daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1
hala

Likes (Received): 4

IM Peiís other BOC (If you like BOC, you may want to see this)

IM Pei’s other BOC, BDNI center, Jakarta

Recently reading this book of I.M. Pei. He mentioned the project of BDNI center in Jakarta, Indonisia. He mentioned the efficiency of the newly invented structure of BOC tower in Hong Kong, and was trying to utilize it on other high rise structures, including the BDNI project. The proposal was established in 1994, but was on hold even until now.

The project includs two towers, rising form 45 to 62 stories (240m to 317m). The BDNI is a 3.3 million square foot, mixed use complex surrounding a monumental public plaza in Jakarta's prime business district.

BOC

Do anyone knows anything of this project?

Last edited by hala; October 25th, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

I heard of this one. In fact I'm a bit interested in it. Though it may lack the height of The BoC, I like the idea of a complex.

But I'm a bit curious where in The Jakarta CBD it's going to be built?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #3
vvill

better be on hold. =.= it looks a bit peculiar when it's done like that.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

I believe the project was on hold due to the Asian financial crisis.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I believe the project was on hold due to the Asian financial crisis.
True since Indonesia were among the countries most affected. There were several supertalls and skyscrapers planned for Jakarta back in the mid 90s but were held back because of the crisis and partly because of the riots.

Old October 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Even now, almost a decade after the financial crisis, the project is still not back on track even though the country has recovered significantly.

Property Firm Gets US$180 M Loan
4 April 1996
Jakarta Post

JAKARTA (JP): PT Grand Paradise (GP), a property company, obtained a loan of US$180 million from a syndication of five foreign banks and a local bank under an agreement signed here yesterday.

The company announced here yesterday that the transferable loan facility was provided by DBS Bank, DKB Merchant Bank (Singapore) Limited, Dresdner (Southeast Asia) Limited, Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Ltd and Bank Dagang Nasional Indonesia (BDNI) of Indonesia.

The loan will be used to partially finance the development of BDNI center, a major office complex, consisting of two towers of 62 stories and 45 stories.

The buildings, which will be the tallest in Jakarta, were designed by the world-famous architect, I.M. Pei, along with ateam of New York consultants.

The 62-story tower is scheduled to be completed later in 1998 and the 45-story building before the end of 1999.

PT Grand Paradise is 70 percent owned by PT Gajah Tunggal Mulia (a member of Gajah Tunggal Group) and 30 percent owned by Sudirman Prime Investments Pte Ltd, a company which is managed by Investment Corporation Pte Ltd., an entity managed by the Singaporean government.

Gajah Tunggal Group is one of Indonesia's leading diversified business groups and consists of more than 60 companies, employing over 65,000 people in Indonesia and other parts of the Asia Pacific region.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #7
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I didn't expect the taller building to be that high. I was expecting somewhere around 700 ft or below.

Old October 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

With the economies of Southeast Asia reeling, architects working in the region are facing a difficult future.
BY NIGEL SIMMONDS
1 April 1998
Architectural Record

The warning signs had been there for years, but for many of us they were little more than inconspicuous maintenance flags on the road to riches. With hindsight, we can see them clearly now: the gleaming skyscraper towering over a carpet of slums in Jakarta; the brand new Mercedes-Benz negotiating a road built for horse and cart in Thailand. The gap between rich and poor, of course, was always stark; the one between reality and wishful thinking was less evident.

For those of us who have known Southeast Asia only in the economic upswing, the last months have been something to behold. A currency crisis has wiped at least 50 percent from the value of most Southeast Asian banknotes: in Indonesia the rupiah slipped from 2,400 to the dollar in July 1997 to more than 16,000 at one point in January 1998 (it now hovers around 10,000 to the dollar.) Stock markets have plummeted across the board as confidence in the Asian ``miracle'' has waned. Banks, which are central to the problem, have been forced to account for bad loans, easy finance, and chronic cronyism.

So what's going on? According to the Economist Intelligence Unit, the research and forecasting arm of the Economist publications, there are two distinct interpretations of the Asian situation. The first suggests that the region's difficulties lie in its foreign-exchange markets and do not reflect an underlying weakness in the economies--a situation that could be solved by a rapid surge in exports.

The second reading suggests that the precipitous slide in the currency and stock markets has exposed and aggravated a number of structural weaknesses. Says the EIU: "These include unsustainable current account deficits, overheated construction sectors, and banking sectors that have lent heavily to finance share purchases and glutted property markets.'' The problem here is that, with the currency and stock markets continuing to slide, banks face the prospect of bad debts mounting to unsustainable levels. "Failing banks and contracting credit could, in turn, lead to a prolonged slump,'' says the EIU.

In the shadows of Southeast Asia's problems are "two wild cards: Japan and China,'' says Francisco Larios, senior emerging markets economist for Standard & Poor's DRI. What happens with these two economic giants will have a great impact on how quickly Southeast Asia is able to revive.

If Japan were to adopt changes to boost domestic demand, it could help Southeast Asian nations revive their economies by exporting more. But "right now Japan isn't playing the role in the region that its economic weight warrants,'' says Larios. And while China has stayed outside the zone of troubles so far, a devaluation of the Chinese currency or signs of an economic crisis could drag Southeast Asian countries down even further.

As governments have reined in public and private spending to cope with the downturn, building and infrastructure projects in many countries have been the first to go. Many property companies--the pacesetters of Asia's growth phenomenon--are facing a future that is at best uncertain. As a result, much of the work that foreign architects had relied on to keep them going has dried up.

Even some projects that were well under way have been brought to a halt. For example, construction of the 62-story BDNI Center in Jakarta, designed by the New York- based Pei Partnership, was frozen in early March after it had already progressed past the 10th floor. L. C. (Sandi) Pei says the project will be on hold for perhaps a year, but he expects it will go forward eventually.

Two Pei projects in Singapore that hadn't started construction--a luxury apartment building and an office tower--have also been put on hold. But Pei expects them to begin construction sooner than the Jakarta tower, perhaps within six months.

Looking at the big picture, Pei says, "I feel there is a general optimism about the future of the area but an aversion to the present.'' In the meantime, says Pei, "the reality is that everything in the region is in a state of turmoil right now.''

Development Design Group, a Baltimore-based architecture firm that has been active in Indonesia for several years, reports mixed news from the region as well. Phase I of Legend City, a large master-planned community outside Jakarta, is being completed, as is Mal Puri Indah, an 864,000-square-foot retail center in Jakarta, says Kathleen Carney, communications director of the firm. About a half dozen other projects in Indonesia, however, have been postponed.

"We've definitely been hit, but it's not all doom and gloom,'' says Carney. "No clients have canceled outright'' and the firm is maintaining its seven-person Jakarta office. "We're a little more optimistic than what you read in the press,'' she explains. ``We envision things getting going again within a year or 18 months.''

A few foreign firms have been able to stay busy in the region by steering clear of the countries that have been hit the hardest. "We have 40 projects under way in Asia right now,'' reports Bernardo Fort-Brescia, a principal of Arquitectonica Interna-tional, the Miami-based firm, which has three Asian offices: in Shang-hai, Hong Kong, and Manila. ``The only cancellations we've had are two projects in Manila. But just this week we got a new project there,'' Fort-Brescia says.

His firm has been lucky since it has done no work in economically troubled countries such as Thailand, Malaysia, and Korea and just one project (completed at the end of last year) in Indonesia.

For local architects in struggling countries, though, there's nowhere to run. In Indonesia, where a succession crisis is threatening to turn violent and add to the economic woes, one local manager painted a dire picture: "Every major project in the capital has now been closed. Expatriates are leaving in droves, and at one regional bank those executives who are staying on have been issued walkie-talkies, just in case the communication systems go down.''

Major casualties so far in Indonesia include the massive Jakarta Tower. "It was supposed to have been the tallest tower in the world--558 meters high, five meters taller than the CN Tower in Toronto,'' says Mohammad Danis-woro, chairman of Jakarta's Archi- tectural Review Board.

The story is the same in the country's other major centers, including Surabaya, where a convention center designed by Tsao & McKown Architects of New York is just one of a number of projects to have hit financial limbo.

"It seems to me the impact of Asia's current economic situation on architects and their business is a very serious one,'' says Danisworo. "It is not just a 'blip'; it is a major downturn, particularly for projects being financed by local investors.''

Indonesia may well be at the sharp end of the crisis for now, but it all began in Thailand. Casualties in Thailand have included such major projects as the $3.7 billion Bangkok Elevated Road and Train System.

The story is not as bad in Singapore, where a massive MRT project seems ready to move ahead. The Lion City has not been immune to the crisis, however: more than half the larger private sites sold in the last two years will not be redeveloped this year. Developers seem to have put their plans on hold to wait out the uncertain market.

Not all of the news is bad, however. In Malaysia the government confirmed in January that it will continue with the construction of a new Malaysian administrative capital called Putrajaya. The total cost? Around 20 billion ringgit (or $3 billion at 6.3 to the dollar). The new town is a major piece in Malaysia's grand plan, unveiled last year before the currency crisis, to build a $33 billion "multimedia super corridor,'' which will also include high-tech development between Kuala Lumpur and a new international airport designed by Kisho Kurokawa. The airport is now under construction outside the city.

The world's tallest buildings, the twin Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, designed by Cesar Pelli, are essentially complete, although work is continuing on an attached concert hall and shopping mall.

Looking ahead, Colin Knowles, managing director of CMR Inter-national, a Melbourne-based management consultant firm, believes the Asian currency crisis will have a significant impact on speculative development but not on infrastructure. He told the Australian Financial Review: "In particular there is still massive demand for the construction of roads, buildings, and sewage systems. We've got a high degree of confidence about the amount of work that will come out of Southeast Asia in the future.''

Some observers, like Zack McKown, of Tsao & McKown, believe that Southeast Asia's predicament will help foster more responsible development that will respond not only to market forces but also to the needs of the people who live in these cities.

Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan has expressed a similar sentiment--that the current crisis might initiate meaningful economic reform. If that happens, it may well pave the way for more sustainable growth in the future.

Nigel Simmonds is a journalist based in Singapore and Bali who has contributed to RECORD's Pacific Rim section for several years.

Old October 26th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #9
hala

The construction started in 1994 and was expected to be completed in 1999. However, it has been on hold at the early state of the construction. According to Pei, the initial reason that put the project on hold was the ďinstabilityĒ of the country at that time.

Here are some pics of the project under construction. You can literally see the unique geometric layout of the buildings taking shape.

Old October 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #10
hala

The thing that good about BOC is not just the handsome looking, but structurally as well.

1st Hong Kong’s wind speed can reach as much as twice of that in NYC, and three times of that in LA. So structurly, it has to be much stronger.

2nd The structure that invented by Pei and Leslie Robertson, the structure engineer, allows the weight of the building to be distributed along the diagonals and columns located at four corners. This structure allows the building to be lighter, cheaper, and yet stronger. The structure used only half amount of steel than those of conventional structures. Those columns and beams are visible during the construction time and were highlighted by white aluminum strips after the faÁade was put in place.

1lh4m5 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Nice construction pics. BTW are these recent photos? I would like to see photos of the place today

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #12
hala

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Nice construction pics. BTW are these recent photos? I would like to see photos of the place today
me too.
If there's any Indonisian forum member can help us.
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hala View Post
me too.
If there's any Indonisian forum member can help us.
Better to start a similar thread in the Indonesian Forums in SSC.

I'm a fan of The BoC and I feel glad that it's in HK but I would also like to see skyscrapers that are similar to The BoC such as this one.

Old October 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I. M. Pei's designs are very geometric. It's quite evident in the BoC and also the entrance to the Louvre as well.

Old October 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #15
Patrick Highrise
visit the world

Likes (Received): 2911

that last pic is so nice I made it my laptop's background.
but that easy with two of my fav towers from around the world (BoC and Lippo)
2017: PatagoniŽ / Patagonia / Stockholm - India Ladakh (sept) - wandeldagen in de bergen van Ladakh - Boedapest (okt)
2018: Liverpool (mrt) - Wenen (mei) - Tanzania-Kilimanjaro (juni)
Patrick Highrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #16
Phobos

I love BoC and this one as well.I hope to see it finished someday.
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #17
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

BDNI Towers uc now?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #18
hala

Seems there are quite a few people interested in this project like me. I googled it and found this from the Pei Partnership Architectsí website:

Sentra BDNI Jakarta, Indonesia

Sentra BDNI is a 3.3 million square foot, mixed-use complex surrounding a monumental public plaza in Jakarta's prime business district. Pei Partnership Architects' design brings together prudent urban design, generous open spaces and the highest quality building materials to achieve a distinguished, progressive and civic-minded private development.

Information
-3.3-million sq. ft. (307,000 m&sup2 mixed-use development in heart of Jakartas CBD
-Large scale urban design and site planning on 6.6-acre superblock
-Two office towers, concourse retail shopping and 2000-car underground garage
-Auditorium, two-level banking hall and extensive landscaping and water elements
-Innovative structure provides economic solution to high-rise building

Old October 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #19
hala

Old October 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #20
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Looking at the other pictures, the design looks stranger and fatter compared to HK's BoC.