daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #1
elliott

Likes (Received): 8

Tyne and Wear Metro

I don't think they'd build an extension to the metro. Its only been about 3 years since the £200m link to sunderland was built, imagine if Newcastle got more cities like Leeds, Manc and Brum would be up in arms.

The system has 58 stations, 700 staff and 37 million passengers each year and at 25 years old it needs money which Mr Darling has to provide. However, i think its will be gettin new ticket machines next year and barriers similar to London Underground. Then theres the new trains from Bombardier in a few years time.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #2
nicksanderson

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott
I don't think they'd build an extension to the metro. Its only been about 3 years since the £200m link to sunderland was built, imagine if Newcastle got more cities like Leeds, Manc and Brum would be up in arms.

The system has 58 stations, 700 staff and 37 million passengers each year and at 25 years old it needs money which Mr Darling has to provide. However, i think its will be gettin new ticket machines next year and barriers similar to London Underground. Then theres the new trains from Bombardier in a few years time.

The new trains and the barriers will be good but I'd love it if they built the following extensions:

1. Replace the local services between Durham and Newcastle with stops at
Chester-le-Street, Birtley and both ends of the Team valley with fill-in stations to be added later - it's unbeleivable that the biggest employment area in the area (Team Valley) has a railway running past it but no station! The line would split after the current Gateshead Central stop with a new tunnel branching Westwards to join up with the ECML.

2. Taking over or complementing the services to the Metro Centre from Central station, maybe on the Blaydon and onto Hexham

3. Running trains from the new Northumberland park station to Ashington and Blyth on the currently freight only line which is still linked into the Metro system.

1. would be very expensive, but bring massive benefits
2. Would be purely buying a few trains, painting massive "M"s on the side, increasing the frequency (have you ever waited for a train at the Metro centre!) and advertising the service - selling through tickets etc
3. Would require five or six deisel trains to be bought, the obligatory Ms applied, some signalling upgrades and the stations to be put back in where they have been demolished.

The two "cheaper" options would not need any electrification because the customers wouldn't mind that it was a diesel train rather than electric as long as it got them there on time!
nicksanderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #3
nicksanderson

Forgot to add - if those three were put in place for about 1 mile of new track the number of people able to use the Metro would go up by a factor of 2 or 3!
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #4
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 80

Tyne and Wear Metro

I thought i'd create a thread for the Metro.

All news developments should be posted in here, as should all discussion of the merits and faults of the network. we can also use this thread to map out ideas about expansion of the Metro and its future. This thread can also be used to discuss other local transport modes such as buses.

To get us going, pics of the New station at Northumberland Park:

some info on the station:

hursday 25 May 2006
Northumberland Park Metro

Britain’s fastest growing bus route in 2005 was Route 19, connecting the new Northumberland Park Metro station with Silverlink and Cobalt business parks, the Royal Quays residential and shopping area and North Shields ferry terminal.

Route 19 bus services are timetabled to connect with Metro, making changing between the two quick and convenient.

The bus uses its own dedicated road for part of the journey, and innovations include real time information systems in major office complexes along the route.

Northumberland Park, Metro’s 59th station, opened in December 2005 and is expected to become one of the busiest stations outside city centres.

It serves the heart of a new suburb of North Tyneside, with 1,500 homes within 800 metres.

A new village centre shopping area and 400 space Park and Ride car park are being developed alongside the station, to reflect modern commuter lifestyles.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 17th, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 147

Thanks for doing this Johnny.

More news on the future:

A new infill station at Simonside has been planned for many years, and is scheduled to open in 2007.

Further plans call for Haymarket station in Newcastle city centre to be renovated as part of an overall improvement of the site; it will include leisure and retail facilities. (There are some pictures of this somewhere)

As of 2005, there has been discussion of a public-private partnership to raise the funds necessary to modernize the Metro system.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #6
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Here are some more

Haymarket Metro station redevelopment:

What it currently looks like (originally posted by St. Anger):

The recently completed rebuild of Pelaw Metro station (originally posted by Talisker):

Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Four Lane Ends bus and and Metro interchange:

(all pics were googled)
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Newcastle Guy

Definately looks like one of the better ones
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #9
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 338

Best system in the UK outside London
Accura4Matalan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #10
johnnypd

Project Orpheus proposals, currently mothballed due to Labour's "value for money" nonsense.

http://www.projectorpheus.com/docs/O...MapCurrent.pdf
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #11
Newcastle Guy

I have just returned from Rome. Beautiful city, but their Metro System really made me appreciate ours. The trains were SOOOO packed, and some pick-pocket tried to rob my dad (they weren't succesfull though)

They had 2 different types of metro trains, the new ones which were nice, and old ones that were covered in graffiti.

I hope Tyne and Wear gets some new trains soon for the metro, we could do with them IMO.
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #12
stourbridgebaggie

Likes (Received): 0

I know this all is all pretty common knowledge but I have it on very good authority that it does have to be replaced within the next 5 to 10 years as the current system is exhausted especially the cars
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #13
johnnypd

Study to look at case for Leamside rail reopening
Filed 05/12/06

Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority is to commission a study into reopening the disused Leamside railway line to passengers.

At a meeting of the PTA, councillors responded to Network Rail’s proposals to remove the remaining track and associated infrastructure along the route of the Leamside line between Tursdale and Ferryhill, an issue raised by the PTA at its previous meeting, held in September. While acknowledging that reopening the route would not be achieved in the short-term, PTA members said the timeframes associated with transport and infrastructure planning dictate that provision must be made now for the transport needs of future decades.

According to the PTA, the Leamside corridor would allow improved intra-regional connectivity between the Teesside and Tyne and Wear city regions by the introduction of express train services calling at Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Durham (Belmont), Washington, Gateshead and Newcastle; local rail services connecting Fence Houses, Washington and possibly other locations with direct links into Newcastle; capacity for rail freight flows from developments at Nissan, the Port of Tyne and long distance flows of imported coal from Scotland; the possibility of Inter City services to and from Newcastle travelling over the route, and the potential for substantial park and ride facilities to reduce traffic levels into Tyneside from the south.

The study will be commissioned during the PTA's current financial year.

http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/story.php?id=3590

reopening this stretch of line gives rise to the possibility of integrating the leamside line into the Metro system, was 7 stations on the old piece of track and so that would create a loop of sorts from south Hylton to Pelaw via Washington.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #14
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
I know this all is all pretty common knowledge but I have it on very good authority that it does have to be replaced within the next 5 to 10 years as the current system is exhausted especially the cars
Nexus readies £0.5bn bid to overhaul Metro
Filed 01/11/06

Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive Nexus has appointed Mick Carbro as metro director as it seeks to finalise a bid for major capital investment in the Tyne and Wear Metro system.

The appointment is designed to allow further development of Nexus’s Metro re-invigoration programme – a £500m, 20-year overhaul of the local authority-owned light rail system.

Meanwhile, Ken Mackay, who has been director of Metro on the Nexus board, has been given the new job title Nexus director of rail and infrastructure. He will now step back from the day to day management of Metro to become the client manager for the procurement of all rail based services, including Metro and heavy rail. He will also be responsible for Nexus capital projects and continue to serve on the Nexus board.

Carbro, previously Metro operations director, will take overall charge of Metro for day-to-day purposes and answer to the Nexus board on service delivery. He will not be a member of the Nexus board.

Bernard Garner, director general of Nexus, said: “In supporting the principle of Metro re-invigoration, government will require that Metro services are procured as efficiently as possible, provide value for money and represent an acceptable risk to the tax payer.

“This change in roles will allow us to ensure we have sufficient resource available in the right place to drive the project forward and at the same time to make sure that Metro is managed in such a way as to position itself in the best possible position to respond to the challenges that lie ahead for it."

Nexus intends to submit a detailed procurement strategy to goverment early next year setting out how it intends to fund the Metro overhaul. The £500m programme will include the commissioning of a new fleet of Metro rolling stock to replace the existing fleet of 90 vehicles, new signalling, communications and ticketing systems, dualling of the last stretch of single track on the network and substantial improvements to stations.

Earlier this year the rail industry was invited by Nexus to express preliminary interest in Metro and propose investment models. The results of this work are being built into the procurement strategy, allowing Nexus to compare what the private sector has to offer against current and forecast performance by Metro.

http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/story.php?id=3508
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #15
Salif
I am very f**king nice!

Likes (Received): 27

A system relatively local to me aswell, a system with potential to be so much more then what it is.

I think a good oppourtnity is being missed with Teeside looking for their own light rail network aswell. Using the Durham Coast line and a re-opened Leamside line they could both be run as a North East S-Bahn style network.

But concentrating on the Tyne & Wear area it is frustrating that the tunnel hasn't been extended from St James Park towards the economically deprived west end of Newcastle and then up towards the airport.

Other extensions I'd like to see:

1) from Jesmond (the underground station) along the coast road corridor to the Silverlink retail park
2) again from Jesmond to Benton - Killingworth - Cramlington
3) Gateshead to the Metro centre and Team Valley
4) Gateshead - Washington - South Hylton
5) Regent Centre - Great Park
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #16
johnnypd

agree with a lot you say Salif. Tunneling through the West End would have a massive impact on the system and the economy of the area. i think the best route would be from St. James following the route of a lost street up to Westgate Hill for the first stop. only difficulties with this would be negotiating the old tunneling (gas pipes, Victoria Coal Tunnel) though this is by no means insurmountable and has been negotiated elsewhere. then perhaps cut-and-cover along the West Road, with various stops along the way (at the hospital for one). where it goes from there would be up to debate, though i think it would be ideal for stops at Denton Burn, Lemington/Newburn Business Park, and crossing the river to Blaydon. From there under-utilised NR lines could be used to bring the Metro Centre and Dunston into the Metro System. After that it may have to go underground again due to the heavy use of the existing NR line, for a stop at Bensham, before joining the loop at Gateshead.

a North-East S-Bahn is another good idea. The line going down the Durham Coast could be integrated into the Metro though, there's scope for another 5 or so stations South of Sunderland Station, for instance on Gray Road, in Hendon, Leechmere, Ryhope and finishing at Seaham Station.

I also think that a tram system would be useful, to go down Old Durham Road in Gateshead. Another could travel along the Quayside and then up into Walker.

Last edited by johnnypd; December 16th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #17
nicksanderson

I'm sure it's been mentioned before in relation to the Metro but I wish they'd re-open the goods line to Alcan to passengers - it's plumbed into the Metro network near Northumberland park and there's even a disused station in the centre of Ashington. You don't even need to electrify it - just buy a few diesel trains and have an interchange at Northumberland park.

Love the Metro - used to live in Newcastle and compared to Merseyrail that I have now it was fantastic
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #18
Salif
I am very f**king nice!

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksanderson View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned before in relation to the Metro but I wish they'd re-open the goods line to Alcan to passengers - it's plumbed into the Metro network near Northumberland park and there's even a disused station in the centre of Ashington. You don't even need to electrify it - just buy a few diesel trains and have an interchange at Northumberland park.

Love the Metro - used to live in Newcastle and compared to Merseyrail that I have now it was fantastic
I wish they would aswell (although I would argue in favour of electrification given it's ECML diversionary potential), but alas the furthest it's got is the talking stage.

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk........it's good to talk?

Yes if it leads somewhere.
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #19
johnnypd

Metro of the future

Jan 16 2007

By Peter Young, The Evening Chronicle

How North Shields station could look after a revamp

This is a first glimpse at new-look Metro stations and trains unveiled today as part of a £600m modernisation plan for the system.

But the proposals come with a stark warning that the Metro will grind to a halt without major investment.

The scheme includes a facelift for stations with new ticket machines and barriers to deter fare dodgers, refurbishing and eventually replacing the train fleet, and renewing tracks and signals, over 20 years.

A 300-page business case setting out the plans will be delivered to Downing Street next week by Metro operator Nexus and the policy-making Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Authority (PTA).

Ministers will be asked to back the project, which is the biggest shake-up since the Metro opened in 1980, and Nexus is warning that without the money the railway will gradually decline and close, with dire consequences.

Meanwhile, bids are being invited from private companies to run the railway which will be measured against an in-house bid from the Metro management. Thirteen organisations have been interviewed so far.

The bidder which provides best value for money will win, meaning the day-to-day operation of the Metro would go to a company or companies.

However, officials say this would not be privatisation because the railway would remain in public ownership and fares and levels of service would still be fixed by Nexus and the PTA.

In a report to the PTA, Bernard Garner, director general of Nexus, makes it clear what the consequences will be if the Government does not back the scheme.

"The Metro system provides the backbone of the public transport network and delivers significant social and economic benefits to the region," says Mr Garner.

"Without investment to renew and carry out major maintenance work the system will gradually fall into decline over the next 20 years, reducing performance and introducing safety risks to the system, all leading to eventual closure."

Officials estimate that the impact of closure would be 15 million extra car trips, a 20% increase in commuter traffic on major routes into the city from North Tyneside and east Newcastle, a 25% increase in traffic using the Central Motorway and Tyne bridges, and a three or four-fold increase in bus trips.

The successful bidder would be awarded a seven-year franchise to manage the Metro, with a possible two-year extension depending upon performance, before the contract went out to tender again.

Nexus employs around 1,000 people - 660 directly on the Metro - and unions are worried about the impact on jobs and conditions of employment.

In a statement, Nexus said: "In return for the level of investment we are asking for, Nexus will need to show Government it is getting the best possible value for money in providing Metro services.

"As such we will be assessing any bids from the private sector against the most efficient cost at which the current in-house management team could continue to deliver the service. How any bidder achieves the most effective cost is a matter for them but they would have a legal requirement to maintain working conditions and pension rights of staff transferred into their employment.

"We intend to offer a seven to nine-year condition to run Metro in which fares, the level of service and operating hours will be stipulated by the PTA.

"Passengers and taxpayers can only benefit from this. They will get a completely modernised Metro, they will know the operator provides the best value for money, and the elected members of the PTA, through Nexus, will still set the minimum standards of service at the same levels as today."

Nexus would have to provide 10% of the cost of the first two phases of the project and managers reckon they can raise this through investment by private developers in projects such as the commercial redevelopment of Haymarket station, and borrowing with the debt repaid within existing budgets.

Mr Garner said: "The Metro plays an important role in the prosperity of the region.

"The business case has attempted to articulate the economic and financial benefits of carrying out the maintenance and renewal work.

"The economic benefits are substantial and the financial appraisal demonstrates the value of investing at the right time. It makes neither economic nor financial sense to defer and ignore the need for investment."

At a meeting next Tuesday, members of the PTA will be asked to approve the business case for their first two phases of the project and a delegation will then travel to London to present it to ministers.

The bid is expected to get the formal backing of the Association of North East Councils on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Nexus is pressing ahead with several major schemes outside the bid including the privately funded £20m modernisation of Haymarket Metro station, which includes new shops and offices, the £7m upgrade of Sunderland station platforms and the installation of escalators, a new £3.2m station at Simonside, and improvements to Whitley Bay, Felling, Benton and Monkseaton stations.

---------------------------------------------------------

Time to move

Metro chiefs have a timetable for the modernisation scheme if ministers give the go-ahead by the end of 2007.

The first job would be to replace 248 outdated ticket machines which only take coins with new ones which would accept credit cards and notes.

To help tackle fare dodging, barriers similar to those on the London Underground, would be erected at 10 busy stations, Monument, Central, Haymarket, St James, Manors, and Jesmond, all in Newcastle, plus Gateshead, Heworth, North and South Shields.

The aim is to complete this work costing £20m by 2009 and make a start on trackworks, signals, stations, bridges and tunnels at a cost of £55m.

The second stage which involves most of the major engineering work, station improvements and the refurbishment of trains, would cost £255m and would happen between 2009 and 2017.

It would include the modernisation of North and South Shields stations, Heworth interchange, a new station in South Tyneside possibly between Jarrow and Hebburn or Monkton, dualling single line track between Pelaw and South Shields, and providing more park and ride spaces.

The work would continue into the final stage, between 2018 and 2026, when the Metro fleet of 90 trains would be replaced and the ticket machines would be updated again at a total cost of £290m.
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #20
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Good stuff, the metro is great but since the Sunderland extension the trains have started to show their age.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, light railways, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, rail, railways, trains, transport, tube, underground