daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1221
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

That little DBS box is handsome.

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1222
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

What intersection is that "media street" going to be located on? Is it the development on Shi men 1 road, by Wujiang road?
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1223
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Shanghai theme parks welcome competition from new Disneyland
9 November 2009

It was a big day for 5-year-old Zhang Xinyu when her mother told her that Mickey Mouse and his friends will have a new home in Shanghai, just miles away from her home.

Dreams of millions of Disney fans in China will come true with the Chinese government's announcement on Nov 4 that a green light has been given to US-based Walt Disney Co to build a Disneyland theme park in the Pudong New District of Shanghai.

But some observers said the new park will pose one more threat to an already embattled amusement park industry.

The first batch of Chinese amusement parks emerged in the 1980s, but most of them have since closed due to fierce market competition and other factors.

"At that time, the government and operators didn't have enough experience, and these parks had a lack of integrated and suitable planning," said Tao Huai, an industry expert and China manager of US-based Premier Rides Inc.

Tao said operators didn't know how to make their parks focus on themes that would attract more tourists instead of just equipping the parks with standard attractions.

Success stories

The Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park and Shanghai Jinjiang Amusement Park were two success stories at that time, and they still are in operation today.

But as more Chinese people visited first-class theme parks in Europe and the United States, they cultivated more refined tastes, and many old parks back in China gradually lost their appeal, sources said.

Since the mid-1990s, new generations of theme parks have been built in China, including Happy Valley in Beijing, Chendu and Shanghai, Chimelong Park in Guangzhou, Shenzhen Overseas Chinese Town and Suzhou Amusement Land.

Additionally, two port cities, Shenzhen and Tianjin, each bought a retired Soviet aircraft carrier to transform into theme parks.

"Many of them imported advanced concepts of design and planning from abroad, along with fascinating attractions and a scientific management mode," Tao said.

"I could say that some of them are able to compete with their international rivals of medium size," he said.

That is one reason some theme park operators do not feel threatened by another Disneyland in China.

"We take Shanghai Disneyland not as a competitor, but as a foreign counterpart that will inspire us to provide better services," said Cui Zhineng, general manager of Jin Jiang Action Park in Shanghai.

Operators of Shanghai Happy Valley, which opened to the public on Sept 12, also said they would welcome another park to stimulate the local tourism market.

"As a home-grown theme park, we have more products based on the Chinese culture and cater to Chinese visitors, and we cost less," said Ren Kelei, chairman of OCT Enterprise Co, which runs Happy Valley.

Parita Chitakasem is research manager of the Singapore office of market research firm Euromonitor International.

"Competition is already hot in China's theme park industry, so Disney will be up against some very large players," Chitakasem said about the next Disneyland in China.

Local favorites

"In addition to the recently opened Happy Valley, there are many players, including Window of the World in Shenzhen, JinJiang Amusement Park, and Beijing World Park, to name a few, which continue to be favorites and have a strong attendance," she said.

China is home to about 430 medium-sized or larger theme or amusement parks, according to Chinese media reports. By comparison, there are 680 such parks in the United States.

A report by China Investment Consulting said that although North America is the most developed region for the theme park industry, Asia is the fastest developing region. The report added that China has the biggest market potential with at least 100 million possible visitors a year.

In the next five years, China's theme park industry could generate 10 billion yuan ($1.46 billion) in consumer spending, according to China Investment Consulting. And in the coming 25 to 30 years, China could accommodate 10 or more Disneyland-style theme parks.

"Disney's advantage will be that it will have good brand power, and consumers will be attracted and excited by the novelty value that it offers, particularly when it first opens," Chitakasem said.

"I think that Disneyland will complement, rather than compete directly with the variety of theme parks already there," she added.

The most successful parks "keep renewing themselves and expanding" to offer visitors more fun and value, she said.

"If parks become boring or stale in comparison to their competitors, they will lose out, even if the demand is there," Chitakasem said.

Disney's entry

The world's largest theme park company had been trying to enter the Shanghai market since talks reportedly began in the 1990s with Shanghai municipal government officials.

In 2002, Disneyland announced plans for Shanghai. But a short time later, government officials disclosed that the company had given up on its plan.

In 2006, the company confirmed that it was negotiating with Shanghai officials about a new theme park.

It was reported that initial construction of the park will cost 25 billion yuan, including hotels and shopping. The theme park will open to visitors as early as 2014.

Meanwhile, Disney is investing HK$6.25 billion ($806.4 million) in a major expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1224
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
What intersection is that "media street" going to be located on? Is it the development on Shi men 1 road, by Wujiang road?
Ahaha i laughed @ shimen 1 road
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1225
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

Yes, it seems to be in high quality. Nice tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
That little DBS box is handsome.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1226
Severiano

為什麼 就是石門一路阿
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #1227
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
為什麼 就是石門一路阿
It's Shimen Yilu and not the stupid mix of transliteration and translation Shimen 1 road.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1228
Severiano

Whateva, can anyone answer my question though? Is that development the empty plot on Shimen yilu ?
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1229
waiguoren

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, the Media street will be located at Weihai Lu (威海路), which is a crossroad of Shimen Yilu (石门一路). One of the construction projects is the Dazhongli project, but they are already starting with other constructions on this street.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1230
Severiano

謝謝儂
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #1231
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Quote:
謝謝儂

That was what President Obama greeting before he gave speech to the Chinese youth the day before yesterday when he was in Shanghai.

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1232
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
You know all of them

Hongqiao:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=757

Huangpu:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=804

Luwan:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=659326

Xuhui:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=456032

Songjiang:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=725

Hongkou:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=474885

Putuo:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=855730

And of course Pudong:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=391698

Also they said they may build some landmark tower close to the Expo Area, likely in the new Pujiang area. And I think there's some long term proposal in Dalian Lu, but these are only "ghost proposals" imo. Nothing serious.
These tall buildings in various districts should be built consecutively. They should be taller than Tokyo TV tower and the Shanghai Tower.
Some of these projects should include the tallest residential buildings and tallest TV tower.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1233
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
These tall buildings in various districts should be built consecutively. They should be taller than Tokyo TV tower and the Shanghai Tower.
Some of these projects should include the tallest residential buildings and tallest TV tower.
well its not all about height you see.
Maybe in Tokyo it is but i dont was a 101 effects. Shanghai is good the way it is.
When the skytree tops out its gonna look so out of proportion compared to the restof tokyo.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #1234
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Proposal for a competition for a tower in Jing'An, called "Jing'An Tower".

Jing'An Tower
Year: 2009
Height: 260m / 68fl
Size: 140.000 m2
Use: Office / Hotel (top 25 floors) / High-end flats
Architects: Tengbom / Nyréns (Sweden)

image hosted on flickr
Any idea where this project is located exactly?
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1235
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Should be in Northern Jing'An, close to Suzhou Creek.
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1236
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Me, z0rg and staff is trying to make a new updated overview of all the 150m+ projects in Shanghai.

I need all the help i can get!

I have made a list here of projects i don't have what i need yet. What i need is Project name, Height, Floors, Status and Exact location (location because i am trying to making a map, similar to z0rg's Chongqing map). If you know anything, please reply.

If you know its location, please show on google maps.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Buildings i do know everything about.
<21st Century Mansion 210 49
<China Merchants Bank Mansion 208 37
<Huamin Imperial Tower 258 63
<Shanghai Tower 632 128
<Shanghai IFC 260 60
<Taiping Financial Center 208 38
<Wheelock Square 298 58
<BMTower 220 50
<CITIC Pacific HQ & Mandarin Oriental 218 49
<CITIC Plaza 228 47
<Kerry Center Phase 2 260 58
<White Magnolia Plaza 319 66
<World Expo Harmony Tower 201
<Xintiandi Phase 2 305 68
<Dazhongli Project 250
<Xujiahui Center 380
<Zhenru Center 300+
<Grand Center 168 40
<Pudong Kerry Center 198
<1788 Standard Office Building 220 45

Buildings with missing information/renderings.
3)
Quote:
Yuexing Global Business Center 195 44 UC
4)
Quote:
Shanghai Putuo Development Pro
5)
Quote:
Towers at Puxi side of the Expo 161m 35etg UC
image hosted on flickr
6)
Quote:
Qibao maybe, and must be 150m+ Leftmost building which is UC in the panorama.
7)
Quote:
SHK project
8)
Quote:
New 250m, 57 floors announced. No renders.
9)
Quote:
Century Metropolis, 200m and 83m. No pics of the final design I think. It's being designed by SOM.
11)
Quote:
12)
Quote:
TIPS Tower (290m stale proposal)
13)
Quote:
Yueda 889
14)
Quote:
Huai Hai Zhong Road Project 32fl
15)
Quote:
X3-2 Plot 176.8m
16)
Quote:
17)
Quote:
Shun Hung Kai project in Huaihai
image hosted on flickr
18)
Quote:
Dead or alive?
19)
Quote:
Seems like there is another 200m+ project coming. No images.
20)
Quote:
Tangdong Block? Don't know how translate. 228m, 42 floors. Located close to Pudong Science Museum. Construction works start in December 2008.
21)
Quote:
Xujiahui film city
22)
Quote:
iBing (?) Business Building
image hosted on flickr
23)
Quote:
618 Xujiahui Lu project
image hosted on flickr
24)
Quote:
Project at Xinzhuang subway station, 180m~
25)
Quote:
image hosted on flickr
26)
Quote:
Shanghai Poly Plaza
27)
Quote:
Shanghai Ren(People) Hotel
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #1237
nenad_kgdc
Architecture Rules

Likes (Received): 46

Amazing projects!!
nenad_kgdc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #1238
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

i believe this thread by hdsghvoizp should be very helpful, many of the new buildings are planned in the suburban areas

also i believe moyan should be able to help :p

http://skyscrapers.cn/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1239
Severiano

Is that SHK project going to be done before the Expo? I know the tall building is topped out, but it looks like they are only half done with the structure facing the street. I doubt this will be finished by the time the Expo is happening. Line 10 subway is supposed to be there as well, I hope the station will be done in time.
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #1240
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

I like 16
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai