daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #201
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD
 
Dr.Seltsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heidelberg (HD)
Posts: 2,492
Likes (Received): 3275

Some pictures I took in March:

Well...I think this building has never been photographed before: (just kidding)






I really love this one (apart from the annoying advertisement):














Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #202
urbanpln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 328
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
My impression is different. It seems lately that Berlin threads are all pics of run-down, communist, abandoned, concrete, buildings, with graffiti all over them. I also find there to be a lot of resentment towards Berlin from Germans from other parts of Germany on this site. Whenever someone tries to start a nice Berlin thread showing it's nicest areas off (which by the way, is precisely what all of the other threads here for other cities do as well) there is always some "Berlin haters" that jump in and try to hijack the thread with photos of its worst neighborhoods, or leaving comments like "don't be fooled, Berlin is actually a dump..." blah, blah, blah. It gets really old. Seems like for other cities, you post some nice pictures and everybody says "nice pics!" and people don't try and ruin it. Don't know why Berlin can't be treated the same way.
I was just in Berlin 2 days ago and this is my opinion as an american. It's certainly not the most attractive european capital, in fact many parts were very ugly and depressing. There are also some very attractive parts of the city that will rival any other city in europe and the usa. I have visited several cities in europe and most major cities in the u.s. and canada but Berlin was the most interesting city I have visited so far. It took me a couple of days to see enough of the city to make a judgement but, when I did It blew me away. What an awesome, fascinating city. I can't wait to go back. One thing that I did not like was the lack of overall diversity. As an african american walking on many of the streets throughout the city I noticed that some people were staring at me like I was a alien. I know that the city is very international and there are people of color living there but, unlike nyc, london, paris and my home town chicago I didn't see many asians, africans, indians and other people of color. I know this will change in the near future because the word is getting out about this fabulous city. I also found the people to be very freindly and warm. Many people approach me and stopped to talk once they heard my american english. I am a big fan of Berlin. It is now one of my favorite cities in the world.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #203
edubejar
Registered User
 
edubejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,375
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I was just in Berlin 2 days ago and this is my opinion as an american. It's certainly not the most attractive european capital, in fact many parts were very ugly and depressing. There are also some very attractive parts of the city that will rival any other city in europe and the usa. I have visited several cities in europe and most major cities in the u.s. and canada but Berlin was the most interesting city I have visited so far. It took me a couple of days to see enough of the city to make a judgement but, when I did It blew me away. What an awesome, fascinating city. I can't wait to go back. One thing that I did not like was the lack of overall diversity. As an african american walking on many of the streets throughout the city I noticed that some people were staring at me like I was a alien. I know that the city is very international and there are people of color living there but, unlike nyc, london, paris and my home town chicago I didn't see many asians, africans, indians and other people of color. I know this will change in the near future because the word is getting out about this fabulous city. I also found the people to be very freindly and warm. Many people approach me and stopped to talk once they heard my american english. I am a big fan of Berlin. It is now one of my favorite cities in the world.
I'm glad you liked Berlin. It too took me some days to like Berlin very much. But it certainly has its pockets, unlike other cities which I like much more in their entirety. And it's interesting you also noticed the overall lack of density. There is a density of buildings (although with more space between them compared to other European cities as Berlin has wider streets, etc.) but there doesn't seem to be a density of people on sidewalks like other places. It's as if many apartments in a given place were unoccupied which may be the case. And indeed Berlin doesn't have an "obvious" presence of people of color like you say, the way London or Paris or any British or French major city for that matter. In fact, smaller Amsterdam seemed to have more people of color, but it's much smaller in surface area so that might make it more obvious.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #204
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD
 
Dr.Seltsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heidelberg (HD)
Posts: 2,492
Likes (Received): 3275

You should have seen many Turks in Berlin? Haven't you?
Perhaps one reason for this effect: Germany never had so many colonies than Britain or France!?
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #205
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,601
Likes (Received): 1327

Berlin has quiet a few beautiful landmarks.
However, it isn't nearly as beautiful as it was before WWII in my opinion.
I wish they would do more reconstructions like Dresden.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #206
urbanpln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 328
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
You should have seen many Turks in Berlin? Haven't you?
Perhaps one reason for this effect: Germany never had so many colonies than Britain or France!?
Yes, I went to the turkish bazaar and, that area of the city was fascinating. You are also correct that Germany didn't have the colonies that France or the UK had. I believe that Berlin will attract people from all over the world in due time. The word is getting out about how awesome the city is. I know people in my office who have freinds that have moved there. Still, the Germans (Berliners) were very freindly and welcoming. "Love your city"
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #207
tk780
Registered User
 
tk780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 367
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
You should have seen many Turks in Berlin? Haven't you?
Perhaps one reason for this effect: Germany never had so many colonies than Britain or France!?
That's true, but it doesn't explain why Berlin is less diverse than most major West German cities.
tk780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #208
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD
 
Dr.Seltsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heidelberg (HD)
Posts: 2,492
Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk780 View Post
That's true, but it doesn't explain why Berlin is less diverse than most major West German cities.
This is simply not true.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM   #209
Ali_B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brussels & Tangiers
Posts: 156
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
This is simply not true.
Maybe because most of Berlin was communist and the west-Berlin isolated? Most immigrants will have moved to West-Germany and still moving to the ländern of former west-Germany. But I think Berlin will attract more and more foreigners because of the economical weight of this city in Germany.

Can onyone provide me a list with the top ten foreign-born communities in Berlin?

@urbanpln: Germany and especially Berlin attract(ed) more white foreigners from easten europe and more brown skinned people from Turkey and the middle-east and not so many from Africa because of the absence of colonial links as you said...
Ali_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:29 PM   #210
HelloMoto163
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 479
Likes (Received): 65

Country//People:

Turkey 115 945
Serbia 24 095
USA 13 064
Vietnam 11 767
Ghana 1 876
Australia 1 260

EU countries:
Poland 44 461
Italy 14 251
France 12 263
Greece 10 109
UK 9 559
Austria 8 676
Bulgaria 5 347
Romania 2 696

And much more countries (about 184)

http://www.in-berlin-brandenburg.com...uslaender.html
HelloMoto163 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #211
paderwan
Registered User
 
paderwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,557
Likes (Received): 2968

Interesting viewpoint, Americans define cultural diversity by races like white, back, asian and so on. In that view Berlin is monocultural, I guess 90% white people. In europe culture is more seen by nations like german, french, polish... even if they are all white. I've been to large American cities and considered them moncultural because everyone was just typical American.

Some more images:

















paderwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #212
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,074
Likes (Received): 8818

Excellent shots! It's strange seeing "C&A" in Germany as they used to be quite ubiquitous in Britain before they were bought out by another company over there.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #213
paderwan
Registered User
 
paderwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,557
Likes (Received): 2968

Sharp eyes, I had to look for it.

Something slightly different, traces from Berlin in New York City that I found on my NY trip.

Kirchner and the Berlin street from Berlin to the MoMa.




The Potsdamer Platz at MoMa.


"Berliner Straßenszene" - "Berlin street scene" The MoMa has an additional collection of Kirchners images of Berlin.


The German American Steuben Parade - General Steuben served in Prussia and lead the USA to independence.






Neue Galerie - Museum for German and Austrian Art
paderwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium