daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3021
Rollingstone Gather

Likes (Received): 36

Financial comparison between JLA and MAN.

I managed to dig out some financial info from the Liverpool Echo - thumbs up for them for a start.

Liverpool JLA managed to double its EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) level from £5m to £10.3m in the financial period.

During the same period Peel Airport Group invested £10.5m in improvements to JLA’s facilities.

The upgrade was reflected in a recent passenger satisfaction survey at JLA which showed that 95.3% would recommend the airport; while 65% declared themselves ‘very satisfied’ with airport facilities; and an impressive 73.1% were ‘very satisfied’ with security procedures at JLA which have previously been a source of criticism and which were specifically targeted in the upgrade.

Passenger figures for 2011 also showed improvement to almost pre-downturn levels, with a 4.4% increase to 5.25m passengers last year against 5.38m in 2008.

Within those figures Easyjet registered a 14% increase in annual passengers at JLA to a record 2.54m, while Flybe showed a 47% year-on-year increase to a record 175,000 passengers, although Ryanair saw its passenger levels fall by 4% to 2.25m last year.

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...#ixzz1t4wAWFKF

MAN performance:
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/53E11FF0F4168513802578E8005BD89D/$File/Annual_Report_and_Accounts_10-11.pdf

EBITDA rose from £110.6m to £111.8m

MAN has bigger EBITDA by a factor of 10, but its growth is only 1% compared to LPL which grew at 51%

As an investor you are always looking at returns - 51% looks pretty good
“If the decision is going to be made by the facts, then everyone’s facts, as long as they are relevant, are equal. If the decision is going to be made on the basis of people’s opinions, then mine count for a lot more". James Barksdale

Is this the right room for an argument?....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Rollingstone Gather no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3022
Martin S
Sadly not Portsmouth.

Likes (Received): 599

Environment impact comparison between JLA and MAN

These DEFRA noise maps show how the environmental impact with respect to aircraft noise is much lower at Liverpool than at Manchester. This is due to 66the smaller amount of traffic but mainly due to the planned alignment of the runway:

Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3023
world_rep
---GONE---

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
However, the efficiency of the runway and taxiway system is an important consideration and, Liverpool is now probably as efficient as an airport can be
I agree. On reflection, I probably got a bit too defensive on certain aspects, but, I do believe that MAN is as efficient as it can be for its needs, and the same for LPL. I was more trying to question on what basis people were saying 'LPL is more efficient than MAN', Just because something looks more complex, does not automatically make it inefficient. Like I say, both airports serve their needs well. Not perfect, but well.

Quote:
But the best one has to be the Manchester vs Miami city vs city contest. When some browbeaten citizen of Miami ventured to suggest that having Miami beach might be a point in his city's favour, he was reminded that Manchester was less than fifty miles from Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Ive personally never got involved in that sort of argument. mainly because I know Manchester is not Miami (or any other city), but more because when it comes to the actual city, Im not ashamed to admit I don't really care which city is bigger/better/richer, Im just interested in airports/airlines. (yes I have made the odd comment, but more because Ive felt mischievous, not because I care)

Quote:
And I bet they don't have donkey rides on Miami beach
Damn, was hoping for a donkey ride when I go next year. Why ruin the dream Martin! lol
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3024
world_rep
---GONE---

Quote:
These DEFRA noise maps show how the environmental impact with respect to aircraft noise is much lower at Liverpool than at Manchester. This is due to 66the smaller amount of traffic but mainly due to the planned alignment of the runway
With the greatest respect, this only tells half of the story.

The approach paths only show the final/first stages of flight, so for example, not shown in the LPL slide is the approach over the Cheshire area. I know and visit someone near Frodsham, and the aircraft for LPL do come quite low and loud over their house.

The same however, could be said for MAN, as some approaches bring the aircraft over Oldham/Ashton, which can be quite low and loud.

Secondly, its not only about traffic levels, but types of traffic. LPL is 97% made up of A319/A320/B737-800 aircraft. These are quite modern, quiet aircraft compared to the very loud B767's, B747's and A330's at Manchester.

Still, thanks for sharing Martin.
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3025
Martin S
Sadly not Portsmouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by world_rep View Post
With the greatest respect, this only tells half of the story.

The approach paths only show the final/first stages of flight, so for example, not shown in the LPL slide is the approach over the Cheshire area. I know and visit someone near Frodsham, and the aircraft for LPL do come quite low and loud over their house.

The same however, could be said for MAN, as some approaches bring the aircraft over Oldham/Ashton, which can be quite low and loud.

Secondly, its not only about traffic levels, but types of traffic. LPL is 97% made up of A319/A320/B737-800 aircraft. These are quite modern, quiet aircraft compared to the very loud B767's, B747's and A330's at Manchester.

Still, thanks for sharing Martin.
Quite agree World Rep, I used to live in Port Sunlight on
Wirral, which is well off the lowest noise contour for Liverpool but that was in the days of the Royal Mail flights and some of them seemed like they were going to come in the bedroom window.

In fact, one of the areas with most complaints about Liverpool Airport noise is Thornton Hough which is almost on the other side of the Wirral peninsula. However, it is a very quiet rural village and the low level of ambient noise makes aircraft that more intrusive.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3026
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1492

From the Echo -

Quote:
Charter holidays talks between easyJet and Liverpool John Lennon Airport

LIVERPOOL John Lennon Airport (JLA) could see the return of holiday charter flights following talks with budget carrier easyJet.

The airline, which announced half year results yesterday, said JLA currently has no charter market of any significance and is an ideal location for its plans.

Read More: Visit our constantly updated traffic and travel live blog

Paul Simmons, easyJet UK regional general manager said: “We are trying to create easyJet Holidays and Liverpool doesn’t have a charter market so we are trying to make our Liverpool operation more vibrant.”

JLA has not had a charter programme of its own for three years due to the increase in people arranging their own breaks on the internet.

The airline also pledged its future to JLA despite the rapid growth of its operations at neighbouring Manchester Airport over the past two years.

JLA handles 33 easyJet routes but Manchester now offers flights to 26 destinations.

However Mr Simmons said both airports can operate alongside each other.

He said: “It makes sense to have these two bases.

“The north west is the biggest aviation market in the UK outside London so a dual operating strategy like we have in Scotland at Edinburgh and Glasgow and in London is a strength not a hindrance. We are developing the north west as a market.”

He said the Liverpool base was doing well and announced a further increase in easyJet’s flights from JLA to the Isle of Man from six a week to 10.

“It is a strong route which we started a couple of years ago.”

He added: “Liverpool is a strong base for easyJet. We are very proud of it and it is one of our oldest bases.”

Yesterday easyJet yesterday announced a 27% reduction in its half year pre-tax loss of £112m, compared with £153m in 2011, despite an £87m increase in fuel costs in the six months to March 31.
From here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-30935698/
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #3027
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 201

Not like the Echo to get things wrong [easyjet and charter] is it?
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3028
Martin S
Sadly not Portsmouth.

I think the idea is that inclusive tour packages are developed using easyJet's scheduled flights. Manchester has always dominated this market but the latest passenger figures though otherwise healthy, are showing a double digit drop in the charter market.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3029
Rollingstone Gather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I think the idea is that inclusive tour packages are developed using easyJet's scheduled flights. Manchester has always dominated this market but the latest passenger figures though otherwise healthy, are showing a double digit drop in the charter market.
Is the charter market for the more older age group ? those that are not used to booking their own accomadation?
“If the decision is going to be made by the facts, then everyone’s facts, as long as they are relevant, are equal. If the decision is going to be made on the basis of people’s opinions, then mine count for a lot more". James Barksdale

Is this the right room for an argument?....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3030
Martin S
Sadly not Portsmouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone Gather View Post
Is the charter market for the more older age group ? those that are not used to booking their own accomadation?
I guess that is true RG - I went on a charter holiday with Riviera to North Italy last year and most people were, how shall I say, in their sunset years. However, I think that it also appeals to people with young families and anyone who just wants to go on a beach holiday and doesn't want the hassle of booking flights and accommodation separately.

The charter market (inclusive tour) has been in decline for some time but it is still a sizable chunk of the overall travel market.

It was a charter company (Direct Holidays) that started the increase in Liverpool Airport passengers back in the mid-90s - before the lo-cos appeared on the scene.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #3031
jets9

Likes (Received): 61

Goes without saying that the valuable LJA to Belfast route is a great asset for Liverpool and it's good to see the IOM route in good Easyjet hands but it does allow for mixed feelings......the Belfast routs is so busy that it does take up a disproportionate chunk out of the potential Easyjet capacity of 12? based airbus aircraft and there must be now one airbus tied down on the IOM route in the lucrative Spring/Summer months............30% of the Liverpool based fleet used for internal UK routes reduces the chances for development of European options.
jets9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3032
world_rep
---GONE---

I'm failing to see what easyjet holidays are trying to bring extra to LPL airport? Easyjet holidays have been bookable across all easyjet routes and bases for a long time now, so either this is just a marketing campaign to get extra passengers, or are they now fully chartering out whole aircraft for the holiday arm?
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3033
EuxTex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I'm failing to see what easyjet holidays are trying to bring extra to LPL airport? Easyjet holidays have been bookable across all easyjet routes and bases for a long time now, so either this is just a marketing campaign to get extra passengers, or are they now fully chartering out whole aircraft for the holiday arm?
Could it have something to do with the meeting (not acknowledged,) in early 2011, between Guinness Peat and easyJet?
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #3034
world_rep
---GONE---

On 2nd June, BA flight 2012 will fly the Olympic flame from LPL to the IOM. Aircraft will be the newly painted gold A319.
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3035
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
On 2nd June, BA flight 2012 will fly the Olympic flame from LPL to the IOM. Aircraft will be the newly painted gold A319.
That will be quite a sight to see the aircraft in that colour scheme.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3036
Martin S
Sadly not Portsmouth.

Quote:
I would love to know how they send a flame by passenger jet. Does the runner carry the flaming torch into the passenger cabin and, if so, how does that get past security?
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3037
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 201

They are using what looks like a miners lamp.
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3038
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1855

Vilnius link brings JLA further Baltic State connections

Wizz Air, the largest low fare, low cost airline in Central and Eastern Europe today commenced its latest service from Liverpool John Lennon Airport (JLA) with a flight to Vilnius, the capital city of Lithuania.

Flights to and from Liverpool now operate twice weekly on Mondays and Fridays departing at 12:55. Flights depart from Vilnius back to Liverpool at 11:15am.

This new destination becomes Wizz Air’s fourth route to be served from Liverpool having commenced operations from here in late 2004, complementing the airline’s flights operating to Warsaw, Gdansk and Katowice in Poland.

This latest addition to the network of European cities served directly from JLA, means that the Airport offers the region’s passengers comprehensive links with all the major cities in the Baltic states, complementing existing services to Tallinn in Estonia, Riga in Latvia and Kaunas also in Lithuania.

Vilnius is already proving popular as a value for money, City break destination for travellers who are on the lookout for new locations to explore. It is a modern, cosmopolitan European City with diverse architecture and a historical City Centre with timings of flights from and to Liverpool ideal for passengers looking to get away for a weekend break.

Like Liverpool, Vilnius is a former European Capital of Culture having taken over this status jointly with Linz in Austria in 2009, after Liverpool’s success the year before.

Wizz Air’s Corporate Communications Manager, Daniel de Carvalho, said:

“We are delighted with this new route from Liverpool John Lennon Airport. Our commitment is to deliver value for money routes at LJL and with Vilnius we now offer low fares to one of the best kept secrets in the Baltics.”
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3039
Rollingstone Gather

Ryanair hit 18 million passengers at JLA:

http://www.peel.co.uk/news/ryanairre...engermilestone

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3040
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Please don't take this the wrong way, the last line in the article may be of interest...

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...rkish-airlines

Quote:
He added that longer term the company might start flights from Liverpool but that was unlikely to happen within the next five years.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, airports of north england