daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #801
gonard

Likes (Received): 8

^
Cool, that should fit in good with the others on that block. Thanks zOrg
gonard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #802
tony8

Likes (Received): 0

Good Pictures ! But some problems occurred to pictures in this thread (Upgrade to Pro today !)
tony8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #803
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Singapore pavilion:

They might also do a "Denmark" and bring the Merlion to Shanghai.

Singapore may bring Merlion to Expo
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #804
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

what will happen to the pavillions after the expo?
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #805
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

You asked the same question and I already answered you 5 months ago in the Shanghai Expo thread.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=678884&page=6
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #806
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

indeed, and its still not clear to me.

how can they move so many huge structures to a museum? or will they keep the museum on that spot which would be quite a waste of space. Or will they only keep the good ones and destroy the crappy ones?
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #807
staff
囧!

The whole expo site (which is not that big after all) will become a "museum", as I understand it. No buildings will be moved.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #808
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Posted by moyan808 in xitek.

Cool pics of One Lujiazui, formerly known as Development Tower. These pictures are something like 1 year old anyway.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #809
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

pudong will look so gigantic in 10-15 years. but i really hope for another supertall in the cluster
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM   #810
staff
囧!

Landmark hotel to reopen this year
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #811
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

^ That's cool. What a fantastic corner piece! What makes Shanghai better than most of the other over-developing cities is the legacy of art-deco and neo-classical architecture. They lend the city a historical texture that's completely lacking in, say, Dubai. I once read that Shanghai has a larger stock of art-deco buildings than any city in the world outside the USA. I'm not necessarily convinced that that's true. I saw a ton of art-deco buildings in Calcutta and Bombay and I think London probably has about the same amount too. However there's no doubt that Shanghai has a lot, and it contributes greatly to the city's romantic appeal. I'm pleased to see that these charming buildings are being recycled rather than just destroyed to make way for yet more glass and steel.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #812
staff
囧!

They say that Shanghai has the largest collection of art deco buildings (ie. not skyscrapers) in the world.

95% of the art deco in Shanghai is very subtle and mainly 1-2 story buildings.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM   #813
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
They say that Shanghai has the largest collection of art deco buildings (ie. not skyscrapers) in the world.
People may claim that but IMO it's definitely not true. Some city-boasts are myths. I mean did anybody actually go and methodically count all the buildings in every city? I very much doubt it! I've explored Shanghai quite a bit over several visits and I discovered both clusters of art-deco, and random buildings scattered around the city. There is undeniably a large stock. However there's still nowhere near as much as in Chicago or New York. Other Asian trading cities that were booming at the same time also built a lot. I mentioned that Bombay and Calcutta have a comparably large stock of art-deco. Cairo and Tel Aviv also have art-deco suburbs and hundreds of art-deco commercial buildings and mansion blocks. Latin American cities like Rio and Havana are also well stocked. Hong Kong and Singapore used to have a lot of art-deco buildings but far less were preserved there - especially in Hong Kong where there's a chronic shortage of flat land. London has preserved a lot of art-deco. However there are no concentrations as in Shanghai nor is there much art deco suburban housing. London's are dispersed throughout the metropolis and the individual buildings are generally surrounded by buildings in other styles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
95% of the art deco in Shanghai is very subtle and mainly 1-2 story buildings.
Yes I am aware of that. Some of the residential art-deco mansion blocks resemble similar ones in London (I used to live in one). Older Kowloon mansion blocks also have subtle curved corners etc. Shanghai's very low-rise buildings, such as in the former French Concession or in older residential districts, resemble those art-deco/bauhaus suburbs in Tel Aviv and Cairo. Unfortunately a lot of that has been destroyed in Shanghai.

Last edited by Langur; April 3rd, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:42 AM   #814
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6216

Time article on Shanghai, it quotes the city as having the most in the world:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...592586,00.html

as does the Telegraph as 'probably the most extensive art deco landscape in the world':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/a...--for-now.html

But like you say there are no solid numbers, and they are very threatened. However its true many art deco examples,
although prolific in the centre are even more concentrated in places like Hongkou etc on the outskirts of the inner city.
Its not all just the Bund or the French Concession.

Also many buildings are very 'blended in' and are not so overtly art deco. In Miami and the Bund etc they have been restored,
repainted and lit at night. In Shanghai much of it crops up like this outside the tourist centre:

image hosted on flickr

www.flickr.com, www.travelswithsheila.com

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

www.flickr.com

image hosted on flickr

www.mdpl.org
image hosted on flickr

www.flickr.com
image hosted on flickr

www.flickr.com

and there are thousands of art deco residential blocks 'hidden' among the shikumen and midrise areas

image hosted on flickr

thanx to olivepixel, www.skyscraperpage.com

completely disguised:

www.olivepixel.com
image hosted on flickr

www.flickr.com

also, if you look carefully out of the thousands of shikumen lanes that make the city appear brown from the air (they are brown roofed),
you'll see many of them are not the usual historic facade, but are art deco:

www.olivepixel.com

and note the amount of old shikumen housing under the skyscrapers, they blanket the ground:

www.imageshack.us

Last edited by the spliff fairy; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:45 AM   #815
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:32 AM   #816
Langur
Londinium langur

@Spliff
That's an amazing panorama. Thanks for posting. However I disagree with the claims made. The articles in Time magazine and the Telegraph are both relating to the same book, with the claim presumably made by the author of that book. But I just don't think it's true. Sometimes myths can endure for a long time. Another one is that you can see the Great Wall of China from space. Actually you can't but how many millions of people around the world still believe it to be true? Now Shanghai obviously has a lot of art deco architecture, but some of the pictures you are posting are of buildings that are barely identifiable as art deco at all. Shanghai may have the most outside of the US (though as I mentioned I think Bombay and Calcutta, which also have loads, give it a run for its money) but just take a look at the panorama from the Empire State Building and you'll see that half of Midtown Manhattan is art deco. When you walk around the streets in New York or Chicago, it's around you all the time, and on the grandest scale. To be honest I don't think it's even close.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #817
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
@Spliff
That's an amazing panorama. Thanks for posting. However I disagree with the claims made. The articles in Time magazine and the Telegraph are both relating to the same book, with the claim presumably made by the author of that book. But I just don't think it's true. Sometimes myths can endure for a long time. Another one is that you can see the Great Wall of China from space. Actually you can't but how many millions of people around the world still believe it to be true? Now Shanghai obviously has a lot of art deco architecture, but some of the pictures you are posting are of buildings that are barely identifiable as art deco at all. Shanghai may have the most outside of the US (though as I mentioned I think Bombay and Calcutta, which also have loads, give it a run for its money) but just take a look at the panorama from the Empire State Building and you'll see that half of Midtown Manhattan is art deco. When you walk around the streets in New York or Chicago, it's around you all the time, and on the grandest scale. To be honest I don't think it's even close.
Shanghai certainly has a great collection of art deco architecture, probably the best in SE Asia, but wonderful as it is, it is unfair to compare it with NYC. Shanghai does have a few high quality art deco buildings, but NYC has a collection of incomparable art deco style skyscrapers, together with many other fine medium and low rise buildings. Aside from the lower Manhatten and Midtown district buildings, just think of the high rise residential buildings around Central Park.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM   #818
Langur
Londinium langur

^ I agree though I still think most visitors to Shanghai would be amazed at how many fine art deco buildings it has. They're scattered widely too so you come across them in places you don't expect. By the way I don't mean to be ****, but Shanghai is not really "SE Asia".
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #819
staff
囧!

I went to Chicago back in january and I can with certainty say that Shanghai has way more art deco buildings than Chicago has. Chicago's art deco collection seems quite confined to the inner city areas (which are small by Shanghai standards) whereas in Shanghai they are all over the place. The only viable contender to Shanghai is New York (and pre-war Tokyo, but that's all gone). Maybe Kolkata or Mumbai - I haven't been to any of those yet (will this summer probably).

And the fact that "Shanghai has many art deco buildings that are barely identifiable as art deco at all" is a phenomenon that fools many people into thinking these buildings aren't art deco when they in fact are. Just because they aren't as fancy or well kept as those around Huang Pu/the Bund or Chicago's Loop doesn't make them not being art deco.

Check out meckleychina's collection of art deco photos in Shanghai at Flickr (browse the set on the right side):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meckley...7600002461054/
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #820
Langur
Londinium langur

^ Oh well we're going to have to disagree on that one. I think the volume of art deco in Chicago is considerably greater than Shanghai and spreads over a comparably wide area. The impact is greater in part because the individual structures are so much larger. I also think New York has several times more and spread over a larger area.

Tags
shanghai