge as Shanghai, you can't possibly expect someone to ride from Qingpu to downtown and have to sit through every stop right? Hopefully, metro planners will take this into account.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:31 AM   #215
kix111

@ z0rg: awesome renders and informations! finally they are removing those red colored roofs low rises!!!!!! i always hated them just nearby the biggest CBD in shanghai. A few towers in the plan looks 200+ and most will at least be 180+ Although the densty seems low, but there are a lot of greens! shanghai needs more green areas

annd do you see those 4 dense ~200m highrises near huangpu river? where they just removed the shipyards. Those are included in this render too, hope it will be reality soon

@zergcerebrates, i have heard the hotel is u/c and iwll be completed in 2011? or 12? not susre, but in the future

Quote:
Well I mean I was thinking about suburban grade-level rail like metro north or LIRR that go by timetables and serve very far outlying suburbs like Chongming. That should be very cheap shouldn't it?
lol thats not subway, thats train. The 950km will be excluded from that of sure!

Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM   #216
drunkenmunkey888

Shanghai doesn't have any train plans at this time does it?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #217
kix111

why whould you want trains? we want maglevs :p

Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:12 AM   #218
drunkenmunkey888

well if this is a serious question then, conventional commuter trains are cheaper for commuter, more cost effective, more manageable, easier to serve huge volumes of customers, etc. Plus, with Shanghai's huge size, local metro is simply not efficient enough. It needs either commuter rails or 4 track express service, neither of which seems to be in the planning stage. Despite Shanghai metro's planned size, if neither of these options are being considered, then the huge 970 km system might become a stale, bulky, slow, inefficient broken arm.

By the way, love the new Lujiazui. Its good to see Shanghai plan more aesthetically pleasing 200m box towers rather than experiment with hideous, deformed monstrosities that sprouted in the old Lujiazui. This kinda reminds me of Shinjuku.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #219
kix111

the boxes are just giving you an idea of how tall the buildings are and how many buildings are there.

there will be a specific design to each building later on i think

Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #220
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Nice plan, too low skyscrapers and too low density. Let's hope the result wont be so modest.
yes agree, the towers are much too small and too much space between them.

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai