daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #2481
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Shanghai DreamCenter (Dreamworks' Theme Park)

Master Plan and Aerial Perspectives from Shanghai DreamCenter's Official Website (English Version)

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2482
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Shanghai DreamCenter (Dreamworks' Theme Park)

Renders from Shanghai DreamCenter's Official Website (English Version)

Old November 6th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #2483
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17804

You have already created a Dreamcenter thread in the General Urban Developments section. Please don't post redundantly in here.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #2484
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
You have already created a Dreamcenter thread in the General Urban Developments section. Please don't post redundantly in here.
Keep in mind that not everyone is checking all sections and threads.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #2485
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Keep in mind that not everyone is checking all sections and threads.
We should cross-reference projects rather than repeat content being posted. Otherwise, there is no need for subsections to begin with.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2486
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Lingkong SOHO near Hongqiao Airport designed by Zaha Hadid - 凌空SOHO
(It is fully owned by Beijing-based SOHO China Group)

Photos were taken by SOHO China's Chairman Pan shiyi from sina weibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSJV5 View Post
凌空SOHO by panshiyi weibo

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #2487
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Zaha Hadid seems to be churning the same thing over and over again. It is getting predictable and boring.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #2488
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

We should cross-reference projects rather than repeat content being posted. Otherwise, there is no need for subsections to begin with.
It worked fine so far and I'm sure it will work fine in the future.
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #2489
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Just to give a bit more context. The moderation team has discussed people cross-posting the same content in individual project threads and the main city threads, and have come to a conclusion that this is not the intention since there are sub-sections here. There have also been discussions raised on whether the same poster that duplicates such postings despite knowing there is a specific project thread on whether that constitutes spamming or propping up post count.

Old November 9th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #2490
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Just to give a bit more context. The moderation team has discussed people cross-posting the same content in individual project threads and the main city threads, and have come to a conclusion that this is not the intention since there are sub-sections here. There have also been discussions raised on whether the same poster that duplicates such postings despite knowing there is a specific project thread on whether that constitutes spamming or propping up post count.
I understand the good intention behind this but this will simply result in less publicity and people being less aware of the projects. Which is not a good thing.
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #2491
Shanghainese

Likes (Received): 91

I think, some projects are not urban enough. To much green Nature. It should be more build like the inner city. The Projects should be stand closer at the streets like New York or London. Shanghai needs more density at his projects at the outside of the inner ring. The green ideology is a destruction of urban city feeling.

By the way, zaha hadidīs project doesnīt look good. it looks horrible.

Dreamworks Center looks fantastic with the little buildings, but it lacks the connection to the urban streets. It appears like an Island and this is not good. Urban space needs the connection to the city.

I expect more from a city like shanghai, which wanted to be the best city on earth.
The cause of the economic crisis is the policy of cheap money. Artificially low interest rates mean a culture of debt and inflation. This follow economic collapse. The profiteers of such a system speak a you that the causes are different. But that is not correct. Ludwig von Mises understood our monetary system. But the mainstream suppressed his findings.

www.misesde.org and www.mises.com

Last edited by Shanghainese; November 15th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Shanghainese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #2492
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghainese View Post
I think, some projects are not urban enough. To much green Nature. It should be more build like the inner city. The Projects should be stand closer at the streets like New York or London. Shanghai needs more density at his projects at the outside of the inner ring. The green ideology is a destruction of urban city feeling.
Can't disagree more. Building the outer city districts like they are in London or NYC would be a disaster. Even the inner cities in old European (and some American) cities are relics of the past built in accordance with the needs of 19th century and earlier days. It would be completely insane to do something like this in the 21st century city be it in China or elsewhere.
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #2493
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

And I bet people in the 19th century were complaining about how horrible their urban systems were compared to the glorious medieval corridors. And the medieval people complained about how their city centers were horrible compared to the humanistic hut villages of their past.

Quote:
Zaha Hadid seems to be churning the same thing over and over again. It is getting predictable and boring.
Oh please. Name one building that looks like it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #2494
Shanghainese

Likes (Received): 91

Shanghai has TO MUCH green space. This is an religious ideology who destroyed the urban city feeling. TO MUCH new Buildings in Shanghai have a lawn on the street. This looks horrible. Shanghai needs narrow streets with retail stores, not ideological town planning. Shanghai should be like New York. New York must be the model for shanghai.

By the way, in austria, sometimes they build also lawns at the streets in front of buildings and it doesnīt looks good. There is no expression of creativity.

Shanghai needs New European Urbanism .
The cause of the economic crisis is the policy of cheap money. Artificially low interest rates mean a culture of debt and inflation. This follow economic collapse. The profiteers of such a system speak a you that the causes are different. But that is not correct. Ludwig von Mises understood our monetary system. But the mainstream suppressed his findings.

www.misesde.org and www.mises.com

Last edited by Shanghainese; November 16th, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
Shanghainese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2495
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghainese View Post
Shanghai has TO MUCH green space. This is an religious ideology who destroyed the urban city feeling. TO MUCH new Buildings in Shanghai have a lawn on the street. This looks horrible. Shanghai needs narrow streets with retail stores, not ideological town planning. Shanghai should be like New York. New York must be the model for shanghai.

By the way, in austria, sometimes they build also lawns at the streets in front of buildings and it doesnīt looks good. There is no expression of creativity.

Shanghai needs New European Urbanism .
Those are some seriously destructive ideas. I'm just thanking God (at least I would if there was one anyway) that views like this in Shanghai (or any other city in China for that matter) have no and, hopefully, never will have a place. New Urbanism is an urban cancer which should be eliminated not propped up. Thankfully Chinese urban planners are competent enough not to buy that.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #2496
ddes

Likes (Received): 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Those are some seriously destructive ideas. I'm just thanking God (at least I would if there was one anyway) that views like this in Shanghai (or any other city in China for that matter) have no and, hopefully, never will have a place. New Urbanism is an urban cancer which should be eliminated not propped up. Thankfully Chinese urban planners are competent enough not to buy that.
I feel like the situation needs to meet in the middle? I can totally understand Shanghainese's point of view, in that in Pudong especially, there is a lack of street and ground activity (most of the time taken up by individual plot landscaping). That is definitely missing in new districts, not just in Shanghai, but all over the world. The effect, while the intentions are good, sometimes get lost in translation and all you get is a very cold, unfeeling ground environment. I will admit, that when I was in Shanghai, I felt that despite the grandiose architecture, gorgeous landscapes, and urban planning, there seemed to be a lack of seamlessness.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #2497
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 332

My observations on this problem:
Like in Melbourne, there is absolutely no street life in the suburbs. Its supposed to be nice and quiet. Head to the nearest shopping centre for entertainment/shopping.
I feel like it was the same in Shanghai. Living in a gated apartment complex was very comfortable. If you want to go out, there are plenty of crowded districts for shopping/entertainment.

The views you get from buildings in a spaced out urban plan are much better. Most views in HK and NY are of just the building across the street. So if you view Shanghai urban planning from a suburban point of view, you would probably prefer the living conditions more. All imo.

VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #2498
Pansori
planquadrat

Double post.

Last edited by Pansori; November 17th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2499
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
My observations on this problem:
Like in Melbourne, there is absolutely no street life in the suburbs. Its supposed to be nice and quiet. Head to the nearest shopping centre for entertainment/shopping.
I feel like it was the same in Shanghai. Living in a gated apartment complex was very comfortable. If you want to go out, there are plenty of crowded districts for shopping/entertainment.

The views you get from buildings in a spaced out urban plan are much better. Most views in HK and NY are of just the building across the street. So if you view Shanghai urban planning from a suburban point of view, you would probably prefer the living conditions more. All imo.
I never put Lujiazui as the greatest example of urban planning.

There are some great examples though (in China and elsewhere): Guangzhou's Zhujiang New Town CBD. Houhai area in Shenzhen. Singapore CBD and Marina Bay.

The sad thing is that the New urban proponents don't actually differentiate between good and bad planning when it comes to spacious planning (wide streets, greenery etc.). They just religiously go against the general idea regardless if it actually offers good street life, street activities or not (I.e. their main point of argument). They don't even bother to actually look into it and instead just keep screaming how bad it is. That's rubbish. There are great examples of spaced out planning with all those attributes and anyone can check it out either in person or via street view.

There might be examples which were not so well implemented (Lujiazui being case in point I do agree on that) but there are great ones too. It's not about the planning ideology in itself but rather about how well it is implemented. Chinese cities are doing good in that area lately and there is absolutely no reason to criticize the fundamental idea of planning that they're implementing.
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #2500
Pansori
planquadrat

You may play around with new urbanism on a micro level. Just like you play around with decorating your private backyard but suggesting this as the fundamental planning concept on a large (say city district) or even citywide scale is outrageous and would result in Shanghai (or any large city) being dysfunctional. Like Dhaka or Lagos.

Tags
shanghai