daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #1081
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

This building is an abortion.

The stone base and that flat side are both just terrible.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1082
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
2009, September 21st by NYguy, SSP:
Beekman Place, drawing the attention at Freedom Tower site
Absolutly marvelous pic !!!

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1083
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57918

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
Indeed. I'd add the fact that it's hiding Woolworth, which is freaking annoying.

But other than that, it's an interesting tower. I just wish they had built this somewhere else. Replacing the hideous GM building at Central Park for instance.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1084
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Indeed. I'd add the fact that it's hiding Woolworth, which is freaking annoying.
They are not gross, just different. I like the brick base, the orange on silver isn't bad in my opinion. And the flat side of the building is taking on a face of its own. It is covering Woolworth, but it's a new generation and a new tower; which is as equally stunning in its own way.

Zefire liked this post
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #1085
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12581

Quote:

Is it difficult to type being blind? Or do you use one of those software programs?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1086
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:

No it's not. I am critical of buildings and architecture, and I was in Manhattan Saturday and yesterday visiting my favorite uncle who lives just a half block away - not more than 200 meters - and I assure you it looks fine. The one flat side is okay and does not ruin the overall design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
My uncle's view of the Woolworth is gone forever, but as his apartment faces north he still has the mid town skyline with the ESB and the Chrysler and the Citicorp, etc. Manhattan is always changing and evolving, and we have to accept that. The Beekman will not block the view of the Woolworth if you are looking at the skyline from the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1087
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

This building hang I'm stand under it as we speak only got time for one pic off to WTC
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:50 AM   #1088
kingsc

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #1089
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 43

I was a bit skeptic of the facade at first cause the renders didnt seem to be too clear, but I really like how this tower is turning out. Maybe its position couldve been a bit better though. But Im not complaining.
NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1090
Appreciation Station

Likes (Received): 23

Is there any shots of any workers on this site? Just something i noticed in all the photos.. i can't see any people actually working on the project! Unless there are some earlier on...
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #1091
kingsc

I seen them worker so they're there. I didn't want them in my picture plus they're mostly inside.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1092
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

The cladding is looking awesome!
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1093
MDguy

It really is turning out beautiful

Only compliant is with that whack base. They could have done something to at least make it attractive and if they can design a beautiful like that than i think they could definenlty design an amazing base to match
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1094
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

The base was designed by a different architectural firm than the tower, plus its a simple school, so they didn't want to probably spend more money on the base when the majority was heading up for the tower.
NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM   #1095
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:

... abortion? lol?

Zefire liked this post
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #1096
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I can't believe people are making such a big deal out of the base. In what possible circumstance would you be looking at the base instead of the tower?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1097
razqal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

wow that's one tall massive building!! i'm not sure if i like those wavy breaks on the surface tho.

Zefire liked this post
razqal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1098
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I can't believe people are making such a big deal out of the base. In what possible circumstance would you be looking at the base instead of the tower?
Maybe if you are walking by or looking at a picture from street level

A Base is very much relevant to a tower
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1099
l incognito

Likes (Received): 0

This is the finest new skyscraper in North America.
l incognito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM   #1100
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Beekman: The Ratner/Gehry Project That Wasn't Dropped
-Eliot Brown

To anyone who treks west over the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridges each morning, a quick glance to the area just south of the Municipal Building will reveal a new addition to the Lower Manhattan skyline: a skinny, tiered concrete skeleton that's rapidly climbing upward.

The apartment tower-to-be—67 stories as of Wednesday—is a high-end rental building developed by Forest City Ratner, the firm that is desperately trying to build a new Nets basketball arena and accompanying 16-tower development near Downtown Brooklyn. And it is also—as the distinct, undulating aluminum fašade now rising on the building's lower half might suggest—designed by Frank Gehry, his first residential high-rise.

(Forest City, to much criticism, dropped Mr. Gehry earlier this year from the Brooklyn project after years of planning, design and salesmanship in an attempt to significantly lower costs.)

On Wednesday, we got to take a look inside the tower, simply called Beekman, where Bruce Ratner, Forest City Ratner chairman, led us up to snap some photos a few floors shy of the top.

Upward!

The crane was shut down for high winds when we went up, so the building was halting its growth for the day. It usually adds a floor every two days, though windy days are not that uncommon. The project’s construction manager, Joe Rechichi, said he anticipates a topping off in November.

In the elevator, that's Bruce Ratner, center, with Forest City executive vice president MaryAnne Gilmartin, left.

The Tallest Bedroom Community
No surprise here: The views are pretty stunning up top.

The Beekman tower will be the tallest residential building in the city at 867 feet (77 stories), and, a block east of City Hall Park, it stands separate from the other two clusters of Lower Manhattan’s skyscrapers (the financial district to the south, and the World Trade Center site to the west).

Originally, the top 200 apartments were to be (high-priced) condominiums, though Forest City ultimately changed course—probably a good decision given the status of the Manhattan luxury condo market right now—opting to make all 900 apartments in the building rentals.

Great Timing!

The project is perhaps not the best-timed development in the world. It was the last residential building to receive a batch of tax-free bonds that were issued to help Lower Manhattan recover after 9/11—it got about $200 million in tax-free “Liberty Bonds”—and the bulk of construction didn’t start until spring 2008, after the economy had already begun to wane. (Forest City was first named winner of the property back in late 2003 in a complicated deal with the property owner, NYU Downtown Hospital, and Pace University, which was to take space in the tower.)

Mr. Ratner estimated that prices on rentals have dropped about 15 percent since when the company set up financing in 2008, and it’s of course hard to say where they’re going.

Just how expensive will the luxury rentals be?

“The market will drive it in 2011, when it opens,” Mr. Ratner said. “Hopefully, the city will be creating jobs again.”

Cost Cutting

There was a while when it was unclear whether or not Forest City was going to build out the tower in full. Back in March, it stopped construction as it tried to renegotiate costs with unions and contractors, bringing down prices (labor was working on a project-by-project basis on an agreement to lower costs).

Ultimately, Mr. Ratner got enough of what he wanted, and agreed to finish the building as planned with what he said were about 10 percent lower construction costs.

“About 80 percent of that savings came from the unions,” he said, a dig at construction management, from whom he wanted greater concessions. “I don’t think the contractors reduced their savings that much.”

Forest City hasn’t said the total cost of the project, but it has $680 million in debt financing ($200 million of which is exempt from city, state and federal taxes), and $35 million in mezzanine financing from the National Electrical Benefit Fund (which is also an equity partner).

Wavy Siding

A bit of a complicated view here—this is a cross section of the curtain wall, with the photo shot through a wire screen. We’re on the 35th floor, the top floor to which the aluminum and stainless steel skin has climbed so far. Each apartment along the faces of the building that have the undulation (the south side is flat) has its own unique shape, as the edges of the apartment curve more or less with the exterior.

Siding in a Box

The curtain wall comes from all over—Michigan to Florida to here—and is all custom made for each slot. Here’s a box with some siding awaiting installment

Drapery

The inspiration for the exterior was drapery in a marble sculpture by 17th-century artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini, according to an architectural statement released by Forest City and Frank Gehry’s office.

“Frank always told me that it gets more interesting as it goes up," Mr. Ratner said of Mr. Gehry, looking up at the curtain wall.

Mr. Gehry first proposed a different building, Mr. Ratner said.

"Frank works with models," he said. "He works by models and drawings that he thinks are beautiful, and then he tries to make them into a building. So we worked with different ideas—at one point it was a building that twisted around and around like a corkscrew, and it was really beautiful, really nice. The problem was, in a building, you have to line up all the bathrooms and all the plumbing and we couldn’t come up with a way to do that.”

Unlike many iconic planned towers, the unveiling of the designs for this tower went without a celebratory, pomp- and speech-filled event. The reason: The event was planned for May 30, 2008, but a few hours before the unveiling, there was a fatal crane collapse on East 91st Street. The announcement of construction of the city’s tallest residential tower was called off.

School with Frank

To win the site, Forest City pledged a new public school in the base of the building, for which they would pay for the core and shell. Here’s the gymnasium.

http://www.observer.com/2009/slideshow/113069/beekman

Zefire liked this post
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project