daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17834

Dublin Demolishes Their 1st Skyscraper

Taking the Liberties from the roof of Dublin city
22 October 2006
The Sunday Independent (Ireland)

NEWS that Liberty Hall, once regarded as an architectural travesty in a Georgian city, is to be demolished, has led Dubliners to reassess their view of the city's first skyscraper. Construction on the 16-storey building started in 1961 and finished in 1965. It is 195 feet tall.

"I don't think it should be demolished," said one of those queueing yesterday to look at their city from the viewing platform on top, "it's seen by some as a landmark".

Siptu, the country's largest union, which owns the office block that gazes over Dublin, has already declared that its "preferred option" would be to tear down the building and erect a new union headquarters on the site.

The hallowed site was once the headquarters of the Citizens' Army. As part of Architectural Week in Dublin, visitors to the office block got a chance to view the capital city from the platform at the very top of the building.

"You never really know or understand how big Dublin city is until you look down on it from a high vantage point such as this one," said one of those taking the tour.

"It is one of the very few places where Dubliners can survey the vast and energetic qualities of the city, or look out into the endless, crane-laden horizon where Dublin seems to disappear," saidanother.

The future for Siptu's home is uncertain. In the next two years, union bosses will have to approach the city council and seek permission for the skyscraper to be demolished.

An eyesore or a landmark - most people still can't make up their minds. But over the years a surprising number of people seem to have fallen in love with gaudy Liberty Hall.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #2
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

It is something of a landmark, and it's especially useful if your wanting to get a train of any kind out of the city and into the rest (the real part) of Ireland.

I've never been up the tower, but having been at the top of the Guinness factory, I can appreciate the comment:

Quote:
"You never really know or understand how big Dublin city is until you look down on it from a high vantage point such as this one,"
Dublin is a Huge city - much bigger than most people would expect - 2/3 of Ireland's population live in Metro Dublin. It's vast.

I'm not sure I want to see it go. While it isn't exactly the best looking building in Dublin City, which as the article says, is predominately Georgian (and beautiful with it), it serves a purpose. It's positioning is perfect for a highrise/skyscraper structure, so I would like to think that it's replacement will be just as tall, if not taller still....
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #3
andypandy
Meh...

Likes (Received): 53

Its not the prettiest building in the world but for many years it was the only building that resembled a skyscraper. It would be a pity to see it go.
andypandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17834

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #5
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Oh no, I've always had a soft spot for this building......it can't be demolished.
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #6
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I really like this building and will hate to see it go. What it needed was to be reclad.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Thats a shame. I might enquire to see if other options were considered and if so, what.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote