daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #941
MissyC

Absolutely a beauty, in all senses, a true beauty and soon, once it is finished, it will become an icon to its own sort and I am sure, there will be more cities and/or architects who will try to copy it or come up with something better, but they won't. This bldg is in my opinion the new Chrysler and/or Empire S building of 21st century due to its unique design and above all, the curves, yet so elegantly and gently making it a jaw dropping, aw inspiring icon! BRAVO to NYC
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #942
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

while i love the east west and north sides, and agree that it is iconic, the south side is virtually a blank wall, and i wish it had been made wavy too. still love the tower though. i love how the setbacks recall the classic skyscrapers of the 20s and 30s but the steel wavy facade keeps it modern and futuristic.
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #943
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I don't hate it, read my other comments on it. It bothers me how it's hiding the Woolworth.
Tell me about it! My favorite uncle has an apartment at 90 Gold Street in the Southbridge Towers (those are the brown highrise buildings with the vertical off-white stripes) and his view of the old Woolworth Building is blocked forever! Fortunately he still has a view of the midtown skyline.
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #944
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
Tell me about it! My favorite uncle has an apartment at 90 Gold Street in the Southbridge Towers (those are the brown highrise buildings with the vertical off-white stripes) and his view of the old Woolworth Building is blocked forever! Fortunately he still has a view of the midtown skyline.
well, that too comes with living in a real city that works and lives. It grows, it changes etc. It could be sad for some who don't like some amazing structures to be blocked off, on the other hand, it adds up more beauty and dazzling effects to the city's skyline.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:21 AM   #945
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
well, that too comes with living in a real city that works and lives. It grows, it changes etc. It could be sad for some who don't like some amazing structures to be blocked off, on the other hand, it adds up more beauty and dazzling effects to the city's skyline.

Oh, I agree with you! Uncle Mike pays something like $600 a month for his rent controlled apartment on the 14th floor which should fetch more like $2600 !!!!! It has a balcony and newly redesigned bathroom and big windows. I stay there every time I'm in NYC.

So we can't see the old Woolworth anymore - big deal. He still has an amazing view of the ESB and the Chrysler and Metropolitan Life.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:12 AM   #946
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
DarrylStrawberry, Wired New York.

Apparently the top of the crane in this picture is about the top of the building, don't know exactly how many floors that is.

Wow look how high it is already!
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:03 AM   #947
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
while i love the east west and north sides, and agree that it is iconic, the south side is virtually a blank wall, and i wish it had been made wavy too. still love the tower though. i love how the setbacks recall the classic skyscrapers of the 20s and 30s but the steel wavy facade keeps it modern and futuristic.
In the original design, all sides were wavy, but with the housing market declining over the past couple years and the bubble burst, the company had to decide between cutting down on costs, or not building it at all. They went with the first option, and the flat sides are the result of the cost cutting process.
Better less pretty (but always amazing) then nonexistent.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:56 AM   #948
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Absolutely a beauty, in all senses, a true beauty and soon, once it is finished, it will become an icon to its own sort and I am sure, there will be more cities and/or architects who will try to copy it or come up with something better, but they won't. This bldg is in my opinion the new Chrysler and/or Empire S building of 21st century due to its unique design and above all, the curves, yet so elegantly and gently making it a jaw dropping, aw inspiring icon! BRAVO to NYC
Couldn't have said it better myself...well done!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #949
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post

Oh, I agree with you! Uncle Mike pays something like $600 a month for his rent controlled apartment on the 14th floor which should fetch more like $2600 !!!!! It has a balcony and newly redesigned bathroom and big windows. I stay there every time I'm in NYC.

So we can't see the old Woolworth anymore - big deal. He still has an amazing view of the ESB and the Chrysler and Metropolitan Life.
Oh wow your uncle is a lucky one for sure, knowing how expensive NYC is and specially around Woolworth/area.

I wish I had an uncle like him too. The view is far better than many hotels around town from his apartment.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM   #950
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself...well done!
I am sure you could as long as you 'd be ready to give it a try. huh?

Well, it is beautiful, I guess the design is more important than the height only. Although I love supertalls like Burj Dubai and appreciate those who built it, but this building really rocks. It already has left the rest of most new designs way behind and many designs elsewhere will follow its shape and above all, the dazzling effect it creates by just looking at it from street level.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM   #951
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

This picture is from a long time ago when they just started work after the delay, but it does show you where Beekman will be popping above the skyline....if you can find it.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3447164...7620967620515/

Zefire liked this post
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM   #952
MissyC

I will die for a view like that!
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM   #953
MissyC

and sell all my shoes!
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM   #954
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
and sell all my shoes!
and don't double post again!

that what "Edit" button for
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM   #955
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
and don't double post again!

that what "Edit" button for
Easy now....she said she'd sell her shoes. Rule #492a says...."never mess with a lady who offers her shoes up for sale"!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM   #956
AIDSvirus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Most pictures don't do this building justice. The facade is even better in life and it's much better than I though it would be. It may be the coolest looking skyscraper in lower Manhattan for a little while.

Zefire liked this post
AIDSvirus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM   #957
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Click those ruby slippers three times and say ...

Quote:
and sell all my shoes!
Not the Manolo Blahniks and the Jimmy Chus!!!!!!
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #958
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This picture is from a long time ago when they just started work after the delay, but it does show you where Beekman will be popping above the skyline....if you can find it.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3447164...7620967620515/
WOW pretty much sums NYC in one shot!!! Love the city!!! the best ever

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #959
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

see, when most people look at that photo they will see an amazing skyline, an awesome shot.
I see the Beaver tower
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM   #960
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
In the original design, all sides were wavy, but with the housing market declining over the past couple years and the bubble burst, the company had to decide between cutting down on costs, or not building it at all. They went with the first option, and the flat sides are the result of the cost cutting process.
Better less pretty (but always amazing) then nonexistent.
amen.
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project