search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Green Bay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #11501
Tower Park
West Sider, Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 959

Quote:

CityDeck Landing Groundbreaking in Green Bay

WFRV-TV
Thursday 12-19-2013

A vacant piece of downtown property in Green Bay is about to get a major makeover.

Today, Mayor Jim Schmitt, other city officals and construction crews broke ground at the corner of Main Street and Washington Street for a $12 million mixed-use development project.

The site will become home to residential living space and retail space.

Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation has granted the project $500,000 to remove and dispose of any contaminated soil, so construction can begin.
http://www.wearegreenbay.com/1fullte...BkWSIC6VmhlrYw
Tower Park no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #11502
Tower Park

Groundbreakings

Quote:

‘Tis Groundbreaking Season; Days after the KI Convention Center
Expansion Groundbreaking, T. Wall Enterprises Begins “CityDeck Landing”

Green Bay Economic Development Department
Friday 12-20-2013

Teamed up with Plunkett Raysich Architects of Milwaukee and Smet Construction of Green Bay, Madison development firm T. Wall Enterprises broke ground on a new riverfront apartment complex in downtown Green Bay on December 19th. The project, entitled CityDeck Landing, is expected to be completed by March of 2015. The $12 million development will net 76 new market-rate downtown apartments and add roughly 7,000 sq ft of new retail space along Washington Street and City Deck.

The prime riverfront location will be developed for the first time in almost five decades. This block, once home to businesses like Gordon Bent’s Bicycle Store, Galliano’s Pizza, and of course the original home of Wally’s Spot Supper Club, had been vacated for traffic right-of-ways in the 1960’s. With the recent additions of the CityDeck and the Schreiber Foods World Headquarters next door, the location suddenly became a highly sought after development site.

Earlier this December, Governor Walker was on hand for the groundbreaking of the KI Convention Center expansion. The December 5th event was the culmination of diligently crafted city, county and state government support, as well as private investment, most notably by Dick Resch and Krueger International.

As the rendering below highlights, the development will expand the convention center westward and connect it with the soon to be renovated Clarion Hotel. All told, an additional 40,000 sq ft of space will result; a $21 million investment. Expanding to more than twice its current size, the development is projected to add an additional 70,000 visitors, 450 jobs and $25 million in annual economic impact.

All images from the City of Green Bay.
http://greenbaywi.gov/EconomicDevelopment/
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:36 AM   #11503
Tower Park

Update

CityDeck Landing. The coming six-story, 76-unit, $12 million apartment building at Main and N. Washington streets named CityDeck Landing leads off the latest issue of What’s Up Downtown. Says Middleton developer T. Wall Enterprises: “The use of several colors of brick, combined with metal detailing for balconies and architectural stone accents at the building base are a complement to the history of the area and make for a beautiful new building.” The project is expected to include about 7,000 square feet of retail/commercial space plus a green area along CityDeck, with completion set for March 2015. Rendering from Plunkett Raysich Architects LLP showing CityDeck Landing's layout, with N. Washington Street to the right, Main Street at top and the Fox River to the left. http://campaignbox.imagedistillery.c...40EF23F30FEDED

Downtown Plan. The citizen steering committee working on a new downtown master plan met last night (Thursday) for its 10th meeting of the year. The group reviewed results of the plan’s final public workshop last week and discussed draft goals, objectives and plan recommendations. The committee expects to meet again in January and February. The plan will be finalized the early part of next year.

Downtown District. A Green Bay lawyer has posted on Facebook a police dash-cam video showing, he says, Green Bay police “kicking one subject to the ground and then repeatedly punching another after they have him pinned to the ground” in a downtown incident. Cole White represents Nee Gee Cloud, 21, of Green Bay, whom White says is the man seen receiving body punches from a Green Bay officer. White says the one officer went too far and another officer Tasered Cloud during the incident. Green Bay police say the officers properly reported the use of force. They also say supervisors reviewed the incident and found officers acted within department training, policy and procedure. “No individuals involved with this matter have filed a complaint regarding use of force,” says the department. The incident took place at 1:20 a.m. Nov. 6 in the parking lot of the Clarion Hotel downtown after police responded to a report of someone with a weapon at nearby Coaches Corner Pizzeria. That person was Cloud’s friend, who had a pellet gun. Cloud was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and possession of a marijuana pipe. Image from Green Bay police video. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...osted-Facebook and http://www.fox11online.com/news/loca...ice-misconduct and http://www.wbay.com/story/24276114/2...deo-goes-viral

Downtown District. A “Brass & Organ Christmas” featuring a brass ensemble of the Green Bay Symphony Orchestra and organist Jeff Verkuilen of Green Bay will be presented tomorrow night (Saturday) at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church downtown, 413 St. John St. The concert will feature classical Christmas music and St. John’s pipe organ. Tickets required. St. John the Evangelist photo. http://greenbaysymphony.org/

Downtown District. Eight churches are on this year’s Downtown Christmas Church Walk on Saturday, Dec. 28, at 6:30 p.m. The walk starts at Grace Lutheran Church, 321 S. Madison St., or participants can hop the bus at 6:15 p.m. at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, 139 S. Madison St. Learn church histories, sing carols and hear the Christmas story. A food donation is appreciated. Photo of Grace Lutheran from christianmusic.com. http://campaignbox.imagedistillery.c...40EF23F30FEDED

Around Downtown. The upper facade of the two-story former J.C. Rockstroh Bakery Building (left), now The Heel, 115 N. Adams St. Photo by LeCapitaineT. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39465641@N00/

From the Past. Caption from OBI: “With the arrival of electric street cars in 1893, Fort Howard led the way to a new mode of transportation in Brown County.” The photo shows the Broadway line of the Fort Howard Electric Railway. Located west of the Fox River, the City of Fort Howard became part of the City of Green Bay in 1895. Photo from the Otto Stiller Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County. https://www.facebook.com/OnBroadwayGB

On This Day: December 14, 1948.

Quote:
G.B.W. Again Asks Right to Abandon Passenger Service

Revenue averaging a dollar a day isn’t enough to operate railroad passenger service for 428 miles, a spokesman for the Green Bay and Western Railroad declared today, commenting on the road’s application to the Public Service Commission for discontinuance of passenger service.

“We’re practically out of the passenger business now,” he commented, adding that the road considered the application before the Commission largely a formality.

Passenger service is provided on one mixed train a day between Green Bay and Winona, a distance of 214 miles.

A move to discontinue passenger service was made three years ago, but was opposed by some of the communities along the route, and permission was not granted. Passenger service on the Kewaunee, Green Bay and Western to New Franken, Luxemburg, Casco, Kewaunee, Algoma, Forestville, Maplewood, Sawyer and Sturgeon Bay was discontinued several years ago.

— Compiled by the Brown County Library
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...Dec-14-history

LeCapitaineT liked this post

Last edited by Tower Park; December 21st, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM   #11504
Chris King

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Park View Post
The groundbreaking for CityDeck Landing is at 2:30 p.m. today (Thursday) at Main and N. Washington streets. Says the Green Bay Economic Development Department: "The apartment and retail complex will begin construction at 100 Main St. shortly, with a spring of 2015 targeted opening. The CityDeck Landing will be ready in March 2015." https://www.facebook.com/CGBED

CityDeck Landing now has its own Facebook page. CityDeck Landing images. https://www.facebook.com/citydeckapts

I think I want to live there.

Chris King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11505
Tower Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Teacher View Post
Wow, it's hard to imagine the main east-west thoroughfare in the downtown of a city with only two lanes plus a turning lane. You'd have to imagine that traffic is only going to increase in the next decade or two as the downtown continues to grow. Although I support features conducive to pedestrian and bicycle traffic, I would be leery about reducing traffic capacity on the main streets like Walnut.
Some clarification. The possible change of E. Walnut from four lanes to three, if that recommendation is in the final approved downtown master plan, would only be east of Monroe - from Monroe to Baird and East High School. I guess it's considered there's not sufficient space on E. Walnut west of Monroe, there are concerns lanes would not line up with the concrete pavement joints, and the like.

jrpros liked this post
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11506
jrpros

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
I think I want to live there.
It looks cool from the outside. I'm a little skeptical about the quality of the interiors. If I was single or younger, I'd certainly be interested. Though, I'd probably wait for Metreau to be finished to decide.

I love that there will be these choices for downtown living now. Add in the townhomes projects and it is an exciting time for downtown Green Bay.

Tower Park, Chris King, LeCapitaineT liked this post
jrpros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #11507
Tower Park

Downtown

More stops on the downtown tour of holiday lights and decorations. Photos from DGBI and OBI.

N. Washington Street / Angelina

Aster Park Floral / Children's Museum

Breakthrough Fuel / Sassy Girl

Hat-cetera / The Gift Itself

Du Bois Formalwear / White Dog Black Cat Cafe

Surfin Bird / Red

WaterWorks Garden Supply / Somewhere In Time Antique and Art Center

Café Madrid / Besselli

Broadway Center / Beerntsen's Candies

Chefusion / Lloyd's Guitars

Glass Nickel Pizza Co. / A Bag Lady

The Exclusive Company / Salon Fifty Four

Chris King, LeCapitaineT liked this post

Last edited by Tower Park; December 21st, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Aster Park Floral
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM   #11508
Chris King

Quote:
Some clarification. The possible change of E. Walnut from four lanes to three, if that recommendation is in the final approved downtown master plan, would only be east of Monroe - from Monroe to Baird and East High School. I guess it's considered there's not sufficient space on E. Walnut west of Monroe, there are concerns lanes would not line up with the concrete pavement joints, and the like.
Pavement joints? Yes, I know that there are drivers too #*^%ing stupid to follow painted lines and they must follow the damn cracks in the street, (I wish at some point these mysterious sideshow freak drivers would be brought into the ring so we can point, laugh and throw rotten vegetables at them), but we don't design streets for the most stupid drivers. But, if it needs to be idiot-proof, the existing cracks can easily be filled in and new cracks can be cut in. It will only take one day to do this, it's not a project-ending issue!!! [WHO THE HELL KEEPS SUCKING ALL THE OXYGEN OUT OF THE ROOM?!?!?! ARGH!]

fld200 liked this post
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM   #11509
Chris King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpros View Post
It looks cool from the outside. I'm a little skeptical about the quality of the interiors. If I was single or younger, I'd certainly be interested. Though, I'd probably wait for Metreau to be finished to decide.

I love that there will be these choices for downtown living now. Add in the townhomes projects and it is an exciting time for downtown Green Bay.
Pretty much the quality of the interiors is going to be the same as any other new place. I went to the first Open House for Riverfront Loft Condos back 7 years or so ago and wasn't impressed at all with the quality of workmanship or materials used. Inside it looked like a typical apartment unit at East Park Estates on Sycamore Drive. There was no custom milled woodwork or artisan crafted built-ins, basically just a $900mo. quality apartment suite selling for a quarter $Mil. What's important are the convenient amenities available within the building and outside surrounding areas. So overall, Metreau and City Deck are going to be equivalent in comparison regarding those issues.

And depending on the lease term/rate structure they go with, sub-let speculators thinking the GB market is somehow comparable to New York City or San Francisco might gobble up the available units with decade-long leases, jack up the prices, find out that that strategy doesn't work here and the downtown remains empty of residents same as it is. So I'm not getting too excited.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:57 PM   #11510
Chris King

Quote:
More stops on the downtown tour of holiday lights and decorations. Photos from DGBI and OBI.
My hopes are that in 5 years when those photos are taken again there will be more people walking along the sidewalks.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #11511
Beargb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Pretty much the quality of the interiors is going to be the same as any other new place. I went to the first Open House for Riverfront Loft Condos back 7 years or so ago and wasn't impressed at all with the quality of workmanship or materials used. Inside it looked like a typical apartment unit at East Park Estates on Sycamore Drive. There was no custom milled woodwork or artisan crafted built-ins, basically just a $900mo. quality apartment suite selling for a quarter $Mil. What's important are the convenient amenities available within the building and outside surrounding areas. So overall, Metreau and City Deck are going to be equivalent in comparison regarding those issues.
Do you have some inside info on the interior quality of either of these places? Just because you went to an open house for riverfront loft condos doesn't really seem to be a valid premise to lump all of these developments together. I think jrpros stance sounds like a smart one. Let's at least give these apartments a chance before condemning them, you know?
Beargb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:14 AM   #11512
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Pavement joints? Yes, I know that there are drivers too #*^%ing stupid to follow painted lines and they must follow the damn cracks in the street, (I wish at some point these mysterious sideshow freak drivers would be brought into the ring so we can point, laugh and throw rotten vegetables at them), but we don't design streets for the most stupid drivers. But, if it needs to be idiot-proof, the existing cracks can easily be filled in and new cracks can be cut in. It will only take one day to do this, it's not a project-ending issue!!! [WHO THE HELL KEEPS SUCKING ALL THE OXYGEN OUT OF THE ROOM?!?!?! ARGH!]
The pavement joints thing is real. It's not always an issue, but at night with poor weather, it can get hard to see the painted lines at all. In those cases people tend to use the joints since there's a high correlation between joints and lines on most roads. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it does need to be considered when roads are re-striped.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:37 AM   #11513
Chris King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargb View Post
Do you have some inside info on the interior quality of either of these places? Just because you went to an open house for riverfront loft condos doesn't really seem to be a valid premise to lump all of these developments together. I think jrpros stance sounds like a smart one. Let's at least give these apartments a chance before condemning them, you know?
I'm not condemning so much as making the observation that there isn't much difference in quality as far as materials used and workmanship in the housing industry today. I'm going to wait just like everyone else and hopefully I'll be quite pleasantly surprised and satisfied.

I do have concerns about the speculators though.

OK, QUESTION FOR FORUM MEMBERS:

Who thinks we need another early morning ham 'n' egger place for breakfast in the immediate downtown? Al's Hamburger can be pretty busy in the morning and not have any seats when you go for breakfast. Do you think DT could support another breakfast & lunch diner serving bacon 'n' eggs all day?

I'm going to put this question in a separate post on this thread.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:40 AM   #11514
Chris King

Do We Need Another Early Morning Breakfast Joint Downtown?

Who thinks we need another early morning ham 'n' egger place for breakfast in the immediate downtown? Al's Hamburger can be pretty busy in the morning and not have any seats when you go for breakfast. Do you think DT could support another breakfast & lunch diner serving bacon 'n' eggs all day along with some killer nom, nom, nom specialty sandwiches?

Neodan1979 liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM   #11515
WestSideTransplant

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
OK, QUESTION FOR FORUM MEMBERS: Who thinks we need another early morning ham 'n' egger place for breakfast in the immediate downtown? Al's Hamburger can be pretty busy in the morning and not have any seats when you go for breakfast. Do you think DT could support another breakfast & lunch diner serving bacon 'n' eggs all day along with some killer nom, nom, nom specialty sandwiches?
There's the Black Stone too. But yes, I think it would be good. White Dog has a great brunch but it's really busy on Sunday. Remember Uprisings? That place was good.
WestSideTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #11516
Chris King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
The pavement joints thing is real. It's not always an issue, but at night with poor weather, it can get hard to see the painted lines at all. In those cases people tend to use the joints since there's a high correlation between joints and lines on most roads. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it does need to be considered when roads are re-striped.
Do you have scientific case study information on this phenomenon of people not being able to see lines and idiotically following joint cracks?

And the traffic count on E. Walnut at night is, like 2 vehicles every minute? Is that enough congestion to warrant this obscenely overkill over-thinking possible highly un!@#$#&+^ thinkable bizarro-dimension problem that MAY, MAY occur?! Really, people gotta get a grip on reality here. The speed limit is 25 MPH! The whole notion of this IS COMPLETELY INSANE!
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #11517
Tower Park

Rockwood Lodge

Rockwood Lodge while it was still burning on January 24, 1950. ESPN The Magazine writer David Fleming
says efforts to save the building from the fire “seemed to lack urgency.” Press-Gazette photo.

ESPN: The Mysterious Fire at Rockwood Lodge

In an article in ESPN The Magazine titled “Blaze of Glory,” writer David Fleming calls the fire January 24, 1950, that destroyed Rockwood Lodge — the training facility of the Green Bay Packers at the time — mysterious and says the insurance settlement from the loss saved the team from financial ruin. “Rockwood Lodge was home to either the most perfectly timed spark of good luck any destitute franchise has ever known — or the most fantastic crime in NFL history,” says Fleming.

Rockwood Lodge was built in 1937 as a retreat for Norbertine priests; the Norbertines during the period operated St. Norbert College and St. Norbert High School in De Pere and Central Catholic High School in downtown Green Bay. Rockwood Lodge was located on a limestone bluff some 100 feet above the waters of Green Bay, about six miles northeast of the current Green Bay city limits; the site is now Cecil Depeau Bay Shore Park. The Packers purchased the 53-acre estate in 1946.

The site featured the 40-room, 1½-story limestone lodge, which the Packers converted into a state-of-the-art football facility complete with lockers, classrooms, dorms and a restaurant-quality kitchen. The team also built six prefabricated cottages on the site. Rockwood Lodge also included a sand beach, woods, tennis courts, a boat dock, a stocked fishing pond and a natural outdoor amphitheater used for team meetings.

Fleming says no report on the official cause of the fire has ever been uncovered; some think faulty wiring may have been to blame. The lodge was insured, and a Packers official at the time estimated initial losses to be at least $50,000, “which just so happened to be almost the exact amount of the Packers' debt,” writes Fleming. “The insurance money immediately brought the franchise back from the brink of bankruptcy and protected the Packers from being disbanded by the NFL.” Eight days after Rockwood Lodge burned, coach and co-founder Curly Lambeau announced his resignation from the Packers to become head coach of the Chicago Cardinals.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...-espn-magazine
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...od-lodge-blaze
http://espn.go.com/espn/photos/galle...rockwood-lodge
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9692535
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/209875401.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwood_Lodge

The 1947 Green Bay Packers at Rockwood Lodge. Photo by Green Bay Packers/Stiller-Lefebvre.

Rockwood Lodge from above, with a practice field toward the bottom and the bay of Green Bay at
top right. Photo by Green Bay Packers/Stiller-Lefebvre.

The Packers hosted the Chicago Cardinals in a scrimmage at Rockwood Lodge in the late 1940s,
as seen here. Photo from the Henry Lefebvre Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County.

The ground outside Rockwood Lodge was hard on players – only a thin layer of soil covered limestone
underneath. Sometimes the Packers would bus into Green Bay to practice at their old practice field.
Press-Gazette photo.

Coach and Packers co-founder Curly Lambeau inside Rockwood Lodge with his wife at the time, Grace.
Press-Gazette photo.

Curly Lambeau’s vision of Rockwood Lodge was of players living and training there alongside their families.
Photo from the Henry Lefebvre Collection of the Neville Public Museum of Brown County.

Last edited by Tower Park; December 23rd, 2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: tweaked
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM   #11518
Tower Park

Quote:

Who thinks we need another early morning ham 'n' egger place for breakfast in the immediate downtown? Al's Hamburger can be pretty busy in the morning and not have any seats when you go for breakfast. Do you think DT could support another breakfast & lunch diner serving bacon 'n' eggs all day along with some killer nom, nom, nom specialty sandwiches?
Great question. I don't know the market for downtown restaurants here, but that might be a good idea. "Traditional" downtown restaurants, like the old Terrace Room and River Room among others, are gone. I'll say yes.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #11519
WestSideTransplant

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Great question. I don't know the market for downtown restaurants here, but that might be a good idea. "Traditional" downtown restaurants, like the old Terrace Room and River Room among others, are gone. I'll say yes.
. The Stein is gone too! Miss their champagne brunch.
WestSideTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:06 AM   #11520
Chris King

Another morning Diner

For another diner downtown, my thoughts are that the 5-7AM and 11Am-1-PM time slots are pretty busy at Blackstone and Al's. The early morning time seems to be where the greatest need is. On the East side the closest place is Blackstone on E. Mason, too far from DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideTransplant View Post
. The Stein is gone too! Miss their champagne brunch.
Everybody misses the Stein's Reuben sandwich and there isn't anyplace else that makes a true Reuben because face it, it's a lot of work to cook a brisket for hours and hours and it's messy in the kitchen. But I don'tlook at it that way, real cooking and not unpacking factory-made food and heating in the microwave is the way to go. That's why the hash at Al's is still popular and still on the menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideTransplant View Post
There's the Black Stone too. But yes, I think it would be good. White Dog has a great brunch but it's really busy on Sunday. Remember Uprisings? That place was good.
The Blackstone is busy early morning, I like that it's a quick in and out service, breakfast doesn't take much more than 15 minutes.

Tags
green bay, wisconsin