daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #81
TonyAnderson

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Yes, it received a lot of media coverage, and it's the stupidest thing. It's like boycotting the entire Middle East because of suicide bombers.
It's more like boycotting the country of Italy because of the Catholic Church being there. Or the state or Arkansas because Wal-Mart resides there. Really stupid to be honest, and shows intolerance can go both ways.

On a lighter note, Salt Lake City is having a huge building boom and I'll see if I can keep this thread more updated than it has been.

Last edited by TonyAnderson; March 2nd, 2010 at 06:47 AM.
TonyAnderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #82
bob rulz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Just stopped by to congratulate you all on your national championship. Looks like you've got some cool projects going on here too, I'll have to browse this thread.
Most of the projects have stalled though because of the recession. City Creek Center in downtown, as well as another skyscraper under construction downtown, are the only urban developments that are continuing. Most of the developments have been stalled by a year or possibly more, and some of them are in danger of not being completed (particularly the Sugarhouse development).

On another note, I'm not sure if Daybreak has been mentioned in here, but that is the most impressive suburban development in Utah by a huge margin. I envision that sometime in the future it could be the center of suburbia in Salt Lake County or even like a 2nd downtown area...if I go out there again I shall be sure to take some pictures. I'm not even sure there's surburban developments in other cities quite like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
That will never, ever happen. The Mormon Church HQ building is not hideous and I don't think it's ugly. Mormons would never say that the building is ugly. Only a non-Mormon would think of that suggestion. If you said that, then the Mormon Church would be angered. Plus, it's too much of a major feature of the Salt Lake skyline to pass. If the Mormon HQ dies, it would be like post-9/11 New York or Detroit after the JL Hudson Building died.
I know Mormons who would probably admit that it's an ugly building, because it really is. It's not like they can't have an objective view on the aesthetics of the building. On the other hand, you're completely right that it will never be demolished. The only way I could envision it happening is if the LDS Church decides to build a new HQ building, but even then it would probably be bought and occupied by someone else.
bob rulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #83
John Martin

Likes (Received): 0

I neither hate nor love the building, though I wouldn't want to see it demolished. There are some things I like about it, the lobby is pretty cool, I think it could definitely use some updates though. For one, I wish the exterior were a different color, gray most likely. It just doesn't match the other buildings on Temple Square . . . like the old church headquarters which is granite. I wonder if they could just repaint it . . . though I'm not really sure if that would make it look much better. I also think the north side could stand to have those black bars replaced on the stairways, maybe with aluminum like they have at the Marriot Marquis in New York. I would like it if they just gave it a completely new glass facade, but that to me just doesn't sound realistic unless it cut climate control costs or something.

I'm surprised that they haven't built another tower already, the current one was too small by the time it was finished, so it seems like the church could easily fill another, much larger building right away, without vacating the current one.
John Martin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #84
notreactionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
That will never, ever happen. The Mormon Church HQ building is not hideous and I don't think it's ugly. Mormons would never say that the building is ugly. Only a non-Mormon would think of that suggestion. If you said that, then the Mormon Church would be angered. Plus, it's too much of a major feature of the Salt Lake skyline to pass. If the Mormon HQ dies, it would be like post-9/11 New York or Detroit after the JL Hudson Building died.
I don't think it would be quite that significant of a lose but it would still be quite detrimental. I think that it does add to our skyline. It's not as interesting as the Wells Fargo building or the Chase but it has it's aesthetic pleasures. Also it's an office tower that seems to be nicely built. I don't believe we should get rid of it because, even during the recession, office vacancy rates are kind of low. Getting rid of it makes no since what so ever.

Also, I can not wait for the Market Station development to start. That will be such an AWESOME development when it's done especially coupled with the development in sugarhouse that is being done by a company that I believe is called Red Rock.
notreactionary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #85
notreactionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I neither hate nor love the building, though I wouldn't want to see it demolished. There are some things I like about it, the lobby is pretty cool, I think it could definitely use some updates though. For one, I wish the exterior were a different color, gray most likely. It just doesn't match the other buildings on Temple Square . . . like the old church headquarters which is granite. I wonder if they could just repaint it . . . though I'm not really sure if that would make it look much better. I also think the north side could stand to have those black bars replaced on the stairways, maybe with aluminum like they have at the Marriot Marquis in New York. I would like it if they just gave it a completely new glass facade, but that to me just doesn't sound realistic unless it cut climate control costs or something.

I'm surprised that they haven't built another tower already, the current one was too small by the time it was finished, so it seems like the church could easily fill another, much larger building right away, without vacating the current one.
Isn't there a tower being planned for City Creek Center?
I believe I heard about it being 400+ feet.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #86
notreactionary

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...streetcar.html
Sugarhouse light rail may be built far sooner then previously thought.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #87
TonyAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Most of the projects have stalled though because of the recession. City Creek Center in downtown, as well as another skyscraper under construction downtown, are the only urban developments that are continuing. Most of the developments have been stalled by a year or possibly more, and some of them are in danger of not being completed (particularly the Sugarhouse development).
Yeah but the City Creek Center is absolutely huge and takes up a large chunk of the downtown. It features two high-rise condo towers (one 32 floors, the other 26) as well as numerous retail and restaurants.

The other high-rise is 222 South main which is about 22 floors. SLC is booming during the recession.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM   #88
4miGO!!!
GeNtLe UsEr

Likes (Received): 382

Hey, guys. Ill spend some time here on your forum, if you dont mind... Ive got a couple buddies from the city, so id like to get as much as possible about the place.. Its infrastructure, high-rise building, development in all.. Is this the only thread to get the citys news?
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:27 AM   #89
TonyAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4miGO!!! View Post
Hey, guys. Ill spend some time here on your forum, if you dont mind... Ive got a couple buddies from the city, so id like to get as much as possible about the place.. Its infrastructure, high-rise building, development in all.. Is this the only thread to get the citys news?
Most the Salt Lake development news goes on at SSP (skyscraperpage . com).
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #90
arkhitektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Most the Salt Lake development news goes on at SSP (skyscraperpage . com).
The forums over there have gone to pot. Hopefully people will come and post here instead.
arkhitektor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #91
TonyAnderson

It'd help if they made a dedicated Mountain West region instead of grouping all the states into the west. I think this forum is more internationally based.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #92
TonyAnderson

Update, From UtahUrbanForum.com

222 South Main, completed December 2009:

The gleaming new office building at 222 S. Main in Salt Lake City, on which construction started before the state and national economies headed downward, opened for business in December. For owner Hamilton Partners, filling the 425,000-square-foot downtown structure will be a challenge, but there is progress.

City Creek Center, Tower 1:

My own

City Creek Center, The Regent (tower 5):
image hosted on flickr

micah555 (flickr)

City Creek Center Mall:

John Martin

Zions Bank Financial Center, Provo Utah :

My own
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM   #93
TonyAnderson

March Update

Salt Lake City, Utah:

The Regent - Condo Tower

image hosted on flickr

Salt Lake City, Skyline by SheldonPhotography, on Flickr

Artspace Commons

Urbana on 11th

Provo, Utah:

Utah County Convention Center

Last edited by desertpunk; January 14th, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #94
TonyAnderson

April Update

Salt Lake City update:

Salt Lake City's evolving skyline

image hosted on flickr

Graham Ramsey http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamr...n/photostream/

City Creek Center 50% complete

Promontory:
image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/...53703402_b.jpg Micah55555

The Regent
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3070923...82114/sizes/l/ Micah55555

Skybridge

Deseret News

Six Gateway Office Tower announced

http://www.downtownrising.com/projec...ay_project.php

Last edited by TonyAnderson; April 1st, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #95
Gerasim
Gerasim

Why are there the building's windows in color of green? Or they're artificial ones?
Gerasim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #96
TonyAnderson

In the very last picture? That's a rendering, not the actual building.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #97
ChicagoFreak96

Likes (Received): 5

I was actually just in SLC yesterday, Saturday, and Friday and I saw the new City Creek Center Residential Tower 1 is almost finished and that The Regent is under construction and will be finished this year too! BTW, I also got plenty of pics of the City Creek Center but not too many pics of The Regent! Lol!
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #98
TonyAnderson

Were you there for conference? What did you think of the developments?

Both are pretty close to being fully clad, though neither will open until sometime next year. The Richard's Court portion of retail and condos is open though.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #99
ChicagoFreak96

Likes (Received): 5

Yes, I was there for conference! I thought the developments were great!
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM   #100
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 195

My girlfriend and I just moved to Portland and on our way across the country (from NC) we stopped in SLC for a couple days because two of our best friends live there. We were both completely blown away as to how awesome this city is.

The scenic beauty is outstanding. The mountain view from pretty much everywhere is stellar and the Great Salt Lake is the shiz! We went out to Antelope Island and had a blast hiking around. I heard a lot of SLCers have never even been there... that's CRAZY! What an amazing place - even if I was almost killed by a buffalo.

We ate breakfast at a place called Eggs in the City - totally kickass. The funky vibe going on in that neighborhood reminded me of Brady Street in Milwaukee or the Pearl District in Portland or (even though this is a bit of a stretch) the bohemian side of Greenwich Village in NYC. Point is, that hood rocks.

Anyway... kudos to you, Salt Lake City. Your city is a fine piece of urban ass.

image hosted on flickr

Tags
salt lake city