daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old December 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #121
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

After NYC we now need Chigago, San Francisco, Toronto... and then onto the the Far East!!!!!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 29th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #122
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo View Post
After NYC we now need Chigago, San Francisco, Toronto... and then onto the the Far East!!!!!
I think we already have a weekly flight to Toronto in prospect. Actually, it isn't really Toronto it's a town called Hamilton but flyglobespan is marketing it as Toronto
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #123
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Great stuff... now the worst thing we could get is some 'strategic' framework for air transport development for 'the north west'... that would bring everything this side of the M6 to a juddering halt!
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #124
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo View Post
Great stuff... now the worst thing we could get is some 'strategic' framework for air transport development for 'the north west'... that would bring everything this side of the M6 to a juddering halt!
..... as in the Northern Way?
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #125
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Yes Blue, exactly that sort of statist/command led and contrived shit!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #126
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1670

I don't know whether this is relevant to us.....

Asian budget flights alliance

VIRGIN and Easyjet are to team up with an Asian airline to create the world's first budget global network, it was reported yesterday.

Richard Branson's Virgin and Easyjet's Stelios Haji-Ioannou will join forces with AirAsia to form a Malaysia-based alliance, according to reports in the country.

It quoted uniden- tified industry sources as saying that the new joint venture would first fly between Kuala Lumpur and Manchester, and Amritsar in India.

And the alliance - if it decided to fly to London as well - could also use Luton airport as a hub because Virgin already operated a rail link from there to central London.

Fares to Britain will be between £43 and £365, about half the price of a ticket on a regular airline, it added. It said the alliance would give Virgin and Easyjet access to Kuala Lum- pur's low-cost airport terminal, the gateway to a dream Asian hub for their Europe-to-Australia routes.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM   #127
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 46

[QUOTE=Paul D;11118619]Asian budget flights alliance

VIRGIN and Easyjet are to team up with an Asian airline to create the world's first budget global network, it was reported yesterday.

Richard Branson's Virgin and Easyjet's Stelios Haji-Ioannou will join forces with AirAsia to form a Malaysia-based alliance, according to reports in the country.

It quoted uniden- tified industry sources as saying that the new joint venture would first fly between Kuala Lumpur and Manchester, and Amritsar in India.

And the alliance - if it decided to fly to London as well - could also use Luton airport as a hub because Virgin already operated a rail link from there to central London.

Fares to Britain will be between £43 and £365, about half the price of a ticket on a regular airline, it added. It said the alliance would give Virgin and Easyjet access to Kuala Lum- pur's low-cost airport terminal, the gateway to a dream Asian hub for their Europe-to-Australia routes.

will be interesting too see how successful this is?

www.justgiving.com/trevorcaplisnyc08
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #128
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

What is the source for this story?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #129
liverpolitan

I dont know, it was in the free London papers this evening. I don't like this story one bit. LJLA is the low-cost hub, not Ringway.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM   #130
bluesnapper

The story went that the 'grouping' wants to fly into London but said Heathrow wasn't on the list because of the expense.

The favourite is Gatwick with Stansted and Luton possibles.

Manc only got a mention because Air Asia (one of the airlines said to be involved) has a commercial agreement with ManUre.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #131
Jongeman
van het noorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan View Post
I dont know, it was in the free London papers this evening. I don't like this story one bit. LJLA is the low-cost hub, not Ringway.
I think it's immaterial whether flights depart from Manchester or Liverpool, as far as most of the population is concerned. The choice is pretty good for all of us in the NW, and a bit shit for the environment. And also MAN's a low cost hub too, with bmibaby, Jet2, Skyeurope, Ryanair, Aer Lingus, Air Berlin, Hapag Lloyd, Thomsonfly, flyglobespan, flybe on the way.....etc

I can't quite work out what the attraction is for easyjet in this service, with no connections available at MAN, but plenty at LPL. That's a strange one.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM   #132
bluesnapper

This is taken from the article that reported the story;

“The landing cost at London's Heathrow Airport will be too expensive for a no-frills airline, but there is the possibility of landing at Gatwick, which has become a hub for several European low-cost carriers.

“But then again, AirAsia could give London a miss and go for Manchester, as AirAsia is a known brand there. It is the official Asian low-cost carrier for Manchester United,” said another industry insider.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM   #133
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeman View Post

I can't quite work out what the attraction is for easyjet in this service, with no connections available at MAN, but plenty at LPL. That's a strange one.
Just a theory so don't think i'm having a go, but easy have fallen out with the Peel Group over this charging for security business. Every year easy apply for a huge amount of slots at Manchester?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #134
bluesnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCITY View Post
Just a theory so don't think i'm having a go, but easy have fallen out with the Peel Group over this charging for security business. Every year easy apply for a huge amount of slots at Manchester?
Every year other airlines have moved into Manc with more routes so cutting down the options EZY may have there.

Roll-on more routes from Jet2 ex Manc
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM   #135
Jongeman
van het noorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCITY View Post
Yeah they do apply for loads of slots, it's commercially prudent to do so. But the chances of seeing EZY at MAN are slim. Too much competition. As far as falling out with Peel goes, that's just them chucking their toys out of the pram IMO.

EZY should stick to LPL........loads of money to be made and it gives us (me) bags of choice. It'll be even more attractive for me once Transpennine trains stop at Liverpool South Parkway.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #136
bluesnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeman View Post
It'll be even more attractive for me once Transpennine trains stop at Liverpool South Parkway.
From where?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM   #137
Jongeman
van het noorden

From East Manchester. Driving down the M56 then over Runcorn Bridge is a pain in the arse - you never quite know whether you're going to make the flight on time. Same with the M62/Knowsley Expressway.......but that's the same travelling the other way towards MAN.

Parking costs can be prohibitive too, it's cheaper to get a cab to Manchester for me, but a train would make all the difference. (Sometimes I have to use Liverpool, at other times Manchester).

The new Transpennine timetable (10th Dec to 19th May) is still not showing any trains stopping at Lpl Parkway, oddly enough. What was the point in building an interchange there? Maybe they expect people to change onto Northern Rail at Warrington Central.

Last edited by Jongeman; January 3rd, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM   #138
bluesnapper

There are two per hour from Oxford Road into Liverpool South Parkway.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #139
Jongeman
van het noorden

Are there? Cool. You'd think though that with so many of LPL's passengers coming from all over the North/Yorkshire and Midlands, all trains would stop at this facility. I suppose it's too logical.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #140
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

I think the intention is that eventually all trains (except Virgin trains to London) will call at South Parkway.

Tags
airports, airports of north england