daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #21
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17794

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Looking at the other pictures, the design looks stranger and fatter compared to HK's BoC.
From the renderings, it's quite obvious BDNI has a fatter structure.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #22
indistad
leiden-yogyakarta

Likes (Received): 0

I didn't know Gadjah Tunggal was the one that wanted to build this structure. Gadjah Tunggal was mainly a wheel manufacturing company (GT Tires) but I think they've diversified now. Its still a healthy company, so maybe they'd decide in the future..

As for BDNI (Bank Dagang Negara Indonesia), it didn't survive the crisis, was declared bankrupt and no longer exists.

Voltaire
indistad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #23
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

i like it

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #24
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

I like it but I am against it being built. I think it would pretty much rob some of the grandeur and originality the BOC has.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #25
Joe_centennial
Malaysiaku Tercinta

Likes (Received): 7

^ I agree. IMHO They should render the design albeit cos the current design looks too similar to that of BOC. It lacks originality. I personally wouldnt want to hear other ppl from diff nations saying that BDNI Centre is a 'copycat' or sum sort. Make the window tint gold instead.
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #26
hala

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_centennial View Post
^ I agree. IMHO They should render the design albeit cos the current design looks too similar to that of BOC. It lacks originality. I personally wouldnt want to hear other ppl from diff nations saying that BDNI Centre is a 'copycat' or sum sort. Make the window tint gold instead.
But both of them are IM Pei’s design. Like I have never heard people say that the Disney Music Hall in LA is a copycat of Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #27
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

I have. Disney are actually being threatened with legal action over it. Do not know the full details of it though.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #28
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by indistad View Post
I didn't know Gadjah Tunggal was the one that wanted to build this structure. Gadjah Tunggal was mainly a wheel manufacturing company (GT Tires) but I think they've diversified now. Its still a healthy company, so maybe they'd decide in the future..

As for BDNI (Bank Dagang Negara Indonesia), it didn't survive the crisis, was declared bankrupt and no longer exists.
Unless someone revitalize the project and convert it instead to a office complex.

As with the originality concept, yes it can be a BoC copycat but it's still the same architect.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #29
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't like how this Pei design is being re-used, just like Pelli's IFC and Jersey City cousin. Is architecture becoming a commodity of globalization as well?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #30
hala

Likes (Received): 4

Pei himself said that he does NOT like the idea of having a “signature design” like Frank Gehry does. Every design should be determine by the environment and culture. Actually, as you can see, every Pei’s design is unique. Doesn’t like Gehry, he doesn’t apply same idealology, same structure, or same color scheme to more than one project. You can hardly find his “signture” in his designs, except for the geometric structure which is also used by many other architects. He explained that the reason that he untilzed the BOC structure on this project is because of the perfection and efficiency of the newly invented geometric structure. Perhaps the utilization of the basic triangular structure are similar to the BOC, but the project’s general layout and even the detail design, such as the entrances and the driveway, are very much different form the BOC.
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #31
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hala View Post
Pei himself said that he does NOT like the idea of having a “signature design” like Frank Gehry does. Every design should be determine by the environment and culture. Actually, as you can see, every Pei’s design is unique. Doesn’t like Gehry, he doesn’t apply same idealology, same structure, or same color scheme to more than one project. You can hardly find his “signture” in his designs, except for the geometric structure which is also used by many other architects. He explained that the reason that he untilzed the BOC structure on this project is because of the perfection and efficiency of the newly invented geometric structure. Perhaps the utilization of the basic triangular structure are similar to the BOC, but the project’s general layout and even the detail design, such as the entrances and the driveway, are very much different form the BOC.
One thing about the BoC is that, the building was built on a hillslope or near it. The ground floor of the BoC have waterways on the side.

[IMG]http://*************************/hong%20kong/jpgs/hong_kong_77.jpg[/IMG]

Jakarta's layout is flat kinda like Houston. But the building is on a triangular position kinda in the google earth map.

Last edited by Manila-X; October 30th, 2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #32
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The drop in elevation on BoC's site is very mild - only about 1-2 stories. The slopes get much steepier further out around the cathedral. The Centre and Hopewell Centre both have much more dramatic elevation changes between the front and the back.

Old November 1st, 2006, 04:12 AM   #33
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I like it, but it's a bit less exciting compared to HK's. Hopefully it'll still be built.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM   #34
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I like it but I am against it being built. I think it would pretty much rob some of the grandeur and originality the BOC has.
I agree.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:58 AM   #35
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
I like it, but it's a bit less exciting compared to HK's. Hopefully it'll still be built.
Honestly I find the complex interesting. Its pretty interesting to see how I.M. Pei would remodel the same style and idea used for BoC and create a new skyscraper. Plus how this kind of style is used in a complex with not just one but two buildings.

Last edited by Manila-X; November 2nd, 2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:01 AM   #36
hkskyline
Hong Kong

That's Gehry-style laziness.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:13 AM   #37
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

What if the BDNI wanted something of a BoC look and are willing to pay I.M. Pei billions of rupiah for it?

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #38
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
What if the BDNI wanted something of a BoC look and are willing to pay I.M. Pei billions of rupiah for it?
I doubt Pei is willing to sacrifice his creative integrity for the sake of a few dollars, especially since he has such international stature. I'd hope he's doing all this work out of interest rather than purely selling out to the next highest bidder.

Clients don't always rule. The architect can refuse.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:57 AM   #39
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I doubt Pei is willing to sacrifice his creative integrity for the sake of a few dollars, especially since he has such international stature. I'd hope he's doing all this work out of interest rather than purely selling out to the next highest bidder.

Clients don't always rule. The architect can refuse.
That's the advantage of being famous But Pei created the concept and design for BDNI. But I still think he played around with the BoC style and created something new.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
That's the advantage of being famous But Pei created the concept and design for BDNI. But I still think he played around with the BoC style and created something new.
I also look at the urban context to evaluate whether there is a reason for these architectural similarities. From Pei's website, he emphasized a grand plaza concept for BDNI in the heart of Jakarta, which was definitely not the case in the BoC design. However, the gap remains why did he wanted to present a BoC-style design and why the client would want that? Did the bank have a business relationship with the BoC?