daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Architecture, Infrastructure, and Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #21
Nadini

Likes (Received): 89

just realized that wouldnt it be a bit to hard for them to do a metro... I mean, every 10 meters they will discover new Phoenician/Roman/Greek/etc.. ruins, lool, I dont think it will happen

Sponsored Links

Old October 30th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #22
Hassoun
Son of the cedars

Likes (Received): 273

Good point Nadini,well,i guess they'll have to change plans from time to time
Hassoun está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #23
Beiruti

Likes (Received): 49

Well I really hope they discover new ruins, whats so wrong with that?

I actually dont think Beirut needs one, Just one connecting Beirut with Saida to the south and Beirut to Jounieh to the north, nothing through the city.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #24
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 14

Great thread :P
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #25
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 5

Map of someones dream Metro for Beirut

Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #26
Lebanese Cedar
Cedar Master

Likes (Received): 0

Who made that?

I BEIRUT
I LEBANON
Lebanese Cedar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #27
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 5

It was posted by someone named " Georges Gharios " but im not sure if he made it himself or not, heres the Facebook Group
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Lebanese Cedar
Cedar Master

That is really cool.

I BEIRUT
I LEBANON
Lebanese Cedar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #29
Hassoun
Son of the cedars

We definitely need it !!!!!
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #30
bcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebgurl View Post
lets hope if it does come true, lebanese won't be discouraged from using it because of foreign workers (kinda like the bus situation ... the big white buses I mean, not the minivans)
If they are discouraged by foreign workers, it's their problem. Why would people be discouraged from using public transport if it is used by foreign workers?
bcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #31
jb_nl

Likes (Received): 2501

That would be a massive operation. In amsterdam they already have hughe problems with making only 1 metro line (even though they are very clumsy over there) and the city would be one big mess for decades. So I don't think a metro is realistic for Beirout at the moment at all.
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #32
acki

Hi Nandini... Well Athens for instance has got a metro, but they had to dig up to 10 floors underground to actually build the metro UNDER the ruins... which is kindof crazy. There are stations where you walls are actually glass, and you can see the layers of ruins through it.
They are actually building a subway in Damascus right now, under parts of the old city centre; I wonder how they deal with the ruins there... http://www.damascus-metro.com/
But I don't think they would go that far in Beirut, unfortunately. In Athens they also turned basements and ground floors of buildings into museums, because they were built on top of ruins. Also a great aidea for Beirut... in vain though, I think...

Anyway... I think it has to be very high-standard before people will give up their cars and take a metro in Beirut.
acki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #33
Herbicide
a tangy drink!

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_nl View Post
That would be a massive operation. In amsterdam they already have hughe problems with making only 1 metro line (even though they are very clumsy over there) and the city would be one big mess for decades. So I don't think a metro is realistic for Beirout at the moment at all.
A metro is a nessecity in the development of a city the size of Beirut. I was dissapointed when I found Beirut didnt have one. It marks it out as a poor developing-world city. Name a European city the size of Beirut with no tram, metro or commuter rail! There isnt one even approaching the size of Beirut with nothing. It must be hell to try and get around!
Herbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #34
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 14

Again ill say either reconstitute the historic trolleys or do an above ground rail...no underground. Faster, easier and cheaper
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #35
lebnani
Libano Cinéphile

Likes (Received): 4

I think the tram is sufficient.... guys I used to walk from my grandma's house on Clemenceau (just west of the Bombed out Holiday inn) to Gemmeyze in 15 min. In 45 min, I used to be in Mar Mitr, and in an hour I would be close to Sodeco. Beirut is a small city. We just need better roads and reliable public transport.

Dont get me wrong, I love metro's... but we don't NEED one in Beirut... it would be nice, but not crucial. I think if they close a few roads and make them Tram and pedestrian exclusive it would be highly beneficial.
lebnani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #36
Tabouleh
LBN

Likes (Received): 3

What Beirut needs is a link to it's suburbs to ease to daily commute times in and out of the city. I too don't think a Metro is essential and it's costs would outweight it's benefits. We should have a ferry system like the one in Sydney, Australia (hope the one beeing planned and prepared will end up a reality and not just someones dream) and an above ground Train system that goes from Saida and Sour all the way up to Tripoli, that would Follow the Shoreline (even in Beirut, in order to be used in the city as a fast mass transit system). The costs would be minimal compared to a metro and the triangular shape that Beirut has would ensure that over 70% of the Population of the city would have easy access to it. An inner tram or monorail that loops around the city or follows current highway pattern would be nice and feasible too. But then again, why not invest some money in our buses and make them more confortable and worthwhile! So many options, but like it or not, Beirut is a Car City and it will most likely stay that way for at least a while...
Tabouleh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #37
Hassoun
Son of the cedars

My mom was in Beirut from November 2009 to March 2010 and she said she heard people talking about a Metro line connecting Beirut with its northern suburbs.just remembered now when this thread got updated
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #38
LeB-iT

We just need a monorail, it's cheaper than an underground metro and faster to build (like the one they did in Dubai)...Some time in the future if traffic remains as it is the city will CHOKE!
LeB-iT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #39
Elie plus
Beirut: everything 4 sale

Underground metro is feasible, Milan is as rocky as lebanon and they have a massive underground system , it'd ease congestion and cars would become an option ! just think about it!, we only need 2 lines that connect the main districts of beirut and the suburbs. Monorail or underground doesnt really matter as long as it's fast. tramways will not make any difference, they'll only exacerbate the congestion plus they are tooooooooo slow!

LETS KEEP DREAMING though!
Elie plus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #40
Skyland

Likes (Received): 46

I am in Beirut for 4 days and I can confirm: BEIRUT NEEDS A SUBWAY.

I would not know any other city that this desperately needs a subway. The traffic is really horrible and the taxi and microbus not very efficient - it always depends on the demand whether you can go to some place or not. Otherwise its expensive. And the city is so big that you cannot possibly walk - biking again is impossible because of all the cars.

Moreover, there should be a Metro-rail linking Beirut with North and South Coast.

The highway network on the other hand is not bad.
Skyland no está en línea   Reply With Quote