daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:43 AM   #521
GASTÓN -BS AS
GASTÓN

Likes (Received): 0

increible!

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #522
highrisellc

Likes (Received): 2

what company was doing the concrete work?
highrisellc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #523
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisellc View Post
what company was doing the concrete work?
I believe it's Sorbara Construction, their using iCRETE concrete. 6,000-12,000 psi concrete. Nearly as strong as 1WTC.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #524
highrisellc

it looks like nice quality concrete work also.alot of work for the surveyers.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #525
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

taken the other day.....not growing on me yet....
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #526
highrisellc

what type of decking system are they using? doesnt look like the are working with a typical 4x4 stringers 3x4 ribs and 5/8 plywood. Are they doing a 2 day cycle?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM   #527
jwalas

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:06 AM   #528
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

they will probably top it off now and then continue it after the recession. or just top it off now
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM   #529
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Design on renders are ugly, but when appreciated and detaily observed on last pics, the newly installed facade now impresses me a lot. I have to say it looks very nice and innovative, and huge as well... !!!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #530
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Don't take me too seriously but I have a gut feeling that this thing is going to get finished exactly the way we want it to be.

+1 for optimism.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #531
highrisellc

anyone know what kind of deck system they are using?
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #532
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
they will probably top it off now and then continue it after the recession. or just top it off now
Even if possible, I don't think that's a likely scenario because of the school and future residents living below.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #533
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Even if possible, I don't think that's a likely scenario because of the school and future residents living below.
Exactly. If this stops at 38 floors, it stops for good. Let's keep are fingers crossed though.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #534
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I am pretty much amazed with the quick pace of the construction given all this crisis and everything. It is going to be very distinct building indeed.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #535
highrisellc

can anyone tell me what decking system they are using? And also what cycle they were doing?
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #536
TheShark

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
anyone know what kind of deck system they are using?
Quote:
can anyone tell me what decking system they are using? And also what cycle they were doing?
If no one answered the first time you asked it, I think it's obvious that either no one knows or no one cares...

Last edited by TheShark; March 26th, 2009 at 03:03 AM.
TheShark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #537
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

I hope the Beekman Tower doesn't top off because I enjoy seeing it rise across the East River from where I live in Brooklyn. The Manhattan skyline needs the Beekman Tower desperately.

While Midtown is looking good Downtown is too empty and I've had enough of the 700 footers like Goldman Sachs, 7 WTC etc. Don't get me wrong I enjoy those buildings but Downtown needs taller buildings. Beekman Tower would be the first building to rise over 800 feet since the World Trade Center. I admire the Wall Street buildings like the American International Building and 40 Wall Street. The new World Trade Center will change the skyline for the best. I doubt the Hudson Rail Yards project will begin anytime soon due the economic conditions.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #538
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark View Post
If no one answered the first time you asked it, I think it's obvious that either no one knows or no one cares...
Your name fix you well.

I don't know I rather see it put on hold then top out at this point.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #539
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Ratner says Gehry tower will keep rising

By Julie Shapiro
Word spread quickly last week that Forest City Ratner planned to chop the rising Beekman St. tower in half, leaving it at its current height of 38 stories.
The rumors started when workers recently stopped adding floors and WNYC reported that contractors applied for a permit to add a roof.

Joyce Baumgarten, spokesperson for Forest City, said the rumors are exaggerated. The permit was actually for the tower’s first setback, not for the roof, she said. The permits look similar, which could have caused the confusion, she added.
Baumgarten said the addition of new floors had paused so Forest City could look for ways to save money, possibly by re-bidding construction contracts. She is not worried about finding a market for the building’s 903 apartments, which will range from $4,000 to $15,000 a month.

“There’s been no change in the design of the building,” Baumgarten said in a phone interview. “Work is continuing on the building.”

In a statement, Baumgarten added, “Given current economic conditions, including downward trends in construction costs, we are conducting a study to evaluate potential opportunities to achieve savings on the project.”
Joseph Rechichi, a senior vice president with Ratner, said in January that Ratner had all of the $680 million in financing necessary to complete the Frank Gehry-designed tower. The building is slated to finish in 2011 with the new K-8 Spruce Street School in its base and an ambulatory center for New York Downtown Hospital, along with the high-end apartments.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who led the negotiations to get the K-8 school, said in a statement that he was reassured Forest City had promised to continue building the school. Forest Ctiy has said school could open in 2010 but many people, including Silver, expect it to open in 2011.
Despite Forest City’s assurances, many local residents are skeptical that the project’s finances are in good order, especially after seeing so many other projects stall recently. Also, the stock of Forest City Enterprises has lost more than 90 percent of its value in the past year.

The residents who live in the tower’s shadow and fought its erection had a mix of reactions to the possibility of it stopping at 38 stories.

“Definitely it’s better for the neighborhood,” said Suzanne Fass, who lives at 140 Nassau St. “It’s less intrusive, less of a target and less of a drain on whatever services and infrastructure we have.”
Fass said the potential change in height would not affect her building directly, since the tower already dwarfs 140 Nassau and blocks most of the light that once reached it.
Williams Cosby, another 140 Nassau resident, said a truncated building would be more in keeping with the neighborhood, but the most important thing is that the building gets finished.

“I would rather them build it to its full height and complete it than stop halfway and not complete it,” Cosby said. “I would hate for it to fall into some economic crack where they don’t finish it for some reason.”
Alan Mitchell, who lives at 150 Nassau St., agreed that the worst thing for the neighborhood would be to have an unfinished building. The full-sized tower wouldn’t block much more light and air than the half-sized tower already blocks, he said.

The residents of 140 and 150 Nassau St. negotiated with Forest City several years ago to set the tower back from their windows, with a plaza in between.
Over the past week, Gehry’s twisty, shimmering design for the tower found fierce defenders on online forums like SkyscraperPage.com.

“HALF SIZE .. NO WAY !!!” wrote CSABA8. “That was my favorite building. So sad to hear!”
Added a calmer commenter named CoolCzech, “It would be just incredibly shortsighted to allow a recession to gut the heart out of this magnificent project. I can only assume — and hope — the developer is playing some kind of game for some extra concessions or something.”

Fass, the 140 Nassau resident, said the distraught online commenters did not sway her.
“They don’t live across the street from it,” she said.

[email protected]

Zefire liked this post
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #540
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

thank goodness, i was so sad to hear this might stop, and to hear it will keep going is great news

Zefire liked this post
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project