daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #61
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

This kind of very tall lighting with 6 lights on top is used at practically all highway interchanges in Israel. This is Road 6, which is only lit at its junctions.

Other than that, I would say that a higher than average proportion of highways in Israel are lit all the way along, but by no means all of them.

A mixture of lamp post types on Road 4:

Ayalon Freeway - Tel Aviv:

All pics from Wikipedia.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #62
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
So the highways get's more overcrowded at daylight? And what about trucktraffic and distribution? They have to drive at night to supply distribution centers and shops.
Intresting, trucks are not allowed to drive at night in Switzerland.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #63
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Lärmschutz? And at which times?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #64
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I know from Austria there's a truck prohibition between 22:00 and 05:00. Only trucks with a special Lärmschutz label (green sign with a 'L' in it on the front of the truck) are allowed to drive at those times. Maybe something similar in Switzerland?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #65
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

^ How often are these enforced though? Would they have road-blocks just to catch the violaters? I can't imagine a police officer trying to spot that small sticker in the middle of the night.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #66
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Lärmschutz? And at which times?
Yes. Between 22:00 and 5:00, and the whole sunday and on national-holydays (x-mess, eastern...) it has been introduced in the 1930-ies.
You need a special permit if you need to transport something at these times. Usually you see almost only milk transports at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
^ How often are these enforced though? Would they have road-blocks just to catch the violaters?
It is enforced in Switzerland.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #67
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
How about do you guys think about 'lijnverlichting'? Unfortunately I don't know the english translation, but this is how it looks like:

Nice lighting. Outside the NL I've only seen that France on the Lyon's ring road, on a short section on testing on the A1 near Lille and in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM   #68
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Here it is, taken from an other SSC forum:
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #69
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 13277

Street lights on Motorways

Do you think that Motorways, Autobahns, Interstates ea. should be illuminated at night?
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Only at important interchanges. Full scale lighting is a waste + it disturbes wildlife.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #71
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Only at important interchanges. Full scale lighting is a waste + it disturbes wildlife.
I second to that. I really don't like what they've done in Belgium... Waste of power is also a reason, security issue can't prevail.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #72
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

its different for belgium, since almost the entire network is one big interchange, isn't it?

i mean in hungary there are 10-12 km sections without an on/offramp...

nevertheless i would like it if it was 100% illuminated, but only if it came from - say - solar powered batteries
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #73
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

In urban areas lighting is necessary, in rural or low population areas lighting should be required only in hazardous areas, bridges, interchanges. Otherwise it should be optional.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM   #74
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 1

In Norway, all motorways are illuminated at night. There used to be a couple of streches that wasn't illuminated, but not anymore.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM   #75
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Keep in mind that in countries using nuclear energy there is a massive excess supply of electricity during nights because nuclear reactors cannot be stopped quickly. So lighting up the motorways is not necessarily the worst way of burning the excess electricity. Not sure what is the main source of electricity in Belgium though.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM   #76
Total

Likes (Received): 0

Main source is nuclear power AFAIK
Total no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #77
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, true, Belgium has indeed a nuclear overcapacity at night. But still, putting up al those lightposts + maintaining them + the infrastructure isn't cheap either.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM   #78
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

As mentioned Norway has lightpoles on every single motorway - this is one demand for the road to get 100km/h speed limit. But in Norway studies has concluded traditional lamps are not optimal for trafic-safety as they make people drive to fast in bad weather, also makes it easier to fall asleep. New motorways in Norway will be tested with small diodes in the railings and on short poles to show the contures of the road and artpieces or landscape feautures lit in different colours along the way to make variation to keep driver more allert.

These are also being used on bridges even on bridges with sidewalks since they are less visible than the traditional poles and illuminate the sidewalks very well.

I know Sweden has worked on the same issues, i believe there are some test-stretches there aswell.

Personally i think driving in Germany where there are none is better, even more so when the trafic is low, as it usually is at night.

Btw. Norway has no nuclear power, so this is not the reason why we have lightpoles on all our motorways. We do have very cheap waterpower tough, and our motorway-network isn't exactly huge.

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #79
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

A lot of you guys are talking about Belgium. What about The Netherlands? I saw it in december from above (plane) when I was coming back from Ireland. Almost every road was filled with light. A lot of yellow lines through the country and the cities were like huge yellow spots.. NL isn't really different from Belgium in a way of motorways with light and wasting energy
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #80
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's not entirely true, in Belgium, virtually all motorways are lit, even the rural ones. In the Netherlands, only the Randstad motorways plus a couple of other locations are lit at night.

As far as I know, there is only one motorway in NL that has 2x3 lanes, and is not lit at night; the A12 near Arnhem.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:59 PM.