daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #101
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

i like the ones in Hershey, Pennsylvania:
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #102
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I took these a couple days ago during rainy weather going south on Interstate 35 in Austin. I love these type of lights we use here in the U.S.

[IMG]http://i35.************/jf9sep.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i34.************/k9za0y.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.************/6sqp8i.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #103
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I love the truck in the last picture
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #104
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I loved it too....it got in the way of my light though.... I had no idea I was gonna be using that picture to show lights. Great looking truck.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I love the truck in the last picture
I was just gonna say!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #106
RoadCat

Likes (Received): 0

Swedish streetlights (mercury-lamps) from the 60's

[IMG]http://i34.************/ivic91.jpg[/IMG]

Örebro, Sweden mid 60's

At least in the past typical motorway streetlights in Sweden- low-pressure sodium lamps.

[IMG]http://i33.************/2v8slyh.jpg[/IMG]

Örebro, Sweden 1973

Last edited by RoadCat; October 1st, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
RoadCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #107
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Anyone got a picture of those huge ones they're putting up? I've never seen lights before like them til a trip to Reno. They look like stadium lights, VERY high up (probably 2-3 times the height of normal lights) used to light up freeways, and have 6-10 lights arranged in a circle that shoots downwards...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #108
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolis-uptown View Post
street lights and traffic lights are different!!!!!!
I do know that, but somehow I was sure the poster meant traffic lights Either way, I apologize if that was a false assumption.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM   #109
RoadCat

No.. I mean Street lights
RoadCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #110
zazo,
Zeit

Likes (Received): 104

[i like the new Madrid lights] (white light)

Designed by Pritzker price Alvaro Siza
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

This is the universal lamppost for residential areas in the Netherlands, you can find them everywhere.
[IMG]http://i38.************/keeyok.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #112
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Anyone got a picture of those huge ones they're putting up? I've never seen lights before like them til a trip to Reno. They look like stadium lights, VERY high up (probably 2-3 times the height of normal lights) used to light up freeways, and have 6-10 lights arranged in a circle that shoots downwards...
You mean something like this?

Source: http://www.globalview.be/

There are about 15 lights on each of those poles. Do note that the image was taken from a plane, so it may look small... Just compare them to the cars riding under them. Been there for many many years.

Here's a photo from X38 which shows it from below:

The lights you see in front are placed that low because it's right next to one of the runways of Brussels Airport.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #113
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I'm surprised, not in a condescending way, but just surprised, that you have not seen them before. These floodlights are pretty typical at large interchanges in the US, and are sometimes used in urban areas to light the main body of a highway. Typically, they can have anywhere from 4 to 16 lamps. The US and Europe are actually pretty good about limiting their use, as although they are cheaper to maintain than a network of regular streetlights, they do greatly increase light pollution. In general, India makes far greater use of these floodlights, with obvious increases in ambient, unfocused light.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #114
wdw35

There is no dispute, motorways with lights are much better.

I postulate that installing street lights on motorways in Germany is the most cost-efficient congestion reducing action that can be taken.
How so?
I think the lights will cause an important shift of traffic from day to night for people that can plan their travel at any time of the day, because:
1. With the lights, travel conditions are virtually the same as in the day (and you can drive whatever speed you are in daytime)
2. Traffic at night is in general much lower.

This shift in turn would reduce congestion during day time!!

The same effect should be seen also in countries with motorway speed limits.

Not placing lights on motorways is a very stupid decision.
Especially now with the possibility of effectively using solar lamps for this purpose.

Last edited by wdw35; May 17th, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #115
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Actually they are removing the street lights even from motorways in urban areas here in Germany. E.g. in Munich there have been street lights on the A95 and A96. They all got removed last year.

Overall i would say Germany is the darkest country of all developed countries i ever visited. Even Morocco or Egypt are illuminated like hell. I do not know whether it is good or bad. All i can say, it makes cities much bigger when you fly over it.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #116
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw35 View Post
There is no dispute, motorways with lights are much better.
I beg to differ. At night it's much easier to notice a vehicle behind or in front of you from afar, as everything is dark, so its lights stand out.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #117
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Australia doesn't need every single freeway or road illuminated at night, however I think roads in urban area should be lit.

Have a look at the night map of the world in post 25 - it look like you can drive from Europe/Moscow acorss Russia to Vladivostok on a continuous illuminated line. This would be the route of the Tran Siberian railway for sure but I am amazed that it is so weel lit in that part of the world.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #118
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Australia doesn't need every single freeway or road illuminated at night, however I think roads in urban area should be lit.
I agree, I think it has a lot to do with the distances we're talking about. I think that all urban motorways should be illuminated, and also all interchanges and junctions (on all roads, not just motorways).

However, similarly to Australia, in a country like Canada it would be impractical to illuminate the whole motorway network in its entirety.

However, it is very important to have a lot of reflectors and very clear linear edge demarcations. I find this to be a big problem here in Canada (in Ontario). The solid line at the edge of some rural roads is either not marked, or completely faded.

In addition, there are many minor intersections on rural roads here that are also not lit. I think that's a bad idea.

Sometimes making a left turn here on rural roads is quite scary (at least that's what I found on a trip last year), because you know you have to turn, but you cannot see absolutely anything at all when you look left, so you don't actually know what kind of road is there (once my GPS guided me onto a gravel road like that, which I would have otherwise avoided).

That's why, at the minimum, I think all intersections, on all roads, should be lit. As far as I know, this is the approach used in Israel. Also, I've almost never seen a road in Israel that did not have a clear yellow line at the edge (it is faded in some places, but it is rare in places with significant traffic). I think the edge of the road should always be marked clearly, which is not as important as the centre line.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #119
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Have a look at the night map of the world in post 25 - it look like you can drive from Europe/Moscow acorss Russia to Vladivostok on a continuous illuminated line. This would be the route of the Tran Siberian railway for sure but I am amazed that it is so weel lit in that part of the world.
The area around the road is lit, not the road itself..
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #120
wdw35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I beg to differ. At night it's much easier to notice a vehicle behind or in front of you from afar, as everything is dark, so its lights stand out.
When the motorway is lit you get much more information about that vehicle, including its relative speed and its type, so you can adjust your decision accordingly.
On a well-lit motorway I can't imagine how you could have trouble "noticing" a vehicle in front of you (or even behind).
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote