daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #101
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Cheers ZZ!
Amazing how this tower seems to be going up so secretly...

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #102
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

very nice building!
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #103
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
Cheers ZZ!
Amazing how this tower seems to be going up so secretly...
to tru. Only in New York (and maybe china and dubai)
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #104
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Likes (Received): 8

I'd feel bad if anything this ugly gets built in New York City.This building isnt just "New York-ish".I Hope the final result isnt ANYTHING compared to this horrible rendering.New York deserves sOO much better!

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
WWW.MySpace.com/RDLatino430RD
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...03&ref=profile
DrzBrooklynChulo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #105
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

I'm very sure it will be much better than on the renders, althoug i like the curved shape
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #106
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

I actually love that rendering, hopefully that is the one been built.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #107
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

From SSP from p0psharlow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A better shot of the crane from p0psharlow

image hosted on flickr
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM   #108
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

on SSP they wrote that the tower maybe will start to rise in february
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #109
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Beh....

This is seriously one of those projects I'll believe when I start seeing something. Alot of disappointment, and excitement involved with following NY projects. This one has been a steady disappointment for a while now.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #110
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Any project Frank Gehry is involved in usually faces several hurdles and multiple delays.
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #111
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

NYgirl, there's not much to worry about and I'm sure that AT LEAST we'll see all of the lower section completed by 2009. Besides, isn't it important that it doesn't take forever to build because there's a school in it? There's obviously a lot more activity at the site now than a few months ago. It should be rising along with the Freedom Tower.

Zefire liked this post
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #112
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Gehry is incredible. Always pushing the envelop. You either love him or hate him -- I love him. But like nygirl, I will be a lot happier when I see something rising above ground. Wasn't there supposed to be a new render of this building released, or will we just have to discover what the builing will look like as it grows?
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #113
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3187

Oh for Godsake release the damn design alreaddyy!
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #114
davidearl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

that render is really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrzBrooklynChulo90 View Post

I'd feel bad if anything this ugly gets built in New York City.This building isnt just "New York-ish".I Hope the final result isnt ANYTHING compared to this horrible rendering.New York deserves sOO much better!
I love that rendering... beats having neon or ugly spires anyday....

I think it would fit in wonderfully with the NYC skyline

I personally HATE the Sears Tower and find it extremely ugly....so everybody views on what looks good is different

Zefire liked this post
davidearl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #115
Kailyas

Likes (Received): 7

awesome!
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #116
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

news posted on SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Good news !!!

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...uce_83718.aspx

*The following information was last updated on February 15, 2008.

Foundations completed on October 26, 2007
Superstructure work is scheduled from mid-February 2008 through February 2010; to restart April 2008.
This work requires full sidewalk closures on Spruce and Beekman Streets beside the work site.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #117
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

wonderful news from SSP:

http://www.cityrealty.com/new_developments/

Gehry's mixed-use, 76-story tower near City Hall gets financing

28-MAR-08

Forest City Ratner Companies, a wholly owned subsidiary of Forest City Enterprises, Inc., announced today the closing of $680 million in construction financing for its "Beekman" mixed-use development at 8 Spruce Street near City Hall in Lower Manhattan.

"Beekman" will be a 76-story tower with approximately 1.1 million square feet, including 904 market-rate apartments, a pre-K through 8th grade public school for 630 students, a 21,000-square-foot ambulatory care center for New York Downtown Hospital, 1,300 square feet of ground-floor retail space, and below-grade parking for 175 cars.

The construction site is adjacent to New York Downtown Hospital on the block bounded by Beekman Street to the south, William Street to the east, and Spruce Street to the north.

In a press release, Bruce Ratner, the chairman and CEO of Forest City Ratner, said that "It is especially gratifying in this economic climate to have leading financial institutions show this kind of confidence in our Beekman project."

"Beekman, which combines a public school, an ambulatory care center for New York Downtown Hospital, landscaped public plazas, retail space, and Frank Gehry's first residential building in New York will be a superb addition to lower Manhattan," Mr. Ratner said.

The $680 million in bonds, of which approximately $204 million comes from the New York Liberty Bond Program, are being issued by the New York City Housing Development Corporation.

"Today's announcement is testimony to the strength and vitality of the Downtown development market," stated Lower Manhattan Development Corporation Chairman Avi Schick. "Lower Manhattan has become a 24/7 community and is now the place to live, work and play. This thriving neighborhood not only has world class office space, but also a rich and diverse housing stock, acres of open space, and premier cultural amenities."

The four lead banks participating in the financing, according to the press release, are Eurohypo AG, Europe's leading international real estate bank which is also acting as Administrative Agent; Nord/LB, an international real estate bank with branches in New York, London, Singapore and Shanghai; ING Real Estate Finance, a subsidiary of one of the world's largest financial institutions; and Fifth Third Bank, a leading financial institution headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio.

"RBS Citizens, N.A. is providing the credit enhancement for the bond issue. The Mezzanine Loan provider for the project is the National Electrical Benefit Fund, which is also Forest City Ratner's equity partner in the Beekman project," the press release continued.

"While today's market has made financing large deals very difficult, it has by no means made it impossible and this project is a prime example," said Ben Marciano, Managing Director, Head of Real Estate Investment Banking - U.S. of Eurohypo AG in North America.

Major construction on the Beekman project is scheduled to commence next week. Frank Gehry's final architectural design will be unveiled soon and the building is expected to begin leasing in 2010.

Mr. Ratner, whose company recently indicated it does not expect to move forward with all the components of its huge Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn right away, said that the "Beekman" project "could not have happened without the support of" Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Mayor Bloomberg, Deputy Mayor Leiber, Housing Preservation and Development Commissioner Donovan, Housing and Development Commission President Jahr, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation President Emil and Chairman Schick "and all of the local community leaders."
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #118
Phobos

Great news.Now it's just wait for the rendering,and I hope it doesn't take too much for that
It would be nice if Gehry's project on the other side of the Hudson had the same luck.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #119
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Great news.Now it's just wait for the rendering,and I hope it doesn't take too much for that
It would be nice if Gehry's project on the other side of the Hudson had the same luck.
Gehry is overrated. This tower's definitely grown on me in the past few weeks, more importantly, its far better than Pace university's maria tower adjacent to it.
As for his plans for the other side of the Hudson, they look a bit abstract don't u think?
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #120
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

The other side of the Hudson or the other side of the East River? You guys are talking about the complex in Brooklyn right? I hate that thing, but on the other hand if Beekman looks a bit like the earlier rendering I'd like it. IMO Ghery is hit or miss.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project