daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1641
LoKeY

Likes (Received): 26

U know, not that this is the topic or anything - but just plain glass towers can be even more boring. Let skyscrapers look how they were intended to look by their designers. They are good examples of architecture in the mid-late 20th century. The Verizon uptown looks totally bland now compared to the original. (won't discuss the one downtown tho - that's another story)

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1642
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

NYGuy, SSP
Sail Brooklyn

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

cladding is well on its way...
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1643
Jaffster

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKeY View Post
U know, not that this is the topic or anything - but just plain glass towers can be even more boring. Let skyscrapers look how they were intended to look by their designers. They are good examples of architecture in the mid-late 20th century. The Verizon uptown looks totally bland now compared to the original. (won't discuss the one downtown tho - that's another story)
I completely agree here.
Jaffster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1644
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Derek2k3
pixelgrey
image hosted on flickr
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1645
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

wow wicked men.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1646
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5325

Stop-work order was issued today because construction debris fell down from the tower. This happened at about 8 am. There are heavy winds in the metropolitan area today.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #1647
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Wow, nice picture!

Zefire liked this post
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1648
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Stop-work order was issued today because construction debris fell down from the tower. This happened at about 8 am. There are heavy winds in the metropolitan area today.
yeah, found something @SSP (by NYGuy)...

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/...7oPonlNyT34%3D

Dangerously high winds today in Lower Manhattan
Debris was falling from Forest City Ratner's Eight Spruce St. building all morning

For several hours this morning, large areas of Lower Manhattan became a no-go zone for vehicles and pedestrians, as emergency personnel sought to cope with debris flying out of buildings as a result of very high winds.

"I first walked out of my building around 6:45 this morning," said J.C. Chmiel, who lives on Nassau Street, near the corner of Beeckman. He was planning on driving his daughter, Veronica, to school. "There were a lot of fire trucks nearby," he recalled, "but I didn't think much of that, because we live near Pace University and they respond there pretty regularly."

As Mr. Chmiel waited in the car for his daughter, "I heard a loud slam, and the car moved slightly." He likened the sound and the motion to "what you would expect if somebody had slapped your car, except it was much stronger than that, as if a really giant hand had done the slapping."

When Mr. Chmiel got out to look around "one of the firemen said, 'look at your hood,'" Mr. Chmiel recounted.

In the center of his car's hood was a turnbuckle, a 10-inch long piece of construction hardware (weighing about a pound) that is used to adjust the tension on cables at building sites. "It was just sitting on my hood," he said. "It had punched straight through the hood of my car, so that half of it was visible from the exterior, and half was inside, under the metal hood."

"That's when I said to the fireman, 'by the way, what are you guys doing here?'" Mr. Chmiel remembered. "But at that point, they didn't have time to chat anymore. They were suddenly busy putting up yellow hazard tape and yelling at anybody walking by to get off the streets."

Mr. Chmiel believes that the debris came from the construction at Eight Spruce St., the 76-story tower currently being erected on a site adjacent to where he was parked. "The firemen said debris had been coming off the tower all morning," Mr. Chmiel said. He then began inspecting the area around his car. "I found another turnbuckle sitting on the pavement, a few feet away," he said. "I'm not sure whether it came down before or after the one that hit my hood."

"If that had fallen just a few inches in another direction," Mr. Chmiel said, "it could have hit me. A few minutes later, and it could have hit my daughter. I'm not sure it would have punched through the roof of the car, but it could have - and I have no doubt it would have gone through the windshield."

Mr. Chmiel, who said, "I am not somebody who is automatically against the idea of large buildings," added that, "I'm beginning to think this tower is too tall for the neighborhood in which it's located. We have very narrow streets here, with a lot of people living nearby." He also noted that, "there is a hospital directly across the street and a fire house nearby, and I'm concerned about how all those emergency vehicles will get through these streets once all those new people move in." The Eight Spruce Street Tower is slated to contain more than 900 apartments.

Mr. Chmiel called the police, hoping they would make out an incident report that he could use for insurance purposes. "But they didn't want to come anywhere near the car," he recalled.

Notify NYC began sending out e-mail and text alerts a few hours after Mr. Chmiel's car had been impaled. At 11:37 a.m., a bulletin said that, "Emergency personnel recommend residents and workers at City Hall Park between Chambers Street, Gold Street, Ann Street, and Broadway stay inside because of the risk from falling debris."

By 12:15 p.m., two subsequent alerts had called for people living or working in the area to "shelter in place" and expanded the boundary to every where south of Chambers, west of Centre and Gold Streets, north of Ann and Vesey Streets, and east of Church Street. By 2 p.m., however, the winds had died down and the alerts had been lifted.

- Matthew Fenton
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #1649
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Brooklyn and Jersey City need more projects to make the whole area more skyscrapered up.
I couldn't careless what they do in Jersey. Now they have a lone skyscraper in queens, maybe they can start there. Remember in the 60's they wanted to redesign the ESB. Maybe this time someone will reclud the American International Building lol.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1650
IU
->

The tower looks effin brilliant, be it from the street view or from i-95 whenever I'm in Jersey. Hail to Gehry for coming up with this wicked decon development.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1651
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

this guy has some great pics on flickr...
image hosted on flickr

Valerio_B
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1652
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

more... (january, 25th)

Old January 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1653
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

image hosted on flickr

Sail Brooklyn
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #1654
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 184

id say in 10 years this is gonna be an icon for new york, its like a lower manhattan chrysler building
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1655
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Its funny you say that, since we already have three chrysler buildings in lower manhattan, two from the same era. Its wasn't to long ago many of you hated this building, I wonder what happen to that. Anyway it to bad the view from the WFC is good to be block by 1WTC enjoy it while you can.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1656
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

new pics, posted by NYGuy
dmchenry99

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1657
VictorF

Likes (Received): 3

edited

Last edited by VictorF; January 30th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
VictorF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #1658
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3187

It's really developing an unearthly shimmer as the exterior progresses. That wasn't apparent in the renderings. The way it catches sunrise/sunset should be spectacular, judging from these latest photos.

I've mentioned my distaste for Gehry's designs maybe too many times in threads, but he's won me over here, and credit is due.
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #1659
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

NYGuy, SSP JANUARY 29, 2010

Old January 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #1660
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

Nice WTC1 update.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 spruce st., beekman place, frank gehry, new york by frank gehry, new york project