daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland

Queensland Brisbane

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #4541
gho

Likes (Received): 7

The un-brisbane thing about the ad was that one person had a 'I love yiros' tshirt. Yiros is a term they love to use in Adelaide, but its non existant in Brisbane, you guys just call them kebabs.
gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4542
CapitolOz

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gho View Post
The un-brisbane thing about the ad was that one person had a 'I love yiros' tshirt. Yiros is a term they love to use in Adelaide, but its non existant in Brisbane, you guys just call them kebabs.
Unless you live in West End it seems.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/337/1542...Yiros-West-End

See we are multicultural! LOL
CapitolOz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4543
TOCC

Likes (Received): 184

Some of you are suffering from the effects of positive discrimination, do we need to be like South Africa where we introduce a quota to productions and sporting teams to avoid discrimination?

Its equally as backwards to be calling for positive discrimination as it is to be pushing for discrimination, shit next we will be calling for a certain percentage of politicians to be indigenous Australian regardless of merit.

I wonder what people would have been saying if it was made up entirely of aboriginals, Asians, Muslims and any other kind of minority group we can think of..
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4544
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Likes (Received): 723

Quotas are also standard in the United States for TV Shows and films.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #4545
Ausilencer
Live and Let Build

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
Well said..... but to be honest I wouldn't of wasted my time explaining yourself to him.
Ditto.
Ausilencer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #4546
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
Well said..... but to be honest I wouldn't of wasted my time explaining yourself to him.
Yeah, I needn't have bothered wasting my time apparently.

Quote:
Some of you are suffering from the effects of positive discrimination, do we need to be like South Africa where we introduce a quota to productions and sporting teams to avoid discrimination?

Its equally as backwards to be calling for positive discrimination as it is to be pushing for discrimination, shit next we will be calling for a certain percentage of politicians to be indigenous Australian regardless of merit.
I was trying to make this point as well. In my mind, true multiculturalism is when we see people just as people. Cultural background of course influences who a person is, but it shouldn't define who a person is.

As for positive discrimination, it can be just as bad as discriminating against people of a certain race or religion. We're still singling them out for what they are, and not just focusing on who they are.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4547
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 2

So while you guys all dream of these crazy hi end retail stores, what about something a touch more realisitic: A JB HiFi Concept Store like has recently opened down in Sydney? (It has all of the electronics side of things - TV's, Mobile Phones, Laptops ect but none of the DVD's/CD's)
Photo's - http://www.cnet.com.au/inside-jb-hi-...-339313586.htm
Talk of expanding the concept to a few more key sites around Australia, so a real possibility to occur in Brisbane. Also they didn't replace an existing to store to create this new one, it opened up in the new Westfield in Sydney City.
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #4548
nathandavid88

It is something they could look at here, that Sydmey store looks quite cool. Although, there's no shortage of JB HiFi's in the CBD - Albert St (Q&A), Adelaide St and Macarthur Central.

The Adelaide St store I recall used to have a completely separate shopfront for the CDs and DVDs section, while next door was just the electronics, but they then moved both into a single store not that long ago. Then there's the Macarthur Central Store, which has the DVDs and CD's on a completely separate level to the electronics, so it's almost a separate store there.

Last edited by nathandavid88; April 26th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #4549
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
So while you guys all dream of these crazy hi end retail stores, what about something a touch more realisitic: A JB HiFi Concept Store like has recently opened down in Sydney? (It has all of the electronics side of things - TV's, Mobile Phones, Laptops ect but none of the DVD's/CD's)
Photo's - http://www.cnet.com.au/inside-jb-hi-...-339313586.htm
Talk of expanding the concept to a few more key sites around Australia, so a real possibility to occur in Brisbane. Also they didn't replace an existing to store to create this new one, it opened up in the new Westfield in Sydney City.
Apple + Zara = high end?? Rightttttttt

Zara = cheaper than Witchery and Country Road
Apple = something that poor (and not so poor) students clamor over
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4550
Tyson

Likes (Received): 123

Is the Sydney Zara open? Anyone know prices? I was expecting them to position themselves similar to the likes of Country Road.
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #4551
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 210

A few pictures of Apple stores inside historical buildings:

Glasgow:

Inside Glasgow:

image hosted on flickr

Paris:

Inside Paris:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London:

image hosted on flickr

Inside:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by SoulvisionQ1; April 26th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #4552
nathandavid88

Thanks for the photos Soul. I love seeing the Apple Stores from around the world.

Externally, I would want to see something similar to the Glasgow store, just a simple Apple logo hanging from above the entrance, while inside I'd like it to be more like the Paris store as, although not as ornate, the interior does still retain plaster detailing on the columns and the ceiling I'm pretty certain.

Also, an interesting side story, there is a development application up for 233 - 255 Queen St which I'm pretty sure is MacArthur Chambers/MacArthur Central. The DA is A003063677 but there's no documents up there as yet.
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4553
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Ohh, thanks for that, we'll have to keep tabs on it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Is the Sydney Zara open? Anyone know prices? I was expecting them to position themselves similar to the likes of Country Road.
Yes it is open and the prices are reportedly cheaper than Country Road.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #4554
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Also, an interesting side story, there is a development application up for 233 - 255 Queen St which I'm pretty sure is MacArthur Chambers/MacArthur Central. The DA is A003063677 but there's no documents up there as yet.
Docs are up....Looks very Apple to me.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #4555
nathandavid88

Indeed it does! And it looks like it will be a stunner of a store as well!
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #4556
Marty_

Likes (Received): 145

And here I was thinking this Apple store talk was all hype. This is seriously cool!
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #4557
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

These floor plans are confirmation that Brisbane's brand spanking new apple store is in MaCarthur central! Looks a lot like the London Regent apple store to me. Love how the missing Bronze doors will be reinstated!

My email to Steve Jobs a few months back must have gotten through

Does Melbourne have an apple CBD store?

Last edited by SoulvisionQ1; April 28th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #4558
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 623

I was thinking Paris inside Glasgow outside.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4559
Sky_Is_The_Limit

I dunno that it's going to be Apple, having done some quick research.

Currently the world's largest Apple store is in Covent Garden, London. It has 1521 sq m of sales space. The upgraded MacArthur Chambers site will lose some floor space but the documents suggest that the site will be 1900 sq m+.

I honestly don't think that Apple would be replacing their existing world's largest store in London with a bigger one in Brisbane.

EDIT: That said, I was just looking at the floor plans and it it very much resembles an Apple store fitout!!

And it looks like the basement level will be for staff and storage uses, so that makes a lot more sense.

In total, I calculate 1178 sq m of sales space across the ground floor and the mezzanine level.

That would make it the second largest Apple store in the Southern Hemisphere (behind Sydney at ~1400 sq m) and one of the largest in the world!!

Last edited by Sky_Is_The_Limit; April 28th, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #4560
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Its impossible that this could be anything but apple. Look at the Genus Bar on the top right. Plus the tables... no other retail store would have tables like this. There are no clothing racks on the walls. This has to be an apple store.

Plus look at the space required for the 'logo'... very similar to Glasgow:

Tags
brisbane, development