daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #501
juandie

Likes (Received): 1

it's awesome!!!! and beautiful desing, this building it's amazing!!! :O
Earth Hour, 20:30!
Remerber is our world, our home!
U can changed the world just turning off the lights
juandie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #502
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

its getting tall, soon will really impact the skyline!
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #503
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

From SSP By NYguy:

MARCH 13, 2009

Pics from gio.o
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #504
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

You can hardly see it in the dark. Two floors on the cladding
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #505
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

this building will just be like former WTC when reflecting sunlight. It will be awesome especially when its reflecting dusk sun.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #506
kingsc

Yes it will come to think of it. I can't wait to see it sun up or sun down, should be great.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #507
deez

Likes (Received): 2

uh-oh--
http://curbed.com/archives/2009/03/1...tower.php#more
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #508
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Please no Waterview Tower-like case for NYC. And also no cheap redesign.
I hope this only means some reorganization, and probably short delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
are setbacks still mandatory in New York?
i know that in the early part of the century set backs were mandatory to allow sunlit to hit the sidewalks, but after the word trade center was built and numerous other boxes, were built it seems were seeing a resurgence of setbacks. is it because of building codes, or just an architectural fade?
No, setbacks aren't mandatory today in NYC (see zoning history at nyc.gov ), some newer scrapers like Trump World Tower, NY Times Building and Seven WTC go straight up without. So I think this is a reminiscence of the classical highrises by Gehry.

Last edited by Dan Hochhaus; March 19th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Dan Hochhaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #509
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

not according to Lower Manhattan.info:

*The following information was last updated on March 19, 2009.

* Superstructure work is underway, and continues through spring 2010. Mechanical floor 38 is now being erected.
* Full sidewalk closures on Spruce and Beekman Streets beside the work site
* Extended work hours Monday through Saturdays 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m
* The contractor heightens ("jumps") the crane is appx. every two to three weeks
* Curtain wall installation began February 11, 2009
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #510
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Funny, I see this building up close almost everyday and they were working hard as usual on it this morning.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #511
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
this is not fair
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #512
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1277

This news really pisses me on! I hope it will be once built as it was planned.
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #513
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

on SSP they wrote that the tower maybe will be finished....but only with its current 38 floors . but a final decision hasn't been made yet
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #514
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

This is an outrage, how can they do that to such a beautiful building, by an award-winning architect!? They should at least leave the option open for the other half of the tower when the economy gets better! What a disappointment.

Zefire liked this post
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #515
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

I keep falling asleep before posting photos. I broke my finger biking, so i'll get around to it by sunday.

- A
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #516
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Ratner: 76-story Beekman Tower Design Not Shrinking, Yet

Despite a recent report that their designs for New York’s tallest residential tower may be shrinking by as much as half, the building’s developers said plans for the 867-foot Beekman Tower in Lower Manhattan have not changed. Yet.

“Given the current economy, we are conducting a study to assess costs, risks and overall timing,” a spokeswoman for tower developer Forest City Ratner told the Trib in an Email. “Work is continuing on the building, including on the school and we should have some conclusive answers shortly.”

The building is to house the new Spruce Street School, which the developer said it would turn over to the city in 2010.

Doubts over Forest City Ratner’s ability and/or willingness to build all 76-stories of the $680 million rental apartment tower at the corner of William and Spruce Streets surfaced March 19. WNYC reported that the city’s Department of Buildings issued the developers a permit for work to be done on the roof of the building. The report concluded that the permit “treats the top of the current [38-story] structure as a roof.”

According to the developers, the “roof” referenced in the permit is actually the first of three setbacks included in the building’s design, not the proposed top of the tower.

“The design has not changed,” a company spokeswoman said.

However, when asked if the Frank Gehry-designed luxury skyscraper would still top out at the originally-prescribed height of 76 stories, the spokeswoman acknowledged that the company was beginning to consider the impact that the economy may have on the project.

Back in October, Forest City Ratner executives insisted that the city’s crumbling real estate market had not jeopardized their plans for the tower. Eight months later, with the market showing few if any signs of recovery, the company still maintains that no changes have been made to the project’s schedule. The four-story k-8 school under construction at the base of the tower, according to the company, will be delivered to the city’s Department of Education by the end of next summer, and the first rental units will be opened later in 2010. Final construction of the tower is not due to be completed until November 2011.

MaryAnne Gilmartin, an executive vice president with Forest City Ratner, said in October that the company had been able to maintain those deadlines in large part because it had already secured the $680 million loan it needed to finance the project before the disastrous collapse of the country’s credit and stock markets.

“The financing has been locked in and untouched by the tumultuous market we find ourselves in,” Gilmartin said last fall.

Though the company plans to hand over the 100,000-square-foot school in the summer of 2010, it is widely considered unlikely to be opened for the 2010-11 school year. It will be up to the DOE, as well as the state School Construction Authority, to determine whether the school could or even should be open while construction goes on above it.

When the tower is complete, it will house more than 900 rental apartments, ranging from $4,000 to $10,000 a month. The building will also have parking and doctors’ offices for the New York Downtown Hospital, plus some retail space.

http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/news...12beekman.html
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #517
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Today I saw men at the site but now that I think about it they could just be preparing to top the building off now. Call it a 21st century version of Metro Life north. At this point the only thing I feel I can look forward to seeing is the WTC. Construction is ongoing on mid size residentials, no doubt...but big projects like Beekman (sans the wtc) I strongly feel are going to hybernate. 56 Leanord and 99 Church being put on hold is one thing but building halfway and stopping is another. And without height on the beekman with all that it covers up on the Woolworth building so far...aint worth it. If this building is not built to at least 800 feet, with it's undulating, shiny, facade...still wouldn't be worth it. I so do not want to see this thing stop at 500', 600', or 700'.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #518
luci203

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
i'm sorry but i see this in person almost every day, and i think this building will be an obtrusive mistake
So I'm not the only one glad that it will stop at half height...

The cladding is just too wierd. I don't like it.
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:43 AM   #519
kingsc

If there getting ready to cap this thing I'll be so upset. I'll take it off my top 5.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:54 AM   #520
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

if it makes it as high as we hope, lot of people are going to have to eat their words, seeing the cladding in person is already impressive! i miss living down there and seeing this everyday. but every time i go over the brooklyn bridge i tern my head for this one!
there are also some really hot builders on the site, if thats your thing.......
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project