daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #1
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Toronto Pearson - Terminal 2 Pier F and Terminal 3 International

Pictures taken 28/10/2007

Terminal 1 Pier F

Looking up at the US customs clearance called "The Nexus"

Central Atrium: Lighting is actually quite good

Entrance to Pier F after clearing US customs

AC jet parked at one of the Pier F gates

Terminal 1 Hammerhead gates exterior, these are really big

Terminal 1 Hammerhead boarding area

Terminal 1 Hammerhead gates interior, no security to stop anyone from venturing too far

Hammerhead International section, the seats, restaurants and signage have yet to be installed, trials slated for January 13th

A second view of the International section, cant wait to see this area packed with passengers

A look at the sheer size of the Hammerhead, seems a bit cluttered though

Close-up of the sculpture in the hammerhead, not great could be worse

Arriving passengers will be moving through the top floor which has yet to be completed. So far only one escalator has been installed. no carpets, seats and tiling have been installed.

Another view of the arrivals hall this time from the exit

Transfer Point for International Passengers

The international Passengers will be cordoned off from the Transborder passengers by a glass wall. Kind of ruins the openness of the terminal.

View of Pier F from arrivals, an A380 must be ready to board

From Arrivals looking at the soon to be demolished terminal 2

Terminal 3 Addition

Looking out Terminal 3 International, home away from home for British Airways, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Air France and Korean Air. if you look closely you can spot Mississauga's skyline framed by the two terminals.

View of the Terminal 3 Addition from Terminal 1

Interior view of the addition to terminal 3

Conclusion: The Hammerhead and Pier F more than make up for the blandness of the rest of Terminal 1 and will definitely be a pleasure to transit in. The US/Int'l security screen is horrible and seals off sections of the terminal for different users, the first time I've seen this in any terminal. I hope they tear it down. The terminal 3 addition is also done wella and dare I say it, looks a bit nicer than the new terminal's checking area.

Last edited by nitzomoe; October 29th, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
nitzomoe no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old October 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
p5archit

Thanks for the photos- but try and reduce the image size- they are really hard to look when they are twice the size of the screen..

p5
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

used photobucket to adjust for sizes, looks fine now.

Last edited by nitzomoe; October 29th, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Cani

Likes (Received): 22

It is really nice to see some pictures from the future nitzomoe. How did you do that, I mean how come did you btake some pictures in 2007? Anyway nice photos
Cani no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 218

Nice pictures. There is some resemblance to HKIA.

But I can see this as a bottleneck:
If you have heavy carry on luggage it's unlikely that you will use the stairs. They should have at least made an incline ramp along the stairs to allow for wheeling the luggage up the stairs.
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 366

Uuuuu.. reminds me of Hong Kong's airport...
Filip no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #7
AK_Swift

Likes (Received): 0

nice pics.

have to say...i love the hammerhead portion.
AK_Swift no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #8
globetrekker

Very nice photos notzomoe! Thanks bud. You're awesome! Terminal 1 is a beauty. I just hope that they add a little more colour. My suggestion would be to drape the walls of the entrance of Pier F with flags of the world - especially the Hammerhead as that's the internaional pier. Think of Chicago O'Hare for example. And the expansion of Terminal 3 is very nice. They did a great job - the ceiling is great to look at and the huge new windows are great to look out of. I took photos of the same spot and was asked not to...What's that about?
globetrekker no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #9
p5archit

The colour thing is definitely an issue- i have to say that i would like to see more vegatation in the airport as well: I know it is not complete, but no where in the terminal have i seen space reserved for plants or trees etc.- i find that truly unfortunate..

I have to admit too, that the expansion of T3 is of much higher quality than i had expected- the ceiling is a definite improvement. However, i don't understand why they would spend millions on this portion if they are going to rip it down in the near future? It seems more likely that T3 will be kept the way it is, possibly even expanded, especially with the GTAA running such a high debt..

p5
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #10
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cani View Post
It is really nice to see some pictures from the future nitzomoe. How did you do that, I mean how come did you btake some pictures in 2007? Anyway nice photos
lol my mistake, it should be 2006. Some of them look like they're from the future though!

I think they're going to keep T3 for awhile too (maybe rename it T2 to avoid confusion after the demolishen of T2). They havent been reaching their projections (for 2005 they projected 34 million and 2006 is supposed to be 35 million, a difference of 5 million) and even if they did theres Pier G and H in 2015 to construct before demolishing T3. Really begs the question why build a pickering Airport when you've done all of this work for the next 50 years?

Page 26, GTAA Master Plan: passenger Terminals
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #11
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
I took photos of the same spot and was asked not to...What's that about?
probably some security thing, the day I went was for the Trial for Pier F so they wanted ppl taking pictures of the airport.
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #12
p5archit

Their projections will be off for some time- however, i just don't see Pearson becoming the big hub that it so wants to be. If the landing fees don't drop dramitically, the airport will pretty much remain on the same course it is now-gradual growth.

p5
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #13
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Fees Not as Bad

I think that Pearson can and will achieve much greater things. Let us look at next year when KLM plans to run double daily service to Amsterdam. Air France is upgrading their service from an A340 to a B747. The only airline that has decreased service is El Al.

Now based on what I have read, El Al is not is such good financial shape so they want to reduce costs. Their service between LA and Toronto from what I understand was not doing that bad.

As for the fees that Pearson charges, lets remember that what they charge is an all inclusive fee. That means, once the plane lands and parks at the gate etc is included. Other airports charge a landing fee , terminal fees and so on. So, if you take ALL the fees that are charged and add them up and then do a comparisson, lets see where Pearson stands.

I think that this fee thing has been blown way out of proportion but you can also look at the rent that is charged to Pearson versus other airports. It has always been Pearson that has carried other airports in Canada since Transport Canada used the operating profit from Pearson to fund other airports across the country.

Pearson has languished for a long time with the older Terminal 1 which was finally demolished and a new terminal build. It was known a long long time ago that the old terminal was well over capacity. So, lets give them a chance because apparently they are not doing that bad under the circumstances. An award was just won today so, they cannot be running the place into the ground.

Just my humble opinion.
TObermuda37 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM   #14
Martinsizon

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Pearson lauded as world's best airport

Gerry Timbers
Oct 30, 2006

Mississauga's Pearson International has been named the world's best airport by the Institute of Transport Management (ITM).

The ITM noted that Pearson has become a growing force within North America, and wider destinations, for its excellent facilities and customer focused attitude towards passengers.

Pearson International is one of the largest airports in North America in terms of passenger and air cargo traffic. In 2005, the airport handled nearly 30 million passengers.

In making its decision, the ITM Awards Committee commented that the Greater Toronto Airport Authority has enabled the airport to meet current industry demands through its high
operational standards and focus on service excellence.

"We have established a model emulated by other airports and have set the standard for how an airport can be run," said GTAA President and CEO John Kaldeway. "Receiving an award of this nature solidifies what we already know and proves that we are on the right path."

The ITM was formed in the United Kingdom in 1977 with the express aim of providing further education and information to transport managers.
Martinsizon no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:08 AM   #15
ACT7

Likes (Received): 50

I agree with TOBermuda37. Pearson is more than well positioned for the next 40-50 years. Other than KLM doubling their service and Air France upgrading to a 747, there have been tentative announcements by Shaheen Air International to begin service to Pakistan next year, as well as Jet Airways to India, not to mention all the flights beginning to the UK next year from Flyglobespan. It seems to me that EL AL couldn't compete with Air Canada's service to Tel Aviv to make it worthwhile. If the fees at Pearson were as costly as everyone is saying, Toronto would be losing flights overall not getting increased service. I've also heard a rumor that Etihad will begin daily service in '07. Come on Emirates! Get your act together and jump on the YYZ bandwagon.
ACT7 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:38 AM   #16
wiki

Likes (Received): 13

the pearson is a really good airport and besides that has lots of daily flights including my country the dominican republic
wiki no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM   #17
p5archit

I think that Pearson is definitely well positioned for the future, but I am still not convinced that it will become one of the premier hubs in NA. There is a lot which needs to be done, before that is possible- that is not to say that GTAA is doing a bad job- on the contrary, and the results are highly noticeable..

p5
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:11 PM   #18
ACT7

Likes (Received): 50

Pearson is still the 4th busiest international gateway into NA behind Kennedy, LAX and MIA. Even though it's 4th, I think there's more of a mix of international destinations than MIA, which mainly serves Latin American countries. I see only good things in Pearson's future.
ACT7 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM   #19
wiki

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Pearson is still the 4th busiest international gateway into NA behind Kennedy, LAX and MIA. Even though it's 4th, I think there's more of a mix of international destinations than MIA, which mainly serves Latin American countries. I see only good things in Pearson's future.
YOUR RIGHT, toronto's airport is more international than miami, toronto has even flights to moscow and miami doesnt have that much variety
wiki no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:33 PM   #20
p5archit

Pearson is the 4th busiest airport? I don't think that is true- I believe Atlanta, Chicago, LAX, Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK, Detroit and Philadelphia are larger than Toronto. There may even be more..

p5

Closed Thread